Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Sorry for the double post but
https://youtu.be/EwloW0FJtrw
Season 4 teaser drops on the hour as well. Season itself in 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
Öufi's uniform reminds me of Swiss Vatican Guards, the catholification of the Limbus cast continues relentlessly

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Bound King Heathcliff EGO, eh? WAW or our first ALEPH?

Countzer
May 27, 2022
I imagine we're still in WAW territory, there aren't many EGOs in that slot so it'd feel odd if we started getting ALEPHs at this point.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, we have like 3 WAW EGOs, total, and didn't even meet an ALEPH abnormality. It's still way too soon for ALEPH EGO, IMHO.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023

Countzer posted:

I imagine we're still in WAW territory, there aren't many EGOs in that slot so it'd feel odd if we started getting ALEPHs at this point.

I'd say the same. The way the latest story bit had the sinners completely unaware there even was a classification above WAW implies that the first ALEPH we see is going to be a Very Big Deal.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i definitely think part of that scene was prepping us for some aleph abnos to get reclassified as waws in limbus

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I was surprised at how hardcore Öufi takes contracts but then I remembered how the Head treats tax evasion so I guess it's all Serious Business.

Also wondering the relationship between Bound King and Heath, untill now the flagship BP EGO had some relation to the sinner, right? (4MF obviously referencing Hell Screen, Sunshower representing Yi Sang's depression and Blind Obsession is self evident)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The bindings are described as beautiful yet cruel strips of red fabric. Seems like an apt metaphor for Heathcliff's emotional connection to Catherine. A beautiful woman who binds him to her cruelly through love and pain.

I wonder who gets the other Bound King EGO attack though. Sinclair? Rodion? Meursault?

Edit: Realistically all EGO are meant to have a resonance with their sinner user in some manner. That's how the lore for the Limbus Company borrowed EGO works. It just isn't always clear what the resonance is.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 15, 2024

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The bindings are described as beautiful yet cruel strips of red fabric. Seems like an apt metaphor for Heathcliff's emotional connection to Catherine. A beautiful woman who binds him to her cruelly through love and pain.

shoulda done better at block puzzles, smh

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:

studio mujahideen posted:

i definitely think part of that scene was prepping us for some aleph abnos to get reclassified as waws in limbus

I mean, there aren't that many ALEPHs to begin with. All of the ALEPHs are probably going to stay where they are because they all have the capability to basically murder an entire District on their own, one way or another - I think maybe the only exceptions would be Silent Orchestra (destruction is limited to where you can hear it, so it's probably going to have an impact similar to The Pianist) and Nothing There (destruction is limited to a personal level, although it's essentially immune to all physical damage so it might be ALEPH on that merit alone).

I think what's more likely is that some of the WAWs that are only WAW because they're a bitch to manage (like Ebony Stem) and not because they can murder a five-city-block area worth of fixers without trying are going to get demoted, and some HEs which have the capacity to cause widespread destruction might get promoted to WAW (Singing Machine comes to mind, since that's essentially a zombie apocalypse and can rapidly spiral out of control if there are a lot of able-bodied souls around to get into the music). Hell, Queen Bee might be a candidate for being promoted to ALEPH since if those spores weren't contained to a single facility and even just one can plant a bee parasite in you that can turn a normal person into a giant bee monster in a matter of minutes, that could easily result in half a district getting covered in bees before the wing can even respond.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

wow a Sinner actually getting an ID right before their own season slow down Limbus

It is Heathcliff though so it's either going to be crap or meta with nothing in-between

on Season 4: that EGO is about the level of bitter i'd expect out of book Heathcliff

e: that letter is also hilariously mean, explicitly pointing out how Heathcliff has to sit in the cold corner

Lord_Magmar posted:

tbf in the book it applies to both of them, they're both very stupid and very toxic

Heath seems to be the victim in the limbus version though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 15, 2024

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

In all fairness we've only actually seen Heathcliff's side of things, and most of his truly awful batshittery is after he returns home to find Catherine married to another man.

Edit: Like, we're at the point of the book where Heathcliff goes home worldly and such and then proceeds to systematically abuse and brutalize everyone he knows because Catherine is no longer available to marry. With an invitation to a goddamn wedding (probably) or a funeral (possibly the same thing).

He's going to go absolutely off the rails with his worst personality traits and get pulled back by the Sinners more than likely.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 15, 2024

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
Well, this Canto is certainly going to be painful! Yay?

EDIT: Also, the whole mansion bit, followed by the grotesque figure, is giving me a Gothic vibe.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
The thing with the Bound King is that in his event, you get to choose whether you consider the strips to be chains or bandages, and notably neither is considered the wrong answer because both give you some very good stuff if you pass the check.

The beautiful yet cruel crimson strips of fabric. They pull mercilessly. They are...

Bandages: Success posted:

Bandages, made to heal.

But he will bleed out as soon as these bandages are undone.

To maintain his shape... he must remain bound.

Bandages: Failure posted:

The wounds bound by the bandages rot away little by little; nothing indicates that they are healing.

They serve only to hide the hideous wounds, not to heal them.

---

Chains: Success posted:

Chains, made to imprison.

He will endlessly struggle against the chains to be free.

To regain his authority. To speak the words unuttered, bound by the chains.

Chains: Failure posted:

It thrashed once, then ceased its movements evermore.

Perhaps it was because you defined the fabric as chains. Or, perhaps they really were bound by chains. No one will ever know.

The Abnormality is a guy strapped to a literal throne by these pretty ribbons that do nothing but mask the actual issue at hand, which he regardless cannot untie because without them he is formless. I think the core metaphor of the Abnormality is about being stuck in a self-destructive or simply unhelpful persona because despite it being bad for you, you are too prideful to change, or do not know any other way to be.

In this way, I wouldn't say it's about Cathy manipulating Heathcliff, but rather about how their mutually toxic relationship has both informed Heathcliff's more abrasive tendencies and psychologically trapped him in them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Apparently "Clear All Cathy" is a play on "clear all caches" because Cathy and caches are both spelled 캐시 in Korean.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

KobunFan posted:

Well, this Canto is certainly going to be painful! Yay?

Two cantos in a row with relatively happy endings where the spotlight sinner makes significant progress forward. I'd say we're due some suffering.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I really love Bound King for Heathcliff because the literary character (and pretty implicitly the game character from things we've seen so far) explicitly uses revenge fantasies to cope with the pain of the incredible abuse he suffers as a child (he tells Nelly this as a 12-13 year old after a particularly bad Christmas ended up with him being beaten by Hindley and locked in a tower room without food all day), but as an adult those very fantasies that helped him survive end up choking and strangling him, because even after Cathy dies and there's nothing positive for him in Wuthering Heights anymore he can't let go of his ideas of revenge and mourn somewhere else, he's stuck playing out an increasingly monstrous play because he knows no other way to cope with emotional pain, and it doesn't even work, he starves himself to death probably before the age of 40 and leaves nothing but pain in his wake. It's very fitting for the Bound King's ribbons being both bandages keeping him from bleeding out from mortal wounds and chains keeping him stuck to the throne.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Theantero posted:

The Abnormality is a guy strapped to a literal throne by these pretty ribbons that do nothing but mask the actual issue at hand, which he regardless cannot untie because without them he is formless. I think the core metaphor of the Abnormality is about being stuck in a self-destructive or simply unhelpful persona because despite it being bad for you, you are too prideful to change, or do not know any other way to be.

In this way, I wouldn't say it's about Cathy manipulating Heathcliff, but rather about how their mutually toxic relationship has both informed Heathcliff's more abrasive tendencies and psychologically trapped him in them.
I don't actually think it's necessarily about Cathy at all, except in the fact that everything is at least a little bit about Cathy to Heathcliff. Going by the book, his childhood tendencies to use revenge fantasies to cope with pain predate his relationship with Cathy really turning toxic. There's always something at least a little bit toxic about their relationship because in the book they're both trapped in a very weird abusive environment and the other person is the only one they feel really understands them and loves them unconditionally, but the thing that really marks a steep decline in their relationship is when Cathy starts spending more and more time in Proper Society and being given attention and care Heathcliff isn't, and she starts to see Heathcliff's condition (of being an abuse victim denied a proper education and neglected) as something worthy of contempt.

I'm not quite sure how Project Moon is going to take this Canto, but the emphasis in the trailer on childhood abuse Heathcliff suffers in the book from other people rather than their own mutually toxic relationship makes me think the Bound King ego is more about his reactions to that then him being bound by Cathy.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
A better analysis than mine for sure, but the core point (or at least what I was going for) about the Bound King being chiefly about Heathcliff's own self-destructive coping regarding the events in his life remains. The fact that it did not start with Cathy in the book just reinforces the interpretation, as you've noted.

TL;DR: it's a good choice of E.G.O.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Theantero posted:

A better analysis than mine for sure, but the core point (or at least what I was going for) about the Bound King being chiefly about Heathcliff's own self-destructive coping regarding the events in his life remains. The fact that it did not start with Cathy in the book just reinforces the interpretation, as you've noted.

TL;DR: it's a good choice of E.G.O.
Yeah I really like it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...I'm feeling dumb right now. I used up a ton of Starlight on the Higher Tier EGO buffs so I could fill the compedium... only to realize just now fusing 3 Tier 3 gives you a Tier 4 and if you somehow manage to get them all the same sin you can manipulate the result (3 Tier III Sloth would give me Downpour, 3 Tier III Lust would give Red Gossipium)...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Who are you thinking will share Bound King's EGO with Heath, like Outis did with Sunshower and Ryoshu with Blind Obsession?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Junpei posted:

Who are you thinking will share Bound King's EGO with Heath, like Outis did with Sunshower and Ryoshu with Blind Obsession?

Faust.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Junpei posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure. Maybe Meursault, in the sense that he's fundamentally shaped by the requests of those around him (and because Chains of Others and Regret shows that he fits with prison imagery)? Maybe Hong Lu, because he's also deeply affected by a horrible family but in a way that you'd initially view as lovely fabric instead of chains?

I need to see what the EGO actually does in motion to guess, but they're almost certainly going to show us the second user at the same time so what can I do?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Junpei posted:

Hrm... my base instinct is either Faust or Ryoshu, and Ryoshu got it last time so probably Faust. Meursault is all about that chain imagery but it feels slightly off to me, and while Ishmael certainly has self-destructive self-imposed bindings, she made significant progress on that in the current Canto. Yi Sang and Hong Lu don't feel prideful or angry enough in general.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

PetraCore posted:

Hrm... my base instinct is either Faust or Ryoshu, and Ryoshu got it last time so probably Faust. Meursault is all about that chain imagery but it feels slightly off to me, and while Ishmael certainly has self-destructive self-imposed bindings, she made significant progress on that in the current Canto. Yi Sang and Hong Lu don't feel prideful or angry enough in general.

Also the Bound King just doesn't... feel like the kind of self-destructive Ishmael is? Honestly, I'm not sure I'd call it self-destructive at all? Profoundly hurt and recovering from it in a way that's equally harmful, but not the obsessive or randomly violent destruction you sometimes get with Ishmael.

Yi Sang, I agree. He has pride, but not the kind of pride that leads to you getting chained/mummified on your throne. And Faust... I honestly don't know what to do with her, and she's one of the game's mystery boxes so I doubt I'll know what to do with her for a long time. If you think she fits, you have a better idea than me.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
My question is, given all this speculation, and the way both Cantos 4 and 5 ended 'happily' for the others, along with the tone of Wuthering Heights, are we going to see our first Distorted/E.G.O Corroded Sinner? It's certainly shaping up like it, given the imagery of the Bound King being very different that 4MF, Sunshower, or Blind Obsession—all of them had the Sinners at least standing on their own, after all.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

inclined to think Don or Sinclair might be our other throne recipient, but thats more hunch than thorough consideration.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

VinnyDonuts posted:

I mean, there aren't that many ALEPHs to begin with. All of the ALEPHs are probably going to stay where they are because they all have the capability to basically murder an entire District on their own, one way or another - I think maybe the only exceptions would be Silent Orchestra (destruction is limited to where you can hear it, so it's probably going to have an impact similar to The Pianist) and Nothing There (destruction is limited to a personal level, although it's essentially immune to all physical damage so it might be ALEPH on that merit alone).

We also need to consider that a lot of the ALEPH are in the Library, which got re-located to the Outskirts. Combine that with the knowledge that there may be only one Abnos per species and well, it might take a while for an ALEPH to show up. Probably gonna be a fan-favorite to drive up the sales/player count too.

Theantero posted:

Am I the only one that see Angela in this situation? Girl got trauma, is unable to move past said trauma and fear she will be nothing else if she does so. She even get bounded to her throne in her bad ending after killing Roland and the Patron Librarian.

PetraCore posted:

Yi Sang requires Wrath EGO ressource to launch Crow Eye View funnily enough. If it does end up being Faust, the Crayon = Faust theory just gained another point.

NotteBoy97
Aug 17, 2021
I wonder if there's going to be multiple Cathy's in this Canto beyond the 2 in the book. Cause Clear All Cathys feels like it should have a sort of zombie horde of Cathys. Makes me a bit worried about if some real nasty City nonsense will happen with Cathy jr of older Cathy uploaded herself into the 'younger model' or whatever.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

NotteBoy97 posted:

I wonder if there's going to be multiple Cathy's in this Canto beyond the 2 in the book. Cause Clear All Cathys feels like it should have a sort of zombie horde of Cathys. Makes me a bit worried about if some real nasty City nonsense will happen with Cathy jr of older Cathy uploaded herself into the 'younger model' or whatever.

I think it's more likely to be metaphorical. The pun is that Clear All Cathys can be read as Clear All Cache in Korean. So we're going to have to clear all of Heathcliff's "Cathys". His memory (cache) of this woman who is either getting married, dying, or both.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I hope Oufi Heathcliff has a fun mechanic, given the whole Deals and Contracts focus, I hope it's something like the Pluto fight but with no Blockma cheese available in Limbus, you'll actually have to engage with it

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think it's more likely to be metaphorical. The pun is that Clear All Cathys can be read as Clear All Cache in Korean. So we're going to have to clear all of Heathcliff's "Cathys". His memory (cache) of this woman who is either getting married, dying, or both.
"cl" is also similar to "d" so it could also be read as "dear all cathys" in lowercase English letters.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Nah, the next Canto will be a zombie apocalypse scenario against a ravenous horde of infinitely replicating Cathys.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Canto begins as a tanker truck full of K Corp's Samjuice T-bones Cathy's funeral procession, launching the contents of both into an R Corp hatchery unit being transported on the other lane...

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
we have one week.

suppress all cathys but one.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

TeeQueue posted:

we have one week.

suppress all cathys but one.
That's cathygorically impossible.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It will be a cathystrophe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I cathyn't believe you guys.

You know, given we're absolute going into Wuthering Highs, which is Heathcliff's childhood home, and Limbus Company is having no objections about it, there's a high chance the L Corp Branch facility is connected to the estate (specially if I'm correct and the Earshaws are connected in some way to T Corp).

If they gave me a nickle for every time a L Corp Branch was linked to a middle-high class family's house related to a Sinner, I'd have two nickles. Which isn't a lot but I gotta wonder what Ayin was thinking when constructing the Plan.