Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tequila Bob posted:

Valve has done so much good in making Linux a viable gaming platform, especially with Proton and the Steam Deck. Granted, they were building off of what Wine started, but they made it so much better.

I'm still not entirely sure why people hate the Epic store though.

It really is just leftover ill will from EGS's worst possible opening moves. Ironically if the poached exclusives were good enough to lure people over, and if they were truly exclusive rather than timed, enough people would have by the bullet and this wouldn't be an ongoing issue.

People skeptical of the sheer customer antipathy PC gamers had for EGS used to joke about comparing it to the MW2 boycott, but the big difference is that people actually legit wanted to play MW2. Pretty much all of EGS's early offerings were, wait for a sale or wait for them to get a real 1.0 release on Steam (like Hades).

EGS also offered a bunch of games for free, and that definitely would've worked if people really wanted to play those games. But, as it turned out, not a lot of people were willing to try the Total War Troy B-Team for free when they were already playing Total Warhammer or TW Three Kingdoms, two absolute bangers. And this was also at the time when Xbox game pass was doing its big push too so they didn't even have a monopoly on mid-to-high profile games being free or nearly so.

So, essentially, nothing they did truly managed to ever overcome that initial bad first impression that they, frankly, earned through poaching those exclusives.

And now EGS is infamously a marketing black hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Colonel posted:

i dont think egs is a great platform function-wise but playing the free games isn't really any more hassle than downloading something off steam unless it's one of the rare games that actually uses egs' drm and you want to move it across storage drives at some point. most games you get free off egs do not use the drm and thus, you can just use it as a downloader for a drm free game and never acknowledge it again

Is there a quick way to check if they use the drm?

My main issue with EGS games, is that they’re a PITA to get working with Steam Input, which I practically always use. Partially for convenience, partially for RSI reasons (I basically can’t use the stick buttons anymore, for one, and Input has been a life saver in that regard).

Other great Steam perk is effortlessly being able to share my library with my brother without account sharing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Runa posted:

It really is just leftover ill will from EGS's worst possible opening moves. Ironically if the poached exclusives were good enough to lure people over, and if they were truly exclusive rather than timed, enough people would have by the bullet and this wouldn't be an ongoing issue.

People skeptical of the sheer customer antipathy PC gamers had for EGS used to joke about comparing it to the MW2 boycott, but the big difference is that people actually legit wanted to play MW2. Pretty much all of EGS's early offerings were, wait for a sale or wait for them to get a real 1.0 release on Steam (like Hades).

EGS also offered a bunch of games for free, and that definitely would've worked if people really wanted to play those games. But, as it turned out, not a lot of people were willing to try the Total War Troy B-Team for free when they were already playing Total Warhammer or TW Three Kingdoms, two absolute bangers. And this was also at the time when Xbox game pass was doing its big push too so they didn't even have a monopoly on mid-to-high profile games being free or nearly so.

So, essentially, nothing they did truly managed to ever overcome that initial bad first impression that they, frankly, earned through poaching those exclusives.

And now EGS is infamously a marketing black hole.

Which is all fair, but it seems silly to me to care that much to uphold steam or wait for like a year plus for releases because steam is just constantly getting shittier. Even blocking poo poo out via their options the store page is essentially unusable, which isn't that huge of a deal because half the time it doesn't even want to load in on their own application.

TBF what got me over avoiding EGS was I got Nioh 2 for free so they might just need to give out better free games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rinkles posted:

Is there a quick way to check if they use the drm?

pcgamingwiki

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_Remake_Intergrade

it lists what drm each release of a game uses right at the top. if you see that egs symbol it's locked to egs there. if symbol you do not see, game be free

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
really just make it a rule to check this wiki any time you're considering buying a pc game or even just loading up an old one. it links to useful qol mods and tells you if there's anything notably funky with the game in particular

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Which is all fair, but it seems silly to me to care that much to uphold steam or wait for like a year plus for releases because steam is just constantly getting shittier. Even blocking poo poo out via their options the store page is essentially unusable, which isn't that huge of a deal because half the time it doesn't even want to load in on their own application.

TBF what got me over avoiding EGS was I got Nioh 2 for free so they might just need to give out better free games.

Yeah, that'd probably do it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
PC gaming sounds like a massive faff

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's wading through high water to make sure you have your ideal personalized version of a pc port of a ps2 rpg from 2004. i enjoy it because i'm a creature

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Somehow, a port of a Star Wars multiplayer game twenty years old now takes up 60 gigs of space. And you can't play unless you're in the lucky 200 people to connect to the servers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I mean, 4k upscaled textured are gonna take up more space (it’s another whether they’re necessary)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
thats not a pc thing the port has problems on console too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
feeling kind of pissed off at king's field iv right now. i pushed through like half of the widda palace and just ended up dying because it's such an extreme spike in difficulty that brings such a massive drain on resources and it's so, loving, long, and has no save points that i could find. i could go back to stock up extra hard on supplies but i'm really sick of how slow trekking back and forth takes in this game

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

The Colonel posted:

feeling kind of pissed off at king's field iv right now. i pushed through like half of the widda palace and just ended up dying because it's such an extreme spike in difficulty that brings such a massive drain on resources and it's so, loving, long, and has no save points that i could find. i could go back to stock up extra hard on supplies but i'm really sick of how slow trekking back and forth takes in this game

Is it the electric dragon? That section was ridiculous.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I do hope you like it!

I got like 2 hours in (made it to the second floor) and I am enjoying it alot!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just picked up a bunch of rpgs on a steam sale. Can anyone give any other suggestions? I've been doing deep dives of old rpgs that were weird or interesting by a youtuber named Mr. Edders123

I bought Wasteland 3, Avernum 1-6, Deathtrap Dungeon, Age of Decadence , Blade of Darkness, Outward, Gothic 1-3 and Black Geyser. I'm open to anything if it's an rpg and interesting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Undernauts, Underrail, Undertale

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

Is it the electric dragon? That section was ridiculous.

nah it's the palace full of weird snake head people

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i bought the etrian odyssey hd bundle so i can finally play 2 + 3 later this year, excited

not sure i'll buy that much else on this sale. unicorn overlord still has my attention for now. also playing some of these older games has piqued my interest in some snes/ps1 jrpgs, mostly because i am so befuddled by my experience with star ocean 2 i now want to experience more of its contemporaries. i've got a bunch of games loaded on this miyoo mini so i might gently caress around and figure out whats going on with (scrolls through list) vagrant story?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Shard posted:

I just picked up a bunch of rpgs on a steam sale. Can anyone give any other suggestions? I've been doing deep dives of old rpgs that were weird or interesting by a youtuber named Mr. Edders123

I bought Wasteland 3, Avernum 1-6, Deathtrap Dungeon, Age of Decadence , Blade of Darkness, Outward, Gothic 1-3 and Black Geyser. I'm open to anything if it's an rpg and interesting.

troubleshooter abnadoned children

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Shard posted:

tactical nexus >:)

e: choosing to leave it like this

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Operencia is on sale for like 7 USD buy it and then come up with a scathing summary that so thoroughly roasts me I slink off into the shadows to stop recommending it to people

The Ruined King is basically Battle Chasers 2 but with a different licensed property and not bad for basically 12 dollars

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

nrook posted:

tactical nexus >:)

e: choosing to leave it like this

oh yeah get tactical nexus
tactical nexus and troubleshooter

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh yeah get tactical nexus
tactical nexus and troubleshooter

yes I also endorse this combination. troubleshooter was so good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crystal Project has the good kind of soundtrack, aka the instruments I like, not like other lovely rpgs with bad music (instruments I dont like)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
which category is the electric guitar in

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

abraham linksys posted:

i bought the etrian odyssey hd bundle so i can finally play 2 + 3 later this year,

So, I was thinking about picking this up, but I was a bit confused by some of the reviews.

It looked like these versions (or maybe this just applied to EO1? Again, unclear) are based on the original release, and are missing content/balance changes added in a later release?

The review said that the rebalancing changes being missing wasn't necessarily a bad idea thing, but they framed that in the context of playing the game "as originally released".

As someone who never played these games "on release", would the lack of this rebalanced classes or whatever be noticeable/a pain?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Etrian Odyssey 1 and 2 had 3DS rereleases, Untold. These games completely altered several core systems, changed several class's skill sets, added new systems, and added a new story mode with preset parties and much more dialog.

These are not objectively superior versions. The new systems they add add a lot of RNG and grinding if you want to be optimal in a way several players feel detracts from the core experience, they have their own balance issues, and EO1 Untold's story mode is generally seen as forgettable. EO2U's story mode is generally seen in a more positive light, but the game itself is still not objectively superior. Seeing as in both cases the new systems involve being able to get characters skills outside their base kit, they seem largely like a concession to the fixed nature of the story mode party, but the fact that you can also stack a skill the character does have to increase its level means that, again, there's a lot of finagling for 'optimal' setups.

Furthermore, the HD games have several rebalances of their own, especially in EO2's case. These changes mostly exist to make the weakest class noticeably stronger.

The untold games had some mild QoL additions, but HD also has some QoL features.

EO3 had no Untold release, so that isn't a factor for it.

Largely speaking, most EO fans tend to think the HD (Or even the original releases) versions are superior to the Untolds, though there is some desire to see a rerelease of EO2U just for its story mode. EO1 feels a little dated compared to later games in the series, but those are largely design level issues that Untold more patchworks over than fixes.

You would not especially notice that the untolds existed if someone didn't tell you they did, and you aren't missing much on a gameplay level.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 15, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The untolds also had a few new classes. Highlander in EO1U, and Fafnir in EO2U. Highlander is a class I can understand missing, since it's a more interesting physical melee class than the ones that exist in EO1, but Fafnir is intentionally overpowered and would be a pain to bring back down to earth. The games also annoyingly locked you out of using them in the classic, build your own party mode until you'd cleared story mode.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there not a plot in the original/HD games?

Or is the "story mode" just "the plot with a fixed party"?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There is a plot, but there is not a lot of time devoted to it. There's a brief bit of intro, and then every few floors of dungeon you get a plot beat that's usually covered in a few lines of dialog. Around the midpoint you get some kind of revelation or twist, and then continue as normal until the ending, where there's a bit more plot, credits. The random townspeople get some characterization through sidequests and incidental dialog, and there are antagonists, but largely they aren't really story heavy games. At no point do any of your created characters have any dialog.

The Untold story modes have the party talking basically every floor, often multiple times a floor, added subplots (often with their own bespoke minidungeons or bosses), and the characters having back and forths with the townspeople/villagers, rather than just them talking at you for a few lines.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 15, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Grabbed it then. Seems cool!

Also, LMAO at the "Dark Hunter" class...

Skills: gag, shackles, cuffs, ecstasy, climax

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you're willing to brave some MTL jank and fiddly gameplay, The Leviathan's Fantasy is a cool game on sale for just under $10 right now. It's a Chinese fantasy city builder that I'm told is closest to Majesty, where you build a town for adventurers and send them through a portal to other locations to do quests and gather resources for you. You don't control the adventurers directly, but rather assign them tasks via bounties. You can make money via tourism and by seeing to adventurers' needs, including rest, equipment, and entertainment.

In my one session so far I encountered a bit of jank as my adventuring area was invaded by hostile adventurers and grossly overpowered starfish that were spawn camping my adventurers, but they were tied to a specific invasion mechanic with a resource gathering building and all disappeared when I demolished said building, so I guess I just wasn't adequately prepared for that.

There's also a good variety of adventurers and enemy types. Adventurers wield one of around 8 different weapon types and have a plethora of skills they can learn. I've only scratched the surface but you can do poo poo like turn an adventurer into a vampire, or teach them a skill manual to give them an additional skill tree. In that first adventuring island I saw slimes, various flavors of crab including Giant Enemy, a big old demon dude, the king of starfish, crocodiles, and turtles.

I'm still working my way through early game stuff but I'm having a lot of fun so far. This'll probably tide me over until Dragon's Dogma 2 comes out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PS4's showing me there's another sale going on, I'm looking on PSprices to see if any of the games I want are also in the mix and I find Infinity Strash: DRAGON QUEST The Adventure of Dai finally released last year completely under my radar. Did anyone play it? It must've gotten lost in the shuffle of Granblue Fantasy Relink and FF7 Rebirth but how does it compare as far as 'doe each party member feel distinct from each other?'

The Colonel posted:

well the pc version predates square enix allowing you to play their pc ports with japanese text so i had english subtitles yeah. they changed the "vibe" of some lines but i think most complaints about the translation itself being bad are overexaggerated, there's no loss of context in it, the actual problem with ff13's conveyance is basically just that the cutscenes are a bit disjointed because of having to fit prerendered scenes in that were made before the game really got anywhere in its actual development process. but also it's still not that confusing even with that issue, like people brought up vanille's village as making no sense and i do feel like the game could've spent more time there elaborating it into something more interesting instead of having it just be another mini dungeon but, the complaint about not getting why you're fixing the robot is funny to me because they literally say repeatedly that the robot is vanille's friend.

Oh right I totally forgot that you did it with English subtitles on. Well alright so nothing came off odd in dialogue specifically it's just that it was kinda aimlessly created and then stitched together after the fact.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Barudak posted:

Operencia is on sale for like 7 USD buy it and then come up with a scathing summary that so thoroughly roasts me I slink off into the shadows to stop recommending it to people

I tried that out a while ago and felt like I was spending more time watching battle animations than actually playing the game, which is pretty prohibitive for a dungeon crawler

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The Untold versions of Etrian Odyssey 1 and 2 are basically entirely different games from the DS originals (and HD equivalents.) They're on the more drastically different end of the remake spectrum, not just the same game with a shiny coat of paint. They are extremely different experiences, even tossing story mode out of the equation. Backporting changes that weren't just simple QOL fixes would not have worked at all. They have a bunch of different internal math and mechanics for that to even work and anyone who tries to insist otherwise like those reviews is talking out of their butts.

The RNG aspects of the remakes (the grimoire stones, the system for cross classing there) definitely sucks but absolutely does not need to be engaged with to beat the games.

I would say the balancing aspects of the remakes are generally better overall barring a few exceptions, but again, different mechanics, and carrying that back is basically impossible without turning OG EO1 and 2 into a weird chimera of a game that's faithful to neither the original or the remake. (EO1 Survivalist is a god. EOU Survivalist is an awful class that is only kept aloft by 1 extremely good skill. EO2 Survivalist is possibly the worst class in the entire series unless you are a speedrunner. EO2U Survivalist is an incredibly overpowered hybrid offensive and support unit, to highlight just how different the balancing is here.)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Gotcha.

Well I'm going to start EO1 today. Other than the fact that I am absolutely taking the BDSM class, are there any "noob traps" to avoid, or classes that are essentially mandatory?

I'll be playing on the normal difficulty (ie, not "picnic").

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Annath posted:

Gotcha.

Well I'm going to start EO1 today. Other than the fact that I am absolutely taking the BDSM class, are there any "noob traps" to avoid, or classes that are essentially mandatory?

I'll be playing on the normal difficulty (ie, not "picnic").

- Status ailments are generally real loving good, you can usually find at least one that shuts down a given encounter (but not always one you have available with a given party)
- never leave town without an Ariadne Thread, like ever. Ideally you just pace yourself so you have enough MP/healing to make the trip back on foot, but sometimes poo poo happens.

Just for starters

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Good to know!

Also, some of the character portraits are really cute!

Others are... definitely something...

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Got Star Ocean 2 once the sale hit and looking forward to pearing into peaches. Also got Caves of Lore on a whim - anyone familiar with that one?

Also are there any good Steamdeck-compatable tactical RPGs that are easy to play with a controller? Fell Seal doesn't load cloud saves on the Steamdeck, and Disgaea isn't supported at all I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Annath posted:

Others are... definitely something...

Key representation for "I'd rather be a sub, really, but I guess I can do it for my girlfriends" section of the dominatrix community (possibly upwards of 50% of it)