Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

grittyreboot posted:

BG3 spoilers:
So Karlach's infernal engine is about to explode no matter what you do. That sucks. But then in act3 you find out the Steel Watch are using a stable, upgraded infernal engine based on her own engine's design? Cool! Let's free the engineers who invented this better engine. Then no one mentions giving her a stable engine. There's not even a throwaway line about why it wouldn't work. Why even mention the Steel Watch has poo poo based on her design in the first place? That's bad DMing

Would there be a way of replacing it? Isn't that like doing a heart transplant, except with some wonky magic that may or may not work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Would there be a way of replacing it? Isn't that like doing a heart transplant, except with some wonky magic that may or may not work?

these are good questions to be answered by the game

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I suspect there was a quest line that Larian cut from the final game

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The thing dragging down Unicorn Overlord is that I can't get multiple rings of the maiden.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn’t doing a heart transplant in d&dland just a matter of a guy with an axe and having a Cleric on standbye?

Axe goes in -> heart comes out -> new heart goes in -> cleric casts Raise Dead.

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Mar 15, 2024

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn’t doing a heart transplant in d&dland just a matter of a guy with an axe and having a Cleric on standbye?

Axe goes in -> heart comes out -> new heart goes in -> cleric casts Raise Dead.

I'm not super on D&D rules, but I think once major organs start getting involved you get into more of a necromancy thing then healing. Raise dead is supposed to be more like magical cpr.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

BG3: Gale has a Scroll of True Resurrection hidden away and I’m real salty we can’t use that to fix Karlach. Toss her in some lava to destroy her body, use the scroll, boom! No more infernal engine.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

I'm not super on D&D rules, but I think once major organs start getting involved you get into more of a necromancy thing then healing. Raise dead is supposed to be more like magical cpr.

yeah your best bet at that level is probably having a druid reincarnate you, and just accepting that you might wake up as an elf or a kobold

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tunicate posted:

yeah your best bet at that level is probably having a druid reincarnate you, and just accepting that you might wake up as an elf or a kobold

Why would you present the worst possible option and then the best possible option right after each other like that?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CitizenKain posted:

Yes, actually! Revivify works on someone who's died within the last minute. In theory if you had enough money and or wizards you could just keep casting revivify on someone every time they died during their stupid surgery until it stuck.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

There is always gonna be a massive gulf between how the narrative and the gameplay handle death, and while I wouldn't say BG3's writers always manage it gracefully - particularly in Karlach's case - trying to bridge that gap rather than gloss over it is always gonna make it way worse. Would Ketheric's story have been better if they'd tried to explain why he couldn't just buy a Scroll of Revivify for Isobel rather than sell his soul to the god of necromancy? No, that would've sucked

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I mean, if you have a big enough pool of HP, you could probably just tank the heart surgery damage. Greataxes deal 1d12 damage, scalpels deal 1d2 or 1d3 (going by 3.5 rules, apparently scalpels aren't a thing in 5th?)... one good, solid hit with the greataxe to split the ribcage, a grapple check to make sure it's clear, then, what, 5 or 6 scalpel cuts to cut the heart out? No reason why it shouldn't be survivable if you have 60 hp. Sure, a Cleric may need to boost your Con first if you're a bit squishier, and they may need to apply a few Cure light wounds spells during the procedure, but I don't see why people are dragging Necromancers into this.

... what? Why are you all staring at me like that?

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Nuebot posted:

Yes, actually! Revivify works on someone who's died within the last minute. In theory if you had enough money and or wizards you could just keep casting revivify on someone every time they died during their stupid surgery until it stuck.

Randalor posted:

I mean, if you have a big enough pool of HP, you could probably just tank the heart surgery damage. Greataxes deal 1d12 damage, scalpels deal 1d2 or 1d3 (going by 3.5 rules, apparently scalpels aren't a thing in 5th?)... one good, solid hit with the greataxe to split the ribcage, a grapple check to make sure it's clear, then, what, 5 or 6 scalpel cuts to cut the heart out? No reason why it shouldn't be survivable if you have 60 hp. Sure, a Cleric may need to boost your Con first if you're a bit squishier, and they may need to apply a few Cure light wounds spells during the procedure, but I don't see why people are dragging Necromancers into this.

... what? Why are you all staring at me like that?
Faerun's Anatomy sounding like a pretty good dark comedy.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the very first tutorial popup in Code Vein when you get to an actual level instead of the dreamy training platform tells you to press the quick attack button when behind an enemy to do a backstab

despite a convenient enemy hunched over happily munching on a corpse with his back turned to you for practice, I have never once gotten the backstab to proc correctly on this or any other unaware enemy - I’ve only gotten it completely at random in fights where they happen to swing around weird to attack my NPC partner at just the right time

I have no idea what the gently caress but it’s really frustrating, there are enemies you’re obviously supposed to be able to sneak up and backstab but I always end up just smacking them with literally the weakest attack in my arsenal at any given time.

Also I have no idea how the leveling system works, it seems like you just increase your level and it increases HP and Stamina and maaaaaybe damage if you’re really lucky, and levels are shared across all your blood codes…but then there’s tips that are like “increase your willpower to make this attack more effective” but I can’t see any way to upgrade stats individually like in Soulsbornering.

(also this is minor and petty but the character creator is pretty fun but the character models have some of the worst clipping I’ve ever seen.)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

There is always gonna be a massive gulf between how the narrative and the gameplay handle death, and while I wouldn't say BG3's writers always manage it gracefully - particularly in Karlach's case - trying to bridge that gap rather than gloss over it is always gonna make it way worse. Would Ketheric's story have been better if they'd tried to explain why he couldn't just buy a Scroll of Revivify for Isobel rather than sell his soul to the god of necromancy? No, that would've sucked

Counterpoint, if your narrarive hinges on not understanding how the world even works, it is at best clumsy and at worst turns all your characters into ignorant morons.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bussamove posted:

BG3: Gale has a Scroll of True Resurrection hidden away and I’m real salty we can’t use that to fix Karlach. Toss her in some lava to destroy her body, use the scroll, boom! No more infernal engine.

This has never been a very convincing argument to me whenever it comes up because the process of even acquiring Gale's scroll takes you through Faerun's equivalent of eight-factor authentication to a comical degree, the idea that it could then be used on any random schmuck and still work isn't any more believable.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I'm not sure how it works with Revivify in 5e, but the big problem I'd think would be more Karlach's soul getting claimed by Hell before you have the chance to resurrect her (which is a danger with resurrection magic in most editions of D&D).

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

exquisite tea posted:

This has never been a very convincing argument to me whenever it comes up because the process of even acquiring Gale's scroll takes you through Faerun's equivalent of eight-factor authentication to a comical degree, the idea that it could then be used on any random schmuck and still work isn't any more believable.

Surely the reason it has all that security in the first place is because scrolls like that are not exclusive to a specific person and someone could otherwise steal it and use it for something else. I mean, you can use the scroll on someone else in-game if you want to, it's not restricted to Gale.

But even if you assume that's an oversight and the scroll is somehow Gale-exclusive, and that Gale himself can't remove that restriction, just the fact that it exists means "Hey, now that we're in a big city let's try to buy a scroll of resurrection" should at least be something the characters talk about, even if the conclusion is that it won't work for some reason.

It's part of a larger trend, I think part of what makes Karlach's " "inevitable" " death not work for a lot of people is that the game is, in general, willing to run with the fact that death can be fixed in D&D. Gale, Astarion, Lae'zel, and the player themselves can all canonically die and come back to life and acknowledge it in dialogue. Karlach's storyline just ignores the possibility of revival even existing, which could work if the entire game was like that, but can be jarring when other parts of the game will make it part of the story.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Are pants only cosmetic in Cyberpunk? I get rid of any clothes that don't give a bonus, and I'm 35 hours in and so far all I have is upper body stuff, and I'm just running around town with my dick flopping around everywhere.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

They could've asked Gale's buddy Elminster to use Wish and give her a regular Tiefling heart again

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

credburn posted:

Are pants only cosmetic in Cyberpunk? I get rid of any clothes that don't give a bonus, and I'm 35 hours in and so far all I have is upper body stuff, and I'm just running around town with my dick flopping around everywhere.

I think all clothes is cosmetic now. at launch, they weren't

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

credburn posted:

What are you doing in the game, though?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

They could've asked Gale's buddy Elminster to use Wish and give her a regular Tiefling heart again

to be forgotten-realms appropriate, this would take place as a random encounter of an old man waving a stick at his dog yelling 'heel! heel!', but actually it's elminister and it's an epic Staff of Heal

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tunicate posted:

to be forgotten-realms appropriate, this would take place as a random encounter of an old man waving a stick at his dog yelling 'heel! heel!', but actually it's elminister and it's an epic Staff of Heal

traditionally elminster's staff is just a stick, it's his pipe and his underwear where he keeps his big magics in case of emergency

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I too keep my big magic in my underwear.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bussamove posted:

I too keep my big magic in my underwear.

Oh, so it's a disappearing act.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Meowywitch posted:

I think all clothes is cosmetic now. at launch, they weren't

I know this sort of adds to the "immersion" of the game, but I sure don't care what my character is wearing in a first-person game, even if you do get to look in the mirror occasionally. But anyway, they're not all cosmetic -- I have a vest, shirt, helmet and goggles that give various bonuses. But pants and shoes, so far, not a single one.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

Tell me you modded cyberpunk without telling me you modded cyberpunk

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

ZeusCannon posted:

Tell me you modded cyberpunk without telling me you modded cyberpunk

It's vanilla Cyberpunk. Dick-floppage is an integral part of the experience.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Lobok posted:

Oh, so it's a disappearing act.

Hey don’t knock it, I can cast Hideous Laughter on demand!

:smith:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

credburn posted:

After you've completed the questline for one of the companions there's an extra mission where they spend the night with you. Didn't realize the game strips you of your clothing when this happens and I'd been running around Night City fully naked for hours.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

After you've completed the questline for one of the companions there's an extra mission where they spend the night with you. Didn't realize the game strips you of your clothing when this happens and I'd been running around Night City fully naked for hours.

That happened to me once, only in real-life.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

They must have changed something then as my memory is they removed the nudity from everything except the inventory screen and a few specific scenes.

Which is fine but honestly very funny considering the marketing

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rockman Reserve posted:

the very first tutorial popup in Code Vein when you get to an actual level instead of the dreamy training platform tells you to press the quick attack button when behind an enemy to do a backstab

despite a convenient enemy hunched over happily munching on a corpse with his back turned to you for practice, I have never once gotten the backstab to proc correctly on this or any other unaware enemy - I’ve only gotten it completely at random in fights where they happen to swing around weird to attack my NPC partner at just the right time

I have no idea what the gently caress but it’s really frustrating, there are enemies you’re obviously supposed to be able to sneak up and backstab but I always end up just smacking them with literally the weakest attack in my arsenal at any given time.

Also I have no idea how the leveling system works, it seems like you just increase your level and it increases HP and Stamina and maaaaaybe damage if you’re really lucky, and levels are shared across all your blood codes…but then there’s tips that are like “increase your willpower to make this attack more effective” but I can’t see any way to upgrade stats individually like in Soulsbornering.

(also this is minor and petty but the character creator is pretty fun but the character models have some of the worst clipping I’ve ever seen.)

I tried the demo once and it was a very similar experience. With the added downside of the animations feeling stiff and awful and the whole thing feeling like Souls described through a game of telephone.

My breaking point was 100% the leveling system being poorly explained so as to be completely impenetrable.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
On my 2nd playthrough of Elden Ring and, gently caress, I hate that NPC quests gently caress off to another part of the map without any hints as to where they went. Half the time, it's some area I cleared out and have no need to re-visit. All the DS games do this for some reason.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arivia posted:

I'm not sure how it works with Revivify in 5e, but the big problem I'd think would be more Karlach's soul getting claimed by Hell before you have the chance to resurrect her (which is a danger with resurrection magic in most editions of D&D).

It works on her if she dies in the game.

BiggerBoat posted:

On my 2nd playthrough of Elden Ring and, gently caress, I hate that NPC quests gently caress off to another part of the map without any hints as to where they went. Half the time, it's some area I cleared out and have no need to re-visit. All the DS games do this for some reason.

Usually they give you a vague hint if you talk to them

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

In retrospect it’s kinda funny how Elden Ring is easily the nicest From game about sidequests (hardly any are missable, the only one that’s a mean gotcha is the Boc one which only kills one NPC that wasn’t providing a lot of gameplay utility) and it’s still kind of a jank pile. I think a LOT of players have probably never started the Ranni questline the way the game “intends” with Rogier pointing you in her direction because of Destined Death, and some probably missed it entirely because she disappears from the world temporarily if you start the Rahdan Festival…which always starts when you make it to the Altus Pleateu, which doesn't actually require you to ever step foot in Caelid.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I thought that the quests would be so obtuse as well for people not used to FROM's habits but according to Playstation tropies like 23% of players got the Ranni ending which is way higher than I expected.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Splatoon 3's newest horde mode map *finally* came up for the first time since it was introduced at the beginning of the month, and it's probably the most fun one in the game :toot:

Except it has a weapon selection I don't really like :negative:

The sometimes-iffy weapon loadout is one of my consistent complaints for that mode, they sometimes give you sets that are skewed weak or just don't work so well with the challenges that come up. And it's a pain, because you're stuck with it for the mode's ~2 day map rotations. You want some consistency most of the time, but that's a bit long when you're stuck with a crap loadout. I think the first change I'd make would be to have each map rotation switch the loadout halfway through - you'd have less time with the occasional really fun one, but I think it'd be more than balanced by switching away sooner from ones you don't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Yeah From's approach to sidequests is a major drag on all of the Souls games, it's the one thing I'd change about them. At least it's in a game that wants you to play it through multiple times, so having a guide on NG+ is viable, but it is annoying and I don't understand the reasoning behind it.