Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

neurobasalmedium posted:

Map showing all countries with a territory dispute...and inventing a new one with regard to Svalbard.

The Republic of Finland is not involved in any territorial disputes other than many people wanting to get rid of Ahvenanmaa, but Sweden doesn't want it.

e: I'm not counting the Russian "Finland is Russian clay" propaganda as an actual dispute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tei posted:

Latinoamerica + Guinea Equaltorial + Spain + Filipinas = Latin Empire

but evidently only female people from the philippines

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well it took two world wars, but we are happy to announce Germany and Poland now have no territorial disputes so clearly things worked themselves out and we are calling it a great success overall

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

BonHair posted:

That map needs a date. I'm pretty sure the Danish dispute was our lengthy war with Canada, which was resolved last year I think.
Unless you want to count my claim on "Southern Sweden".

In a couple of years, we're gonna have a dispute over Greenland with USA, but that's all hypothetical right now

The title is also terrible, what does "involved in" even mean? I assume they mean "have" because otherwise Poland and other countries aiding Ukraine against Russia should be included.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

BonHair posted:

Actual, serious disputes? Where and why?

Sweden wants them to take back Skåne.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Private Speech posted:

I have no idea what the Czech one is supposed to be, there could be one with Poland at a stretch maybe but that is not coloured in? I can't think of anything with Slovakia and Wikipedia is no help either.

Hand over Bohumín by 4:20 PM tomorrow or Belgium will invade

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A shaded map that showed proportions would be nice. Or comparisons to past decades.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A per what now?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Its an odd cut off point. Why 1988?

The 6th party system is generally regarded to have began in 1980, that would surely be the more logical point to use, if you have to use a recent one.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Blut posted:

Its an odd cut off point. Why 1988?

The 6th party system is generally regarded to have began in 1980, that would surely be the more logical point to use, if you have to use a recent one.

6th party system?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

Actual, serious disputes? Where and why? I mean, aside from Hamburg being rightful Danish clay and poo poo. I think the Swedish border is quite clear by post-Napoleonic design.
What is the definition of serious? The most important political figure since 1990 was in favor of retaking both Swedish and German-occupied territories.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think every country has some piece of territory they'd like to take it if ever were in question even if it's not that big of a deal.

Cuba has a bit of a dispute with America over Guantanamo Bay, although I guess technically it's not like a sovereign border thing but an involuntary rental agreement, which is a silly distinction.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It occurs to be that there's a lot of arctic and Antarctic disputes going on too, even if there's no land involved. That explains Denmark at least

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I'm going to guess the vast majority of those disputes are not "serious."

How many Americans know we are in an ongoing territorial dispute with New Zealand's dependency of Tokelau over Swain's Island (pop. 0), the rightful clay of American Samoa?

How many Kiwis know?

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 15, 2024

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Count Roland posted:

6th party system?

the end of the southern democrats and the beginning of the reagan coalition. You could probably put the transition around nixon's election with Carter being the last gasp of the 5th party system.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Count Roland posted:

6th party system?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_parties_in_the_United_States#Sixth_Party_System:_1980s%E2%80%932016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah democrats going for civil rights was one of the biggest factors because that led to southern whites abandoning the party in order to salvage and reinforce the old racial order, and Republicans getting more racist eventually picked up those voters up (and I think Nixon actually took some big steps in that direction).

Florida seems so stupidly red now and the Florida dems are so pathetic that I forgot it went for Obama both times. I guess my memory of those elections was that Florida's results hadn't really come in yet but the election got decided anyways.

The division of eras is never very clean. Bill Clinton won the presidency as a democrat from the south and picking up a couple southern states, and notorious conservative "blue dog" democrat Joe Manchin is a remnant from back when West Virginia was heavily democratic from the power of the coalminer unions, but unions both fell from political prominence and West Virginian politics became more dominated by a weird protectiveness of the coal industry rather than the miners. Black Lung is making a comeback, even though the amount of miners is decreasing

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Vavrek posted:

The Roman Empire fell in the 200s.

Then it got back up again.

Under Emperor Chumbawambus

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Politically loaded map spotted. Real proper angry propaganda:

Google-translated Russian nut posted:

Freedom to the peoples of France!

Regardless of any crowing from Macron, one should remember:

1. France is a more multi-ethnic and multilingual state than Russia.

2. The French captured, subjugated and committed genocide to dozens of peoples in Europe, Africa and America.

3. Paddling pools continue to suck resources from the poorest countries. Forgetting about problems in the backyard.

But everything will beNovorossiya, there will be:

● Occitania will be free.
● Free Normandy.
● Free Brittany.
● There will be an independent Corsica.
● A single sovereign Catalonia.
● Alsace and Lorraine.
● Savoy.
● And the city-state of Nice.
● And also “Vilayat Marseille” and the complete, as they say, “Notre Dame Mosque of Paris”.

They will pay for everything.
Notre jour viendra!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can't solve every problem by oblasting it.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

You can't solve every problem by oblasting it.

We are the 85 subjects of the Russian Federation 🎶

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

'There will be an independent Corsica' would be a decent thread title

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Russia just wishes they could culturally genocide as well as the French.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Count Roland posted:

'There will be an independent Corsica' would be a decent thread title

:emptyquote:

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
"1. France is a more multi-ethnic and multilingual state than Russia."
uhhhhhhhh

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OddObserver posted:

Russia just wishes they could culturally genocide as well as the French.

they seem to have done pretty well though??

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Crazy Russian propaganda:

SlothfulCobra posted:

[url=https://t.me/r_vestovoi/152]

Well-considered and serious proposal for pacifying Russia:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Italian Autonomous Oblast

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why is Greenland in the middle of Russia now???

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Minenfeld! posted:

Why is Greenland in the middle of Russia now???

convergant evolution

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

[url=https://t.me/r_vestovoi/152]

Even in the insane Russian fantasy version of France they don't return French Flanders to us

Please Putin I will go there as a little green man

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

they seem to have done pretty well though??

They failed at destroying Ukrainians.

neurobasalmedium
Sep 12, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Loooooong Estonia

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Ukraine: Um, can we please have Crimea back as long as you're parceling out the country that's invading us?

Mapmaker: Who are you again?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Ukraine: Um, can we please have Crimea back as long as you're parceling out the country that's invading us?

Mapmaker: Who are you again?
Please do not put words in my mouth.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What the hell, talk about shafting Finland.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

What the hell, talk about shafting Finland.
Finland wasn't part of NATO in 2015.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
poo poo 2015 was like, two years ago or something.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

edit: mispost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Count Roland posted:

A shaded map that showed proportions would be nice. Or comparisons to past decades.

yeah it's very mixed. the central part of nigeria is called the "middle belt" and is very diverse. muslims and christians live side-by-side with little trouble in yoruba western nigeria, for example