Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ugh dont remind me. squad of LC assault termies lead by a chaplain rerolling hits and wounds was amazing :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Lightning claws are better than they've ever been in 30k :getin:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Don't know what you're talking about, my Sword Brethren are perfectly happy to be equipped with lightning claws

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://cdn.fbsbx.com/v/t59.2708-21...e=65F4848B&dl=1

Entire Tau codex leak, minus a couple datasheets (Vespids and Pathfinders?)

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, distinctly unenthused by those Crisis Suit changes. I feel GW trying to cut out the CIB spam, but overall pretty dire.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Only four detachments huh? Weird that they couldn't pull another two out of their rear end. Montka and Retaliation Cadre look tasty tho

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

The Deleter posted:

Only four detachments huh? Weird that they couldn't pull another two out of their rear end. Montka and Retaliation Cadre look tasty tho

We're missing a few pages, so there may be a fifth that's just not included.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

raverrn posted:

Yeah, distinctly unenthused by those Crisis Suit changes. I feel GW trying to cut out the CIB spam, but overall pretty dire.

Double Flamer Crisis Suits in the Suit Detachment are shooting 6D6 S5 AP-2 1 damage shots at close range, that's already putting Terminators on their invuln save (without AOC) and you can slap Farsight in there to wound on 3+. Everything all depends on points.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

There's a little play there, I grant you - though I'd look more at a coldstar commander adding 20 burst cannon shots - the Prototype upgrade handing out Lethal Hits could make that a decent looker. Stealth Suits allowing you to re-roll 1s to Hit and Wound is also a nice little bonus.

But Crisis Suits themselves? Biggest loving oof in the world. They nerfed Plasma Rifles for some reason, lost their set-distance advance, lost the third gun slot, lost the option for 4++ on most, lost the ability to up squad size, gently caress they won't even let you take two shield drones any more. It's like there was a brainstorming session to reign them in and they just did everything.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

raverrn posted:

They nerfed Plasma Rifles for some reason,

I think this is because they gave 2/3 of the new suit sheets 2 weapon options. Burst Cannon vs Flamer sure, the Burst Cannons have higher S, more reliable number of attacks and better range but the Flamers ignore cover and auto hit.

Plasma Rifle vs Missile Pod. If the Plasma was kept at 24" you'd never consider missiles. Now you gotta.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

raverrn posted:

They should at least be cheap.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Eej posted:

Pretty sure Vespids are temporarily in hibernation or moved to Legends until their Kill Team models get released and then they'll have a dataslate. Pathfinders are definitely in the but just not leaked yet.

Pungent Mammy
Jul 29, 2003

The pig is a huge fat pig.
Fallen Rib

Eej posted:

I finally painted my 20+ year old metal Aun'Shi and it seems he's been forcibly retired.

Rules question-- I was playing a game with a buddy at our local Warhammer store, and somehow the charge rules came up for clarification. My understanding for charges has always been you must roll the number of inches measured from the base of the nearest charging model to the closest charged model to succeed. However, the store manager looked closer at the rules as written and it states you only have to get within engagement range to succeed. This essentially means that each charge is successful at -1" of the measurement (ie, a deep strike unit really only needs to roll an 8 to get into melee).

This doesn't feel right to me, but it appears to be consistent with the literal reading of the rule. Anyone understand the charge rules this way, or do you have to roll the full distance to get into cc?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
A deep strike must be set up more than 9" away from enemy units. Therefore an 8" charge would get you 1.0000001" away from your target and therefore not within 1".

Pungent Mammy
Jul 29, 2003

The pig is a huge fat pig.
Fallen Rib
Ah, makes sense in that case then. Still, it seems the target roll is effectively distance minus one inch for melee, is that the letter and spirit of the rule?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Stealth suits reroll hits of 1 in addition to wounds of 1, which should make tetras a lot less important

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yes, engagement distance is 1" and models can fight from that range.

In some instances models can fight over a 2" distance because of terrain specific rules.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Pungent Mammy posted:

I finally painted my 20+ year old metal Aun'Shi and it seems he's been forcibly retired.

Rules question-- I was playing a game with a buddy at our local Warhammer store, and somehow the charge rules came up for clarification. My understanding for charges has always been you must roll the number of inches measured from the base of the nearest charging model to the closest charged model to succeed. However, the store manager looked closer at the rules as written and it states you only have to get within engagement range to succeed. This essentially means that each charge is successful at -1" of the measurement (ie, a deep strike unit really only needs to roll an 8 to get into melee).

This doesn't feel right to me, but it appears to be consistent with the literal reading of the rule. Anyone understand the charge rules this way, or do you have to roll the full distance to get into cc?

To add on to what others said (8 inch distance is a 7-inch charge, etc), there's also a bit of rules that says you have to charge base-to-base if possible. What this means is that if you have a 5" charge, but roll a 12, you still have to end base-to-base. You can't use the extra movement for shenanigans like getting on objectives or whatever. It does NOT mean that all charges have to be base-to-base.

I bring this up because people have misinterpreted this *all* the time in my local groups and it's actually a huge deal. Making charges is one of the swingiest points in the game; it's pretty important to know if you get there or not.

AnEdgelord posted:

Don't know what you're talking about, my Sword Brethren are perfectly happy to be equipped with lightning claws

Hell yeah buddy, D2 lightning claws are a helluva drug.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm gonna call a preemptive RIP to aun'shi and aun'va but I'll be happy if aun'shi survives. I remmeber trying so hard to get him to work in 3rd edition and being disaapointed that no, he couldn't fight a carnifex solo

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Spanish Manlove posted:

They were fun for a few seconds and then you get to splitting hairs on what's underneath it

Blast templates, even the little sizes, being back for Old World is one of my least favorite things.

"Ok so I hit x guys and roll for the x guys that look half under it, let's check how many are half, ok, they... you agree, Ms Opponent???"

Good lord you hit my regiment, roll max damage for the whole thing and let's loving move on!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Deleter posted:

I'm gonna call a preemptive RIP to aun'shi and aun'va but I'll be happy if aun'shi survives. I remmeber trying so hard to get him to work in 3rd edition and being disaapointed that no, he couldn't fight a carnifex solo

I hate the idea of good models being retired.

How does a hologram model even fight, though?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Blinding them with lasers?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Aun'shi was the one Ethereal who got/gets his hands dirty and his model was alright for a little metal thing. I hope he gets re-engineered or something. According to the battlefleet gothic book he was leading an expedition to reclaim the farsight enclaves so if you wanted an excuse to bring him back that'd do it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Are they truly "good" if they're finecast...

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I think we answered this in Star Wars 8.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
So, I've been way out of the miniatures games for a while, but...

Imperial/Chaos Knights. I like the look of them but are they any fun to play/play against?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I don’t play my Chaos Knights in friendly games because I’m afraid they’ll skew too hard, but in tournament play where people are kind of expected to bring take-all-comers lists, I’ve had a lot of really great games.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I saw someone theorize that a Combat Patrol box for Imperial Knights might be as few as one model, is this true? Do they have like, support infantry or would you just use some IG for that?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Nessus posted:

I saw someone theorize that a Combat Patrol box for Imperial Knights might be as few as one model, is this true? Do they have like, support infantry or would you just use some IG for that?
Support infantry would be from Agents of the Imperium so stuff like Navy Breachers, Arbites, etc.

They had the big Christmas army box of one Questoris and 4 Armigers so I would expect a combat patrol to be one Questoris and 2 Armigers.

Now that I think about it the army release box for Chaos Knights was the Abominant and two War Dogs so that checks out since they’re usually similar to combat patrols but with the Codex.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Aren't combat patrol boxes priced around 125 €/$? A Knight Crusader cost more than that.

Why even bother to release a combat patrol box, they might as well just have just an army box.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Decorus posted:

Aren't combat patrol boxes priced around 125 €/$? A Knight Crusader cost more than that.

Why even bother to release a combat patrol box, they might as well just have just an army box.
I think you might be getting mixed up with the pricing on the Dominus or Cerastus knights which are larger and cost more than the ‘normal’ knights.

A standard Questoris Knight with two Armigers is £160 direct from GW. A 40% discount (like a few of the other boxes have) would put that right at £95 like the other combat patrols.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The Knights combat patrol won't be a Questoris and two Armigers because they want these boxes to be sort of balanced and playable against each other. A Questoris would poo poo all over every other combat patrol and would barely take a wound in return.

I don't think it's possible to make a Knight combat patrol.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

The Knights combat patrol won't be a Questoris and two Armigers because they want these boxes to be sort of balanced and playable against each other. A Questoris would poo poo all over every other combat patrol and would barely take a wound in return.

I don't think it's possible to make a Knight combat patrol.
For the points cost a knight combat patrol would just be a single knight, and there wouldn't be any boxes that could deal with that in combat.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Mercurius posted:

I think you might be getting mixed up with the pricing on the Dominus or Cerastus knights which are larger and cost more than the ‘normal’ knights.

A standard Questoris Knight with two Armigers is £160 direct from GW. A 40% discount (like a few of the other boxes have) would put that right at £95 like the other combat patrols.

I made the mistake of assuming that Armigers only came one per box (70€). How are they so cheap?!?! A basic Knight costs 140€ on GWs site, so you're right that it puts the total at just about 40% discount.

More generally I can't see a way to balance any kind of Combat Patrol for Knights either.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wouldn't two armagers (one of each type) be more or less balanced against most combat patrol boxes?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Never played against knights but the Armiger doesnt look crazy to me. About on par with the ghostkeel which is in the tau combat patrol, or the wraithlord in eldar. Two armigers would be a lot to deal with though I think.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wonder if they might do some combat patrol specific nerfs, there's precedent for it. (Or just keep not having a knights combat patrol.)

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Skew lists aren't fun at low points, I don't think taking a couple of Armigers is any worse then taking a couple tanks necessarily, but the problem is that is all knights can do. If you aren't going to mostly be playing 2k points I would think knights are a bad choice for your army.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

neaden posted:

Skew lists aren't fun at low points, I don't think taking a couple of Armigers is any worse then taking a couple tanks necessarily, but the problem is that is all knights can do. If you aren't going to mostly be playing 2k points I would think knights are a bad choice for your army.

Yeah. Many patrols would struggle to kill even one Armiger. Even if you could maneuver around two unkillable mechs to score objectives I doubt it would be a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

neaden posted:

Knights aren’t fun to face at 2000 points either.