Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

being the closest living relative to the elephant does that to you

no i'm pretty sure elephants are the closest living relative to other elephants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NoiseAnnoys posted:

no i'm pretty sure elephants are the closest living relative to other elephants.

The elephant. You know the one.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Dugongs/manatees are closer to elephants than hyraxes are

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Probably not literally in most cases

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Behind every successful elephant there's a manatee. You just can't see it because elephants are dang big.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

they are a GBS Creature

just to note that i said this before i saw this part of the article

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

I love every video game bugfix that's like "it crashes the game when X does Y, and we couldn't figure out why, so we just made X stop doing Y, bing bong fixed"

lol it's the old "Doctor it hurts when I do this!" joke but for video games

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

I love every video game bugfix that's like "it crashes the game when X does Y, and we couldn't figure out why, so we just made X stop doing Y, bing bong fixed"

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Like how this makes him sound like a supervillain. If Salmo the Baker gets a piece of bread he will destroy the world

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
congrats to whatever town he's from for having a tragic baker. not everyone has that

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

congrats to whatever town he's from for having a tragic baker. not everyone has that

bon apetit sends a celebrity chef to interview him and talk about how the secret to getting great bagels is to cry for hours into your dough.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Weird dogs.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
People ask Salmo if his bread is good. He will never be able to offer them his honest opinion.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's kind of like how Sam Mallone owned Cheers but couldn't drink because he is an alcoholic.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
doing challenge run of life.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

But Doctor, I am Salmo the Baker

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Oblivion is only better than Skyrim if its modded to take out the level scaling system.

That system sucks and makes it easy to build a character that just gets weaker and weaker throughout the game.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

DaysBefore posted:

Like how this makes him sound like a supervillain. If Salmo the Baker gets a piece of bread he will destroy the world

jojo type situation

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Oblivion is only better than Skyrim if its modded to take out the level scaling system.

That system sucks and makes it easy to build a character that just gets weaker and weaker throughout the game.

This is true but it was very easy to do. Well it would be except that once you install a leveling mod, you suddenly want the mod for house map markers, better UI, making the glass armor look a little less like it came from Nickelodeon's Aggro Craig, bigger elf bazongas, and so on until the number of mods makes everything even jankier, crazier, and more Oblivion.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Nickelodeon's Aggro Craig

Someone should tell Craig to calm the gently caress down.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The locked mansion murder quest is so cool. Skyrim didn't have anything close to it.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lmao

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Catching up on the thread and lmao

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

One More Fat Nerd posted:

or you can do it the way devs intended which is to use your minor skills more, use your majors only when you want to level up, choosing only luck and endurance increases until they are maxxed because otherwise you're gating yourself out of those stats and never ever run, swim or jump

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like in phantasy star 3 where there's a prison escape sequence at the start of the game but if you go to the town shop and buy an escape rope item (you know it teleports you to the last town you were in) and use it when you get thrown in prison it completely fucks the game's scripting because there's no way to get back to the prison from the town map and you're supposed to meet the female lead in there. so they just had an NPC go 'what a clever idea! Unfortunately, you have completely broken the game. Please start a new file."

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Endorph posted:

i like in phantasy star 3 where there's a prison escape sequence at the start of the game but if you go to the town shop and buy an escape rope item (you know it teleports you to the last town you were in) and use it when you get thrown in prison it completely fucks the game's scripting because there's no way to get back to the prison from the town map and you're supposed to meet the female lead in there. so they just had an NPC go 'what a clever idea! Unfortunately, you have completely broken the game. Please start a new file."

lmfao

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
installing a mod that adds a laugh track to the skyrim dark brotherhood conversations

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Kins posted:

a friend of mine is writing a book on the history of maxis and man, you don't know the half of it

you know a company is going through it when getting bought by ea and having them run riot on everything was the best possible outcome

That big article about Sim Refinery and the other educational stuff was pretty interesting too

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That big article about Sim Refinery and the other educational stuff was pretty interesting too

sim... refinery?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

lol wait, this was a real loving thing? lmao.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

NoiseAnnoys posted:

sim... refinery?

NoiseAnnoys posted:

simrefinery. a prototype training tool commissioned by chevron.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

wow. oregon trail for boomer mbas.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

yeah it was an educational game to teach oil refinery engineers, thought lost for years and then some retired Chevron engineer found a copy out of nowhere

https://obscuritory.com/sim/when-simcity-got-serious/

https://obscuritory.com/sim/simrefinery-recovered/

NoiseAnnoys posted:

wow. oregon trail for boomer mbas.

it was more for the engineers and techs, like "your building is responsible for step 6 in a 10-step refining process and we want you to learn how your job interacts with the rest of the process"

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Mar 15, 2024

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

when I was a kid the school computers had SimTown and SimFarm but I was always obsessed with SimTower

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

yeah it was an educational game to teach oil refinery engineers, thought lost for years and then some retired Chevron engineer found a copy out of nowhere

https://obscuritory.com/sim/when-simcity-got-serious/

https://obscuritory.com/sim/simrefinery-recovered/

lmfao

Mario Teaches GMP Compliance with QC Controls (required training, please contact your People Partner if you can't find the link)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

As played by AI Dan Akroyd.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mavis Beacon was not a real person

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Everything was a real thing in the 90s brotha.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I never played SimAnt but I played most of the other Maxis & Associates games probably. Will Wright was my hero until Spore. :dawkins101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Mavis Beacon was not a real person

Yet she is still canonized as a Saint by the catholic church for her intercessionary power to teach typing. It's a funny world.