Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

He's the rear end in a top hat central figure in Bad Sisters, my GOD he is hateable

I think what's so great about that character and performance is that beyond being very, very hateful, he's also just incredibly pitiful. Bang tends to get cast as strong and cruel men, but the longer you watch him the clearer it is that his macho aggression is just calcified protection for a very sad little kid who's absolutely terrified of being properly seen by another human being. But, you know, not in a remotely sympathetic way.

He's a great actor, yeah. I thought Bad Sisters was a bit overlong, but in the end I really appreciated watching it and I'm keen to see what they cook up for the next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

True, and very much on-point for a particular brand of toxic person who seems to be particularly ascendant today. Just perpetually adolescent and aggrieved, painfully aware he's nothing special really, and taking it out on everyone around him who is better than him but whom he has unearned power over anyway. Everything that goes wrong is someone else's fault.

It's very cathartic and while it may have seemed indulgent to drag out the climax I felt it was entirely justified to make sure that final episode gave everyone enough satisfaction and didn't gloss over a bit of it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Every once in a while I'll be bored or cringe at something. Then all I have to do is remember that someone made a full-length documentary on the band that made Hey There Delilah, a couple years after they came out with the song but still being treated as a hot new act.

Some variation on the phrase 'You made Hey There Delilah, you can do this!' as motivational speech appeared twice or thrice during the trailer. And 'We made Hey There Delilah, the biggest song of the decade, where do we even go from there?' And I distinctly remember the conflict being introduced in the trailer like Sometimes I don't think you even care about music you just want to get laid with the response being 'I mean. Maybe.'.

I'm not sure if it's an earnest take on young artists given one wild hit out of left field. I'm not sure if it's not tongue in cheeck taking swipes at a self-important garage band. I'm not even sure (at all) of the name of the band because I'm not Googling it.

But I am sure I could be watching that instead of whatever it is I am doing and feel instantly somewhat better by comparison.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hate that song.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven't seen that movie but I'm going to say Dig! is a better documentary about a mediocre band with a single hit, or you could watch the fictional film "That Thing You Do"

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

RBA Starblade posted:

I hate that song.

I'm grateful for it being impossible for high school me to purchase a gun in my state bc that and Fireflies playing in succession through a mall PA was enough incentive to open fire.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

RBA Starblade posted:

I hate that song.

It's loving awful and was written about a lady that turned him down when he asked her out and she thought he was huge weirdo for writing a song about her lol.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

17 years later , still listening , who is here in 2024😊

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Flying Zamboni posted:

It's loving awful and was written about a lady that turned him down when he asked her out and she thought he was huge weirdo for writing a song about her lol.

Well that sure changes how it hits :lmao: :gonk:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flying Zamboni posted:

lmao amazing

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Billy Corgan did that at least once and also got the girl's name wrong so lol

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

They're getting burned out on the dopamine hit of outrage pretty quick lately, they need at least 3 new demonic scandals per day

They’re chasing a high as the rate of profit falls. Nowhere to go but down and blaming everyone else on the way.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Bright Bart posted:

Every once in a while I'll be bored or cringe at something. Then all I have to do is remember that someone made a full-length documentary on the band that made Hey There Delilah, a couple years after they came out with the song but still being treated as a hot new act.

Some variation on the phrase 'You made Hey There Delilah, you can do this!' as motivational speech appeared twice or thrice during the trailer. And 'We made Hey There Delilah, the biggest song of the decade, where do we even go from there?' And I distinctly remember the conflict being introduced in the trailer like Sometimes I don't think you even care about music you just want to get laid with the response being 'I mean. Maybe.'.

I'm not sure if it's an earnest take on young artists given one wild hit out of left field. I'm not sure if it's not tongue in cheeck taking swipes at a self-important garage band. I'm not even sure (at all) of the name of the band because I'm not Googling it.

But I am sure I could be watching that instead of whatever it is I am doing and feel instantly somewhat better by comparison.

I have to say the band name because it’s real bad, The Plain White T’s

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I have to say the band name because it’s real bad, The Plain White T’s

Very very apt name for them though.

On that note I'm gonna watch a music documentary tonight, about Long Island late 90s screamo pioneers/could-have-beens On The Might Of Princes. It'll probably suck because I think it's one of the guys from the band putting it together from what looks like largely a bunch of Zoom interviews, but hey it's like an hour long and just published on YouTube, so I'm gonna devour that slop.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Air Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen that movie but I'm going to say Dig! is a better documentary about a mediocre band with a single hit, or you could watch the fictional film "That Thing You Do"

Just adding that Dig! is loving great. You have one band that's an absolute disaster (Jonestown Massacre) of drugs and a very unpleasant front man who's doing enough drugs to believe himself a Jesus, and also the Dandy Warhols just before they ride the wave of 'Bohemian Like You'. It's a really distilled experience of watching a friend go from fun party buddy to "...comon' man, what are you doing" and realizing they're burning themselves up and are trying to take you with them.

Anton Necombe just wrecks havoc on his relationships and opportunities Jonestown has, which is a shame because their music is better. Was not surprised to hear that even 20 years later, they're still canceling reunion shows because he got mad on stage and started abusing his band mates.

on Tubi: https://tubitv.com/movies/702451/dig

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Okay i have a random question i need a perspective on. I just finished watching Robin Hood 2010. Towards the end, in the last big fight, the main villain of movie, Mark Strong's Sir Godfrey, decides to book it out of the losing battle, and takes an arrow into the neck as a parting gift from our hero. We see a brief shot of him reacting after getting hit, and he's smiling, almost laughing about it, seemingly. I have no idea why, it doesn't seem to reflect his character to me, or act as some callback to something earlier. I have missed plenty of obvious movie signals before, so im wondering if someone has any idea why he was like that?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Just adding that Dig! is loving great. You have one band that's an absolute disaster (Jonestown Massacre) of drugs and a very unpleasant front man who's doing enough drugs to believe himself a Jesus, and also the Dandy Warhols just before they ride the wave of 'Bohemian Like You'. It's a really distilled experience of watching a friend go from fun party buddy to "...comon' man, what are you doing" and realizing they're burning themselves up and are trying to take you with them.

Anton Necombe just wrecks havoc on his relationships and opportunities Jonestown has, which is a shame because their music is better. Was not surprised to hear that even 20 years later, they're still canceling reunion shows because he got mad on stage and started abusing his band mates.

on Tubi: https://tubitv.com/movies/702451/dig

Dig! Is amazing. Required watching for documentary or music fans. God I love that one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It’s weird that there was never a remake of Dangerous Crossing.

Segue
May 23, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't understand the sentiment on this forum that it's going to be bad. Trailer looks sick.

While Annihilation had its moments, I found Ex Machina clumsy and a little silly and Men very clumsy and very silly and bad, so the idea of that writer/director taking on contemporary US politics just seemed a recipe for messy disaster.

But he really did embrace weirdness in Men even if it was in the service of hamfisted surface-level meaning, so it could still be interesting if he's firing on all cylinders.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'd consider him an upper mid tier character for his work in films. He's never made an incredible movie, but he's had some solid work. He's very hit and miss though and with how incredibly bad Men was I have a hard time even considering going and seeing a movie about a US civil war with the level of thought and nuance depicted in Men i.e. zero.

The movie is apparently not even about politics which honestly makes me feel the criticism is going to hit hard for Old's who never played MW2 and not for people who are looking for and examination of the topic. I guess I understand the desire to right about war correspondence but the whole thing feels bait'y in a way that I dislike intensely. I do love Dunst though and want her to succeed, and I can't say I dislike her husband either.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Men rocked

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Men had one and a half great scenes. The former was more of a neat practical effect arm

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/heavyspoilers/status/1768690900937453685

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Dangerous Crossing. An excellent premise somewhat undercover by the olde timey assumption that women are always flighty and useless.

A women goes on a cruise with her new husband, only for her husband to vanish along with all evidence of his existence. Great premise, right? Well, how it plays out is that the ship's doctor basically takes ownership of this hysterical women and tries to keep her calm until the end of the movie where the secret is revealed and the handsome doctor saves the day.

I feel like if this had been remade in the 90s you would've gotten a really great thriller out of it. Probably couldn't remake it today, it would be about social media or getting ghosted on Tinder or something.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Alex Garland gives me gross misogynist vibes and I'm not really sure why but I can't help read it into his movies too.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Baron von Eevl posted:

Alex Garland gives me gross misogynist vibes and I'm not really sure why but I can't help read it into his movies too.

He does use rape/sexual slavery a lot. 28 Days Later, Dredd, and Ex Machina all deal with it in some way. Granted it’s always the villains doing/thinking about it, but it is notable it’s so prominent in his ouevre.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Did you read that into the movie where 28 days without pussy is enough to turn men into roving bands of rapists trying to run a train on a sixteen year old or was it all there on the screen.

That isn't actually fair, but I think his writing is very in his own head about this poo poo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ex Machina gave me vibes like Domnhall Gleeson's character was really the victim of the true enemy - a woman willing to exploit her sexiness to get what she wants from the sad nerd.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

Ex Machina gave me vibes like Domnhall Gleeson's character was really the victim of the true enemy - a woman willing to exploit her sexiness to get what she wants from the sad nerd.

In retrospect the bad guy's plan in that movie was pretty silly. "Can I make a robot so advanced it can make a virgin horny?"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Annihilation rules, would be cool if they made another since there's two more books in the southern reach trilogy

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gaius Marius posted:

Did you read that into the movie where 28 days without pussy is enough to turn men into roving bands of rapists trying to run a train on a sixteen year old or was it all there on the screen.

That isn't actually fair, but I think his writing is very in his own head about this poo poo.

Men actually "turn into" rapists in much shorter time, you creepy weirdo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Annihilation rules, would be cool if they made another since there's two more books in the southern reach trilogy

The author is penning a prequel right now if you didn't know

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I didn't, cool!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Baron von Eevl posted:

Gleeson was one of the bad guys

The robot was manipitulang the dude, sure but she was right to do so

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 16, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I get that that's a reasonable interpretation and one that is less gross, but like I said I get gross vibes off him and it colors the way I see his stuff so it all reads as deeply misogynist. I'm not saying there's a rational reason for this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I struggled with the movie until I looked at it from the robots point of view

I’ve mentioned many times that ex machina is basically a remake of pygmalion, and more faithful to the source material than my fair lady was

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Gripweed posted:

I feel like if this had been remade in the 90s you would've gotten a really great thriller out of it.

Would have to be early 90s. Later on there would have been just the sweet spot where it turns out she was in constant cell phone contact with her new husband but just couldn't meet up that day.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

I struggled with the movie until I looked at it from the robots point of view

I’ve mentioned many times that ex machina is basically a remake of pygmalion, and more faithful to the source material than my fair lady was

Oooh, I like that. That really works.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol at watching Ex Machina and not getting that Domhnall Gleeson is an evil creep.

Also, Men is an extended "Men, they're all the same!" visual gag about the horrors of the patriarchy, with some cool Green Man/Síle-na-gig symbology thrown in for :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I just don't enjoy most actors enough for them to pay all the roles