Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kit Walker posted:

Just a reminder if we found a human embryo wearing a suit walking around the stock exchange making business deals no one would have a moment's hesitation in saying it was alive

Settle down Kojima

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Brawnfire posted:

I'd be somewhat hesitant for several reasons but alright

I would be strongly in favor of terminating it immediately tbh

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
mars aint the kind of place to raise your embryo

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

my guy has apparently never heard of a wireless controller or batteries

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Decon posted:

my guy has apparently never heard of a wireless controller or batteries

Or starting a game, forgetting you have a controller connected, the game detects it and changes all the prompts, so you disconnect it to play with mouse and keyboard.

There is no way the crash is the extent of his sins.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I think he's confusing a human embryo and a quato

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Professor Wayne posted:

mars aint the kind of place to raise your embryo

Don't you get weird invisibility powers and become sex jesus if you grow up on Mars? Been a while since I've read Heinlein but it's something like that.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

Don't you get weird invisibility powers and become sex jesus if you grow up on Mars? Been a while since I've read Heinlein but it's something like that.

I would recommend not trying to read it again- both the narrator and the male characters besides the Mars man are jarringly sexist. Gave up after like 70 pages

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Heinlein wrote a book called I Will Fear No Evil about a rich old man who has his brain transplanted into a hot young woman's body and woops, suddenly becomes very girly and wants to wear dresses and perfume and have a baby and get married to a man

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Flesh Forge posted:

Heinlein wrote a book called I Will Fear No Evil about a rich old man who has his brain transplanted into a hot young woman's body and woops, suddenly becomes very girly and wants to wear dresses and perfume and have a baby and get married to a man

:thunk:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Flesh Forge posted:

Happy for her

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I would recommend not trying to read it again- both the narrator and the male characters besides the Mars man are jarringly sexist. Gave up after like 70 pages

Well, yeah - it's Heinlein.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
The only Heinlein book I ever read was The Door into Summer, which culminates with the main character hatching a plan with his 12-13 year old (at the oldest) goddaughter wherein he cryogenically freezes himself such that when he wakes up she'll be old enough that their relationship will no longer be legally objectionable. There's a reason I never read any more Heinlein.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
You missed out on "Farnham's Freehold"*, "The number of the Beast", "Time Enough For Love", and "To Sail Beyond the Sunset".

Dude had a real thing for time travel + incest.

*With bonus hideous racism!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Kantesu posted:

The only Heinlein book I ever read was The Door into Summer, which culminates with the main character hatching a plan with his 12-13 year old (at the oldest) goddaughter wherein he cryogenically freezes himself such that when he wakes up she'll be old enough that their relationship will no longer be legally objectionable. There's a reason I never read any more Heinlein.

:allbuttons:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Kantesu posted:

That was the first grown-up novel I ever read. I read it in 4th grade, and then again in 6th grade, then again as an adult, and that third time was a very different experience. Growing up I thought it was the sweetest story.

The cat in it is cool.

And there's a film adaptation that ages the girl up to like 18 but also makes her a step-sister or something, just to keep it weird.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol and meanwhile the meme thread is talking about the crazy :yikes: places Dune goes

What with Piers Anthony in the mix I'm kind of glad I never really went too deep into sci-fi/fantasy like a lot of people I knew

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You missed out on "Farnham's Freehold"*, "The number of the Beast", "Time Enough For Love", and "To Sail Beyond the Sunset".

Dude had a real thing for time travel + incest.

Don't forget the short story "All You Zombies" where, through time travel and sex change shenanigans, the main character becomes their own entirely self-contained family tree.

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Eyes do have corners though. The saying isn't "out of the corner of my eyeball".

Look buddy, it isn't me you gotta convince, its James Acaster

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

credburn posted:

That was the first grown-up novel I ever read. I read it in 4th grade, and then again in 6th grade, then again as an adult, and that third time was a very different experience. Growing up I thought it was the sweetest story.

The cat in it is cool.

And there's a film adaptation that ages the girl up to like 18 but also makes her a step-sister or something, just to keep it weird.

His early, young adult stuff is way less pervy. I think he actually had a stroke or something.

Citizen of the Galaxy has two scenes where characters screw themselves by making patronizing assumptions about a woman's knowledge/intelligence. Like, the dialog is still sexist, because it was written in the fifties. But it's not as :catstare: as the later stuff.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't forget the short story "All You Zombies" where, through time travel and sex change shenanigans, the main character becomes their own entirely self-contained family tree.

yeah this was a big part of I Will Fear No Evil, when the rich old man's brain in the hot young woman's body decides to have a baby, it's via artificial insemination from his own original body so she is both mother and father and at the end their soul(s) basically take over the baby's body I think? :thumbsup:

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Serperoth posted:

This is one of the main symbols of the Imperium of Man.

40k is many things, but subtle isn't one of them.

Yeah, that's less egregious, the skull/gear combination feels like some kind of syndicalist death cult or something.

Isn't 40k the originator of the FASCISM IS BAD-----woah cool space marine! memes?

Special shout out needs to be given to Hunger Games merch too. They sell Hunger Games Capitol-emblazoned gear. For those lucky enough not to be familiar with Hunger Games, the Capitol logo is an eagle with a head that looks like a Sieg rune reversed clutching a literal fasces. It manages to go straight from "looks fashy" straight to "everyone who doesn't know this particular fictional symbol is going to assume you are a big Mussolini fan."

soviet elsa has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Mar 15, 2024

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"Farnham's Freehold"*

The basic premise of that one, for anyone who hasn't read it, is that a white family (and their black servant) get accidentally sent to a far future time where (gasp!) the black people are in charge and whites are basically slaves. I really think Heinlein intended it to be anti-racist, sort of a "see how YOU would like being treated like this" to his largely-white readership. But he missed the mark in a lot of ways, and it's unfortunately really easy to take the moral of the story as "look what could happen if we let them have an inch".

And, of course, the cranky old author-self-insert character hooks up with a much younger woman... but hey, at least in this one she's explicitly college aged.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You have to remember that Heinlen’s books, much like every religions version of the Bible, is an outdated relic totally inapplicable to any aspect of todays society.

The exception of course being Starship Troopers

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

His early, young adult stuff is way less pervy. I think he actually had a stroke or something.

Sounds like he was having a lot of them

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

oldpainless posted:

You have to remember that Heinlen’s books, much like every religions version of the Bible, is an outdated relic totally inapplicable to any aspect of todays society.

In elementary school I played Rifts with my older brothers and their friends and thought the power armor was just the coolest stuff. Then I read Starship Troopers in middle school and thought the book was awesome because it had power armor too. Then reread it as an adult and a lot of media from my childhood started getting reevaluated.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Now do the thought experiment with bacteria.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

soviet elsa posted:

Isn't 40k the originator of the FASCISM IS BAD-----woah cool space marine! memes?

No, that was Gundam, which was "War is bad-- Woah cool robot".

What if you found a Christian baby on mars and you were an athiest would it be alive?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Flesh Forge posted:

https://twitter.com/64bitvio/status/1767971684915564624

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Powered Descent posted:

The basic premise of that one, for anyone who hasn't read it, is that a white family (and their black servant) get accidentally sent to a far future time where (gasp!) the black people are in charge and whites are basically slaves. I really think Heinlein intended it to be anti-racist, sort of a "see how YOU would like being treated like this" to his largely-white readership. But he missed the mark in a lot of ways, and it's unfortunately really easy to take the moral of the story as "look what could happen if we let them have an inch".

And, of course, the cranky old author-self-insert character hooks up with a much younger woman... but hey, at least in this one she's explicitly college aged.

Isn't that basically Birth of a Nation?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

oldpainless posted:

I'm reading SST for the first time right now and buddy that book is a pile of crap and I'll never read any other RH stuff.

I do agree that it's applicable to modern society but got drat it sucks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Data Graham posted:

Isn't that basically Birth of a Nation?

That’s basically the nightmare scenario of every plantation owner in the 18th century

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Flesh Forge posted:

drat, truly ahead of his time

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

I'm reading SST for the first time right now and buddy that book is a pile of crap and I'll never read any other RH stuff.

I do agree that it's applicable to modern society but got drat it sucks.

That's all Heinlen really.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I liked The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and some of his other books,, but you need a tolerance for weird and horny so I don't blame anyone for not reading him. (Moon is the only one I'd explicitly recommend without knowing someone's tastes better).

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Once an author becomes big enough that their publisher doesn't force fierce edits to their work is when an author's weird fetishes start bleeding into their works.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The first Heinlein book I ever read was Friday

I have never read a second Heinlein novel

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Friday was really bad too tbf :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Fister Roboto posted:

Sounds like the move Predestination starring Ethan Hawke