Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I don't agree with bawfuls on the "let's create a championship specifically for the Dodgers" regular season schedule thing ;) but I do agree with the fact that if you're capable of using roboumps to get the call right every time it makes absolutely zero sense to use it for challenges only and still let Angel Hernandez blow a bunch of calls otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The Angel Hernandez memorial pitch challenge, brought to you by GEICO.

Get it right by switching to GEICO, where 15 minutes can save you 15% on car insurance.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Well Played Mauer posted:

Angel Hernandez memorial

Not yet

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eric the Mauve posted:

However, robots are not unionized and umpires are.

I mean yeah it's this: no way in hell the union is ceding their most visible power without a gigantic fight. Honestly shocked that MLB was even able to get this compromise.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Intruder posted:

I don't agree with bawfuls on the "let's create a championship specifically for the Dodgers" regular season schedule thing ;) but I do agree with the fact that if you're capable of using roboumps to get the call right every time it makes absolutely zero sense to use it for challenges only and still let Angel Hernandez blow a bunch of calls otherwise

And when you overturn Angel's horrible call he will spitefully make even more horrible calls against you than usual.

And Angel is only the most extreme example, that is what every ump will do. Challenging their call is committing the mortal sin in umpires' eyes: Showing Me Up.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah I can see an ump ringing someone up, getting overturned, then immediately ringing them up again on a questionable call. Then tossing them

Or hell a particularly touchy ump (Angel again) just straight up tossing someone for challenging to begin with

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Intruder posted:

Yeah I can see an ump ringing someone up, getting overturned, then immediately ringing them up again on a questionable call. Then tossing them

This is always how I figured it would go too. Or they'd try to overturn correct robo calls because "I was there and saw it" while getting indignant about the robot being better at their job than them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The batter keeps their challenge if they're right so it'd only be a matter of time before a player challenged four consecutive strike calls for a walk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Replay rules in every sport are dumb because only certain things are challengable.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sydin posted:

The batter keeps their challenge if they're right so it'd only be a matter of time before a player challenged four consecutive strike calls for a walk.

Does the robo-ump actually make the call, or is it a VAR thing? Because if it's the latter, let me tell you it isn't going to matter if the ball was 6 inches outside, by the third challenge the strike call is gonna be upheld.

Probably by the second one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also if they're going to do robo umps they need to DO ROBO UMPS and have humanoid automatons behind the plate doing pop-and-lock strikeout calls

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
If umpires were graded solely on their strikeout dances the sport would be immeasurably better

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

zoux posted:

Also if they're going to do robo umps they need to DO ROBO UMPS and have humanoid automatons behind the plate doing pop-and-lock strikeout calls

Cleatus the football robit is free during the summer...

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

If umpires were graded solely on their strikeout dances the sport would be immeasurably better

100% umpires should be the equivalent of rodeo clowns. They should be feuding with mascots in between innings.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

Base Wars, Base Wars, BASE WARS

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWY9S-uKU-4

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just a heads up that once the regular season starts we will be merging cubs posting and Ms posting.
This is the season of Cum posting

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Wayne Knight posted:

Just a heads up that once the regular season starts we will be merging cubs posting and Ms posting.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

zoux posted:

literally thought this same thing a few words into your post before synergizing that conclusion

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a self-evident truth.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Wayne Knight posted:

it is cum tree season after all

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Wayne Knight posted:

It's gonna be a great World Series

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
just hanging out at the ol' virtual piss trough posting about CUM

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Since the affectionate term for the Cubs is Cubbies does that mean we have to see people post about Cummies?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://x.com/kevindoellman/status/1768673332742787221?s=20

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Did Sosa stop bleaching his skin or were those filters the whole time?

e: Yes he's still quite a bit lighter than when he played but he's not nightmarishly white anymore

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Driving to Tom Ricketts mansion to personally give him an increasingly discomforting series of wedgies and gently shove his dumb face into a toilet until he agrees to BRING SAMMY BACK.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmf8zZPCvj4

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/AramLeighton8/status/1768425703928688826

Just a reminder that the breakout games going on these couple days in spring are using the new ball/strike challenge system and I am here for it.

Honestly MLB should implement this, but only in games where the home plate umpire is graded below a certain accuracy metric. Good umps get to call games normally but sorry Angel, it's roboump time for you.

this rules

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

There was definitely a local commercial with Sammy where he said something like "now it is your turn to take the bat and hit the home run" and I can't find it anywhere.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Gio Urshela signed with the Tigers last week apparently, that’s his 6th AL team without ever playing in the NL and now I’m curious what the record for that sort of thing would be

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Odds that any of those kids know who he is?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

Driving to Tom Ricketts mansion to personally give him an increasingly discomforting series of wedgies and gently shove his dumb face into a toilet until he agrees to BRING SAMMY BACK.

:hmmyes:

This game owned, I played the poo poo out of it on PC

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status/1768691595732271214

I guess Yadi still wants more time before diving back in.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
:yeshaha:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/1768696745100288502

The Yankees are likely lying about Judge's ribs.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

elentar posted:

Gio Urshela signed with the Tigers last week apparently, that’s his 6th AL team without ever playing in the NL and now I’m curious what the record for that sort of thing would be

No idea, but an interesting question.

Weird as Hell, but I went to the BR page for most teams played for, scrolled all the way to the bottom of the 8 section and picked a guy at random and immediately hit one.

Lenny Harris. 8 NL teams, 0 AL.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harrile01.shtml

Not sure if there's a 9+ out there or not

Edit - didn't find any 9 team single league players. And none with 11+.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 15, 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

After the year he just had?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean again I think everybody including Marmol knows that he's just the relay guy holding the baton until it can ultimately be passed to Molina, if and whenever he decides he'd like to manage.

As to why they're sticking with Marmol despite the dismal year a) it's the Cardinals and they love their internal consistency and "culture" at the expense of all else and b) he's a home-grown, internally promoted success story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Lol. This season is going to be such a shitshow