Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Here's my not-too-exciting, reasonably handsome but not overly so, and slightly weathered arisen. The perfect generic medieval video game protagonist!

edit: wow what an awful snipe. you're welcome everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Welp, game's in the wild folks. Some dude with a buddy at Walmart is already streaming it. For my part, it's time to shut out the internet for a week.

Joyboy
Mar 18, 2021

I'm sure everyone feels the same.

v1ld posted:

Be funny if we all land up missing the letterboxing they put into the og DD1 to reduce the number of pixels rendered so it could run on the consoles.

I never got the hate for letterboxing, its a pleasant thing imo. Pillarboxing though...

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Working with what is available, here's MGS2 style Revolver Ocelot (Revolver Ocelot)

I never noticed that he pretty much always has his pony tail over the front of his shoulder.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Someone on Twitch has the game early so I would expect spoilers to be in the wild soon

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022
I had a dream that I was playing DD2 and there was a samurai vocation so I'm taking it as a sign they were lying and we do in fact have more hidden vocations than what they've announced and shown off :madmax:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

"Don't even think about using periapts, or I'll know."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don’t think I’m watching any more footage from the game. just gonna take this one in blind and see where it takes me. see you all on the other side into free

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've barely watched any footage of DD2. I saw that it looks and plays like DD1 and that was good enough for me.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Wow this thread moves fast now.
Anyone know if pawns are cross-platform? I want to know if I can pimp out my pawn to my Xbox buddy.

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

Sioux posted:

Wow this thread moves fast now.
Anyone know if pawns are cross-platform? I want to know if I can pimp out my pawn to my Xbox buddy.

you get a code for your pawn that you can give to your friend to use them so yeah they are cross-platform. the pawns that show up in the rift itself are only your platform tho

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I can't believe I'm saying this but after watching some gameplay footage from channels that got early access stuff, I'm actually leaning towards Trickster a bit. Pawn AI seems like it's a lot better now, and with how hectic and big some of the fights can get (especially the outdoor ones) I think it would be kind of interesting to play as like a battlefield controller. Buff my guys, make some strategic walls to funnel them in areas, direct them to do certain things. Curious to see what their actual attacks look like, if they have any, because they seem useless if your pawns are gone.

That, or play a sorcerer and instead of all that stuff just spawn a tornado and send everything to space. Choices.

Weirdly I'm less inclined to play MA than the rest of you, spearhand also doesn't look like my personal cup of tea. Gonna go with a battlefield controller this time around, I think. Could be fun! Or suck. Who knows?

also I was going to do it as a joke but the more I think about it the more I might actually play the old dude and his sad wife as my arisen and pawn, I think it'll be hilarious. Although I feel like if I play trickster I should be a catte

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Am I the only person who thinks everyone who plans to focus on a single class is mentally ill? I always felt like playing a bunch of different classes was the second best part of Dragon's Dogma after pawns.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I think it gives me replayability but if it’s anything like the first game you’ll want to play EVERYTHING for augments if nothing else

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
yeah I'm planning to start out a mage this go round but that's just a start. gonna master every vocation and play what feels right for the matter at hand.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

K8.0 posted:

Am I the only person who thinks everyone who plans to focus on a single class is mentally ill? I always felt like playing a bunch of different classes was the second best part of Dragon's Dogma after pawns.

Since the stat thing doesn't really matter anymore, I'm probably right there with you. Plus gives you more opportunities to hire more weird pawns for your new build.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

K8.0 posted:

I always like sticking with one character/weapon in video games, often when I replay them I even do the same build. I just like knowing what I’m doing sort of thing instead of trying to figure out a whole new class/weapon every time.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kefa posted:

I always like sticking with one character/weapon in video games, often when I replay them I even do the same build. I just like knowing what I’m doing sort of thing instead of trying to figure out a whole new class/weapon every time.

Do you counterbalance this with a polyamorist relationship you dull dull person. I bet you do you sick freak.
DD has the nice benefit of being able to quasi-try multiple vocations at once if you count the vicarious nature of pawns.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Am I the only person who thinks everyone who plans to focus on a single class is mentally ill?

Yes that's a bit weird to think

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm kind of picky about my fantasy aesthetic and I'll need to see if they have some smaller two handed weapons, otherwise I'll have to pass on Warrior, and I definitely want to be an armored martial character, so my options are limited.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
In DD1 I'd just put a party together, then roll with it until my rented pawns started feeling too flimsy, then fully change vocations and loadout when I got new rentals, so everything felt new and fresh all at once!

It is a game that both enables and encourages my constant whimsy and I'm here for that

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
in DD1 I would either hire my friends' pawns or whoever was funniest. Hans Gruber was the greatest mage I ever hired, even if he didn't look that much like Alan Rickman.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Am I the only person who thinks everyone who plans to focus on a single class is mentally ill?

I don't know but I hope you are in fact the only person who thinks others are mentally ill for not approaching the game in the same way

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

K8.0 posted:

Maxing out every vocation first before settling on your favorite one is probably the optimal way to play, but the way you wrote it is loving psychopathic.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
We will not stand for hyperbolic writing in the thread about dragons and their dogmas. Anyone who writes over the top statements should be executed for their mental illness.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/__Scipio__/status/1767344133864071459

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
See that Cyclops?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

See that Cyclops?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Had way too much fun in the character creator messing with the posture slider

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Do we have a list of what all the specific class actions are? I know Mages get healing but I can't remember/find what the other vocations get except for I think Mystic Spearhands teleporting to melee.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
This is just what I've picked up and might be off a bit:
Fighter I believe gets block/parry.
Warrior gets I think that shoulder shrug move that seems to be a counter/parry that stuns.
Mage is heal.
Sorcerer I believe is spend stamina for spell haste, and regen stamina when idle.
Mystic Spearhand is basically Vergil Summoned Swords, it can flinch enemies or if charged maybe stun them, also it marks enemies for effects from other moves like the teleport.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Zore posted:

Do we have a list of what all the specific class actions are? I know Mages get healing but I can't remember/find what the other vocations get except for I think Mystic Spearhands teleporting to melee.

Oroboros posted a skill overview that has some skills for every class, including core skills

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

DangerDongs posted:

Do you counterbalance this with a polyamorist relationship you dull dull person. I bet you do you sick freak.
DD has the nice benefit of being able to quasi-try multiple vocations at once if you count the vicarious nature of pawns.

No, one person is enough for me :banjo:
Human male dex build or archer, do you really need anything else

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Kefa posted:

No, one person is enough for me :banjo:
Human male dex build or archer, do you really need anything else

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's not boring if I play a lady :negative:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Knight with longsword is a classic though

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chillgamesh posted:

Had way too much fun in the character creator messing with the posture slider

Me 'n' the Pawns on the way to fight the dragon:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

In most games people who pick the basic Man Who Fights class deserve to be mocked for being the blandest most boring gamers on earth, but Dragon's Dogma makes even the basic fighter a whole lot of fun so it's fine.

If you never once branch out into anything else, though, then you might be the human equivalent of a bowl of plain oatmeal.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Did DD1 have accelerated spellcasting? Mage and Sorc both seem to have a way to spend stamina to cast faster in DD2, which rules. Cast sprinting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Thumbtacks posted:

Did DD1 have accelerated spellcasting? Mage and Sorc both seem to have a way to spend stamina to cast faster in DD2, which rules. Cast sprinting

Not that I remember, no. But IIRC there was a weird mechanic where multiple casters could channel the same spell and it'd charge up faster? I never saw it in action because if I was playing sorcerer I wasn't bringing a sorcerer pawn.