Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Arc Thrower should probably be nerfed, just had 2 guys with them trivialize any bug breaches in Impossible. Final stat was them: 300+ kills, me and the other guy: 150 or so. And we were pulling our weight and running the objectives, which was easy as hell because these dudes deleted everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The only end stat I care about is who gets most stims used

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Being online but set to Invisible on Steam does prevent people from seeing you in-game though. Ran into this when trying to play with my brother the other day.

I'm not sure if it works if they added you via a friend code in-game but when set to Invisible I did not show up in the list of steam friends for him to join.

In game friends list still shows. The game needs an Invite Only matchmaking setting yesterday.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the way that fire in this game is ultra effective against humans and just kinda tickles bugs and robots is funny

you'd think setting a bug ablaze would be more harmful to it but lol

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ijyt posted:

Sickle should sound like this IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otDXYR8Mcy0

While that's fun I'd save that for another, bigger wepaon. Personally I would suggest something like the Krylov from BF2142:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBOz9uFtUu4&t=39s

Deadliest squeaky toy there ever was.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

turn off the TV posted:

imo it would be good to be able to disable the third person reticle because it's effectively worthless while also making the things right around your actual crosshair harder to see

Especially the weird triangular fixed reticule for the Senator revolver.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Arc Thrower should probably be nerfed, just had 2 guys with them trivialize any bug breaches in Impossible. Final stat was them: 300+ kills, me and the other guy: 150 or so. And we were pulling our weight and running the objectives, which was easy as hell because these dudes deleted everything.

Absolutely not, you pay for that with uncontrollability and massive teamkill (and self kill) potential. It's good at wave clear with two of them, but doesn't have the damage to lock down a breach solo. It also can't deal with heavy targets in anything resembling a reasonable time scale.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

apostateCourier posted:

In game friends list still shows. The game needs an Invite Only matchmaking setting yesterday.

It's specifically the in-game friends list that I did not appear in for him while I was set to Invisible on Steam. I popped up as soon as I switched from Invisible to Online.

Maybe it always shows you after you've grouped with a friend though, that was our first time playing together :shrug:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

It's specifically the in-game friends list that I did not appear in for him while I was set to Invisible on Steam. I popped up as soon as I switched from Invisible to Online.

Then it isn't consistent. I'm talking about people added via the in game friend codes, which in my experience still show up.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

explosivo posted:

The incendiary breaker does indeed suck.

It looks cool though

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

apostateCourier posted:

Absolutely not, you pay for that with uncontrollability and massive teamkill (and self kill) potential. It's good at wave clear with two of them, but doesn't have the damage to lock down a breach solo. It also can't deal with heavy targets in anything resembling a reasonable time scale.

The teamkilling thing is only if you're an idiot, anyone on harder difficulties knows to stand behind or to the side of you. We didn't get teamkilled once.

And there is literally armor to prevent it, which pretty soon everyone is going to be wearing because this is the new Railgun.

But also, it does damage the heavies and between the Orbital Laser Cannon and Orbital Railgun strikes and our EATS there was really no threat from the heavies either. It's such an effective "delete anything that's not a charger and bile titan" machine that it frees up literally every other stratagem and weapon slot to deal with them. The guys still had their Breakers and could mag dump into gaps in their opponents armor when the opportunities arised. Impossible felt like Medium and it was directly because of those Arc Throwers.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Being online but set to Invisible on Steam does prevent people from seeing you in-game though. Ran into this when trying to play with my brother the other day.

I'm not sure if it works if they added you via a friend code in-game but when set to Invisible I did not show up in the list of steam friends for him to join.
Quickplay can and will send friends into your game if it decides to even when set to show offline. I know because I've tried it before.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Infidelicious posted:

It's a Tribes reference for killing someone in mid air with a discthrower.

They should add a heatsink backpack that increases uptime and cooldown for energy weapons

gently caress uptime and cooldown. Extra heat capacity? Overclock that fucker!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

In actuality to me it feels like a whole lot of weapons are much more viable than people think they are, but their viability depends largely on the rest of the loadout. Arc Throwers have always been that good when you have multiple of them. 3 Arc Throwers basically insta-deletes Chargers. It's still a good weapon with just one but each additional one is a nice force multiplier.

I've even seen things like the spear being very useful in a bots group with 3 grenade launchers - the GLs handled everything just fine but didn't have a great way to deal with towers or heavies that were out of grenading range and suddenly the spear user was our hero.

My personal example is that the Scythe is a real nice primary weapon when specifically paired with the Laser Cannon, it extends the flexibility of your beam into being able to take down any type of non-Heavy enemy with ease and you never need to stop beaming so you can consistently push back hordes of bugs forever. The Sickle is "better" but it doesn't fill the role of a hot-swap to the Lascannon for close quarters as well as the Scythe due to its longer spinup time and not being a constantly-hitting beam.

Overall the equipment and enemy factions are so well-designed in this game that it's going to feel fresh for a very long time.

Basically no weapon is bad when it's filling a gap in the team's/your loadout or synergizing with other items in the loadout.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 15, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

With that name, I can see at least he is smart enough to do it in a separate account.

It's funny that the name that stood out to you was the hackers lol.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

The teamkilling thing is only if you're an idiot, anyone on harder difficulties knows to stand behind or to the side of you. We didn't get teamkilled once.

And there is literally armor to prevent it, which pretty soon everyone is going to be wearing because this is the new Railgun.

But also, it does damage the heavies and between the Orbital Laser Cannon and Orbital Railgun strikes and our EATS there was really no threat from the heavies either. It's such an effective "delete anything that's not a charger and bile titan" machine that it frees up literally every other stratagem and weapon slot to deal with them. The guys still had their Breakers and could mag dump into gaps in their opponents armor when the opportunities arised. Impossible felt like Medium and it was directly because of those Arc Throwers.

The armor represents an opportunity tax. You're spending your armor bonus on not dying to your own gear.

Teamkilling sometimes happens out of nowhere. I've had it take a 270 degree turn and kill someone behind me.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hmm Stun Grenade seems like top tier.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Skyl3lazer posted:

It looks cool though

Eh its okay for bugs but not the best i'll grant that.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Just a suggestion to the person wanting a solo mode, this might sound dumb but if I have the in-game setting to friends only but also have my steam profile set to private to everyone, no-one can join me. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature but if you're on PC it is worth a try :shrug:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

I remember reading that setting your Steam profile to Private would prevent friends from joining, but I haven't personally tried it

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

The Shame Boy posted:

For anybody that played the late game wars in Helldivers 1 that had Super Earth lose, did they make maps that are actual Super Earth city locations or was it always the standard kinda jungle/desert/arctic areas that we kinda have here in HD2? Kinda wondering if/when we will get to such a point this time around.

I think there was. I really hope there are in this

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arc Thrower should probably be nerfed,

yes, Democracy Officer, this post right here

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

BadLlama posted:

The ability to have a Bile Titan stand still for up to 10 seconds so that I can trivially line up a perfect air strike on them is tempting. But how could I possibly give up being able to toss a grenade in a bug hole or fabricator? :ohdear:

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

BadLlama posted:

Yeah they seem better than you'd think, I think it's because they inflict a big stun instantly instead of slowly building up over time like the EMS strikes. Probably best to pair it with an explosive call-in for factories and bugholes though.

edit: ^ Wait they work on Titans too? drat that's pretty legit

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

BadLlama posted:

It's REALLY good, but simultaneously a huge disadvantage to not have regular explosive grenades if your support weapon is an RR or something and you've got medium-armor enemies bearing down on you, or if you need to plug bug holes or blow up fabricators. Pretty much the perfect sidegrade. I'd want one person in my squad to have them but probably just that one

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

My in-game friends list hasn't been functional for weeks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

apostateCourier posted:

The armor represents an opportunity tax. You're spending your armor bonus on not dying to your own gear.

Teamkilling sometimes happens out of nowhere. I've had it take a 270 degree turn and kill someone behind me.

The "opportunity cost" for not carrying a couple extra stims or grenades is not needing them, because you loving deleted nearly everything with your unlimited ammo killzapper.

BTW I'm saying this after multiple rounds of playing with people who were using it. It should be good, I support good weapons - but it's too good and some dumb "random chance of death" element (which I didn't see, not once, in 5 or so games) is not an effective deterrent. It's going to be everywhere in a week, Railgun v2.

I imagine they'll just put it on a heat system or give it ammo, because it's simply too good to not have some kind of rate limiter. So my advice to you is, enjoy it while it lasts.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Captainicus posted:

Just a suggestion to the person wanting a solo mode, this might sound dumb but if I have the in-game setting to friends only but also have my steam profile set to private to everyone, no-one can join me. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature but if you're on PC it is worth a try :shrug:

Invite only also solves the problem of having multiple friend groups. Seriously, there is no reasonable argument against adding it.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

apostateCourier posted:

Invite only also solves the problem of having multiple friend groups. Seriously, there is no reasonable argument against adding it.

I completely agree, it seems very dumb to not allow it as a real option

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

apostateCourier posted:

the rest of the game is a burning trash heap of server issues and bugs and balance issues is a pretty good reason imo.

the matchmaking currently is barely functional as it is.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The termicide maps are interesting as there's a ton of supplies in specific places, so your squad doesn't need to run supply backpacks. You can run a GL or autocannon without backpacks and grab rovers to watch your back. It's also super choke pointy so running a mech or HMG or EMP field at each battery is incredibly effective.

Just great how each mission requires such different combinations of load outs.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

magiccarpet posted:

The termicide maps are interesting as there's a ton of supplies in specific places, so your squad doesn't need to run supply backpacks. You can run a GL or autocannon without backpacks and grab rovers to watch your back. It's also super choke pointy so running a mech or HMG or EMP field at each battery is incredibly effective.

Just great how each mission requires such different combinations of load outs.

I've seen rovers kill the towers on their own while trying to pick off bugs close to them.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

The "opportunity cost" for not carrying a couple extra stims or grenades is not needing them, because you loving deleted nearly everything with your unlimited ammo killzapper.

BTW I'm saying this after multiple rounds of playing with people who were using it. It should be good, I support good weapons - but it's too good and some dumb "random chance of death" element (which I didn't see, not once, in 5 or so games) is not an effective deterrent. It's going to be everywhere in a week, Railgun v2.

I imagine they'll just put it on a heat system or give it ammo, because it's simply too good to not have some kind of rate limiter. So my advice to you is, enjoy it while it lasts.

It's not that good. Take it on a bot mission and see how well you can do.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Yall seen any blue lasers? Apparently people are getting sniped by them randomly and speculating that the illuminate are back from last game.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

You are VASTLY overestimating the potential for use in uncoordinated play.

What made the railgun so oppressive was how you could plug it into any kit to give someone a reliable way of oneshotting most mediums and putting effective damage on heavily armored targets. It was a 'selfish' choice that turned people into one-man armies. Someone good with a railgun could carry their team if they knew what they were doing.

The Arc Thrower, at minimum, requires one other person using one to achieve the effect you're describing. As a flamethrower main, I regularly do what a single Arc Thrower user does more effectively because I'm not at the mercy of the RNG chain and targeting effects. I kill chargers WAY faster than the Arc user does. Two of me creates a wall of fire that only a Bile Titan can survive. The only downside is ammo consumption, which isn't a huge downside.

The Arc Thrower also requires the rest of the team to know what you're doing and where you are. Uncoordinated players, and even coordinated players, will reliably run right through your lane of fire. This usually isn't too bad because most weapons do chip damage. I say this as someone who has both teamkilled and been teamkilled with the Arc because someone decided to run into my firing line the moment I let it rip, or didn't know I was downrange and got chained onto.

The Arc Thrower doesn't share any of the characteristics that made the railgun good. It's not long range, it doesn't delete high value targets instantly, it doesn't strip armor, and it takes a long time to chip down heavily armored foes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, two people working together to wipe a lot of bugs is not exactly that spectacular. You could get similar results a whole host of different ways.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Yall seen any blue lasers? Apparently people are getting sniped by them randomly and speculating that the illuminate are back from last game.
The last video I saw of this was actually just the blue hitspark from some ground plant-trap hitting a charger's leg armor.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Yeah I don't think the arc thrower is overpowered, personally I can't stand how weak it feels per shot, and how it doesn't seem to stun or flinch. I'm sure a full team of them can be effective but so could many weapons in that situation.

Baggot posted:

It's the same. You can't prevent your friends from joining, so there's no way to play in a truly private game.

Sometimes I see in my friends list people playing a 'private game' that can't be joined even though there are less than four people, so it must be possible at least on pc. Someone mentioned earlier that maybe it is a stream setting.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

a fatguy baldspot posted:

one loving idiot on Reddit does not a stealth faction drop make

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Long time lurker, first time posting here, but only because of the discourse around the Arc Thrower.

Do people still not carry enough chaff clearing support weapons in their groups? I’m the guy in my group that ends focusing on chaff killing with Guard Dog + a rapid fire weapon, and usually we also have someone else with a Grenade Launcher or Autocannon for ranged medium armor clearing. Chaff clearing is more important now and if it takes two Arc Throwers to do what could be done with a combination of two other support weapons, then good on them. To me it’s like if two people were running the Grenade Launcher to do the same thing. I know Chargers give it a leg up, but it’s six shots to the same body part that kills one, and my group has had enough stratagem space free up with the spawn nerf that it’s not a big deal. And I still prefer using the Flamethrower.

What are other groups running to control chaff + Chargers when it comes to the average bug mission? I usually carry Flamethrower, Grenade Launcher, Arc Thrower, MG, or Autocannon in that order of preference. May also bring a turret to throw when running away from a patrol spawning a bug breech, or off to the side when assaulting a Heavy Nest. Like many others, I’ve been falling in love with the Tesla turret for this job recently.

Edit: I took so long to post I missed all of this:

Warmachine posted:

You are VASTLY overestimating the potential for use in uncoordinated play.

What made the railgun so oppressive was how you could plug it into any kit to give someone a reliable way of oneshotting most mediums and putting effective damage on heavily armored targets. It was a 'selfish' choice that turned people into one-man armies. Someone good with a railgun could carry their team if they knew what they were doing.

The Arc Thrower, at minimum, requires one other person using one to achieve the effect you're describing. …

Proven fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

one loving idiot on Reddit does not a stealth faction drop make

i've seen four or five videos of it from different planets at this point