Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

GBS mods good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yes well, turns out he's the guy who came up with manufacturing consent bc he has figured out how to manipulate systems to do so, to his own advantage.

I thought manufacturing consent was an extension of ideas put forth in Bernay's "engineering consent".
Like I said all my Chomsky is 2nd hand so I don't really know.

I do know that it's extremely frustrating bringing criticisms against the left when a lot of our side fails to think critically about certain people or ideas just because they're on the right side.

I feel that it's a different quality than the frustration of say convincing a guy strutting about delaware like a cowboy, giant car, chaw, wranglers, voting habits, music, and associated lifestyle that he's not in fact thinking for himself but is in fact the victim of a massive marketing campaign.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

Baked potatoes are fall street vendor, fair, or camping food. But I like the idea of including featureless snowy plains in it's repertoire.

I was not with you at first, but I am coming around to this way of thinking

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

What is politics if its not voting?

Protesting. Building parallel structures to care for people. These are a much better use of time than either voting or scolding people for not voting as they're told.

If people "WILL shame you" for not voting how they like, then those people need to get a life and/or outside hobbies, straight up.

Not directed at redshirt: why is it so important to you how other people use their vote? To me, it screams of trying to control other people's actions.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 15, 2024

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

StrangersInTheNight posted:

People criticize each other for poo poo as simple as car choices all the time, to be logically sound this requires humanity to become Not Humanity, but an idealized version of humanity that exists only philosophically.

The stigma around shame & voting is largely a performative online leftist thing about how they're so much better than the libs because they don't comment on voting, which is why it makes my eyes roll back into my head. It's just more status jockeying and reactionary bullshit. Why the gently caress leftists put so much energy into hating on libs in this world full of fascists, I can't say for sure (I think largely embarrassed at their former selves and lashing out), but like Gandalf and her graham cracker, it is their favorite activity.

Meanwhile the reality for the not eternally online is, people WILL shame you for this choice so toughen the gently caress up if you're going to do that.

I should shame people for driving idiotic cars. It's only by chance that I happened to mention cars in my example of manufactured consent because it's one of the most eye rollingly obvious examples.

It's anti-advertising, anti-propaganda and anyone who actually embodies the things associated with driving a lifted pickup over a pile of rocks shouldn't feel the need to defend their choice beyond "Well I like monster trucks" unless deep down inside they know they're a big imposter who does indeed consume masculinity to cover for feelings of inadequacy.

I don't see the same kind of defensiveness when someone gets teased for driving a smart car, prius, or moped. If anything people shrug their shoulders "Yeah we all do lame stuff sometimes I like the gas milage"

Same as voting. I shame motherfuckers all day because apparently it works. When you don't vote you vote with Hitler! Shame on you boo! Boo! Half the people who vote for some longshot 3rd party candidate are only going for some comfortable middle that hasn't been eviscerated in the press because they can't stand the shame of voting for anything less than perfection.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 15, 2024

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Protesting. Building parallel structures to care for people. These are a much better use of time than either voting or scolding people for not voting as they're told.

Not directed at redshirt: why is it so important to you how other people use their vote? To me, it screams of trying to control other people's actions.

I'll be honest though, the vast majority of people who don't vote don't do those things. I don't think that refraining from doing the most basic low-effort parts of being a citizen is some sort of signifier of higher-level political interaction.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Drat! The boss says I cant take time off to protest and use the parallel systems, and the landlord agrees! Politics sure is something!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tarkus posted:

I'll be honest though, the vast majority of people who don't vote don't do those things. I don't think that refraining from doing the most basic low-effort parts of being a citizen is some sort of signifier of higher-level political interaction.

I don't necessarily think it is either. My point is that your vote is yours to do with as you please.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

wizard2 posted:

Drat! The boss says I cant take time off to protest and use the parallel systems, and the landlord agrees! Politics sure is something!

That's why you unionize.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If people "WILL shame you" for not voting how they like, then those people need to get a life and/or outside hobbies, straight up.

And the only point of protesting, ultimately, is to pressure representatives to vote a certain way.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

That's why you unionize.

Wish I'd thought of that sooner! :doh:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I mean yeah go do something better with your time instead of posturing about people commenting on voting, agreed. That's why it's stupid that some leftists have made it a pet thing. 'Oh you want to control me when you tell me how to vote' bitch you are leftist, this means you disavow hyper-individuality in favor of the collective which yes means less individual choice. Unless you're leaning into anarchist libertarianism, in which case get to helping your community more because that is predicated on the idea of active community providing entirely by itself without any sort of force from govt, and can literally only work if you're practicing what you preach.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the united states is a corrupt/mixed democracy and the individual voter almost doesnt matter at all

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

potato salad is easily the worst. baked is mid but nowhere near the bottom

loving wild. Just saying anything for engagement now?!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There are no worst potato dishes. Only potato dishes made with the wrong type of potato. Potato will never fail you. They can only be failed by you.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

zedprime posted:

There are no worst potato dishes. Only potato dishes made with the wrong type of potato. Potato will never fail you. They can only be failed by you.

Actually, if you have a favorite potato serving style then by definition you have less favorite styles, and thus let the rankings commence!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Bottom tier potatoes are fried+cooled+microwaved anything.
Always tastes awful unless you're drunk and they're covered in superior condiments.

Baked potatoes are usually pretty lame but can be jazzed up much like any other pile of starch. Plain baked potatoes even have their moments like camping on a cold day.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Like give me a plain french fry over a spoon of plain baked potato.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

redshirt posted:

Actually, if you have a favorite potato serving style then by definition you have less favorite styles, and thus let the rankings commence!
You can rank whatever you want but using a word with a strong negative connotation like worst for something as blessed as a potato implies you are personally doing wrong things to the potato.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

zedprime posted:

You can rank whatever you want but using a word with a strong negative connotation like worst for something as blessed as a potato implies you are personally doing wrong things to the potato.

Are you a potato?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

redshirt posted:

Are you a potato?

Don't we all have a little bit of potato in us?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

And the only point of protesting, ultimately, is to pressure representatives to vote a certain way.

Which is convenient because if you don't have a lot of money, they don't notice or care what you have to say.

the united states is a corrupt/mixed democracy and the individual voter almost doesnt matter at all

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

e: DP; sorry.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Best way to cook a potato.

Slice it lengthwise, but not all the way down so it splits in two, twist the knife a bit so it opens up. Make several slices perpendicular to that first one. Same thing, twist the knife a bit to open it up.
Shove pieces of onion in the splits. Red onion, Spanish onion, whatever. Put it on some tinfoil and either smear oil all over that bitch or wipe a bunch of butter on it. Then dump a bunch of spices on that poo poo. Whatever the gently caress you want, garlic, curry powders, jerk seasoning, cumin, whatever the gently caress you want.

Fold the tin foil over top of that poo poo but don't wrap it tightly, try and wrap it so that only the bottom and sides are touching the foil. Then kinda like twist to foil together at the top to close it up.

Cook that poo poo on the bbq or in the oven for however long it takes to cook. That'll depend on the size of the potato, how hot you have the oven set at etc... I'll let you decide.
Part way through the cooking process turn the foil package on its side for a bit, then on the other side.
When its done tear that poo poo open on to a plate and eat the fuckin poo poo out of that thing.

Also, truths that people aren't ready for:

Everyone here can suck a fuckin male camel's dick.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Slice it lengthwise, but not all the way down so it splits in two, twist the knife a bit so it opens up. Make several slices perpendicular to that first one. Same thing, twist the knife a bit to open it up.
Shove pieces of onion in the splits. Red onion, Spanish onion, whatever. Put it on some tinfoil and either smear oil all over that bitch or wipe a bunch of butter on it. Then dump a bunch of spices on that poo poo. Whatever the gently caress you want, garlic, curry powders, jerk seasoning, cumin, whatever the gently caress you want.

Fold the tin foil over top of that poo poo but don't wrap it tightly, try and wrap it so that only the bottom and sides are touching the foil. Then kinda like twist to foil together at the top to close it up.

Cook that poo poo on the bbq or in the oven for however long it takes to cook. That'll depend on the size of the potato, how hot you have the oven set at etc... I'll let you decide.
Part way through the cooking process turn the foil package on its side for a bit, then on the other side.
When its done tear that poo poo open on to a plate and eat the fuckin poo poo out of that thing.

been in the xkcd thread at all today brother?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

All that for a fuckin baked potato??

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

redshirt posted:

All that for a fuckin baked potato??

would you rather suck a camel's dick?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

dervival posted:

are those the only options?!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dervival posted:

Let me get back to you on that.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Rad-daddio posted:

are those the only options?!

i have to assume so, otherwise I don't know where wesleywillis got the idea that GBS is all throat goats otherwise

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

In big races, ofc. Locally? It can absolutely make a difference, depending on the circumstances of the race and what's at stake. But honestly, I don't care if people vote, it just bothers me that it's all memetic to hate on anything perceived as lib-adjacent to the point it's getting ridiculous.

Making your point of contention that it's rude and bad etiquette to care about voting issssssss definitely not praxis. That's more 'ew, we don't want to look cringe, like the libs, now do we??' tribalism BS

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 15, 2024

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

dervival posted:

Or a polar bear's smelly rear end?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just wanted to say how much I disagree with this. What are elections if not the collections of individual voter choices? By definition.

Not about the US being a corrupt democracy. But about votes that don't matter. UNLESS you are proposing some system of fraud.... Are you?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

Just wanted to say how much I disagree with this. What are elections if not the collections of individual voter choices? By definition.

Contests between oligarchs who don't give a drat what you think.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

been in the xkcd thread at all today brother?

The what thread?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Contests between oligarchs who don't give a drat what you think.

They care when they don't get elected, don't they?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

The what thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056236

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

wesleywillis posted:

The what thread?

the lowkey goatse thread i have petitioned the :mods: to change the title to the goatkcd thread and make you the ik, days ago, but they have ignored me

also lol that this thread went on a tangent the 🅾️🅱️ is forbidden from posting about, that's funny as poo poo and a truth he don't wanna hear and ain't ready for

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

wizard2 posted:

I care so much more than you and want to change things for the better and I'm going to protest to make my voice heard! Oh wait, I'm supposed to protest on my own time and not while my boss is paying me? Oh well, in that case....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Not about the US being a corrupt democracy. But about votes that don't matter. UNLESS you are proposing some system of fraud.... Are you?

i'm simply trying to suppress voter turnout amongst the politically aware class who would post about it on forums, who are more likely to make informed choices and not vote against their own interest and elect oligarchs who seek only to further dismantle the democratic system. as i am a paid deep state agent (gbs ik)