Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Always interested in warbird restorations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

MrMojok posted:

Always interested in warbird restorations!

Here's a recenet video of them flying the B-25 and A-26 to get their ratings current https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJEX-ASP3Dg

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

He said the titular line and immediately got shot down lol

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Somehow, Palpatine Return....wait, sorry. Now we're Masters of the Air, an ethnically diverse group of allies, a United Nations if you will, cheer the US flag and roll credits. I'd ask how much this cost, but after Secret Invasion, who knows where the actual money went.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ninurta posted:

I'd ask how much this cost, but after Secret Invasion, who knows where the actual money went.

Holding contracts during covid, movie star money and I suspect having to pay out Fukunaga after they dropped him from directing the entire thing.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Just finished the series and I agree that the pacing was definitely the major shortcoming. I found some of the writing to be pretty corny as well, especially if you have subtitles on and can read what people are saying in the background. I particularly didn't like Barry Keoghan's character dying off screen all for the sake of making the viewer think Buck is also dead. Felt very cheap.

That being said, Callum Turner and Austin Butler were fantastic in their roles. The series did also did a good job making the Nazi regime seem real instead of some distant unknown menace, which is always the impression I get when watching Band of Brothers. The aerial shots of the big formations flying around were always really impressive as well. I'm no CGI expert but I thought it was one of the more realistic looking approaches I've seen on screen. Didn't take me out of it the way most CGI scenes do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I enjoyed this last episode. Some good perspectives shown. I really enjoyed them flying the food drop mission, always nice to see another shot of the planes in the air. I'll always think they could have done a lot better, but at least it has a nice ending. It doesn't leave me feeling like I'm leaving a bunch of friends that I won't see again, like Band of Brothers does, but it's nice closure.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Where was the denouement? I hate to compare this series to BoB, but the stark contrast between Points and this finale is hard to ignore.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The book itself is kinda messy as its more of a history of the bombing campaign versus a cohesive story narrative, and then you have the development hell issues of the show on top of it.

I feel like this is the actual issue for the most part. The actual accounts simply do not lend themselves to as much of an engaging plot as the story of easy company.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's no wonder HBO passed on this. Apple TV certainly got what they wanted, though, which is ~:20bux: of my money.

Is this actually how it went down? HBO was presented with a third amblin WW2 series a decade later, and they denied it being produced based on the quality of the premise? I suppose it's possible, but it seems a bit farfetched with how I understand media works these days.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 15, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jehde posted:

Is this actually how it went down? HBO was presented with a third amblin WW2 series a decade later, and they denied it being produced based on the quality of the premise? I suppose it's possible, but it seems a bit farfetched with how I understand media works these days.

Unclear. Here's the timeline as I understand it:

HBO had been developing it with Amblin Entertainment back in 2013, but that stalled out over the next few years. The actual reasons for this have never, as far as I can tell, been reported, so your guess -- unworkable premise, technology that wasn't there yet at an acheivable price point -- is as good as mine.

Apple and Amblin then announced they were developing it in 2019 (which, depending on how this transfer went over this could also account for the show's costs) at which point it only went into active filming in 2021.

July 2021 the show went on pause due to covid, which is around the point where additional directors (other than Cary Fukunaga, who worked on the first half of the series) were announced. Allegations of Fukunaga's misconduct broke in October and continued into the following year.

I don't know when filming completed, but wikipedia says something about them having a twelve month license for the mock RAF base they custom built for the show. So my guess is that they completed in 2021 and then the show went into post for several years.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 15, 2024

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
This show was just…kinda bad? Not completely awful but I can’t see myself ever rewatching it or recommending it to someone

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

HBO also made a killing off the sales of BoB DVDs, while sales of the Pacific were much lower.

It may be that with as much money as HBO spent on The Pacific, they took a bath on the series, which helped to put them off this one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If they got to see any early drafts or planning documents, I could see HBO passing on this. It's hard to believe they've been planning this since 2013. I wonder if they had a good show back then and then just kept working on it until it was poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
From what I remember The Pacific might have lost HBO money. At the time it was the most expensive TV miniseries ever made. It's a very good show but it never had the same impact as Band of Brothers. So they were likely hesitant to sign off on a third show that would be even more expensive.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The finale was just fine. I did like how Buck and Bucky both retained their model good looks and perfect hair despite spending over a year in a POW camp.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm sure Hugo Boss made sure that every German uniform had plenty of pomade so the Germans just gave their extras to the prisoners.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Such a shame this show was so messy. I’d love to see more series tackle the air war but this was not it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Cool! See you all in another fourteen!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
pretty cool to see your hometown bombed in the opening :v: also lol at the "we're the masters of the air" line, almost felt like parodying that meme

in general a lot of cheesy and possibly shoehorned stuff that could've profited from more episodes/separate seasons/I don't know what but all in all not regrettable to watch and very well done at times. It's a shame the Tuskegee Airmen didn't get more time to breathe, but you could say that about a lot of stuff.

I'm definitely gonna watch the documentary when I get the chance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They weren't Masters of the Air, they were Little Women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlZSxjOTmpI

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Feel like I'm largely just repeating myself at this point, but there were good parts of that episode that just further reinforced the season-long problem that the show wasn't quite sure what it wanted to be. There's enough there to make me thing it COULD have been salvaged into something better, but then I get the impression that the whole reason it got made in the first place is because enough people kept saying that and having a go for 10+ years until eventually somebody said,"gently caress it, good enough, put it out there!"

Time for a Band of Brothers rewatch!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Be sure to do your best Major Horton!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
There are two things from The Pacific that I think they could’ve cribbed to make the series flow a bit better:

Firstly, IIRC, The Pacific would sometimes start an ep with a short animated map sequence, outlining where the hell the characters were in that episode. I feel something similar could be utilised to illustrate the context a bit better for every raid that was depicted. So, not to show where the characters are, but rather show what historical mission will be the centrepiece for the episode. While some of that is covered in the episodes themselves, I think a graphical illustration just for the viewers would do wonders for the coherency of the scale and distance of the operations.

Secondly, the Tuskegee Airmen had to be introduced much much earlier. With hindsight their inclusion in the penultimate episode is frankly absurd in its abruptness. The show were also clearly not interested in dwelling too much on the icky racial politics of its time, to it’s detriment IMO. A more sensible approach would have been to include those fliers much much sooner; if the timeline would’ve put them in training while the 100th were shred to pieces over Bremen, so be it: the point is that their characters should’ve been established much sooner than they were. As to my point with The Pacific, this was exactly how they treated Sledge: while the other marines were kicking about in the Solomons, we got snippets of Sledge loving up mortar training back in California.

All this to say that this series was a healthy mix of truly well directed action sequences and a good amount of details, with some very questionable narrative decisions.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I remember not liking the Pacific that much at the time but on recent rewatch I absolutely loved it and now I am reading books about the Pacific campaign. So much I didn't know compared to the European theater.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Octy posted:

The finale was just fine. I did like how Buck and Bucky both retained their model good looks and perfect hair despite spending over a year in a POW camp.

It's funny how there was a mandate to make Austin Butler look cool at all times. When they were getting out of the plane in Africa in episode 3 or 4, you see his crew getting out of the plane with their little leather helmets on and all that, and Butler comes out with just his amazing hairdo intact.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I particularly didn't like Barry Keoghan's character dying off screen all for the sake of making the viewer think Buck is also dead. Felt very cheap.

Off screen? We watched his plane hit the ground and then explode. Did you want his head to fly into the camera or something?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

McNally posted:

Off screen? We watched his plane hit the ground and then explode. Did you want his head to fly into the camera or something?

"That's the end of me, I'm dead. Blleeeegggghhh"

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

McNally posted:

Maybe I need to re-watch that episode lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Maybe I need to re-watch that episode lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyL1xfrF9L8

Convinced himself he could land a plane so his barely alive copilot might survive, ends up planting it in the dirt.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I like Barry, he looks like something Hergé would draw. Was a shame to see him die so early but IIRC at the time of filming he wasn’t really a known actor.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

I like Barry, he looks like something Hergé would draw. Was a shame to see him die so early but IIRC at the time of filming he wasn’t really a known actor.

Killing Of A Sacred Deer was 2017, which is probably (still?) what he's most famous for. But in 2021 he'd have just filmed The Green Knight and Eternals, and possibly his The Batman cameo, so he was definitely known as an up and comer in the industry. Enough that his early death would probably be intended to come as a shock.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
my favourite bit was when cros did an abyss gazes also speech wondering if hes as bad as the nazis because he shoved someones face into scrambled eggs

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This was the video I was remembering when I posted last night.

I’d give a tl;dw summary but it’s been a while since I watched it as well, and I can’t watch ATM.

This is all this guy’s speculation, but from what I remember, the conclusion is that it certainly does appear that they lost millions on The Pacific.

https://youtu.be/rv6SpXvqZU0?si=-QfXWlO-JDK5O5_i

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I enjoyed the show. Probably won't rewatch it in the future though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

my favourite bit was when cros did an abyss gazes also speech wondering if hes as bad as the nazis because he shoved someones face into scrambled eggs

Now baby I hear the Germans callin, tossed parachutes and scrambled eggs. They're callin again. Scrambled eggs all over my face. What is a supply officer to do.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Thom12255 posted:

I enjoyed the show. Probably won't rewatch it in the future though.

Yeah, again, that's what messes with me. There's not a single scene from this show that I can see myself looking up again in the short to long term future.

I even thought the "cards" at the end were poorly done because "oh hey, you probably don't know the Tuskegee Airmen well enough so to make up for the fact that we put them at the back of the bus end of the series, here's the info on the two who were on camera the most."

And lastly, I felt like the "stars" of this show were Croz and Rosie, but they couldn't ever get away from/over the loving ~heartthrobs~, one of which was a pro-grade rear end in a top hat and the other was James Dean'ed to the point where his every moment on screen felt like I was watching a Top Secret! remake.

This show needed more time in the oven. We wanted fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and instead we got borderline raw cookie dough. It's still (mostly) edible, but it's still a loving disappointment when you were expecting cookies.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

okay raw cookie dough is better than cookies though

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is the show under cooked or over cooked? They've been working on the show since 2013. I could easily believe that they had a good show at one point and then delays and covid happened and then they honed it into a big pile of poo poo.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyL1xfrF9L8

Convinced himself he could land a plane so his barely alive copilot might survive, ends up planting it in the dirt.

Ok so I realize what happened- I had watched the first 2 episodes and most of the 3rd before stopping to wait for my wife to catch up. She decided she didn't care for it after the first episode so I started back on Ep 4, and for some reason I thought he was on the mission where Buck goes down.

Thanks for the video, convinced me I need to rewatch all of Ep 3.

EDIT: I wouldn't call it "a big pile of poo poo", it's still a great show about an under-represented aspect of WW2, but the pacing is really muddled and some of the plotlines begin and end in weird places so the whole thing isn't nearly as cohesive as say Band of Brothers. I remember when the Pacific aired, a lot of the same criticisms were made of it, I'd say MotA has those problems but dialed up a bit. I think the acting is better in this than in the Pacific- just my 2c though.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 15, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dunno I think it's hard to top Rami Malek in The Pacific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Arc Hammer posted:

I dunno I think it's hard to top Rami Malek in The Pacific.

Extremely hard - he's unreal in that show.