Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Play posted:

Yeah I don't think the arc thrower is overpowered, personally I can't stand how weak it feels per shot, and how it doesn't seem to stun or flinch. I'm sure a full team of them can be effective but so could many weapons in that situation.

Sometimes I see in my friends list people playing a 'private game' that can't be joined even though there are less than four people, so it must be possible at least on pc. Someone mentioned earlier that maybe it is a stream setting.

I assure you that this is matchmaking loving up, and not a setting one can apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm an EAT fanatic now so I mostly rely on the guard dog, eagle airstrike and my primary to deal with chaff.

I like the flamethrower, but it just feels too drat good to one hit kill chargers and seriously damage titans with each EAT. In comparison, flamethrower takes forever to roast a charger and feels all but useless against titans.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Play posted:

I'm an EAT fanatic now so I mostly rely on the guard dog, eagle airstrike and my primary to deal with chaff.

I like the flamethrower, but it just feels too drat good to one hit kill chargers and seriously damage titans with each EAT. In comparison, flamethrower takes forever to roast a charger and feels all but useless against titans.

I still like the flamethrower because it's horde clearing and charger control in one button, but the great thing about EAT is that you can drop your flamethrower, grab an EAT, give the Bile Titan a facefull of AT, then go back to burning hordes of hunters and slow roasting chargers.

I'm ALWAYS happy to have someone using the EAT on my team. Doubly so if they're chucking the things on cooldown.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I used to despise the arc thrower for all the times I or a friend killed someone/me with friendly fire but after hours of play I now find it super useful in certain conditions. Also a nice thing to find in the world map sometimes when you want to save autocannon ammo on the group of enemies that just rolled up to the POI you found it at.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
This Major Order seems like a trap by the devs to punish us for our abundant enthusiasm. Don't tell the Democracy Officer, but I think it's a bad idea and will lead to bad things!

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Kinda wish more support weapons were single use, short cooldown like the EAT. It makes for a nice option in between a carryable weapon and orbital/air strikes.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Dyz posted:

Kinda wish more support weapons were single use, short cooldown like the EAT. It makes for a nice option in between a carryable weapon and orbital/air strikes.
They did add a few more in the first game (the satchel charges and metalstorm MG) so hopefully those make a return.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dyz posted:

Gimme a minigun that pierces heavy armor and has like 10 seconds worth of ammo and a 60 second cooldown. Still able to take out a charger, but takes longer to kill one than an EAT and can also use on swarms

Piell fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 15, 2024

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

how do you guys deal with the autonom cannon towers? pinpoint accuracy from a mile away with an aoe is brutal to even try to approach, and once you're there stratagems are fairly unlikely to actually kill it. i know about the weakpoint in the back that takes 10+ railgun shots to kill, just getting it exposed is pretty difficult if you don't want to wait on your buddy to circle around the long way all the way to the other side of the base and bumble into a patrol on the way. and then it requires the aforementioned 10+ charged railgun hits. i saw a base spawn with 2 of them and trying to tackle that even with a coordinated team sounds like hell, is there something i'm missing?

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

ninjewtsu posted:

how do you guys deal with the autonom cannon towers? pinpoint accuracy from a mile away with an aoe is brutal to even try to approach, and once you're there stratagems are fairly unlikely to actually kill it. i know about the weakpoint in the back that takes 10+ railgun shots to kill, just getting it exposed is pretty difficult if you don't want to wait on your buddy to circle around the long way all the way to the other side of the base and bumble into a patrol on the way. and then it requires the aforementioned 10+ charged railgun hits. i saw a base spawn with 2 of them and trying to tackle that even with a coordinated team sounds like hell, is there something i'm missing?

3 autocannon shots to the vent from 500m on my way to the objective before it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Two RR/EAT hits to the front plate of the turret will also destroy it. A single shot to the vent on the back will also kill I believe.

The RR is quite useable for long range shots on those things. Just ping the turret for the range and follow this:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did some testing tonight:

GR-8 Recoilless Rifle Sight Ranges
Close range: use the inner dot
~100m: halfway between dot and bottom of outer ring
~200m: bottom of outer ring
~300m: halfway between bottom of outer ring and bottom edge of sight.
~400-450m: bottom edge of sight

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the RR can kill that poo poo from the front??????

gently caress

why the hell don't airstrikes then!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I run behind them and throw two grenades then dip out before any robots are even aware of my presence :cool:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ninjewtsu posted:

gently caress

Airstrikes usually hit the ground and the turrets are elevated. The turret's barbette is invincible.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ninjewtsu posted:

gently caress

They will, but the radius is too low to accurately hit them with any reliability, it has to hand directly on top. 110s/laser will hit it just fine

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

The precision targeted/railgun? orbital will target the turrets as long as there aren't any hulks/tanks nearby.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i could've sworn my airstrikes were hitting the turret itself, i assumed they needed to actually hit the weakpoint to count. i'll try that out some more then

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
orbital laser also kills them very efficiently(as well as basically every kind of bot)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

...how good is RR/EAT vs chargers from the front anyway, i've seen them strip armor but i've just about never personally used them

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

LazyMaybe posted:

orbital laser also kills them very efficiently(as well as basically every kind of bot)

you only get 3 of these per mission right? i have a buddy that runs it and it seems pretty good when you're way far up poo poo creek but that hard limit on usage when there's so many bases to kill has me pretty disinterested in it myself

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

EAT now kills chargers if you headshot them. it's even better now, really the best support weapon for bugs imo. for bots the best one is still autocannon

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

...how good is RR/EAT vs chargers from the front anyway, i've seen them strip armor but i've just about never personally used them

Hugely better now that it's possible to one-shot them in the face

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Hugely better now that it's possible to one-shot them in the face

hey mom its 420 posted:

EAT now kills chargers if you headshot them. it's even better now, really the best support weapon for bugs imo. for bots the best one is still autocannon

:aaa:

ok i guess i'm working EAT into my normal loadout then

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Play posted:

Sometimes I see in my friends list people playing a 'private game' that can't be joined even though there are less than four people, so it must be possible at least on pc. Someone mentioned earlier that maybe it is a stream setting.

No, it's just buggy. Sometimes the game realizes your steam friends are friends and sometimes it doesn't. When you get that private game error it's because the game thinks you aren't friends, the work-around I've found for that is to friend them via the in-game friend code and not just steam.

There is no way to create an actual private game yet, anyone the game thinks is your friend can join you at any time if your party isn't full.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

hey mom its 420 posted:

Yeah, I did one of the termicide missions and I was calling down EAT pods the second they'd come off CD and everyone would just grab one whenever they needed. The chargers were less concerning than the rest of the bugs.

For it to be easy you gotta be looking at them dead on and I used ADS. Smack on in the middle of the face was a kill 100% of the time.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Was there ever an akimbo pistols option in the first game?

I'm just having so much fun diving and shooting midair that I'm getting Max Payne 3 multiplayer matchelbsense memories

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

johnny park posted:

It's REALLY good, but simultaneously a huge disadvantage to not have regular explosive grenades if your support weapon is an RR or something and you've got medium-armor enemies bearing down on you, or if you need to plug bug holes or blow up fabricators. Pretty much the perfect sidegrade. I'd want one person in my squad to have them but probably just that one

I generally run the AC so I can get away with not having regular nades.

Just had a game where I stunned 3 chargers and dropped a SEAF artillery on all three, was pretty great

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

LazyMaybe posted:

The last video I saw of this was actually just the blue hitspark from some ground plant-trap hitting a charger's leg armor.

I was very much in the “nah that’s just a riccochet” but this one seems more confusing https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers...nt=share_button (sorry for Reddit link)

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Best screenshot I could get of it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Piell posted:

Gimme a minigun that pierces heavy armor and has like 10 seconds worth of ammo and a 60 second cooldown. Still able to take out a charger, but takes longer to kill one than an EAT and can also use on swarms

:raise:

If I had a nickel for each time I heard this suggestion in 12 hours, I'd have 2 nickels. Which isn't much, but is strange that it happened twice. I'll just say the same thing I said to the other person: this is just an autocannon with extra steps. The niches for this things job are well covered, and I'm frankly unclear what the benefit is beyond aesthetics.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Warmachine posted:

:raise:

If I had a nickel for each time I heard this suggestion in 12 hours, I'd have 2 nickels. Which isn't much, but is strange that it happened twice. I'll just say the same thing I said to the other person: this is just an autocannon with extra steps. The niches for this things job are well covered, and I'm frankly unclear what the benefit is beyond aesthetics.

Autocannon doesn't pierce heavy armor

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I have fallen in love with the grenade launcher + ammo pack. It's such a good combo for sustained crowd control. I think I might pair it with a medical armor so I can incidentally stockpile more stims from my backpack when I resupply. I'm still deciding if I want to invest in Eagle (Airstrike/Rocket/500kg) or Orbital (Prec Strike/Rail gun) for anti heavy work.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Piell posted:

Autocannon doesn't pierce heavy armor

it sounds like warmachine thinks it should though, and i concur

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

RandomBlue posted:

No, it's just buggy. Sometimes the game realizes your steam friends are friends and sometimes it doesn't. When you get that private game error it's because the game thinks you aren't friends, the work-around I've found for that is to friend them via the in-game friend code and not just steam.

There is no way to create an actual private game yet, anyone the game thinks is your friend can join you at any time if your party isn't full.

Yeah I'm realizing now that maybe I just assumed I couldn't join the game since it said private and I wouldn't want to disturb anyone's privacy :ohdear:

causticBeet posted:

I was very much in the “nah that’s just a riccochet” but this one seems more confusing https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers...nt=share_button (sorry for Reddit link)

That certainly does look like an insta kill blue beam...

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, I did one of the termicide missions and I was calling down EAT pods the second they'd come off CD and everyone would just grab one whenever they needed. The chargers were less concerning than the rest of the bugs.

For it to be easy you gotta be looking at them dead on and I used ADS. Smack on in the middle of the face was a kill 100% of the time.

Specifically on the forehead, you'd THINK the mouth would be more vulnerable than the heavily armored forehead but that is not the case for whatever reason

brodude
Apr 22, 2008

I'm not a malefactor, I'm a lagomorph.
the sickle is just a liberator with unlimited ammo, it rules. lol

that new armor that cuts 95% of electric damage (with an arc thrower equipped) seems to be the way to go right now.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

it sounds like warmachine thinks it should though, and i concur

I do think it should. Armor chipping is a real risk. :hai:

I'm really craving weapon and ammo customization. Let me give up the explosive effect of the autocannon to replace the rounds with solid AP shells like a fully automatic 30mm AMR.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Laser Guard Dog is so rear end with how often it targets you.

I've played close to 30 games now and not once in my entire career has a teammate helped me load my recoilless rifle. I am usually the only guy effectively taking out chargers (I loving hate chargers) and my teammates will just ignore me whilst I slowly put another round in whilst the charger carries on tearing up their poo poo.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Qubee posted:

I've played close to 30 games now and not once in my entire career has a teammate helped me load my recoilless rifle. I am usually the only guy effectively taking out chargers (I loving hate chargers) and my teammates will just ignore me whilst I slowly put another round in whilst the charger carries on tearing up their poo poo.

your teammates can only help you reload if they have the backpack and you don't move at all

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Qubee posted:

The teammate needs to equip the backpack that comes down with it, not you. Good luck getting someone to do that then follow you around to reload every time you need one, I wouldn't even try it with my friends I use voice with while playing, they'll inevitably be 100m away through no fault of their own when I need to reload. We've done it when two of use are using auto cannons though. You really should be able to team reload from the other person's pack, it's right there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Qubee posted:

I don't know if they've adjusted the laser guard dog because the last couple of nights has had it kill me more than the rest of the time I've ran it since the game launched.