Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I started my first ever trivial game so I could see the flag raising mission, and figured I'd check out the post-patch flamethrower at the same time.

I spawned, grabbed my flamer, immediately set myself on fire and died because I forgot I'd rebound my stim button. Didn't even see a bug. :negative:

freedom called, and democracy answered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I spawned, grabbed my flamer, immediately set myself on fire and died because I forgot I'd rebound my stim button. Didn't even see a bug. :negative:

I hope the camera drone that films the flag raising documented this and broadcast it to every home on super earth

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

turn off the TV posted:

i deeply appreciate that there are fully armored chargers that are mechanically identical to the regular ones with less armor. it makes a large amount of sense

Oh I found a page with them

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Third World Reagan posted:

oh i've seen the back of that bladed mouth clipping into my view as i ragdoll against a rock a few times

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I assume that the devs are releasing new maps as they assign them for attack/defense, because the new one is pretty buggy. Bots shooting through rocks, getting stuck in water, mobs randomly spawning in without a ship, it's been a rough night.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

I assume that the devs are releasing new maps as they assign them for attack/defense, because the new one is pretty buggy. Bots shooting through rocks, getting stuck in water, mobs randomly spawning in without a ship, it's been a rough night.

I think its server issues. Alt F4'd out for the night after repeated failures to reinforce on beacon when others could (or couldnt, it wasnt reliable)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Oh God, the Eagle Smoke Strike. I so have the awful idea of dropping that in the middle of the extraction site mission end just to be annoying

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Cimber posted:

Oh God, the Eagle Smoke Strike. I so have the awful idea of dropping that in the middle of the extraction site mission end just to be annoying

Smoke is legitimately good against bots

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Oh, hey, it looks like the jetpack got buffed. Nice.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

sweet, what changed?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

As of the patch yesterday I've started auto vaulting on everything, especially the resupply container. I couldn't find a setting for it anywhere. Anyone have thoughts?

Also did they up the difficulty of higher missions? My group was pretty regularly doing extracts on 9, and now we're barely finishing 7s. We were never all running railgun/shield so it's not from the weapon changes.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

The Slack Lagoon posted:

As of the patch yesterday I've started auto vaulting on everything, especially the resupply container. I couldn't find a setting for it anywhere. Anyone have thoughts?

Also did they up the difficulty of higher missions? My group was pretty regularly doing extracts on 9, and now we're barely finishing 7s. We were never all running railgun/shield so it's not from the weapon changes.

I would imagine being able to put sentries up on high locations and tops of buildings would be nice.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Literally can't complete a single mission all night because of constant disconnects

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Are you jerkin' my chain bud

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
You only auto mantle while sprinting, but yeah it's hilarious that my guy jumps to the top of every single resupply pod before I manage to grab anything

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

kaxman posted:

You only auto mantle while sprinting, but yeah it's hilarious that my guy jumps to the top of every single resupply pod before I manage to grab anything

helldivers are cat coded

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
something (among the many of things) that isn't exactly clear to me is the laser cannon: for instance, i read on this thread that although it will show the deflection symbol when aiming at a chargers foot, if held long enough on that focused point it will start to melt/crack/penetrate or something and do damage. Is this typical? does the laser damage slowly erode plating or is it like a scaling damage where the longer it's focused on that part the higher the dps goes?

it's not (seemingly) consistent. I've had fights where I'll aim it on a chargers leg but it wont do the typical 'grunts' of pain like when its receiving damage, so its not clear.

On the brightside of things, one thing i noticed that I really like about this game is that it reminds me (oddly) of Monster Hunter: World. You're dropped into an open map, theres an ecology, theres things to collect, theres environmental hazards and you have your own objectives for being there, and thats mixed with this kind of extraction shooter metric with samples being worth something.

Speaking of, I wonder what more they'll do with that system? Between running out of things to buy with requisition slips, i wonder what we can eventually do with samples once we'te done maxing all the tiers?

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 8, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

whoever said its very obvious when players are out of their element was 100% correct

some ppl just constantly die doing i cant even imagine what

in a 4p run i died once and had to wait 2 min lmao

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Amazing Member posted:

something (among the many of things) that isn't exactly clear to me is the laser cannon: for instance, i read on this thread that although it will show the deflection symbol when aiming at a chargers foot, if held long enough on that focused point it will start to melt/crack/penetrate or something and do damage. Is this typical? does the laser damage slowly erode plating or is it like a scaling damage where the longer it's focused on that part the higher the dps goes?

it's not (seemingly) consistent. I've had fights where I'll aim it on a chargers leg but it wont do the typical 'grunts' of pain like when its receiving damage, so its not clear.

On the brightside of things, one thing i noticed that I really like about this game is that it reminds me (oddly) of Monster Hunter: World. You're dropped into an open map, theres an ecology, theres things to collect, theres environmental hazards and you have your own objectives for being there, and thats mixed with this kind of extraction shooter metric with samples being worth something.

Speaking of, I wonder what more they'll do with that system? Between running out of things to buy with requisition slips, i wonder what we can eventually do with samples once we'te done maxing all the tiers?
Probably running into this bug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okWiUwksefQ

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Laser cannon is real good now! Also the meteor strikes are way more obvious on any planet other than the moonish one (fenrir?)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Did some testing tonight:

GR-8 Recoilless Rifle Sight Ranges
Close range: use the inner dot
~100m: halfway between dot and bottom of outer ring
~200m: bottom of outer ring
~300m: halfway between bottom of outer ring and bottom edge of sight.
~400-450m: bottom edge of sight

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Amazing Member posted:

There's at least three more tiers of destroyer upgrades that they haven't released yet so the sample grind is just getting started.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Third World Reagan posted:

unironically they should give the normal charger medium armor on its leg joints and have this spawn alongside it as a tougher, less frequent variant

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

What do people bring on the missions where you can only bring 3 stratagems?

Just did an 8 with bots with increased call down time and one less stratagem and it was awful. I brought shield, orbital laser, and airstrike and just tried to stealth all the objectives. The eliminate enemies was the worst and we got the last 3 kills right as our last reinforcement was dropping in. Still cleared all the objectives so that counts as a win, but it didn't feel comfortable at all.

I could probably forgo a shield but it seems like I have no way to survive without it.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

That's so weird, maybe thats causing a lot of the confusion at AH and on the reddit forums, even without support weapons, taking out a charger seems pretty straight forward, it could just be a lot of people are getting stuck or a negative reaction to shooting the legs and just giving up trying, so many tiny things out of sync with this great game. This last update seems to have spawned some more anti-democratic bugs, i've had issues picking up the small arms shield and having my arms bug out wildly, and cant use strategems with it on.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

There's at least three more tiers of destroyer upgrades that they haven't released yet so the sample grind is just getting started.

:bisonyes:

J
Jun 10, 2001

I just got this game and it's really fun once I got the hang of the controls. I'm either misunderstanding the UI or running into a bug (:haw:) though, before mission launch when you're selecting gear and stratagems it always tells me I don't have any stratagems selected and that I need to select some to start the mission when I click the ready button. Then I basically have to go back and forth into and out of the menu a few times and eventually it magically lets me ready up even though I had strategems equipped the entire time. Am I missing something?

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This rules, you rule.

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Can any Helldivers 1 player explain how the mech and tanks worked?
They weren’t a straight upgrade and they had versatility downsides due to either weapon or crewing requirements. Outside of extraction, you’d want at least one person on foot to deal with situations quickly. The main thing i liked about them was having large amounts of explosives on tap; blowing up eggs was quick and easy.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Cimber posted:

My crew unironically smokes extract at mission end on bot fights. They’ll shoot around your last known position, allowing for a smooth escape!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

JonBolds posted:

My crew unironically smokes extract at mission end on bot fights. They’ll shoot around your last known position, allowing for a smooth escape!

drat ive only been doing it ironically, i need to shape up

E: joined an in progress using quick join and the shuttle was 2 seconds from arriving

sadly these clowns barely got any materials

Worf fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 8, 2024

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Has anyone else been having a weird bug where you take out a grenade after ever single stratagem you throw? It was happening to my entire team all night and went from a funny haha team kill after one mission to extremely annoying very quickly.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Game seems way harder now on level 5 as a lame solo, just huge amounts of warriors and brood commanders all over the place with chargers and those other armored bugs too. Way more than before and I just get swarmed!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Overlord K posted:

Has anyone else been having a weird bug where you take out a grenade after ever single stratagem you throw? It was happening to my entire team all night and went from a funny haha team kill after one mission to extremely annoying very quickly.

yes

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

WarpedLichen posted:

What do people bring on the missions where you can only bring 3 stratagems?

Just did an 8 with bots with increased call down time and one less stratagem and it was awful. I brought shield, orbital laser, and airstrike and just tried to stealth all the objectives. The eliminate enemies was the worst and we got the last 3 kills right as our last reinforcement was dropping in. Still cleared all the objectives so that counts as a win, but it didn't feel comfortable at all.

I could probably forgo a shield but it seems like I have no way to survive without it.

Autocannon, Eagle Airstrike, Orbital Laser are my picks, but usually I just go to a different planet because only 3 strategems sucks

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I better wake up to the Tien Kwan factories pumping out mechs tomorrow.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Overlord K posted:

If you have your quick grenade bound to your Strategem button you need to change it. That's what's causing it to happen.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As an aside, I remembered you can always hit q to tag something for its range.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

joined some pubs for ICBM on tien kwan, they all ragequit before any objectives were done, I did the prerequisites for the ICBM by myself but then was immediately told that the objectives were all done and extraction was available? anyway thanks for the easy super samples you left on your corpses bozos

the new laser cannon feels pretty decent and can even kill hulks by holding it on their eye for a few seconds! big fan of this patch full of cool buffs.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I'll tell you what, I wasn't prepared player headshot to be enable since this last patch. Striders are now super scary because of how easy they one-shot you now being able to snipe your head.

Still hasn't stopped me from soloing Helldrive, but still that much more scary. I approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SHISHKABOB posted:

As an aside, I remembered you can always hit q to tag something for its range.

Yup, I probably should've mentioned that. :v: