Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I went back and did all of Junon l’s optional stuff and sidequests. I don’t think I got a “last” sidequest like I did for grasslands - can I safely use this mindflayer material to make earrings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I went back and did all of Junon l’s optional stuff and sidequests. I don’t think I got a “last” sidequest like I did for grasslands - can I safely use this mindflayer material to make earrings

You can, though you'll need to beat it at least once more on hard mode to get the parts needed to craft everything if you want to max out your crafting stuff for whatever reason.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gi loving suck to fight. Apparently they were in the OG FF7 but I don't remember these dudes at all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Thundarr posted:

Gi loving suck to fight. Apparently they were in the OG FF7 but I don't remember these dudes at all.

Vengeance mode. Also Barret is the king, just have fun making GBS threads on them despite the tricks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Thundarr posted:

the entire Gi section in the OG lasted about an hour and had no relevance to the larger plot, it was mainly there to justify Red’s existence

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Gi Nattek was the staple “undead boss that dies instantly to a phoenix down” in the original so I’ll never forget him

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mostly it was the guys who can resurrect the others that fly around dodging everything. Then whoops, everybody is turned to stone guess you gotta do the fight all over! Yeah I can equip things to resist that, I've just never been a fan of "go through multiple menus to change your whole equipment setup to block a save-or-die gimmick for the next five minutes".

And I'm not looking forward to that boss fight on hard, lots of fast animating unblockable attacks that do massive damage and juggle.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

RME posted:

Gi Nattek was the staple “undead boss that dies instantly to a phoenix down” in the original so I’ll never forget him

I do appreciate that in Rebirth you can still use a pheonix down on Gi Nattek, and while it doesn't instantly kill him it does annoy the hell out of him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It might not be clear but healing magic works on the Gis in Rebirth too and can gently caress up their days

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hey here's a dumb question.

Something that's always intrigued me since I was a kid playing FF7 for the first time is how all of the armor is wristwear of some kind. Is there any lore reason for that in any of the extended universe or Ultimanias or anything like that? I'm so curious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Hey here's a dumb question.

Something that's always intrigued me since I was a kid playing FF7 for the first time is how all of the armor is wristwear of some kind. Is there any lore reason for that in any of the extended universe or Ultimanias or anything like that? I'm so curious.

If you believe the item descriptions they are enchanted with protective spells and wards. I assume, barring anything else, that you slip one on and it basically gives you a low-level forcefield and they're all bracelets because sliding one over your wrist is probably the safest place to put one. (If I had to NoPrize it, I'd say that is also why you can't stack them because the wards/spells wouldn't stack/would mess each other up.)

Rings/braclets/etc of protection are an age-old RPG trope so it makes sense to just build on that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just found out that the Odin/Alexander fight I beat my head against for hours last night was Level 65. I am Level 49. Game, why would you direct me to this

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If you believe the item descriptions they are enchanted with protective spells and wards. I assume, barring anything else, that you slip one on and it basically gives you a low-level forcefield and they're all bracelets because sliding one over your wrist is probably the safest place to put one. (If I had to NoPrize it, I'd say that is also why you can't stack them because the wards/spells wouldn't stack/would mess each other up.)

Rings/braclets/etc of protection are an age-old RPG trope so it makes sense to just build on that.

Yeah, that's sort of what I figured.

I always found it really interesting as a game design decision. It's not like conventional armor doesn't also exist, so they could have made the armor slot have things like vests and breastplates and stuff, but they decided to go for exclusively wristwear instead. I wonder if anyone on the team was thinking about FF1 and its various bracelets that take up the body armor slot.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I do appreciate that in Rebirth you can still use a pheonix down on Gi Nattek, and while it doesn't instantly kill him it does annoy the hell out of him.

I was a little bummed that throwing a phoenix down at it didn't work like in the original. I didn't exactly expect it to, but still.

I got through that portion yesterday, and aw Barret, slipping his shades on when Nanaki found out the truth about his dad. You big softie..

My main beef with the Gi was how dang slow they talked/not being able to speed through the dialogue.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

LadyPictureShow posted:

I got through that portion yesterday, and aw Barret, slipping his shades on when Nanaki found out the truth about his dad. You big softie..

In Remake, shades come off when Barret's being emotional or serious. In Rebirth, shades go on when Barret's being emotional or serious. Who knows what kind of configuration we might see in Part 3?

A monocle!?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You'd think he'd want the shades on for more of the time when he LEAVES Midgar, too

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

got to Elena's first appearance, very spunky girl.

sounds a bit too much like Yuffie though

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Harrow posted:

I didn't mind the big junk arm too much really, but Palmer was just too much tonal whiplash. That fight didn't really need to be in the game if that was really the best place they had to put it.

1. That fight owns and has one of the best tracks in the game so yes it needed to be in the game

2. Are we seriously decrying "tonal whiplash" in Final Fantasy 7?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'll point out in the original game that The fight with Dyne transitions instantly into Chocobo Racing. They swapped that around, but if we're discussing tone shifts, it's there in FF7 too and arguably moreso.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
For me, the experience of this game would be vastly improved if, at the beginning of the game after it asked me if I was ok with using the controller speaker, it also asked me if I preferred to stuff Chadley into a locker and had some random moogle or something handle all the side quests. Chadley may be, to me, the most obnoxious NPC created in the known universe. I never thought I would pine for Navi.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Yup, just got to the Dyne portion. Much to think about.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

2. Are we seriously decrying "tonal whiplash" in Final Fantasy 7?

Haven't finished the game (although I'm close enough) and I'm gonna decry something if the credits aren't played over a snowboard minigame

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"Cowabunga!" Cloud sobs, tears streaming down his face as he does sick kick flips on a snowboard racing down a mountain immediately after a tragic event happens in the original game.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Aerith's Dead, Elena Fled, Time to Shred.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

With the sheer effort they put into Rebirth, I feel like Reload or whatever is going to have the best snowboarding game in the past 20 years in it, followed directly by a 'keep yourself warm' minigame that makes people destroy their PS6

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

ImpAtom posted:

With the sheer effort they put into Rebirth, I feel like Reload or whatever is going to have the best snowboarding game in the past 20 years in it, followed directly by a 'keep yourself warm' minigame that makes people destroy their PS6

Looking forward to the full arcade-style fighting game that will be Tifa vs Scarlet

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
My partner (a loving and compassionate person, after me a bleeding heart) keeps asking if there's any way we can bully Chadley more, perhaps by shoving him in a barrel and pushing him down a hill.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Chadley's a good lad who means well and certainly isn't planning on doing anything evil with all this combat data he's so eager for!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Chadley doesn't even have feelings it'd be like bullying a vacuum cleaner

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Ten Tonberries is boring to me. Someone tell me how the gently caress to deal with Ten Mandrakes (this is the flower crown quest on hard mode). What if you just immediately die to an unceasing hail of gunfire as soon as the battle begins, or if you burn all your contingencies to survive it immediately die to a second unceasing hail of gunfire? Is this supposed to be a puzzle encounter where one specific team comp and build trivialises it or what because I'm not seeing how this is even theoretically possible to win without just happening to get lucky enough once.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

What all the Chadley stuff lead to the ultimate summon, Chadley is knights of the round.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Cloud, using the extensive combat data you've generated I've developed a new type of summon materia! Based on an old legend of a king and his knights twelve, these 13 warriors will certainly give you the challenge you crave.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

lines posted:

My partner (a loving and compassionate person, after me a bleeding heart) keeps asking if there's any way we can bully Chadley more, perhaps by shoving him in a barrel and pushing him down a hill.

that's a fine question but ask them if there's anything else they want to know, about world intel.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fedule posted:

Ten Tonberries is boring to me. Someone tell me how the gently caress to deal with Ten Mandrakes (this is the flower crown quest on hard mode). What if you just immediately die to an unceasing hail of gunfire as soon as the battle begins, or if you burn all your contingencies to survive it immediately die to a second unceasing hail of gunfire? Is this supposed to be a puzzle encounter where one specific team comp and build trivialises it or what because I'm not seeing how this is even theoretically possible to win without just happening to get lucky enough once.

can't you just fire + miagnify them all

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I could probably fire magnify some of them and hope the remainder don't target the caster with one of their many instacancels (unrelatedly it is complete bullshit that you don't get ATB or MP back if a command fails for any reason)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You don't spend the MP until the cast goes out in Rebirth (unless it's different in Hard Mode). In Remake it definitely ate the MP though

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SettingSun posted:

Cloud, using the extensive combat data you've generated I've developed a new type of summon materia! Based on an old legend of a king and his knights twelve, these 13 warriors will certainly give you the challenge you crave.
That and Death. "I watched you kill 11 billion Shinra soldiers, and this is what I came up with."

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

There were a couple moments in the final fight of the Beast Battleground where my cast would get interrupted and I'd still lose the MP. It was like the very last frame before the cast would actually go off

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

lines posted:

Look, Chadley's just working through some issues. I mean, he essentially created a copy of himself but more feminine to act as the spunky helper to Cloud and the party. Maybe they're too afraid to take that next logical step, or the support structures aren't there or what have you. It can really mess a person up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CHADLEY: Hello! I am a little awkward but I am constantly encouraging and friendly and absolutely shower you with equipment and items and my awkwardness is the result of being manipulated by the most evil man alive and I am working past it. Literally everything I do is in the service of a greater positive goal of which I am open about.

AUDIENCE: gently caress you!!!!