Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Killingyouguy! posted:

I mean you were not being for billions of years before you were being, so, contrast and compare

Not being after Being is different from Not Being before Being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nabokov thought differently

Vladimir Nabokov posted:

“The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness. Although the two are identical twins, man, as a rule, views the prenatal abyss with more calm than the one he is heading for (at some forty-five hundred heartbeats an hour). I know, however, of a young chronophobiac who experienced something like panic when looking for the first time at homemade movies that had been taken a few weeks before his birth. He saw a world that was practically unchanged-the same house, the same people- and then realized that he did not exist there at all and that nobody mourned his absence. He caught a glimpse of his mother waving from an upstairs window, and that unfamiliar gesture disturbed him, as if it were some mysterious farewell. But what particularly frightened him was the sight of a brand-new baby carriage standing there on the porch, with the smug, encroaching air of a coffin; even that was empty, as if, in the reverse course of events, his very bones had disintegrated.”

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 12, 2024

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

He can think as he likes, as can the young man, but to experience something is to be changed by it, even a little, so I wouldn't think that not being pre and post Being can be the same.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

dildo sample pack posted:

I really enjoyed watching this "All Dogs Don't go to Heaven" YouTube video today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzVPDjDYLT4&t=1s

But I also feel kind of bad about posting the video here because I'm afraid my desire to share this video may be rooted more in a desire to upset people and stick it to pet owners than in a desire to bring people closer to Christ.

Well yeah, it's a lovely gotcha video from an rear end in a top hat. Doctrinally, the concept isn't incorrect for most if not all Christian denominations. Most agree animals and plants are definitionally incapable of sin and do not have rational souls in the same sense humans do.

My own personal thought tends to lean towards anything capable of love being likely to have a soul in a similar sense to humans, and I have absolutely no doubt that some animals are capable of of love and loyalty in the same sense as humans.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

I just want to make the world better, but how are we supposed to do this when everything is so tiring.

I look to a couple of ideas when I feel that way:

Faith, hope, love and forgiveness.

“Nothing that is worth doing can be achieved in our lifetime; therefore we must be saved by hope.

Nothing which is true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; therefore we must be saved by faith.

Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore we must be saved by love.

No virtuous act is quite as virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as it is from our standpoint. Therefore we must be saved by the final form of love which is forgiveness.”

And to Courage, which is the “in-spite of”. The object of hope is : What is hoped for. What is hoped for is always absent when we hope. In spite of that absence, we have courage, if we work towards it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, except those class traitors in the Paw Patrol

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

dildo sample pack posted:

I really enjoyed watching this "All Dogs Don't go to Heaven" YouTube video today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzVPDjDYLT4&t=1s

But I also feel kind of bad about posting the video here because I'm afraid my desire to share this video may be rooted more in a desire to upset people and stick it to pet owners than in a desire to bring people closer to Christ.

I am intensely curious why you would even have the desire to "upset people and stick it to pet owners". Just...why?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

because playtime is over

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Nessus posted:

Catholic dogs go to heaven
Protestant dogs ask your pastor

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Azathoth posted:

because playtime is over
One of our less noble hours here on somethingawful dot com

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Hi two tests said I'm pregnant so I need to accept the fact right and not wonder about a third?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

soviet elsa posted:

Hi two tests said I'm pregnant so I need to accept the fact right and not wonder about a third?

Keep taking tests until you get the answer you want.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
And he will come again to judge the quick and the dead and also some dogs.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

edit:

This is not a depiction of the second coming by the way. It's unrelated.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

On the subject of challenging emotional experience, I can offer a few observations.

Firstly, we are encouraged to treat feelings as either good or bad feelings and see the "bad" feelings as a problem to be solved but in reality there are no "bad" or "negative" feelings but only feelings. Feelings are best dealt with in a simple way, by directly feeling them without analysis or an attempt to make them go away. What you resist persists.

Second, feelings come on a spectrum from the most heady ("I feel something is wrong", "I feel uncomfortable") to the most bodily ("I feel heat in my skin", "there's a dull ache in my stomach"). The best approach is to try to get as close to the body as possible and out of the head. If you have thoughts, let them come and go. Let thoughts be thoughts.

Third, if challenging feelings are being brought on by thoughts you could try taking an unwelcome thought and intoning it like a mantra and trying to locate where in the body the emotional response is occuring.

Finally getting into the habit of sinking your attention into the body is a great way of grounding yourself. Your body loves it when you focus attention on it. If you don't want to be in the body then try getting comfortable with being uncomfortable. If you feel squirmy that's OK.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Nessus posted:

Catholic dogs go to heaven
Protestant dogs ask your pastor

Sola fido

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Shoehorning Echkart Tolle into the dogposting thanks to the YouTube algorithm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE9sRXNb_uc

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Pointing out here that there is a limestone sarcophagus that Pharaoh Amenhotep III commissioned for his cat Ta-Miu ("The Cat" or "Little Meow" depending on who you ask) that shows her receiving offerings of a duck, flowers, loaves of bread and jars of perfume. She was buried with her own cat-headed shawbti. Inscriptions on the sarcophagus have Isis and Nephthys offering Their protection to Ta-Miu, that "the limbs of Ta-Miu, one true voice before the Great God, shall not be weary", and that "I myself am placed among the imperishable ones that are in the Sky, for I am Ta-Miu, the Triumphant.” These are all the sorts of things that show up in funerary inscriptions for humans.

May the name of Ta-Miu endure in the mouths of the living. May there be a soft pillow and a warm sunbeam for her, and cool clear water, and food of all kinds, both dry and moist. A matter a million times true.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I love looking at pet names from antiquity, because it's one of those things that shows how the more things change, the more they stay the same. Even back in the day, people were doing naming equivalents of calling their pets just blunt Dog/Cat, etc., kind of goofy funny names, trait names, and their equivalent of "This is my dog, William".

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

My copy of the Enneads just arrived. It's bigger than I thought it would be.

edit:

It begins with a brief biography of the translator. At first I was surprised but then it turns out that he had an interesting and colourful life as a wanabee freedom fighter for various causes althought he never actually ended up fighting anyone. He came to the conclusion that his destiny was to translate the Enneads into English. He had an inner battle whether to focus on his job as a journalist or to embark on translation.

"There is something high fantastical in the thought that if every day of my life I had a good hot piece of gossip, about some millionaire fool or some powerful businessman at play, to cable to New York, I should be well off and considered from New Year to Christmas; but if I put comely English about Plotinus and give him for the first time -- and perhaps for all time -- entire and clear and pleasantly readable to America and Australia and England, I shall certainly go about in old clothes and shrink from facing a post-office clerk. When I did very little and that better left wholly undone, I was a fatted bourgeois: work begins only when the 'dear little cheques' that paid me for an ugly idleness cease to flutter in."

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 14, 2024

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Religigoons, rate your posting on a Donnie Darko scale of Fear to Love.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Orthodox Lent starts next week, and it always starts with Forgiveness Sunday. Fr. Stephen Freeman just shared this nice note on Facebook:

Fr. Stephen Freeman posted:

Thinking about Forgiveness Vespers coming up this Sunday. I remember our first one - our mission was only about 3 weeks old. We were in a living room with a handful of people...not all of whom knew each other. I remember saying that day, "Forgiving each other today may seem odd since you don't know each other...but it'll begin to make sense as we offend each other in the coming year." That turned out to be true.

Forgive one another - be pre-emptive if necessary!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Keromaru5 posted:

Orthodox Lent starts next week, and it always starts with Forgiveness Sunday. Fr. Stephen Freeman just shared this nice note on Facebook:

I went to a forgiveness vespers last year and it was pretty neat, at the end everyone hugs each other and says sorry

quote:

After the dismissal at Vespers, the priest stands beside the analogion, or before the ambon, and the faithful come up one by one and venerate the icon, after which each makes a prostration before the priest, saying, "Forgive me, a sinner." The priest also makes a prostration before each, saying, "God forgives. Forgive me." The person responds, "God forgives," and receives a blessing from the priest. Meanwhile the choir sings quietly the irmoi of the Paschal Canon, or else the Paschal Stichera. After receiving the priest's blessing, the faithful also ask forgiveness of each other.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Prurient Squid posted:

I would put myself nearer to love but I would add a second axis

However, I am not sure what that axis would be since it isn't just flat ritual vs. mystical connection. This religion stuff is a pretty tough tattle. I got to take stock.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I don't understand the scale because I've never watched Donnie Darko. I love to post, but I hope my posts inspire fear in others

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Killingyouguy! posted:

I don't understand the scale because I've never watched Donnie Darko. I love to post, but I hope my posts inspire fear in others
Fear and trembling... at ur posting!!!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

I would put myself nearer to love but I would add a second axis

However, I am not sure what that axis would be since it isn't just flat ritual vs. mystical connection. This religion stuff is a pretty tough tattle. I got to take stock.
I would say the same for me, including adding a second axis. As for what mine would be, maybe doubt vs. hope. Sometimes posts can spread those as well.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
there needs to be a cringe axis

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Orbs posted:

I would say the same for me, including adding a second axis. As for what mine would be, maybe doubt vs. hope. Sometimes posts can spread those as well.
Perhaps something like Duty vs. Passion? I suppose looking at it Love vs. Fear just feel kind of irrelevant to my religious perspective. I am confident Shakyamuni and the bodhisattvas had engulfing loving-kindness that extends to me but I would not say that I feel as if Buddhism "loves me." It also does not provide me with fear, despite the presence of the Hells and so on; basically none of that poo poo is any worse than what I could have observed directly or picked up from ambient American Christianity.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

What is the opposite polarity of cringe? Healthy self worth?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Based

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

Perhaps something like Duty vs. Passion? I suppose looking at it Love vs. Fear just feel kind of irrelevant to my religious perspective. I am confident Shakyamuni and the bodhisattvas had engulfing loving-kindness that extends to me but I would not say that I feel as if Buddhism "loves me." It also does not provide me with fear, despite the presence of the Hells and so on; basically none of that poo poo is any worse than what I could have observed directly or picked up from ambient American Christianity.
I like Duty vs. Passion too, that works, and I can see how it would easily fit into religious frameworks different from mine.

Based vs. Cringe is also pretty good, lol

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Self/Community?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Orbs posted:

I like Duty vs. Passion too, that works, and I can see how it would easily fit into religious frameworks different from mine.

Based vs. Cringe is also pretty good, lol
I feel the words need tinkering somehow. Because I was thinking of Jewish practice. Many Jews are reasonably observant but it is out of their cultural expression more than deep-held belief in Hashem, while many other Jews are very passionate and energetic about their pursuit of learning and prayer. Then I thought of those Hasidic guys who were digging an illegal tunnel under the Chabad HQ in order to try to fulfill their interpretation of the Rebbe's last statements.

But then, dumbass arises in all of us, Ananda

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Prurient Squid posted:

Where is the anger slider.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just read up on the illicit synagogue tunnel. That was bizarre.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Pellisworth posted:

there needs to be a cringe axis

We're posting on a dead and/or gay comedy website forum in 2024. I assure you, we don't need a cringe axis to know we are there. :D

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
unironically choosing religion as an adult pins you to the far end of 'cringe' yeah

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

it should be a pyramid w the vertices as Fear, Love, Anger, and Obligation

imo

you can locate yrself (and others!!) inside that space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Speaking of reading how have The Enneads been going Squid?

e: I guess it's only been a day lmao. Time has felt weird this week, maybe DST is disorienting me

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 16, 2024