Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Dat 5th year option tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
I was wondering how often the first QB taken turns out to be the best QB in a given draft (so not counting UDFAs). going back to realignment, it looks like about half the time (11/22) you're getting the best* QB in a class, with a handful of years (2010, 2015, 2019, possibly 2021 pending the next two seasons) where even getting the best QB doesn't mean all that much for your franchise.

*I categorized 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2020 as pushes where QB1 is arguably the best but other guys have good cases

quote:

2002: QB1 - David Carr
Best QB - not him. I'd go with McGowan or Garrard
2003: QB1 - Carson Palmer
Best QB - Carson Palmer
2004: QB1 - Eli Manning
Best QB - probably Rivers but call it a push
2005: QB1 - Alex Smith
Best QB - Aaron Rodgers
2006: QB1 - Vince Young
Best QB - Jay Cutler
2007: QB1 - JaMarcus Russel
Best QB - uhhh? Troy Smith? Brady Quinn?? Jesus Christ
2008: QB1 - Matt Ryan
Best QB - push
2009: QB1 - Matt Stafford
Best QB - Matt Stafford
2010*: QB1 - Sam Bradford
Best QB - Sam Bradford lol
2011: QB1 - Cam Newton
Best QB - Cam Newton
2012: QB1 - Andrew Luck
Best QB - hard to argue he was clearly better than Russ. maybe a push
2013: QB1 - EJ Manuel
Best QB - Geno Smith
2014: QB1 - Blake Bortles
Best QB - clearly not him. I'd say Carr but I'd be sympathetic to an argument for Garoppolo if you're a Saints fan
2015*: QB1 - Jameis Winston
Best QB - Jameis Winston
2016: QB1 - Jared Goff
Best QB - Dak Prescott
2017: QB1 - Mitch Trubisky
Best QB - Taysom Hill
2018: QB1 - Baker Mayfield
Best QB - not him. Allen or Jackson
2019*: QB1 - Kyler Murray
Best QB - Kyler Murray
2020: QB1 - Joe Burrow
Best QB - push/too early to call. I think Burrow's best has been better than Herbert's but we see it so rarely since he's always injured or playing hurt
2021•: QB1 - Trevor Lawrence
Best QB - Trevor Lawrence
2022: QB1 - Kenny Pickett
Best QB - Brock Purdy
2023: QB1 - Bryce Young
Best QB - CJ Stroud. it's early but I think it's obvious it's not Bryce

so out of 22 drafts, 8 QB1s went on to be the best in their class who were franchise-changing players - a bit better than 36% - but if they aren't at least in the discussion for best in class, the absolute ceiling is Alex Smith

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Did you forget Mahomes on purpose or

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
No, I think k Taysom Hill was the best QB drafted in 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I forgot EJ Manuel was a first rounder lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I prefer looking at QB's taken 1:1.

Because there are so few times where a QB was a 1:1 player in the draft, that they didn't look at least decent, even if they aren't

https://twitter.com/DaveKluge/status/1747397129138479457

https://twitter.com/DaveKluge/status/1747397134242939276

I don't think it's implausible that Caleb isn't the best QB in the draft, but like it is very rare that a QB is 1:1 and outright bad. The breakpoints are obviously arbitrary, but I'm not particularly worried about Caleb.

Even like an average pretty decent QB would be the best QB I've ever seen in a bears uniform.

https://twitter.com/DaveKluge/status/1747397144204472367

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like how that treats drafting a QB as if explaining it to a gambling addict

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like how that treats drafting a QB as if explaining it to a gambling addict

Not an inaccurate way of describing it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

herbert's better than burrow even if you don't count injury stuff against joe but there is room for burrow and some of his magical moments to incorrectly have the public opinion by the time their careers are over. or sit out the next 2 years and retire

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Dexo posted:

I prefer looking at QB's taken 1:1.

well I wasn't trying to look at how well QB1s play in particular, just if they're the best vs the field overall. even if they aren't taken 1:1 the odds of them being very good franchise players are still so much better than any particular subsequently drafted QB#. a bunch of non-QB1 first round QBs in the drafts I looked at turn out very well for their franchises, but if you do the same exercise for QB2 just looking for sustained league-average play you don't even get to a 50% hit rate

Cavauro posted:

herbert's better than burrow even if you don't count injury stuff against joe but there is room for burrow and some of his magical moments to incorrectly have the public opinion by the time their careers are over. or sit out the next 2 years and retire

I dunno man I think that magic stuff is enough to put you over the top, it's why I can't argue against Eli being the best QB in 2004

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chiefs gonna take Worthy and speed is back on the menu boys

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

indigi posted:

well I wasn't trying to look at how well QB1s play in particular, just if they're the best vs the field overall. even if they aren't taken 1:1 the odds of them being very good franchise players are still so much better than any particular subsequently drafted QB#. a bunch of non-QB1 first round QBs in the drafts I looked at turn out very well for their franchises, but if you do the same exercise for QB2 just looking for sustained league-average play you don't even get to a 50% hit rate

I dunno man I think that magic stuff is enough to put you over the top, it's why I can't argue against Eli being the best QB in 2004

fair brother.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Intruder posted:

banking on next year's pick being top 40 maybe? but yeah agreed

Yeah. If the straight numbers make the trade close enough to even, but then you factor in that the pick is of a team starting Sam Darnold at QB, I’d consider putting a finger on the scale for that

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Yeah. If the straight numbers make the trade close enough to even, but then you factor in that the pick is of a team starting Sam Darnold at QB, I’d consider putting a finger on the scale for that

They’re presumably making the pick to be in a position to trade up to take a QB so that they aren’t starting Sam Darnold next year.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

All for the Vikings trading up and 4 QBs going in the top 10. That would own.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
QBs should definitely go 1, 2, 3, and 4

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

a neat cape posted:

QBs should definitely go 1, 2, 3, and 4

This feels almost 50/50 happening now. Depends on the cards. Hard to pass up any of the top 3 WR and WR is a total.need for them

All I know that whoever is going to get odunze is getting the best WR. Dude can do it all. I'm so hyped to see him in the NFL and herbs throwing to him would be choice

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
QBs are far, far more important than anything else, and I like JJ and he helped get us a natty, but if he is taken at the No. 4 pick, then lol lmao

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

JJ to the Vikings sounds plausible. I doubt the Cardinals will pass up Marvin Harrison Jr

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

EmbryoSteve posted:

This feels almost 50/50 happening now. Depends on the cards. Hard to pass up any of the top 3 WR and WR is a total.need for them

All I know that whoever is going to get odunze is getting the best WR. Dude can do it all. I'm so hyped to see him in the NFL and herbs throwing to him would be choice

Without Keenan, I think I actually prefer Odunze over Nabers.

Provided Harrison is gone

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'd replace Kyler Murray with any QB in this draft

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Id take Caleb and Maye but not Jayden or JJ

For anything except contract related things if I had to.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'd take Michael Pratt and Bo Nix over Kyler

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I think that is insane but God speed.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Doltos posted:

I'd take Michael Pratt and Bo Nix over Kyler

Your assessment of goons making awful GMs has never been more true.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Spent the last 2 years injured and can't make a throw beyond 5 yards ya I'd trade with all of you as a GM

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I'd just draft the largest men. All offensive line and nose tackles

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Sweat #1 overall

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
So Vikings might trade up again for a QB, Chargers now need a receiver, Giants are rumored to have QB interest. How far is Brock falling?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Calidus posted:

So Vikings might trade up again for a QB, Chargers now need a receiver, Giants are rumored to have QB interest. How far is Brock falling?

I'm not sure might is even a question at this point.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Bowers is gonna go to the Jets now that they don't need a T

or he's gonna fall in Cincy's lap

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Is Jerry Rice’s kid any good? Worth a 3rd rounder?

xbilkis posted:

Bowers is gonna go to the Jets now that they don't need a T

or he's gonna fall in Cincy's lap

They still need an OT tbh.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Yeah, counting on two 33 year old Tackles to stay healthy all year probably isn't the best bet.

https://twitter.com/TampaBayTre/status/1768808641207935101?t=epp9OknuZ_8978SrhhhQuw&s=19

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

Is Jerry Rice’s kid any good? Worth a 3rd rounder?

He's a great route runner and twitchy during it so DBs have trouble bump and running with him. He's also pretty big and has a good catch radius. His big problem is he's slow as gently caress and can't beat coverage that plays off of him.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I'd just draft the largest men. All offensive line and nose tackles

You have my axe

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Doltos posted:

I'd replace Kyler Murray with any QB in this draft

Let me have new Larry god dammit I want the generational WR for Murray to chronically overthrow on the sidelines

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They’re presumably making the pick to be in a position to trade up to take a QB so that they aren’t starting Sam Darnold next year.

Even considering that, whatever QB4 ends up being is likely to take some time getting his feet under him and the Texans have a good chance of getting a high 2nd rounder. Especially since the NFC North is looking pretty good outside of the Vikings.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, counting on two 33 year old Tackles to stay healthy all year probably isn't the best bet.

https://twitter.com/TampaBayTre/status/1768808641207935101?t=epp9OknuZ_8978SrhhhQuw&s=19

I've listened to this dude's podcast for a bit but never bothered to learn what he looks like. "Frozen deer in the headlights robot" is an interesting twitter pic choice :v:

And yeah putting as much OL talent as you can find in front of Rodgers seems prudent

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
He's pretty cool. He was part of the Bucs beat Pewter Report before moving on to the draft network and now PFF. I don't think he ever anticipated getting to that level but he earned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gully Foyle posted:

Even considering that, whatever QB4 ends up being is likely to take some time getting his feet under him and the Texans have a good chance of getting a high 2nd rounder. Especially since the NFC North is looking pretty good outside of the Vikings.

Minnesota put together a pretty good game plan for the very limited guys they had under center after Kirk went down and they just picked up a pretty great runner to lean on. I really wouldn't be surprised to see Minn have a day one starter tbh.