Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The fact that I don't see this vitriol about chadley anywhere else makes me think it;'s some kind of goonbrain thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

The fact that I don't see this vitriol about chadley anywhere else makes me think it;'s some kind of goonbrain thing

Nah, I've seen articles about it. Also a lot of people who seem to think Mai is his girlfriend (???) which I assume is born from people who tragically never learned the word 'sister'

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Chadley is good. If you all were nicer to him he would probably share some of the many orange slices he has packed in that giant backpack of his.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chadley and MAI are a pretty funny double act, I like them

they want shady
May 11, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

CHADLEY: Hello! I am a little awkward but I am constantly encouraging and friendly and absolutely shower you with equipment and items and my awkwardness is the result of being manipulated by the most evil man alive and I am working past it. Literally everything I do is in the service of a greater positive goal of which I am open about. Cloud!

AUDIENCE: gently caress you!!!!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The part where Chadley mutes Mai was very strange even though it was supposed to be comical.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Don't actually hate Chadley, I think he and MAI are funnier more often than not (the awkward silence after the third step of the first protorelic was one of the funniest moments in the game to me). They're just tailor-made to live in your brain in a way that most other characters aren't since they're so involved with all the open world stuff.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ImpAtom posted:

CHADLEY: Hello! I am a little awkward but I am constantly encouraging and friendly and absolutely shower you with equipment and items and my awkwardness is the result of being manipulated by the most evil man alive and I am working past it. Literally everything I do is in the service of a greater positive goal of which I am open about.

AUDIENCE: gently caress you!!!!

yes thats a very reasonable explanations for why hes so annoying but have you considered that they could have just wrote a different character with a different backstory? one that wasnt annoying?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bland posted:

yes thats a very reasonable explanations for why hes so annoying but have you considered that they could have just wrote a different character with a different backstory? one that wasnt annoying?

I guess to me "A giant dumb dork who used to work for Shinra and is trying to do good despite being a giant dumb dork" describes like 3/4ths of the cast so it doesn't really feel out of place to me.

I will go so far as to say Chadley is less of a dork than Vincent is. (It's very close but so far Chadley hasn't been the most cucked man to ever live so hey, he's got that going for him.)

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I don't find Chadley that bad personally. I think the only time I was shouting 'Shut the gently caress up Chadley', was when I was popping in and out of menus trying to figure out a materia combination to kill the Corel Intel: Level 2 simulator, and I hadn't talked to him since like halfway through cosmo canyon. So when I exited his menu, he'd give me a queued up line regarding world intel completion that I couldn't skip past.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The dislike of Chadley is very easy to understand: he is annoying and has no notability beyond being annoying. He is in your ear all the time but never says anything interesting - "Cloud! Thanks for walking to that map marker! Using the data you've gathered, I've created another marker for you to walk to!". He also never really does anything other than give you homework and nag you about it. His sole point of characterisation outside a very brief scene in the Nibel region is that he hates on MAI, who he built (and actually does tell you interesting things (but in a (deliberately?) very annoying way)) a lot. He is the face of all the parts of the game that people find the least interesting but spends by volume (figurative and literal) more time talking to you than many of the actual main characters. I would consider being more sympathetic to him but there is no character in there to sympathise with. He is just an abstract representation of all the obligatory parts of video games.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only interaction that kinda annoyed me is when he calls you up to say "I extracted data" or whatever and it's like, yes I know, there was a bunch of text on the screen telling me. I don't need verbal confirmation game. Thanks.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, that was a little annoying, if they really wanted to use those voicelines to let you know, they didn't need to use a cutscene for it. Just have the voiceline play in the background.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ok you guys weren’t kidding about (ch12 coliseum boss) Rufus being bullshit. I hate 1v1 to begin with and he has such a small window to counter, and immune to sword beams when I’m dodging. And he random teleports to me when I’m spamming said beams and counters me

Wtf

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ok you guys weren’t kidding about (ch12 coliseum boss) Rufus being bullshit. I hate 1v1 to begin with and he has such a small window to counter, and immune to sword beams when I’m dodging. And he random teleports to me when I’m spamming said beams and counters me

Wtf

If by guys you mean "specifically Fedule". That's another fight where you play patient - it's pretty much exactly like the battle in Remake but he has some new moves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

The dislike of Chadley is very easy to understand: he is annoying and has no notability beyond being annoying. He is in your ear all the time but never says anything interesting - "Cloud! Thanks for walking to that map marker! Using the data you've gathered, I've created another marker for you to walk to!". He also never really does anything other than give you homework and nag you about it. His sole point of characterisation outside a very brief scene in the Nibel region is that he hates on MAI, who he built (and actually does tell you interesting things (but in a (deliberately?) very annoying way)) a lot. He is the face of all the parts of the game that people find the least interesting but spends by volume (figurative and literal) more time talking to you than many of the actual main characters. I would consider being more sympathetic to him but there is no character in there to sympathise with. He is just an abstract representation of all the obligatory parts of video games.

The dude has a fair bit of characterization, I think you're being a bit disingenuous there. You find him in all sorts of places doing goofy poo poo like imitating the Costa Del Sol dancers, he discusses his feelings about different areas, he gets excited like a total dork over Alexander because Alexander is a giant robot, and his end goal is that he loves humanity and the planet so much that he wants to build a record that could be sent into space in the event Sephiroth survives so there's some history of the people and culture of the planet.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Blockhouse posted:

If by guys you mean "specifically Fedule". That's another fight where you play patient - it's pretty much exactly like the battle in Remake but he has some new moves.

I didn’t notice it was one person but still. I guess my favorite thing is catching him reloading, he’s pressured, I focused thrust and he counters THAT

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

berenzen posted:

Gongaga was definitely the low point of the game, where it felt like they were padding it out. Probably mostly had to do with how poorly navigating around the jungle was, because looking at the map, it's a pretty linear zone in terms of doing all the world intel stuff.

I actually had a pretty easy time navigating Gongaga once I got a decent feel for how it's laid out. I think I was only truly stuck one time, when trying to get to one of the towers (which ended up being pretty simple, but for some reason I just couldn't find the right place to go).

My general approach is to look closely at the map for anything resembling a path leading towards an area I haven't been. There aren't actually many (if any?) places in Gongaga only accessible via a long mushroom jump; most are small little leaps. The long jumps are usually just short-cuts of some kind.

Son of Rodney posted:

Odin is a hilarious fight, I was incredulous and the, uh, zen attack wiping me a minute in the first time, on lowest difficulty.

Then I died a few times remembering the posts itt saying "dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge" and still loving it up until I read a guide saying "the secret is to keep him interested. No really, make the fight entertaining to him" and then I promptly walloped him by just going full tilt.

What a fun fight, the guy is a beast but you can really go hog wild since there's no real trick except for getting gud.

Yeah, you basically want to hit him with a bunch of ATB attacks. Barrett is good for this because of how quickly he builds ATB + being able to attack from range.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I am getting real tired of having to explain that I do not think the Rufus fight is bullshit, I think it is incredible, but I hate how it is positioned in the game in a manner that is precision engineered to draw out the most negativity from players toward this incredible fight.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
How do I get the slimy marlboro tendril? I booted chapter 13, fast travelled to Gongaga and beat him, but I only got a regular tendril. Even when I scan him, it says he doesn't have a slimy one

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Spermando posted:

How do I get the slimy marlboro tendril? I booted chapter 13, fast travelled to Gongaga and beat him, but I only got a regular tendril. Even when I scan him, it says he doesn't have a slimy one

I don't know how you're supposed to know this but it only drops in Hard Mode

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

I don't know how you're supposed to know this but it only drops in Hard Mode

If you check the crafting menu and highlight the ingredient it tells you it drops only from Hard.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I didn't specify, but I booted the chapter in hard mode and no dice.

Edit: nevermind. It worked the second time

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I didn’t notice it was one person but still. I guess my favorite thing is catching him reloading, he’s pressured, I focused thrust and he counters THAT

Just spam normal attacks during his opening. If you let up at all, the window closes.

Or better yet: catch him with a Braver to instantly stagger him.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ImpAtom posted:

The dude has a fair bit of characterization, I think you're being a bit disingenuous there. You find him in all sorts of places doing goofy poo poo like imitating the Costa Del Sol dancers, he discusses his feelings about different areas, he gets excited like a total dork over Alexander because Alexander is a giant robot, and his end goal is that he loves humanity and the planet so much that he wants to build a record that could be sent into space in the event Sephiroth survives so there's some history of the people and culture of the planet.

This is, I guess, something. They do find ways to integrate him into contexts in ways which are demonstrative.

It's just. Nothing ever comes of it. I see the theory at work but, they never bring any of it together. He's around, doing all this stuff, but it's all just a thing his character model is doing while you access his menus, he's doing things but he never does anything, outside of the Queen's Blood tourney and a handful of Protorelic cutscenes nobody other than Cloud acknowledges his existence, he rattles off facts about places from which I guess we're supposed to infer a deep interest but he never once, before the very end, addresses the totality of it, but more than any of that, more than any way in which the details that we do get about him might not be sufficient, I just mean to say that what people respond to so negatively is how transparently he is providing a paper thin justification for the existence of the least interesting parts of the game. He himself is kind of whatever in all regards except tone; but every time he appears, he heralds tedium. And after all that, the last reveal is just... I hate it because I can feel the game trying to fool me into thinking I enjoyed all that tedium, look at all the memories, now preserved forever, it was the journey that mattered, and more than ever before, when I tell him to shut the gently caress up I am really talking to the writers. Dislike of Chadley is an expression of dislike of the cheap artifice of video games.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Just spam normal attacks during his opening. If you let up at all, the window closes.

Or better yet: catch him with a Braver to instantly stagger him.

I maybe done that somehow. The old “complain about it on the internet and then instantly pass with no effort” happened here so whatever! I am now showing the ultimate party animal to not challenge me at chocobo racing as I stomp him thoroughly

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

His specialty is materia, makes sense.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Fedule posted:

This is, I guess, something. They do find ways to integrate him into contexts in ways which are demonstrative.

It's just. Nothing ever comes of it. I see the theory at work but, they never bring any of it together. He's around, doing all this stuff, but it's all just a thing his character model is doing while you access his menus, he's doing things but he never does anything, outside of the Queen's Blood tourney and a handful of Protorelic cutscenes nobody other than Cloud acknowledges his existence, he rattles off facts about places from which I guess we're supposed to infer a deep interest but he never once, before the very end, addresses the totality of it, but more than any of that, more than any way in which the details that we do get about him might not be sufficient, I just mean to say that what people respond to so negatively is how transparently he is providing a paper thin justification for the existence of the least interesting parts of the game. He himself is kind of whatever in all regards except tone; but every time he appears, he heralds tedium. And after all that, the last reveal is just... I hate it because I can feel the game trying to fool me into thinking I enjoyed all that tedium, look at all the memories, now preserved forever, it was the journey that mattered, and more than ever before, when I tell him to shut the gently caress up I am really talking to the writers. Dislike of Chadley is an expression of dislike of the cheap artifice of video games.

I don't understand why you play this game, you seem to find every element of it thoroughly unpleasant.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Fedule posted:

i dunno he seems fine

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

I guess I can't agree with this at all. Like, yes, Chadley is a questgiver, but a lot of the quests he gives you have extremely cool or good fights behind them, or reveal lore, or whatever. There's almost nothing he has you do that is just DO THIS THING without some sort of reward for it, even if the reward is just details about the weird-rear end environment and history of the world. The closest is maybe Chocobo Hot and Cold stuff and CH&C has genuinely been one of the most demanded minigames to return for a long time.

I donno. I genuinely like loredumps, so maybe that's me, but like I'll take "Mai explains how people used to ride elephants instead of chocobos while I fight an angry elephant" over "I fight an angry elephant for no reason" like happens so often in, say, FF16. I'm the kind of person who bought all 3 FF14 lorebooks though

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 15, 2024

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

gettin Madley about Chadley

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I don't mind Chadley except when I'm trying to blitz through the region intel and he repeatedly yanks me into a completely pointless cutscene to tell me that there's new simulator fights or whatever. Yes that's why I'm doing this, I get the gist!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Namnesor posted:

I don't understand why you play this game, you seem to find every element of it thoroughly unpleasant.

The combat is like crack, the character beats are delightful, the sidequests (specifically the green ! stuff, not the world intel) are also delightful, the soundtrack is also like crack. It is not in any way a contradiction in terms to be able to deeply criticise things while also enjoying them, especially in video games, which are extremely complex composites of elements which can be (and frequently are) very good and very bad all together at the same time.

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I can't agree with this at all. Like, yes, Chadley is a questgiver, but a lot of the quests he gives you have extremely cool or good fights behind them, or reveal lore, or whatever. There's almost nothing he has you do that is just DO THIS THING without some sort of reward for it, even if the reward is just details about the weird-rear end environment and history of the world. The closest is maybe Chocobo Hot and Cold stuff and CH&C has genuinely been one of the most demanded minigames to return for a long time.

I donno. I genuinely like loredumps, so maybe that's me, but like I'll take "Mai explains how people used to ride elephants instead of chocobos while I fight an angry elephant" over "I fight an angry elephant for no reason" like happens so often in, say, FF16. I'm the kind of person who bought all 3 FF14 lorebooks though

MAI's lore is good and I have said as much before although it's weird that it's (deliberately) presented in such an annoying way. I agree that when the game does offer lore or when a sidequest is really just an excuse to hang out with some character beats and banging music it's excellent. Lord knows I was loving clapping and cheering during certain parts of the Protorelic chain and funnily enough it was always the bits that were the most removed from Chadley. You encounter lore as a result of dealing with his checklists but apart from MAI it's all very rote in that you go to whichever random lifespring and now you know about the local industry. Other than the Protorelics, which have their own huge issues, I hesitate to class Chadley's checklists as quests, given how good the capital Q Quests tend to be.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Without Chadley and MAI we would have never met Gilgamesh

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Any tips on UPA coliseum?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My literal only complaint re: Chadley in Rebirth is that I don't know why the game makes you stop, pull out the CHAD unit, and have him deliver two lines while a loop of his face plays most times you complete a world intel objective. Just have him speak over gameplay as you continue to walk around, like how MAI does for monster intel.

Otherwise I like him just fine in Rebirth, he's cool

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

The combat is like crack, the character beats are delightful, the sidequests (specifically the green ! stuff, not the world intel) are also delightful, the soundtrack is also like crack. It is not in any way a contradiction in terms to be able to deeply criticise things while also enjoying them, especially in video games, which are extremely complex composites of elements which can be (and frequently are) very good and very bad all together at the same time.

MAI's lore is good and I have said as much before although it's weird that it's (deliberately) presented in such an annoying way. I agree that when the game does offer lore or when a sidequest is really just an excuse to hang out with some character beats and banging music it's excellent. Lord knows I was loving clapping and cheering during certain parts of the Protorelic chain and funnily enough it was always the bits that were the most removed from Chadley. You encounter lore as a result of dealing with his checklists but apart from MAI it's all very rote in that you go to whichever random lifespring and now you know about the local industry. Other than the Protorelics, which have their own huge issues, I hesitate to class Chadley's checklists as quests, given how good the capital Q Quests tend to be.

I admit that I, personally at least, am not really receptive to the 'checklist' criticism, because it always feels off and arbitrary to me. Like I genuinely don't think content where you have cool battles, get lore and unlock new content is a checklist content in the same way as like "Collect 100 feathers" would be. To some degree it always ends up feeling like someone is saying "Any content that is not 100% unique and on the main story quest is just a checklist" and list... to some degree, I can say you're not wrong, but we've got multiple Final Fantasy games where the number 1 criticism is that there wasn't more of that stuff to do.

Like the Lifesprings for example. While you can find them on the map, they also have a good solid in-world marker where you'll find a hooting owl nearby and can follow it to the spring, and even if you're not looking at the map that's something you'll discover while exploring and your reward is a bunch of crafting materials and either some lore or the location of a valuable artifact or hidden enemy. Same for the Summons where you find a glowing rock and it lets you know a cave is nearby, and your Chocobos will make noises and wark when you're near a digging spot. It all feels tied into the world in a way that isn't just Chadley Says So.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Like, to back up just a bit, we got into all this because the question of the moment is: why do (some? many? almost all? depending on who you ask) people dislike Chadley so much. And I'm like; this is why. It's because he annoys them, and, I conjecture, he is annoying because of these reasons, of context, presentation, and possibly even symbolism. This is why people who are annoyed at Chadley are annoyed, it's because of those reasons. If you don't see those things in the same light that I and (some? many? almost all? of) those people do, or just don't care about those aspects of video games, Chadley probably will not annoy you. That's all this is.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 15, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In Chapter 13, just noticed a yellow materia I appear to have missed earlier. Any idea what that is? I think I'm near the end of the gravity section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

In Chapter 13, just noticed a yellow materia I appear to have missed earlier. Any idea what that is? I think I'm near the end of the gravity section.

i believe it's just another chakra materia