Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah letting team mate reload from gunners pack would make it much more useful. Could blast down a bile titan fast together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah letting team mate reload from gunners pack would make it much more useful. Could blast down a bile titan fast together.

it made sense in HD1 when you could only be 1 screen away from a friend, now you can end up very separated during a fight in moments

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Warmachine posted:

The niches for this things job are well covered, and I'm frankly unclear what the benefit is beyond aesthetics.

*I proceed to hammer the aesthetics button like it owes me money*

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I don’t understand the point of the RR, it’s almost always faster to call in an EAT and shoot two tubes. Then you keep your backpack slot, you’re mobile the whole time, and you have two more tubes in 60 seconds.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I do think it should. Armor chipping is a real risk. :hai:

I'm really craving weapon and ammo customization. Let me give up the explosive effect of the autocannon to replace the rounds with solid AP shells like a fully automatic 30mm AMR.

i don't think anyone would take the explosive version if you could do this, how often do you actually care about the explosion outside of charger butts taking 9x as much damage from explosion type damage for whatever reason?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

space uncle posted:

I don’t understand the point of the RR, it’s almost always faster to call in an EAT and shoot two tubes. Then you keep your backpack slot, you’re mobile the whole time, and you have two more tubes in 60 seconds.

presumably for if you need to shoot more often than twice a minute

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i don't think anyone would take the explosive version if you could do this, how often do you actually care about the explosion outside of charger butts taking 9x as much damage from explosion type damage for whatever reason?

You're probably right. The game would need a more complex armor model to give AP its downside against lighter armored targets. An explosive shell should pierce thinner armor and explode inside for catastrophic damage, where an AP shell has enough energy to punch through thick armor but has to rely on kinetics for the kill because it can't carry any explosive filler.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

There was a low cooldown EAT-equivalent MG in the first game. A crazy 9-barrel machine gun that had a 300 round internal magazine. I hope it returns.

Re: “blue lasers”

This mostly looks exactly like the laser/plasma weapon pinging off heavy armor or thing it can’t hurt effect. I guess people haven’t seen that a lot? Shoot a laser cannon/scythe at a charger’s back armor to see it a million times.

Some of the clips are weird but also this game has some real weird bugs.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJnXFNEc-dg

Some testing on the boosters. As I figured, Stamina Enhancement is the GOAT

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

The teammate needs to equip the backpack that comes down with it, not you. Good luck getting someone to do that then follow you around to reload every time you need one, I wouldn't even try it with my friends I use voice with while playing, they'll inevitably be 100m away through no fault of their own when I need to reload. We've done it when two of use are using auto cannons though. You really should be able to team reload from the other person's pack, it's right there!

Yeah that's a change I'd really, really like to see. As it is no one takes advantage of that feature for obvious reasons. If anyone could just walk up and help reload the RR or the other guns like that it would add a really cool wrinkle to gameplay and cause people to actually work together more.

JonBolds posted:

There was a low cooldown EAT-equivalent MG in the first game. A crazy 9-barrel machine gun that had a 300 round internal magazine. I hope it returns.

Re: “blue lasers”

This mostly looks exactly like the laser/plasma weapon pinging off heavy armor or thing it can’t hurt effect. I guess people haven’t seen that a lot? Shoot a laser cannon/scythe at a charger’s back armor to see it a million times.

Some of the clips are weird but also this game has some real weird bugs.

I see what you mean, but it seems to come from up in the sky, passes directly through a shipping container, it's thicker than the ricochet lasers, and it appears to be an instant kill which I don't think would be the case with a single laser ricochet (although maybe if it's to the head it could be). I've only ever seen lasers ricochet relatively short distances, and also they are quite thin and don't come in at that angle.

Also, all four players are in shot at the start and no one has or is shooting a laser cannon or any laser weapon from what I can tell.

Play fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 15, 2024

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Nvm, beaten.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

causticBeet posted:

I was very much in the “nah that’s just a riccochet” but this one seems more confusing https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers...nt=share_button (sorry for Reddit link)

Apple Craft posted:

Best screenshot I could get of it.

It's a ricochet, the blue light moves away from the player up into the sky.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Dilber posted:

I don't know if they've adjusted the laser guard dog because the last couple of nights has had it kill me more than the rest of the time I've ran it since the game launched.

Qubee posted:

The Laser Guard Dog is so rear end with how often it targets you.

It really needs to fly like 3 feet directly above your head, or just 3 feet higher in general instead of hovering around head-height which means it's always going to sweep you or the entire team pretty much any time it changes targets. Just wait for the inevitable rocket drone which will have as good of a chance to instagib you as it does to hit an enemy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

space uncle posted:

Team reload lets you kill a bunch of heavies quickly.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dilber posted:

I don't know if they've adjusted the laser guard dog because the last couple of nights has had it kill me more than the rest of the time I've ran it since the game launched.

It would not surprise me at all if they made it so guard drones can """headshot""" you in the ankles, while still being unable to land sweet critical damage against enemies.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Playing last night I think the stun grenades are really good. Especially with the +2 grenade armor. Having constant "STOP RIGHT THERE" button on demand that works even on titans??? Insane. Only thing I missed was using grenades on bug holes. Still they're definitely S tier.

You don't miss grenades vs regular enemies because keeping enemies in place on a large radius for like 5 seconds is enough time to deal with them conventionally.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Play posted:

I'm an EAT fanatic now so I mostly rely on the guard dog, eagle airstrike and my primary to deal with chaff.

I like the flamethrower, but it just feels too drat good to one hit kill chargers and seriously damage titans with each EAT. In comparison, flamethrower takes forever to roast a charger and feels all but useless against titans.

Yeah I'm an EAT convert now too. Being able to kill 2-3 Chargers(or 1 Bile Titan) every minute or so is almost OP, especially since more and more people are running Arc Throwers now.

Qubee posted:

The Laser Guard Dog is so rear end with how often it targets you.

It's a learning curve but just remember
-It always tries to fly on your right side
-You can crouch and in most cases it will shoot over you

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's cool that this game is getting Missingno type folklore that people are sharing like this blue light thing. Even if it's a ricochet or a bug (which I'm assuming it is) the way they've sprinkled new content in like what they did with the mechs means it's not impossible that they are teasing something so people share things they heard from someone or read on Reddit and it goes from there.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Jerkface posted:

Playing last night I think the stun grenades are really good. Especially with the +2 grenade armor. Having constant "STOP RIGHT THERE" button on demand that works even on titans??? Insane. Only thing I missed was using grenades on bug holes. Still they're definitely S tier.

You don't miss grenades vs regular enemies because keeping enemies in place on a large radius for like 5 seconds is enough time to deal with them conventionally.

I agree with all of this. I have survived more hunter gangbangs than normal lately due to these. I can panic drop them at my feet and make a getaway, or at least enough distance to zap them with the arc.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Here's another video of the blue beam shots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x84bLgxZIpU&t=466s

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

It's a ricochet, the blue light moves away from the player up into the sky.

Never seen a ricochet that looks like that at all. Could be wrong, not like I've seen every single thing the game has to offer but what kind of weapon would ricochet like that? Plus no one else on the team is shooting besides the guy in frame.

Do you mean the bot weapons are the ones ricocheting? Never seen a bot weapon ricochet off the ground but maybe I just don't pay enough attention.

All things the same I just want to believe, would be so dope if drip feeding some weird occurrences into games is the precursor to the Illuminate faction making themselves known.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Apple Craft posted:

Here's another video of the blue beam shots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x84bLgxZIpU&t=466s

If you go frame by frame you can see the spiky plant explode at the exact same time you see the ricochet.

Wrap it up conspiracailures, there's nothing out there.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Play posted:

Never seen a ricochet that looks like that at all.

Lasers cannons refracting off charger armor looks similar to that, though with more blue spikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwQwerDawLY&t=9s

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FunkyFjord posted:

I've only experienced a squad popping right on top of me once, as host, but it was annoying.

I experienced a tank spawning right on top of me, and I was pinned inside of it and couldn't move. Even when my teammates killed the tank I was still trapped inside the wreck, only thing I could do was grenade myself and respawn.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012

This is my new favorite word.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

causticBeet posted:

I was very much in the “nah that’s just a riccochet” but this one seems more confusing https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers...nt=share_button (sorry for Reddit link)

I looked at it frame by frame and I think the guy had an autocannon that ricocheted off something on the ground, because the blue "bolt" moves away from the impact and not towards it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

are the new guns fun? they don't have to be good, i just want them to be fun to use

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the sickle is just plain good fun. might be slightly op? its almost directly an upgraded liberator - same damage, higher ROF - except for the short delay.

plasma punisher is fun in that it is satisfying to land hits with

Nuebot posted:

The problem there is that there is literally no surprise anymore. The instant a strategem leaves the hand every enemy in the area knows we exist and is already calling reinforcements and there are no strategems that deploy fast enough to kill them. We were extracting just now and a squad of four bots rush the extraction, stop, and one pulls out a beacon, gets shot, another pulls out a beacon, gets shot and repeat until every one of them is dead only for one across the entire area to pull out a beacon. It feels like calling in reinforcements has become priority number one now.

they know you exist, but they can't magically track you or anything. you can do things like throw a 380mm at a base and run away and see them swarming like ants and calling reinforcements and everything and just kinda standing around confused because they can't find you.

one weird trick with eagle strafing run is that it hits targets far enough away that you can throw it short - doesn't seem to alert enemies immediately

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

omg chael crash posted:

are the new guns fun? they don't have to be good, i just want them to be fun to use

sickle rules, its the closest we have to a primary MG right now. the others seem fun but not particularly OP or notable right now.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Love the sickle because the short delay has saved countless civvies and teammates from my poor reflexive judgement

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Apparently the plasma shotgun can damage chargers and kill in 3-4 hits if you shoot it so it splashes the ground under their neck/belly, which I think makes it a first for primaries outside of just wasting ammo trying to shoot its rear end.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

skaianDestiny posted:

I looked at it frame by frame and I think the guy had an autocannon that ricocheted off something on the ground, because the blue "bolt" moves away from the impact and not towards it.
No one in that video has an Autocannon; I see 2 AMRs and a Laser Cannon.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

Absolutely not, you pay for that with uncontrollability and massive teamkill (and self kill) potential. It's good at wave clear with two of them, but doesn't have the damage to lock down a breach solo. It also can't deal with heavy targets in anything resembling a reasonable time scale.

A single Arc thrower can kill a Charger in about 6 seconds, that's as good as it gets even compared to calling in EATs, or even using RR if you count the reload after, and those options don't also work great against chaff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kQsEj-tysQ
From 8:53 till 8:59.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Give plasma punisher nest-closing capability, cowards

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

causticBeet posted:

Apparently the plasma shotgun can damage chargers and kill in 3-4 hits if you shoot it so it splashes the ground under their neck/belly, which I think makes it a first for primaries outside of just wasting ammo trying to shoot its rear end.

I've been trying that tactic out myself and I came to the conclusion that it's kind of impactical in practice. Turns out it's a lot harder to land 4 hits to the underbelly than you might expect. Even just the terrain being slightly uneven can make it extremely difficult.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Game is crashing a lot lately.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bland posted:

I've been trying that tactic out myself and I came to the conclusion that it's kind of impactical in practice. Turns out it's a lot harder to land 4 hits to the underbelly than you might expect. Even just the terrain being slightly uneven can make it extremely difficult.
The same is true wrt using grenade launcher on chargers. Aiming low can splash them in the right place, but it requires things to go just right and often it doesn't.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Captain Ironblood posted:

Arc thrower stat tracking is a little broken

If it worked it would likely be 200+% accuracy

Baby T. Love posted:

A single Arc thrower can kill a Charger in about 6 seconds, that's as good as it gets even compared to calling in EATs, or even using RR if you count the reload after, and those options don't also work great against chaff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kQsEj-tysQ
From 8:53 till 8:59.

I use the ARC a lot and I can say that speed is not typical at all. Normally it's about 16 shots and not the 7 in that video. I have had it happen that fast, but only a vanishingly small percentage of the time. Maybe one out of 20 or less. It will definitely kill them though, and the fun part is that by the time it does everything around it is absolutely dead, you don't really have to worry about adds because the arcing murders everything around it by the time it dies.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 15, 2024

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

How are you guys killing titans with eat or rr? I shoot em in the head twice and they dont seem to care. I can two shot them no problem with the mech

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Dandywalken posted:

Give plasma punisher nest-closing capability, cowards

This, I was really hoping the plasma punisher + stun grenade being on the same page was so you could use a primary instead of a grenade to close holes. I love the stun grenades but it hurts not being able to close bug holes outside of a support/stratagem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

How does the plasma launcher do vs bile or nursing spewers?