Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

stoopidmunkey posted:

When this image first showed, Votann was where *redacted* now is so I’m still hoping for more space dwarves

They said when Votann get their book it'll be with a lot of new model support to round out the army. A summer release for that would put it on top of the new AoS box and they seem to want avoid stacking like that to avoid strained production lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eej posted:

There's an ongoing tension between "I want the game to represent the fluff, I want hyper customizable badass Space Marines that can individually swap their loadout to handle whatever the galaxy has to throw at them" versus "I want the game to be balanced" and I'm not sure how GW is going to appease both sides over time. They are leaning super hard on the latter and the game is remarkably balanced at the tourney level though.

I've always kinda liked how Epic Armageddon handles space marines: sure they're uber elite and are practically unbreakable, but they're also tiny and don't have great support units so they mostly rely on mobility to crack whatever the weak point in the enemy is instead of getting into shooting matches with orks or whatever

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I would love to be able to bring a squad of Deathwatch or GK Terminators in any Imperium army like the olden days.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain unit variants to me? I took it to mean substantial equipment changes to a unit, such as a flamer versus a lasgun for a trooper but some of the variants in my Astra Militarum Combat Patrol box just look like aesthetic differences to me.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yup.

just making em look different.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

yup.

just making em look different.

But the manual also has an icon labelled "choice of parts" with 3 shields in a yellow circle and that to me seems like the aesthetic choices. Most of the units labelled with the variant icon (gear icon) are substantially different such as swapping out a lasgun for a melta, then a few like the one shown above don't seem to show any real equipment difference and would seem to only be aesthetic.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
GW wanted you to be able to build 20 Guardsmen without repeating any exact poses. When they're both lasgun-armed (and without any special equipment like the banner or vox) it's just for variety's sake.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, there was some room for variation in my Sisters unit recently, although it was mostly some head choices (helmet or no helmet) and I probably hosed up the glueing enough on some of their limbs to qualify as 'varied poses'.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Although I would say the guard poses end up being only three poses: guy charging forward, guy pointing gun, and guy walking with gun.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Lostconfused posted:

Although I would say the guard poses end up being only three poses: guy charging forward, guy pointing gun, and guy walking with gun.

I think that sums up the pose options for every troop of every faction tho

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
a jewelers saw and some filler or green stuff can fix that.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Super Waffle posted:

I think that sums up the pose options for every troop of every faction tho

Allarus Terminators only have one pose: trying to keep their legs apart after pooping their pants.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
An entire army of Termagants got exactly one pose if they were equipped the same way with how their arms had to glue to their weapons. Hormagaunts on the other hand were almost infinitely variable and I have some doing neat thing like quietly sniffing the air with their claws held up close.

Until their loving ankles snap.

Again.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The natural endpoint for hormagaunts is both claws on the ground because it’s the only way to reattach them once the hoof breaks, the rest of the pose be damned.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

As I enter the end stages of building this combat patrol box, I wanted to ask what the recommendation would be for which of the Marine boxes to obtain. The generic brand Space Marine was... underwhelming, although I suspect it might still be a money saver with the two champion units. However, I'm not sure how deeply committed the various boxes are to the specific fluff of those armies, and there are like four. Advice welcome on the best bargain/most flexible choice.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The old Dark Angels one with the Dreadnought is supposed to be the good one.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Any of y'all have any online stores you'd recommend? I'm scouring the internet looking for soul grinders in stock somewhere. trying to avoid ordering from GW.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Miniature Market is where I used to check for things, and it's still pretty good, but these days I just go to eBay for 40k stuff.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nessus posted:

As I enter the end stages of building this combat patrol box, I wanted to ask what the recommendation would be for which of the Marine boxes to obtain. The generic brand Space Marine was... underwhelming, although I suspect it might still be a money saver with the two champion units. However, I'm not sure how deeply committed the various boxes are to the specific fluff of those armies, and there are like four. Advice welcome on the best bargain/most flexible choice.

Look for 9th edition combat patrol boxes, the ones released since 10th cane out have been more expensive with a lower savings.

If you can find a Space Marine combat patrol from 9th its a pretty good deal. Gets you a tank, and some infiltration units to back up the 10th editions contents.

If I'm understanding you correctly and you already have the 10 edition combat patrol.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Look for 9th edition combat patrol boxes, the ones released since 10th cane out have been more expensive with a lower savings.

If you can find a Space Marine combat patrol from 9th its a pretty good deal. Gets you a tank, and some infiltration units to back up the 10th editions contents.

If I'm understanding you correctly and you already have the 10 edition combat patrol.
I have a sororitas box I'm getting near done with and I had always intended to get some marines too. I think it's the 10th ed Sororitas patrol.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If I ever break and decide to paint marines, maybe I'll get that Hersey starter box.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

If you have time to wait and want to collect a combat patrol's worth of unit from numerous armies I would consider giving the next Hachette partwork for 40k a spin. I did the 9th edition one and saved a ton of money, got a lot of great models, a nice little magazine and lore collection, and a lot of paints. Now, I already had the full range of GW paints, but having an extra black and brown and whatnot that I use a lot is helpful, and whatnot. You save a lot of money with the partworks not even including the paints and stuff. Definitely worth a look. And if you have a reasonable amount of free time they deliver on just about the right cadence for getting models done.

https://www.fauxhammer.com/news/warhammer-40000-combat-patrol-announcement/

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If you have time to wait and want to collect a combat patrol's worth of unit from numerous armies I would consider giving the next Hachette partwork for 40k a spin. I did the 9th edition one and saved a ton of money, got a lot of great models, a nice little magazine and lore collection, and a lot of paints. Now, I already had the full range of GW paints, but having an extra black and brown and whatnot that I use a lot is helpful, and whatnot. You save a lot of money with the partworks not even including the paints and stuff. Definitely worth a look. And if you have a reasonable amount of free time they deliver on just about the right cadence for getting models done.

https://www.fauxhammer.com/news/warhammer-40000-combat-patrol-announcement/
What the heck, lol, how does this work

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You subscribe and then you get stuff every week pretty much.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oh nice, about how much does it cost up front? They'll ship to the US?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Nessus posted:

What the heck, lol, how does this work
Talk to your local newsagent. Order some in. Get two full necron royal court sprues for less than one plasmancer goes on ebay.

Edit: timing is everything of course

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

No idea, can't seem to find any subscription cost mention. Also no idea if that trial run is UK specific or not, because if they follow with how Imperium works there is probably going to be a US specific one.

It seems like their source has removed the info they're referring to, so might want to wait for any official announcement.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I mean I'm down to get a hams mystery box if the price isn't usurious

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

No idea, can't seem to find any subscription cost mention. Also no idea if that trial run is UK specific or not, because if they follow with how Imperium works there is probably going to be a US specific one.

It seems like their source has removed the info they're referring to, so might want to wait for any official announcement.

Saw someone mention offhand that the latest partwork might have been canned.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I forgot how awful it is to try and read a Fauxhammer article, whew

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Eej posted:

I forgot how awful it is to try and read a Fauxhammer article, whew

Yeeeaaaah, that wasn't great.

Z the IVth posted:

Saw someone mention offhand that the latest partwork might have been canned.

Ah, that might explain it then.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

Oh nice, about how much does it cost up front? They'll ship to the US?

The current running Age of Sigmar partwork ships to the US, and the previous 40k partwork shipped to the US, I have/had a subscription to both. They come out for the states a few months after the European release usually. Typically you order a subscription, like a magazine, and then they send you 4 issues a month in one box (if you live in the UK you can just go down to the magazine store called a "Newsagent" and buy them weekly). The whole collection runs for about 18 months or so. The 40k one was going to be 80 parts, but got extended to 90 because it was popular. They have an option where you can spend like 10 bucks more a month and also get extra kits as well, but the value of those depends on how much you like the extra kits. The AoS ones were really good, I did not think the last 40k partwork ones were very good, but it is pretty subjective.

As for the likelihood of it going forward, it probably will. They typically do a small "trial" run of the partworks to make sure that there is interest in it and then a few months later do the whole run. They have been really succesfull for both Hachette and GW, so I would imagine this one will go forward.

Fauxhammer also has one of the worst sites, readability and navigation wise. And ads.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Huh, these things sound like convenience stores! But what's the price point, broadly? Like $50 a month or something?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If the cost is similar to Imperium it about $1,100 spread out over just under 2 years.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I saw there was some robot kitbash challenge on YouTube called Big Bot Bash amongst various minitube people, and although I didn't like any of the entries I've seen so far, it got me to thinking about making a Dark Mechanicum beast/character.

So I purchased $7 worth of additional tubes at Home Depot to reinforce a computer mouse I tore apart. Hopefully it'll work out.

I'm going to watch a few more videos though. Hopefully I can find something to appreciate amongst this creativity.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Talk about serendipity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voQjCjJZbxA

Skip to 10:40, dude shows a bunch of finished projects from others.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh is that what Vinny V is working on?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Lostconfused posted:

Oh is that what Vinny V is working on?

Not that I can tell.

Honestly I've never heard of a majority of these people listed at the end of the video I linked in my last comment. I only found this whole robot kitbash schtick because I was thinking back to Pete the Wargamers video where he built a Dark Mechanicum monster out of terrain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XLJKgJq4ck
...and I was wondering if anyone else bothered to kitbash some Dark Mechanicum stuff. That robot hashtag popped up in the related fields so I took a look.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Well "big" leaks feels like a bit of a misnomer since it's just potato pictures of pages from a printing factory.

The relevant one:

A bunch of pictures of print sheet from the unannounced-but-everyone-knows-its-coming-anyway 4th edition AOS rulebook.

Someone at GW is sending extremely furious emails to the company that does their printing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Got my hunting pack preorder in. No queue, surprisingly.