Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
i was perfeclty fine with the unspoken agreement of Target gets to hire less cashiers and i do my own manual labor of checking out in exchange for "forgetting" to scan 3 or 4 things in my cart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

The Nastier Nate posted:

i was perfeclty fine with the unspoken agreement of Target gets to hire less cashiers and i do my own manual labor of checking out in exchange for "forgetting" to scan 3 or 4 things in my cart

turns out capital wasn’t

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The only trick I pull is putting all of my alliums into one bag and ringing it up as yellow onions. Or various peppers as green bell peppers. And that's purely because it's stupid to micromanage the prices of ten different individual vegetables.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The only trick I pull is putting all of my alliums into one bag and ringing it up as yellow onions. Or various peppers as green bell peppers. And that's purely because it's stupid to micromanage the prices of ten different individual vegetables.

i actually feel like thats really risky, as if someone stopped to check your bags they can see you do not in fact have a dozen pounds of yellow onions. whereas if you forgot to scan something that was sitting at the bottom of your cart, theres some more plausible denialbilty.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

i actually feel like thats really risky, as if someone stopped to check your bags they can see you do not in fact have a dozen pounds of yellow onions. whereas if you forgot to scan something that was sitting at the bottom of your cart, theres some more plausible denialbilty.

if anyone were to ever ask me I'd say I have no idea what the hell I am doing and am high as gently caress

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Nastier Nate posted:

90s/early 00s protip: knowing the guy behind the till & also having a bottle deposit slip to hide the suspiciously low total from narc boomers behind you in line

we bought so much poo poo for 10% of the actual price

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

also working there yourself and putting stuff out back to pick up late at night

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

they're all in the little produce bags. you'd never be able to tell that it's one bell pepper and two jalapenos, or an onion, garlic, and shallot. and if they did confront me, oops, how did that happen??

I may even be paying more money this way. No idea. I'm not ringing all of those up individually.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i weigh each individual banana(bagged)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

hey i have a question wrt grocery stores. there is a cop at the entrance of my grocery store at all times. i feel like the stupid answer as to why this is because of large thefts but I worked in a grocery store and we got robbed all the time, and i don’t see why the presence of a gun would make that situation better since the guys holding us up usually had guns too.

why is the cop there then? is it to scare people? i was waiting for a woman to get out of the way so i could put my cart back and said cop was getting an apb about a mostly naked guy with two guns nearby and i feel like maybe he should be taking care of that rather than patrolling the grocery store.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

cash crab posted:

hey i have a question wrt grocery stores. there is a cop at the entrance of my grocery store at all times. i feel like the stupid answer as to why this is because of large thefts but I worked in a grocery store and we got robbed all the time, and i don’t see why the presence of a gun would make that situation better since the guys holding us up usually had guns too.

why is the cop there then? is it to scare people? i was waiting for a woman to get out of the way so i could put my cart back and said cop was getting an apb about a mostly naked guy with two guns nearby and i feel like maybe he should be taking care of that rather than patrolling the grocery store.

he's probably off duty double dipping ot

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

cash crab posted:

we got robbed all the time, and i don’t see why the presence of a gun would make that situation better since the guys holding us up usually had guns too.

I don't think you understand USA. More gun is more safe.
I think the cop gets an easy job and people who believe in cops feel safer, even if they're factually in more danger.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
cops will usually loiter around commercial areas from time to time. if you have a large enough mall in your jurisdiction you probably have at least 1 officer whose sole job is to patrol the mall.

particularly if there unloading large quantities of cash they'll call the cops and ask one to hang around during that time

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

BonHair posted:

I don't think you understand USA. More gun is more safe.
I think the cop gets an easy job and people who believe in cops feel safer, even if they're factually in more danger.

oh i am canadian but yeah, that checks out

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The mall around here likes to get a bunch of cops to hang out near the entrances during holiday rush season but I guess they wanted to be fancy about it because the cops are always on loving horses. Like this is in the middle of a pretty densely urban area, surrounded by parking lot and highway, what the gently caress is the horse gonna do

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Shame Boy posted:

The mall around here likes to get a bunch of cops to hang out near the entrances during holiday rush season but I guess they wanted to be fancy about it because the cops are always on loving horses. Like this is in the middle of a pretty densely urban area, surrounded by parking lot and highway, what the gently caress is the horse gonna do

count as an officer when it dies from fright if something does happen, allowing them to upgrade to the death penalty without any trouble at all.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
40% of self check out users…

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

blatman posted:

i weigh each individual banana(bagged)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

cash crab posted:

the cop is there either because the grocery store owner has the ear of the cop brass or someone at city hall, or because the cop is getting paid functionally directly by the grocery store. in this case and likely in your old store's case, it's probably the latter.

in a lot of places, cops can moonlight as private security in their uniform and badge with arrest powers and all that poo poo so long as the people hiring them pay the private detail rate. around here, it's about $90/hr. there's an old trope about security guards being a rent-a-cop, but you can literally rent a cop if you've got the money to do it. if you want 24-hour police protection, and a cop says yes to providing it, some mopes will stand at the end of your driveway here for about $2200 a day

since it's a cop in uniform at the entrance, that person is basically a visible deterrent for people thinking about stealing large or small amounts of poo poo. if the store has had problems with people filling up carts of laundry soap or baby formula or cheese or some other expensive thing, it might make financial sense to try and scare would-be thieves off with a guy with a gun earning $90/hr. it's all payroll at the end of the day, and if you make everyone do self checkout and you axe six cashiers shifts to pay for it, it's even money and you ingratiate yourself with the local protection racket and scare the poo poo out of your customers. or make them feel safe if they like cops being around for some stupid reason

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Eat This Glob posted:

the cop is there either because the grocery store owner has the ear of the cop brass or someone at city hall, or because the cop is getting paid functionally directly by the grocery store. in this case and likely in your old store's case, it's probably the latter.

in a lot of places, cops can moonlight as private security in their uniform and badge with arrest powers and all that poo poo so long as the people hiring them pay the private detail rate. around here, it's about $90/hr. there's an old trope about security guards being a rent-a-cop, but you can literally rent a cop if you've got the money to do it. if you want 24-hour police protection, and a cop says yes to providing it, some mopes will stand at the end of your driveway here for about $2200 a day

since it's a cop in uniform at the entrance, that person is basically a visible deterrent for people thinking about stealing large or small amounts of poo poo. if the store has had problems with people filling up carts of laundry soap or baby formula or cheese or some other expensive thing, it might make financial sense to try and scare would-be thieves off with a guy with a gun earning $90/hr. it's all payroll at the end of the day, and if you make everyone do self checkout and you axe six cashiers shifts to pay for it, it's even money and you ingratiate yourself with the local protection racket and scare the poo poo out of your customers. or make them feel safe if they like cops being around for some stupid reason

In Seattle, there's one company with basically a monopoly on off-duty piece of poo poo pig motherfucker moonlighting.

Definitely no corruption going on.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/times-watchdog/as-off-duty-police-reforms-languish-a-for-profit-force-rises/

Before the pandemic, Amazon was hiring pigs to block traffic for cars exciting their parking garage during rush hour, which was apparently completely loving legal.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

crack ping intensifies

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So that's a banana specifically for loving right

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

What is this? I seriously don't know what exactly I'm looking at.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mycomancy posted:

It's a banana individually wrapped in a plastic bag, labeled "Single and Available" for some reason

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Plastic extends shelf life, and ag folks say that's better somehow. Seems like they're just replacing one waste with another.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if bananas came with their own wrappers then we wouldnt have to extrude fossilized dinosour rear end to bag them in

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Shame Boy posted:

Makes it easier for cops to intimidate people on foot, chase them down and beat them,. and also for copsucking media to tar the victims of police violence as animal abusers if they fight back

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

blatman posted:

if bananas came with their own wrappers then we wouldnt have to extrude fossilized dinosour rear end to bag them in

ah, well! nevertheless

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

GotLag posted:

Makes it easier for cops to intimidate people on foot, chase them down and beat them,. and also for copsucking media to tar the victims of police violence as animal abusers if they fight back

They just want to reconnect with their past

As slave catchers

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

blatman posted:

Christian apologists DESTROYED by bagged banana

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mycomancy posted:

Shame Boy posted:

It's a banana individually wrapped in a plastic bag, labeled "Single and Available" for some reason

it's quite widespread apparently, although I've mostly seen pics of and witnessed in person the kind where it's like 2 bananas with Saran Wrap in a styrofoam tray of the kind they usually sell meat in.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/gHKUDYq.mp4

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

not even good pickles or jam or peanut butter, I'm sure if I knew poo poo about packing peanuts those would be garbage too

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

those aren’t packing peanuts they’re freedom cheetos

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Eat This Glob posted:

Can't figure out why cops are the highest paid public employees around here, with some beat cops making 2x what the mayor makes (Boston)

https://www.boston25news.com/news/local/2023-payroll-report-who-were-highest-paid-city-workers-boston-last-year/JU4D2BXPXNDGDHCPXOSZAZLGDA/

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Whooping Crabs posted:

Can't figure out why cops are the highest paid public employees around here, with some beat cops making 2x what the mayor makes (Boston)

https://www.boston25news.com/news/local/2023-payroll-report-who-were-highest-paid-city-workers-boston-last-year/JU4D2BXPXNDGDHCPXOSZAZLGDA/

Protection money is lucrative

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
if they let me carry around a gun for my job id probably ask for more money too

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

van holten sucks rear end oh snap is where it's at

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

if they let me carry around a gun for my job id probably ask for more money too

Yeah I'm sure it streamlines performance reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Whooping Crabs posted:

Cops are transforming into a new privileged warrior elite caste, and are entitled to extract a living from their caste inferiors