Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

No sacrificing featherless bipeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

Question
What is the advantage of sending human and melachim envoys over a purely melachim group?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

alpaca diseases posted:

No sacrificing featherless bipeds

Its the whole fence around the law thing.

Which, incidentally is why we can't allow goblins to profane the name of our God by mocking his worship.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Polgas posted:

Question
What is the advantage of sending human and melachim envoys over a purely melachim group?

Given how long this is taken we did not want to include dozens of options so we thought we should just stick to the ones which people had shown some support for. Why not a group of only Melachim?

If you wanted to you could ask, and Zakiel did not refuse to go make a deal with goblins, but you did not ask, he simply suggested he only come to speak with any non-mortal beings(and also make sure the humans were not mentally tampered with). So you ask him if he will meet with the goblins? To which he says, "These matters concern humans and human decisions and it is humans who will bear the brunt of the consequences, for good or ill. I think that this is a matter that they should handle."

You could push him to do it anyway? And among all the Melachim you can probably find one who would do it if you ask?

If you want to do so you could write it in.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 14, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I don't think we should get involved now, but if we do stick our dicks in the nest can we send a melachim to spy on some goblins for a few days? Specifically watching worship and altar/sacrifice shenanigans to see how sincere the goblins are. And also to see how the sacrifice reacts vs human activity.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I mean, our previous group of melachim saw the temple being used respectfully and properly, why would we need to double confirm that? unless you think that the time our last group of scouts was there was a play-act? Why do you doubt the sincerity of what we've had reported to us by scouts already?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zodiac5000 posted:

I mean, our previous group of melachim saw the temple being used respectfully and properly, why would we need to double confirm that? unless you think that the time our last group of scouts was there was a play-act? Why do you doubt the sincerity of what we've had reported to us by scouts already?

I mean just spend more time assessing this. Do we know if El is accepting the sacrifices or are they just ignored etc. are they following correct protocol? How is that affecting things. Just get a little.more data than 'they're doing sacrifices'.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
If EL is accepting sacrifice (magic fire burn the offering), then we would need to reassess this completely.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I think that sacrificing human-adjacent stuff to El may be to him the divine equivalent of the uncanny valley so he just shudders and tells Enkidel to cut that poo poo out it's gross.

Also, our society is amazingly HFY and anything that's not human or non-domesticated has to watch out or they get the angry pokey stick. We raised multiple generations of professional monster slayers and now there's goblins and monsters and all that business that way doing weird poo poo kinda sorta oppressing people maybe. I wonder what's going to happen? Didn't we have that one great grandkid that went and started an Ur-Marxist revolution? This is gonna go GREAT!

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
If the temple is operating fine, which the melachim confirmed, why wouldnt he be accepting sacrifices from it as normal? I assume everything on that altar is burning because if it wasn't the temple literally couldn't function. I guess I don't see what folks think may be happening that needs to be confirmed? It's a temple. It's running normally for a temple. Why wouldn't El be accepting offerings?

maybe I am misunderstanding what "El accepting offerings" means to people. To me that's just 'stuff is being burned on the altar'. Almost no offerings ever result in obvious supernatural signs, especially for a random rear end donut city. the times we see supernatural things are when we sacrifice supernatural things and have done feats of incredible bravery. That's not going to happen in this city from day to day operations.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 14, 2024

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Does fulfilling voluntary oaths on the altar please El? Oath checklist maybe?

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I'm assuming El is accepting the offerings because the temple remains completely undisturbed. The Goblins aren't touching it as a supernatural political move. The hope is that by not disturbing El worship they can be low on the hit squad list and live at the edge of El's domain but still under his protection from big supernatural attacks... Just like us.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I'm assuming El is accepting the offerings because the temple remains completely undisturbed. The Goblins aren't touching it as a supernatural political move. The hope is that by not disturbing El worship they can be low on the hit squad list and live at the edge of El's domain but still under his protection from big supernatural attacks... Just like us.

This is pretty close to my thoughts as well. Goblin guy sussed out that El is the supernatural Patron of Ur, and that he's remarkably hands off if you do certain specific things (like not messing with the temple). Bochica presumably has some level of capability to defend against the Bnaimokt, or can at least make a hard enough target to go somewhere else.

Speaking of that, man, the procurator is going to have some real rough performance reports over the next few jubilees if he's tasked with pacifying our neck of the woods. Between Kelashin, Bochica (if he lives, unlikely though) and us this area it got a lot harder. The Damu is an interesting big rock in the travel paths though, assuming the procurator hasn't made some deal to allow them passage through it.

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

All of us are here because the melachim are using all of their emergency plans and throwing them at the wall to see what sticks. Things are dire.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Well, yeah. Fare is also just a Mel, the Mel of War specifically, who is going full Apocalypse Now against the ocean. Everything is just "how can I slow the sea for a few more years?"

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Also worth noting that whatever is going on at that temple probably means jack-poo poo either way, because that's a Donut town through-and-through, whatever 'temple' was there to begin with is probably just a bunch of king's relatives getting cushy kickbacks and fleecing the public for half of their offerings anyway.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A Terrible Person posted:

Committing repeated acts of potential blasphemy to test where El's limits lie is super risk, but blatantly trying to rules-lawyer God is an ancient tradition. Maybe not in-game, per se, but there's precedent with the Orm and Goliath(?).

What if it's not strictly humanoids that are profane, but sufficiently sentient intelligent beings that aren't demons or outright monsters?

Has Uriah's crew ever come home and sacrificed a dolphin or a whale at any point?

We'd pop him in the loving nose for that, we very specifically remember from Athar that they're kind and gentle creatures as far as humans are concerned.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Goatse James Bond posted:

We'd pop him in the loving nose for that, we very specifically remember from Athar that they're kind and gentle creatures as far as humans are concerned.

You're absolutely right. Good catch. I didn't even think about that. Plus Enkidel would be present for every major sacrifice at the Temple coming from the Sea, so he'd be sure to let others know that whales aren't monsters.

Diogines posted:

Given how long this is taken we did not want to include dozens of options so we thought we should just stick to the ones which people had shown some support for. Why not a group of only Melachim?

If you wanted to you could ask, and Zakiel did not refuse to go make a deal with goblins, but you did not ask, he simply suggested he only come to speak with any non-mortal beings(and also make sure the humans were not mentally tampered with). So you ask him if he will meet with the goblins? To which he says, "These matters concern humans and human decisions and it is humans who will bear the brunt of the consequences, for good or ill. I think that this is a matter that they should handle."

You could push him to do it anyway? And among all the Melachim you can probably find one who would do it if you ask?

If you want to do so you could write it in.

Changing vote from K to M.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 15, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What if we dress a donut rear end in a top hat up as a dolphin and sac that instead?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting is closed. We will try to sneak in an update on Friday, if not, expect it on Saturday.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Diogines posted:

Voting is closed. We will try to sneak in an update on Friday, if not, expect it on Saturday.

I was just about to suggest that we send Eliahba (spelling?) as they will probably judge him by both sight and smell to be semi divine, Especially since he has an Angel riding on his shoulder pointing out how tiny Everything Else is compared to her extremely hunky husband.

Heck, if we played our cards right, we could have a hands off client kingdom! Suzerain time!

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Dolphins and whales are objectively good sacrifices that would have Els approval due to the hardship/difficulty/cost involved in obtaining them

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

If our religious training says dolphins and whales have importance in athar society then they actually get prioritized to be sacrificed to the altar because of how intertwined faith and religion is. Its like fancier idols that move around a lot.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah animals are totally good to sacrifice, we sacrifice cows all the time. Sacrificing something elusive and rare is probably bonus points, since it was difficult to accomplish.

This is why a regular-rear end human sacrificing a cow may be a huge deal for them as it could represent a significant portion of their wealth, but it's basically nothing for us, because we're rich as poo poo and a single cow is like an afterthought.

The main thing is, is the sacrifice an actual sacrifice for the person making it or not? Does making it mean they are giving up something very valuable to them or was it a struggle to obtain? That's what El wants.

And for the humanoid thing, it literally just is "Does the sacrifice generally resemble a human? Yes? Don't loving sacrifice it then because it may give people Bad Ideas about what is ok to sacrifice."

If the effort expended is significant, and it's a thing that El abhors, all the other rules aside from the resembles a human one can probably generally be ignored, sacrificing an incredibly monstrous and "unclean" demon to El is probably gonna go over well because He hates those things and wants them to be utterly obliterated. And even then, killing a powerful Bmokt and sacrificing their idols or a significant piece of equipment taken from them is ok to do, so even with humanoids there's possibly something to offer up.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 15, 2024

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You are going to resolve the issue of the goblins by ignoring them, for now and telling your people to not go fight them. At least for now. The sands of time begin to fall as time advanced. A great deal occurs in the months, years following the settling of your people at Armanum.

1. You...

A. Advance time for what is probably a few years until the situation with the food stabilizes or something Especially Interesting or dangerous happens, whichever comes first, we might fast forward to when Dor is ready to arrive. We'll make a few decisions related to a short time skip and then do it. Diog. Why is this lettered... Diog... WHY ARE THERE LETTERED OPTIONS DIOG?! You PROMISED! You PROMISED we would have a time skip after this! TIME SKIP! I DEMAND A TIME SKIP DIOG! DIOG!! DIOG!!!

Look! We said we would PROBABLY have a time skip after this, we never PROMISED and there are some other issues you MIGHT want to look at first! Mostly from envoys from other cities! If you WANT to politely ignore them you can but that might influence your relations with them and half of you are likely to kill the other half, and me, if we don't at least give you a chance to look into some other matters? So we'll put up the option.

Envoys from other cities have come, these are simply the ones which are probably more interesting. NPCKidel will deal with the ones which are not either more interesting or more useful, some just came to say hi, essentially.

If you want to time skip pick Option A and ONLY OPTION A. If you want to look into other options, pick as many as you want. If Option A has 50%+1 voters we will have a time skip. If not, we will look into the other options starting with the most popular and working our way down, there is no set cutoff yet. If A wins you will turn away all envoys as politely as you can and just say you are too busy.

B. "Kavodel", a city to the southwest renamed itself in your honor when you passed through and invited you to be their king. They were not a great settlement spot so you said no. This offer was met with a mix of disgusts and hilarity among your people, some find it insulting and absurd, others find it hilarious, as usual the conservatives are unhappy and think it is a sign you are getting too big for your britches that they did such a thing. Now an envoy comes from "Kavodel" inviting you to be their overlord and become your subjects. You want to meet with them.

C. An envoy from the Free People's Counsel of Bethabon, a city to the west has come to ask for your help and protection from the goblins to the north and the city of Jerashon from the south. Apparently YOU showed up at the city when your people marched through the region, lead an uprising of the slaves and farmers of the city who have massacred the aristocracy and they are now afraid Jerashon or the goblins may come for them, they want your aid but are not offering their fealty, though you might be able to negotiate for it?

D. The city of "Jerashon" to the west was in the past one city, if divided across opposite shores of the lake but with only one king, who was also the overlord of Bethabon. They broke into a civil war around the Jubilee when their old King died under "mysterious" circumstances which was probably a poisoning. South Jerashon offers you fealty if you help them win the war, North Jerashon offers you an alliance if you help them win (and also subjugate Bethabon again) and a group of wealthy land owners(but not the true aristocracy) from North Bethabon are secretly asking you to to intervene simply to stop the fighting and restore peace.

E. An envoy from Baytelel to the northeast comes in secret praising you as a hero and a man of justice, calling the king of Kelashin a tyrant and appeals to you in the name of Smattas to free them from tyranny, offering to become your subjects instead.

F. Ephairos to the east sends an envoy with essentially the same message as Option E, though they don't appeal to Smattas.

G. Moabon to the southeast asks for you to send "one of your sons" to be their king and hope you will protect from from Kelashin, who recently sacked the city but have yet to claim it, having pulled back its army to prepare for the Bnainokt on the Jubilee, if nothing is done Kelashin will likely claim it.

H. An envoy from the slavers and bandits in the ruins of Mardin to the south come and offer to pay you tribute and not trouble you and yours if you will spare them, you can probably also aim them at whoever you wish in secret if you wanted to make a deal?

I. While not a formal envoy from their king, a number of terrified people have come to you from Zarethan from the northeast, even one of their priests, with stories that their king is an absolute lunatic obsessed with ensuring his people live by El's law to protect them from Kelashin and the Bnainokt and their other foes, killing people for the perceived slightest infraction. Meet with the priest or one of the others who fled to learn more.

J. Hearing stories of many great deeds, valor and wisdom a messenger from Yeledtov to the east has come to meet not with you, but with Snarls and invite him for a formal state visit as an honored guest. You can also come if you want to as his +1? This option does not mean you are going or sending Snarls, it just means you will meet with their envoy.

K. A group of scholars and astrologers from Nephtarah to the northeast have sent an envoy to express their good will and are eager to exchange knowledge of your many discoveries and study and teach at the Laybury, inviting you to send intellectuals there as well. You have been told that Nephtarah are openly worshiping the Melachim. Meet with their envoy.

L. ...and finally a HUMAN envoy from Hebronos eventually shows up, after you already made your announcement concerning the goblins, to express the good will and friendship of the Great Bochica and discuss how together the Bnainokt may best be defeated, offering secret knowledge about the Bnainokt as part of a bargain to be struck.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 16, 2024

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
A

As interesting as L is - alongside the fact that a pretty large number of people sure are coming by to call the King of Kelashin a tyrant - none of these seem like things that we should really be splitting our attention to right now.

Unless the slavers and bandits from Mardin have a meaningful amount of food to tribute.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
In order of priority:
J
I
K
L
E

Y'all need to vote at least J if nothing else. C'mon, how could we refuse?!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Well, uh, hm.

okay fine, everything except A, but especially J. They're all interesting.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

A

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Diogines posted:

K. A group of scholars and astrologers from Nephtarah to the northeast have sent an envoy to express their good will and are eager to exchange knowledge of your many discoveries and study and teach at the Laybury, inviting you to send intellectuals there as well. You have been told that Nephtarah are openly worshiping the Melachim. Meet with their envoy.

So we've got a group here - Can we Ask safely/supernaturally intuit which Melachim they worship, if we have heard of the ones they worship, or if they have been marked, touched or influenced by a melachim in the recent past?

For synergy bonuses we have:
Law (Sacred laws of El are being violated - Melachim worship)
Melachim domain (even if its very fuzzy what that is I bet it still applies)
Order (if they openly worship the melachim it would be part of their rules regarding how men and societies should function)
potentially Contracts if any of them have made some plea or deal with a melachim, although that might count as not part of the physical world.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
L But only so we can learn what they're up to. Then TIMESKIP.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

DI. It sounds cheap for us to stop the violence here.
J. This is hilarious and I want to know more.
L. I want more information on Bochica, to better determine if they're an asset or enemy.
K. Yes, I'm interested in exploring a research agreement.
BC. I'd like to offer some protection, as I expect it'll cost us little.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
All of them except A. We can at least hear them out.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

CIJKL. For I, if priests are fleeing in terror something smite-worthy might be going on. For C, we need to see what’s going on with this fake Enkidel. J, K and L are all self-explanatory.

I actively don’t want to meet with H (gently caress slavers), D (sounds like random Donut drama), E or F (we can’t interfere with Kelashin’s cities until after the Jubilee), or G (too much risk of Kelashin loving with our food in retaliation for now). B would make a fine opportunity to grow our empire but I don’t think we want to do that now, so there’s not much to do (and I’m jonesing for a time skip a little as well).

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I couldn't imagine life without the beautiful sight of the green horde
LJKBD and then the rest in whatever order

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I
J
K
L

Dog king! Dog king! DOG KING!

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 15, 2024

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons

AJ_Impy posted:

All of them except A. We can at least hear them out.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Goatse James Bond posted:

okay fine, everything except A, but especially J. They're all interesting.
This. No point time skipping if we have to do these after time skip anyway.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
These guys are all chumps and it is unzepathan to entangle ourselves in their petty disputes. A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I like K or L