Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
The laughing scene is actually quite nuanced and I mean this very sincerely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I later got The Bouncer and realized games can be a let down

The first was Yoshi's Story, but that cemented it

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

FFX was the first PS2 game I played, and I remember the first time I saw the air turbulence effects on one of Valefor's attacks and I was like "no fuckin way, the future is now"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I thought FFX was the pinnacle of graphics at the time and I was right

It still looks really good. Excellent use of color

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

The opening zanarkand scene with the metal was loving great. 11yr old mosher me was well impressed. Had the biggest crush on Wakka lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
otherworld is lit

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The Kins posted:

a friend of mine is writing a book on the history of maxis and man, you don't know the half of it

you know a company is going through it when getting bought by ea and having them run riot on everything was the best possible outcome
two questions on this

1) what is the title of this book so i can keep an eye out for it
2) does your friend intend to do an audiobook version

i know bits and pieces of the maxis legend but i'd love to get a larger infodump. and also, audiobooks are generally the way i read nowadays, esp audible.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

*17 year old me seeing Lulu’s huge lovingly rendered tits for the first time* The future is now.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

*17 year old me seeing Lulu’s huge lovingly rendered tits for the first time* The future is now.

there's more where that came from, pablo

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i dont remember when i learned that wakka and bender from futurama share a voice actor but its impossible for me to unhear now

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
me seeing people complain about them shrinking tifa's boobs in final fantasy remake and going :dafuq: lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lobster shirt posted:

i dont remember when i learned that wakka and bender from futurama share a voice actor but its impossible for me to unhear now

i recognized john dimaggio's voice immediately and it actually threw me out of the game for a second lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

If you dodge 100 lightning bolts in any version of the game it counts across the board for all of them. This has been scientifically proven

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

its got issues but for basically the first game dub of that scale its extremely impressive

I'd also go to bat and say that Tidus and Yuna in English are overall better actors than Tidus and Yuna in Japanese. (Tidus' actor has gotten better, Yuna's... hasn't really.) The rest of the cast is more varied but neither of the leads do a great job.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZAmZSCYcKc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrAPjVxtjh0

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this video let to tens of thousands of digital sales of ffx hd

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

lobster shirt posted:

i just realized he's jake the dog too and that hosed me up tbh

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Endorph posted:

its got issues but for basically the first game dub of that scale its extremely impressive

100% this

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

In my head he looks like ECW's Sandman and I refuse to believe otherwise.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

more falafel please posted:

i just realized he's jake the dog too and that hosed me up tbh

He’s also Marcus Fenix.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Anima is hosed up and cool. Her overdrive was crazy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BWaw9dMZ4s

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Sourdough Sam posted:

hosed up autocorrect of anime going on here

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

News Radio bit where the owner goes to a seminar called The Future is Now except its ab sexy animes

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I later got The Bouncer and realized games can be a let down

The first was Yoshi's Story, but that cemented it

yoshi’s story is one of gamings biggest disappointments esp in the wake of yoshi’s island

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

If you dodge 100 lightning bolts in any version of the game it counts across the board for all of them. This has been scientifically proven

that's true... but you still need to hit 200

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
put it in the attic with the fat ps3 and buttheads super jumps

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Sourdough Sam posted:

Anima showing up in FF14 was amazing. Even copied Anima's origin. The father of a main villain was made into Anima, like how Seymour's mother became the fayth that summons Anima.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Violen posted:

that's true... but you still need to hit 200

Was it really 200 wtf? I was more of a twisted psycho than I remember

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I simply refused to dodge lightning bolts and never got Lulu’s ultimate weapon.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

Dick Bastardly posted:

I'm going to play both and I think I'm gonna start with FFX to settle unfinished business. Apologies for the triple post sometimes I do stupid things, well bye

ffx is a godlike choice. also make sure you play x-2

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The dark secret of lightning bolts is that Lulu is by a significant degree the mechanically worst character in the game so there's no reason to waste your time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Note Block posted:

The laughing scene is actually quite nuanced and I mean this very sincerely.

It's really funny that it used to get presented as an example of terrible voice acting when the very very fake laughter is the point

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The dark secret of lightning bolts is that Lulu is by a significant degree the mechanically worst character in the game so there's no reason to waste your time.

Yeah but she's my gf, so.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
they stopped doing pure turn based combat after ffx and x-2 bcos they realised it was the pinnacle of the final fantasy combat system

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

lmao I remember someone pointing out that Lulu's dress would weigh like 400lbs due to all the belts and that was the day I reckoned that real life is bullshit

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
x-2 opening is probably my most rewatched youtube video lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yeah but she's my gf, so.

I am sorry you were cuckolded by Wakka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen