Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Slavic language, poorly shot phone video, exploding infrastructure - its becoming as familiar and endearing as the opening to Family Matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

TheBuilder posted:

Slavic language, poorly shot phone video, exploding infrastructure - its becoming as familiar and endearing as the opening to Family Matters.

Family Blyaters

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Remember when this first stated happening, and some moron Kramered in here to scold us about how this is actually perfectly normal and it happens everywhere ALL THE TIME and your media just doesn't report it because nobody cares about 68342 factories malls and warehouses burning down in a year, and they wouldn't be reporting it now except they're trying to do a psyop about Russia.

Because every time another ammo dump goes up in flames or a factory or government bureaucracy mysteriously burns down, I remember and have a small lol.
There was a period when every single sex arse warehouse fire in Russia was lauded as a brilliant masterstroke by Ukrainian intelligence agencies. I guess people were desperate for better news than "all quiet on the Eastern front."

Fortunately the drone strike campaign against the Russian petroleum industry is real and militarily relevant.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

EorayMel posted:

I say we all go back to the good* old days of putting dudes in hot air balloons and have them throwing hand grenades at each other
Well, we've returned to the days of planes made of balsa wood and canvas with 10hp engines, we just removed the pilot with the awesome goggles and silk scarf and put in electronics and an internet connection to the pilot in a room somewhere away from the battle.

Although quad-rotor drones dropping grenades is already happening.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

Well, we've returned to the days of planes made of balsa wood and canvas with 10hp engines, we just removed the pilot with the awesome goggles and silk scarf and put in electronics and an internet connection to the pilot in a room somewhere away from the battle.

Although quad-rotor drones dropping grenades is already happening.

How do you know he's not wearing the goggles and scarf while sitting in that room, though?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Speaking of mirroring the development of aerial warfare in WW1 and onwards - would there be any point in putting a simple missile on a drone to give it some standoff range, or is that basically "hey I heard you like drones so I put a drone on your drone so you can drone while you drone"?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Computer viking posted:

Speaking of mirroring the development of aerial warfare in WW1 and onwards - would there be any point in putting a simple missile on a drone to give it some standoff range, or is that basically "hey I heard you like drones so I put a drone on your drone so you can drone while you drone"?

Bigger drones have been platforming small drones further forward than the small drones range would allow.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Computer viking posted:

suicide drones aren't expensive enough to want or need to do that. in some of these strikes they don't have the range to return anyway, so you're doubling the electronics, engine, etc cost for no reason. (and probably donating several parts to the enemy's war effort)

if you scale them up so they can carry multiple weapons and better EW and sensors, you've got a Predator/Bayraktar, and you've also made it more vulnerable to air defense. This isn't without value, but it doesn't suit Ukraine's needs at this time.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Computer viking posted:

Payload equipped drones aren't new and have been a major part of US military doctrine for like 40 years. What's new is the capability at cost point intersection.

These low cost drones effectively are missiles. Slow cheap crappy cruise missiles but quantity is a quality all of its own.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

FPV real time controlled cruise missile quadcopter is a technical or not?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Cthulu Carl posted:

How do you know he's not wearing the goggles and scarf while sitting in that room, though?

This is an excellent visual. He should have a fan pointed at him too so the scarf blows around.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

The junk collector posted:

Payload equipped drones aren't new and have been a major part of US military doctrine for like 40 years. What's new is the capability at cost point intersection.

These low cost drones effectively are missiles. Slow cheap crappy cruise missiles but quantity is a quality all of its own.

Seems like these drones are the exact quality you need for the purpose, blowing up pretty much whatever you want within a few kilometers using human-guided precision and a cheap shaped charge

The US would never use them because it's not sensor-fused fully-meshed signal-hardened AI-enhanced for 100x the cost and complexity

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:troll:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

love the number of laugh reacts on that

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Russia can have all the guzzoline they want if they

from Ukraine

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Victis posted:

Seems like these drones are the exact quality you need for the purpose, blowing up pretty much whatever you want within a few kilometers using human-guided precision and a cheap shaped charge

The US would never use them because it's not sensor-fused fully-meshed signal-hardened AI-enhanced for 100x the cost and complexity

This is v. specifically what JDAMs are for. Still :homebrew: compared to these drones, but zero risk to US soldiers and nearly unstoppable once dropped.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Let's see how that election is going:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1768598736408637883#m

Hmm…

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1768613371757187506#m

Oh dear…

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1768626994202227145#m

Russia really just needs to ban cigarettes at this point with all of these smoking accidents.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Knowing russia there is an equally large chance some are doing it because Ukraine is not dead enough...

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The_Franz posted:

Hmm…

Oh dear…

Russia really just needs to ban cigarettes at this point with all of these smoking accidents.
It gets better/worse!

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1768380360617029855
Monke Magic!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

So that's how monke managed to get 125% of the vote! :ironicat:

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

This is v. specifically what JDAMs are for. Still :homebrew: compared to these drones, but zero risk to US soldiers and nearly unstoppable once dropped.

Eh that’s like saying JDAMs replace NLAWs or whatever. Granted idk how often they’re used against moving targets, rather than something like a hellfire from an Apache

edit: doesn’t the US use those Switchblade loitering munitions? Not everything can be JDAMned

Victis fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 15, 2024

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Has much happened in Mariupol? Russia did a media stunk of rebuilding (badly) some houses ages back is about it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Do your high-level state officials and businessmen not fall out of windows on regular basis?!

I wish

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Can't wait to see this being pointed at for the next thousand years by whoever loses the USA presidential election this year.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tafferling posted:

Planes are cool

Indisputable.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don’t hold your breath but the House might finally do its loving job and pass the Ukraine aid bill.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/14/mike-johnson-israel-ukraine-aid-bill-00147108

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Not to be a killjoy but I doubt igor sushko in particular.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

god please help me posted:

Not to be a killjoy but I doubt igor sushko in particular.

That lad has been dubious since the start of the war.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

There are still a lot of Hildawgs in here.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

The_Franz posted:

Hmm…

Oh dear…

Burn it all down.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The_Franz posted:

Hmm…

Oh dear…

why go through all this poo poo. like i dont get why putin puts up the charade, no one believes it, even the chuds. like he wants to be magic tsar, just have his KGBpriest ordain him already. its not like the people will rise up. they are either perfectly fine with whatever backwards stupid alt history great game horseshit explanation putin throws out in his copeium follies or fine getting discount day passes to Loo-loo land as recompense for their son/father/brother getting blow apart in some drone ambush that is probably piloted by some 20 something who playes helldivers 2.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why go through all this poo poo. like i dont get why putin puts up the charade, no one believes it, even the chuds. like he wants to be magic tsar, just have his KGBpriest ordain him already. its not like the people will rise up. they are either perfectly fine with whatever backwards stupid horse great game explanation putin throws out in his copeium follies or fine getting discount day passes to Loo-loo land as recompense for their son/father/brother getting blow apart in some drone ambush that is probably piloted by some 20 something who playes helldivers 2.

The mere appearance of legitimate free democratic elections that show unanimous approval of Putin by the people is highly valued by Putin, instead of dropping all pretense and saying "I declare myself god emperor of Russia until I die." and having all challengers die in plane or window accidents. Or maybe get sent to a labor camp in Siberria if they are lucky.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Dapper_Swindler posted:

why go through all this poo poo. like i dont get why putin puts up the charade, no one believes it, even the chuds. like he wants to be magic tsar, just have his KGBpriest ordain him already. its not like the people will rise up. they are either perfectly fine with whatever backwards stupid alt history great game horseshit explanation putin throws out in his copeium follies or fine getting discount day passes to Loo-loo land as recompense for their son/father/brother getting blow apart in some drone ambush that is probably piloted by some 20 something who playes helldivers 2.

you have to give your supporters something tangible to point at, even if that thing is a complete farce, so their brains can keep dumping that sweet, sweet dopamine whenever they point at said thing to own their posting enemies

when the dopamine runs out they turn on you. refer to the life and times of lowtax for an example

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dictators have to be more neurotic than democratic leaders about legitimacy. therefore, they have lots more bling and weird legitimacy stuff that they need to do. you can literally tell dictators and democratic presidents apart visually, usually: cf. gadaffi with the medal-pile and all that. this was most extreme with kings, who obviously had the most bling of anyone in human history

legitimacy is intensely culture-specific. american presidents need to go to the iowa state fair and eat hot dogs. british and japanese prime ministers need to go kiss the monarch's rear end, but the monarch also needs to intensely and conspicuously do nothing. etc. you gotta proclaim your descent from dangun wanggeom by way of kim il-sung in north korea. for a thousand years there in catholic lands the pope had to be cool with you if you were a king. etc.

this election is not legitimate in and of itself, but it's a way to try to gain legitimacy by spending money. therefore, it's just basically a refined sorta bling

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 15, 2024

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tai posted:

Has much happened in Mariupol? Russia did a media stunk of rebuilding (badly) some houses ages back is about it.

haven't seen much except for occasional short surreptitious videos claiming a lot of the damage is still there

if Russia did actually pour in adequate reconstruction funds, how pissed would abkhazia and south ossetia be, it's been 15 years and they've barely seen any investments since they were brought out of the homonazi sphere

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

There are still a lot of Hildawgs in here.

Badge of courage, I tell ya hwat

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's so they appear legitimate and western companies.and countries can have relations with them and not commit marketing suicide.

It works, even today people are angry an brutal, genocidal dictatorial regime that tortured and killed tons of people every day and invaded random countries for no reason got put down behind the barn. And now iraq is one of the few decent countries in middle east.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If you give them credit for more intelligence than they deserve, the total blatantness of the manipulation is humiliating and a lot less funny if you're in the middle of it. It contributes to total control. "Look how loving dumb this is and here you are nodding along anyway"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Flyinglemur posted:

Badge of courage, I tell ya hwat

I wasn't in the first wave of lunacy but it makes me like the thread more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Someone got super pissed at me in particular for judging their spending habits. :lmao: