Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

:frogbon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Look, I said I'm not a mathemagician.

Whatever, they said 14k tickets/year, I dunno how many typically get tossed out (all of them if you cancel the program, it turns out) but surely at least a quarter go through? Maybe the courts hog the revenues from those additional fees and are the ones defunding the police.

Considering the court fees, it seems that county sheriff’s books are in the red over it, but the county as a whole is taking in more than the system costs to operate it.

So the sheriff is throwing a big ol’ tantrum to get yet more money, or cutting off the county’s nose to spite its face.

Mr. Sharps posted:

google says the sac police budget this 228 million! less than 1% of the budget for the program!

Google the correct agency and it’s even worse.

[quote]The Sacramento County sheriff said the department needs equipment, which he said included body-worn cameras, a mobile command bus and drones. The total appropriations to the Sheriff's Office in the 2023-2024 fiscal year are currently set at $695.3 million./quote]

Add in the Sacramento PD and the other incorporated cities in the county and cops are running cool billion dollars per year for a county with one point six million residents.

e: Also in the search results,

https://archive.ph/Wwr53 posted:

The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office signed up for a $14,000-a-year social media management platform in March, documents released through a Public Records Act request show.

The platform, Hootsuite, centralizes social profiles, facilitates scheduled posts and monitors trends; it also informs users about what posting times could lead to more likes, comments and reposts.

In its June budget proposal to the Board of Supervisors, the sheriff asked for $20,000 to pay for the service in the 2023-2024 fiscal year. The software, the law enforcement agency wrote, “would allow the Sheriff’s Office (SSO) to manage all social media accounts in one place.”

The contract between the county and Hootsuite, which was released to The Sacramento Bee, contains an option to renew the contract twice — each renewal would be for a one-year period.

Sgt. Amar Gandhi, spokesman for the Sheriff’s Office, said the department asked the Board of Supervisors for $20,000 in June to fund a $14,000 subscription they agreed to in March because $20,000 was the original quote.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 08:14 on Mar 15, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The urban costs of the Philippines’ car obsession

quote:

Ever since World War II, the Philippines’ major infrastructure developments have centered around one thing: automobiles. Paralleling the rise of car-centric infrastructure in the United States, the Philippines has made it a point to invest in constructing highways throughout the country, despite much of the population being unable to afford private vehicles and the small size of the local automobile industry.

Beyond their use, cars also serve as symbols of status and success, fueling the demand for urban planning centered around automobiles.

However, as cities adapt to this system, its drawbacks have become increasingly apparent, ranging from traffic-laden thoroughfares to environmental degradation. The typical knee-jerk reaction to these issues has been to build more lanes, but this is a stopgap measure at best. Thus, it becomes imperative to scrutinize the toll exacted by car-centricity and to question whether the convenience of the automotive era is genuinely worth the broader societal and environmental costs.

Clogged roads, clogged lungs

When cities are built around cars, they become inherently hostile to those who do not drive. AltMobilityPH is a non-governmental organization dedicated to promoting sustainable, human-centric transport solutions, and its director, Ira Cruz points out that as much as 88 percent of Metro Manila’s residents do not own cars, yet 50 to 60 percent of the city’s space is dedicated to roads. This makes it particularly difficult for children, the elderly, the poor, and people with disabilities to travel on their own.

Cruz suggests that less city space should be dedicated to cars to make them more livable. However, this seems counterproductive to policymakers, who rely on metrics such as Level of Service (LOS) to measure traffic efficiency. The LOS considers the speed and amount of vehicles traveling through a road, but it fails to consider the number of passengers inside the vehicles. Under this metric, a single person driving a car is equivalent to 10 people riding a jeepney, even though the latter contributes less to traffic congestion.

To top it off, Cruz also mentions that many government units impose the same road restrictions for cars on other modes of transportation. An example is the one-way street, which prevents vehicles from traveling in the opposite direction. Despite being more mobile and flexible than cars, bikes must follow this law under the guise of “safety.”

Another consequence of car-centric urban planning is the production of pollutants. Approximately 25 to 30 percent of the nation’s carbon emissions come from cars, as noted by Neil Lopez, a professor from the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Lopez added that water effluents such as spilled engine oil, coolants, and tire particles that contain harmful substances can flow into rivers and reach the ocean.

It is also a well-known fact that pollution from cars also affects people’s health. Citing one of his studies, Lopez analyzes the health-related costs of air pollution from vehicles. He states that a single car in Metro Manila costs the local health system P12.65 for every 100 kilometers it travels due to its emissions. Combined with the sheer number of cars driving around the Metro and the distances they cover, this figure becomes incredibly expensive.

Lopez believes that the Philippines is already experiencing the long-term and indirect effects of car-centric urban planning, notably the increased frequency and intensity of typhoons due to the greenhouse gases from cars contributing to global warming. Despite seeing these warning signs, the government continues to push forward car-centric infrastructure projects, the most egregious of which being the Pasig River Expressway, in pursuit of the elusive 30-minute drive to work.

Narrowing time and widening inequality

The emphasis on car-centric urban planning has also become an inadvertent thief of time—quite the contrary to what cars intended to provide. Daily commutes that should serve as mere transitions between spaces morph into prolonged battles against traffic. The problem has a cascading effect, resulting in lost hours that could have been dedicated to more meaningful pursuits—whether professional, personal, or communal.

Apart from stolen time, Cruz explains that people also worry about the logistics of actually getting from place to place, which includes finding parking space and mapping out possible public transportation routes. Cruz believes that “these things shouldn’t be getting in the way of us enjoying our life, and that cities should be successful in offering multiple types of transportation to its constituents.”

In a country already grappling with stark socioeconomic divides, cities that are made for cars deepen the chasm. As Lopez mentions, “It is very difficult, even for a middle-class Filipino, to buy a private car because it is expensive, not to mention increasing fuel prices.” Access to efficient transportation is still a privilege to many. While people with private vehicles can enjoy a smooth journey through the urban sprawl, those reliant on public transport find themselves dealing with overcrowded systems and extended travel times.

Forging the road ahead

In light of the socioeconomic and environmental costs of car-centric urban planning, there is a dire need to explore alternative mobility solutions to lessen the burden felt by Philippine society. Among these solutions is promoting biking infrastructure and cultivating a bike-friendly culture. This includes pushing for legislation that enforces the rights of cyclists on the road, such as the Philippine Bicycle Act, which aims to promote biking as a mode of transportation and put cyclists and pedestrians at the top of the hierarchy of road users.

Lopez notes that proper infrastructure planning is key to gradually bringing about much-needed change, especially for up-and-coming cities in the Philippines like Angeles City, Baguio City, and Davao City. To reduce dependence on private vehicles, he explains that the government needs to design a public transportation system that “people would choose not because they don’t have any other option, but because it is the best option.”

As the country continues to navigate the complexities of urban planning, a holistic approach that embraces diverse modes of transportation emerges as a crucial pathway forward. Ultimately, the pursuit of sustainable urban development lies in redefining the country’s priorities, emphasizing efficiency, accessibility, and environmental stewardship over the supposed convenience of a car-centric society.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol owned
Billionaire's drowning blamed on Tesla touchscreen error

www.autonews.com - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 posted:

Angela Chao, a billionaire shipping company executive and sister-in-law of Sen. Mitch McConnell, drowned after swiping the touchscreen of her Tesla Model X incorrectly, causing the vehicle to back into a pond on her Texas ranch.

But Chao's family doesn't blame Tesla for her death, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal. She and her husband, venture capitalist Jim Breyer, ""had three Teslas and loved them, and often spoke about how electric vehicles were good for the planet," the Journal said, citing a source close to the family. Breyer is a friend of Tesla CEO Elon Musk, the report said.

Chao, 50, died Feb. 11 while driving her Model X from a guesthouse to her home on her 900-acre property outside Austin. She frantically called a friend staying at the guesthouse for help, saying she had accidentally put the car into reverse rather than drive while making a three-point turn, according to the Journal. The Model X gearshift is controlled by swiping the screen up for drive and down for reverse.

"It is a mistake she had made before with the Tesla gearshift," the story said. "The car had zipped backward, tipping over an embankment and into a pond. It was sinking fast."

Friends, paramedics, firefighters and sheriff's deputies who rushed to the pond were unable to break the Tesla's windows or open its doors underwater. A tow truck driver who arrived reportedly was afraid the EV's battery could electrocute him.

By the time the Model X could be extricated and opened, Chao — sister of former Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao, who is married to McConnell — was unresponsive. Angela Chao's death factored into McConnell's Feb. 28 announcement that he will step down as Senate majority leader this year, the Journal said.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

how did she have time to make a phone call but not simply swipe back up on the screen

lmfao at the entire story its like satire

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

what in the world lol

also Elon continues to fly juuuuust not close enough to the sun. you can do it buddy, one more flap!!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
she should have used her last moments to tweet @ Elon

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Killed by a computer lol
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1354680585139187713
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1354681874258538496
https://twitter.com/getjeda/status/1374774003043241984

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

oh my god :lol:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

can't quite put into words how insanely funny it is that Tesla's unnecessary touchscreen nonsense murdered Mitch McConnell's sister in law

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Frantically typing in my credit card number to subscribe to Twitter Blue so I can ask Grok how to escape from my sinking car

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

my bony fealty posted:

Tesla's unnecessary touchscreen nonsense murdered Mitch McConnell's sister in law

lmao

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

my bony fealty posted:

how did she have time to make a phone call but not simply swipe back up on the screen

lmfao at the entire story its like satire

You'll notice the article pointedly doesn't mention her BAC.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Elon has killed more billionaires in the last few weeks than US leftists have in the last 100 years :sad:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

if their private vanity pond wasn't so huge and deep, she wouldn't have drowned...just burned alive when the batteries exploded.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

remember when elon said teslas could float

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Megamissen posted:

remember when elon said teslas could float

he said they could act BRIEFLY as a boat which is probably true, we don't have a stopwatch to know how fast that car sank

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Boats also sink

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

laws should only be enforced if cops can make enough money off of them

rape and murder now legal; costs too much to actually do detective work and take cases into the court system.

drug enforcement however? oh baby you have no idea how many new cars the force is buying after they sell off these cocaine bricks

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
i'm curious what elon's total Tesla Kill Count is - deaths that can be *directly* attributed to his stupid design decisions

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That kind of screen functionality may be on its way out because someone with power finally acknowledged how stupid it is

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/03/carmakers-must-bring-back-buttons-to-get-good-safety-scores-in-europe/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

do teslas have sun roofs? they should make them explode off if the car thinks its sinking so you can escape without any power. also so that car wash trips are extra funny

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

he said they could act BRIEFLY as a boat which is probably true, we don't have a stopwatch to know how fast that car sank

It’s a U-boat.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Minera posted:

laws should only be enforced if cops can make enough money off of them

rape and murder now legal; costs too much to actually do detective work and take cases into the court system.

drug enforcement however? oh baby you have no idea how many new cars the force is buying after they sell off these cocaine bricks

rape is defacto legal here because the medical examiners office has thousands upon thousands of unprocessed rape kits and there are only a dozen or so people handling all cases (not just rape but overdoses, murders, etc.) for a county of millions.

and this is considered one of the best ME offices in the country!

you are correct though they focus almost exclusively on drug enforcement, it’s vitally important to the police that they prove every anonymous corpse has drugs in their blood piss or hair.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oregon proved that gee golly shucks, we just gotta lock up drug fiends for their own good.

Or so the news media has been saying.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im just curious why the gently caress she apparently stomped on the accelerator instead of just, like, idling? drunk, old, bad driver, all three, who knows/

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lobster shirt posted:

im just curious why the gently caress she apparently stomped on the accelerator instead of just, like, idling? drunk, old, bad driver, all three, who knows/

it is well known that more than half of people are demented by the elderly age of 50. I think you're on the money.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

AI mod dumping a bunch of pictures of cars in the LC and I just wanted to check with you guys. Doing okay?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

People freak out hit the accelerator harder because they don't know what's happening or how to fix it. In my neighborhood this happened twice in the span of a month -- one drive into a tree in a ditch, and the other drove on top of a hedge. They were also both Asian ladies, but that can't really be a thing.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Oregon proved that gee golly shucks, we just gotta lock up drug fiends for their own good.

Or so the news media has been saying.

Holy poo poo I have so much to say about this but it’s the cars thread so I’m biting my goddamned tongue but yeah of course the media is saying that because now when they got what they want after a three year tempure tantrum they’re gonna gloat about it too

It’s like we spent three years blanketing every bit of media with stories about speed limits not working and people who would have been well past the intersection where they got in a wreck if only they’d been allowed to speed and also speed limits just encourage slow driving and careless pedestrians, and nobody at all spent any time going “these arguments make no sense,” and then we got rid of speed limits, and then they ran stories nationwide “Oregon sick of deadly speed limits after failed speed limit measure repealed!”

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

aw frig aw dang it posted:

AI mod dumping a bunch of pictures of cars in the LC and I just wanted to check with you guys. Doing okay?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The real reason why they love to eliminate physical buttons and switches from cars is that it makes it easier to segment them off as a paid unlockable if it only comes up in a software touchscreen

Subscribe to the reverse DLC if you want to be able to throw the car into reverse

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

no...

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

imagine how much less space it would take up in the lc if you did single a probe with a bus image instead

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

We'll get through this. Stay strong 🤜🤛

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Megamissen posted:

imagine how much less space it would take up in the lc if you did single a probe with a bus image instead

lmao

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
What is "the LC?"

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Megamissen posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Ham Equity posted:

What is "the LC?"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php