Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

the age thing is funny but like those singers are also still older than most people here i think, like weren't they all born in the 70s

all the jimmy eat world guys are around 48-50 at this point, the fall out boy guys are all late 30s-early 40s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Carthag Tuek posted:

no its just a thing we did back then, translating the words directly to danish so it sounds funnier. like literally sugar, and literally a baby child.

as a swede I’m required by law to give danes a hard time

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kernel Sanders posted:

as a swede I’m required by law to give danes a hard time

men för helvete, jävla skitstövel! jag dräpar dig, skutar dig för pannan m en bajs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I went to see skinny puppy on their final tour and my strongest memory was someone in the crowd waving their cane around when the encore started

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

all the jimmy eat world guys are around 48-50 at this point, the fall out boy guys are all late 30s-early 40s.

i just remember buying jimmy eat world's "bleed american" album in the summer of 2001 when i was 14 and it feels like it was only a couple years ago, not over two decades ago

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i remember putting the jew cover of last christmas on a holidays cdr i burned for my parents

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

i remember putting the jew cover of last christmas on a holidays cdr i burned for my parents

i like their cover of last christmas, but i think their version of "if you were born today" is better

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Branch Nvidian posted:

i like their cover of last christmas, but i think their version of "if you were born today" is better

by low? cant find the cover on youtube

but yeah i liked that christmas cover, tho i havent heard it in 10+ years its somehow still in the ol noggin

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

went to this a few years ago and it was really good! Just a bunch of 80's bands playing 2-4 songs each.

had to leave during Wang Chung to get the kids to bed, which was unfortunate as they sounded great.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

by low? cant find the cover on youtube

but yeah i liked that christmas cover, tho i havent heard it in 10+ years its somehow still in the ol noggin

https://youtu.be/DS2yc-HZ0X0?si=0cxwx8DpsX_dDr1r

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

mediaphage posted:

the age thing is funny but like those singers are also still older than most people here i think, like weren't they all born in the 70s

you wound me, sir

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Branch Nvidian posted:

ah i tend to think about pete wentz who will be 45 this year

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ah thx

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cold on a Cob posted:

you wound me, sir

lmao if you werent born on a generational cusp so you can mingle with gen x and millenials liek the daywalker

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

ah i tend to think about pete wentz who will be 45 this year

oh lol, yeah I forgot he’s got a few years on the other fall out boys

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

oh lol, yeah I forgot he’s got a few years on the other fall out boys

yeah it’s like 79/80/83/84

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

*falls out boy

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao if you werent born on a generational cusp so you can mingle with gen x and millenials liek the daywalker

yeah apparently we’re called xillennials

just barely missed out on a lot of the benefits of being gen x but the millennials still hate us vOv

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no we are not lol

i reject that label

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Branch Nvidian posted:

it's funny how much billy joel loving hates both his and fall out boy's versions of that song

i agree with billy joel that song sucks rear end

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

no we are not lol

i reject that label

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the defining characteristic of xennials is constantly moving the cutoff year so that they are not gen-x

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
generations arent real. to think that they are is some boomer poo poo

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

generations arent real. to think that they are is some boomer poo poo

worse, they were invented by marketers

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

no we are not lol

i reject that label

I like eldar millennial

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

elden millennialing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its funny cause before the internet, denmark only really had "the 68 generation" as a distinct cohort, ie people who were young at that time, so basically "boomers", but now everyone knows these goddamn marketing terms. yall are poison

i like welcoming my friends into adulthood when they have a birthday, like 28 welcome!, 34 welcome!, 42 welcome!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what do you mean yall lmao

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Jonny 290 posted:

it's slang for "you all"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jonny 290 posted:

2nd person plural

american cultural hegemony etc

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

its funny cause before the internet, denmark only really had "the 68 generation" as a distinct cohort, ie people who were young at that time, so basically "boomers", but now everyone knows these goddamn marketing terms. yall are poison

i like welcoming my friends into adulthood when they have a birthday, like 28 welcome!, 34 welcome!, 42 welcome!

more like all y’all

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Branch Nvidian posted:

more like all y’all

depends on dialect, no?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

ihr

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cat Face Joe posted:

it's slang for "you all"

:thanks:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

okay well it was the non-specific "you all", as in the "americans" from previous sentence, not any specific american. i apologize for not broadening my 2nd person plural sufficiently

sheesh its much easier to just say "I" (pronounced "ee" but short & with a glottal stop)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

depends on dialect, no?

no it’s a matter of degree / number of people

yall < all yall

it’s also used as emphasis especially if you’re placing yourself on the opposite side of a group consensus

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
apology accepted! live and learn, eh

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

no it’s a matter of degree / number of people

yall < all yall

it’s also used as emphasis especially if you’re placing yourself on the opposite side of a group consensus

like in this specific situation "y'all are poison" would be directed at the people posting in this thread, having this conversation. "all y'all are poison" would be directed at a nebulous group or systemic structure such as "boomers" or "marketers" or "americans"

there are a lot of american-based english dialects, and this is predominately a feature of what's known as southern american english, which is related to but not at all the same as african-american vernacular english, which itself is based more on a different old southern american english and other influences like creole. a whole lot of nuances between the various dialects that don't really make much sense in a text format unless you're already familiar with the spoken version(s)

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 16, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thx yall ;)

but good to know that all yall makes it less specific in a positive way. i think the only commonly used modifier we have is super negative: "i/jer" (you plural) -> "i/jer allesammen" (you plural, all you, together), its like when youre getting killed by your heist gang members its "it was all of you who did it"

in my mind, saying "all yall is poison" would be specifically saying you all individually was poison, which obviously you are not

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tbh i just got my hackles up cause i thought you were calling me a boomer haha

not quiiiiite there