Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

thanks alot assbag posted:

This show has a really bizarre tendency to begin a new plot thread, then put it down for like 5 episodes before picking it back up again. It's overall fine but it makes things kind of hard to keep track of or even care about.

Happened a lot in the comic too. Gonna be a real challenge for them to try and keep things relevant across season (and now mid season) breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Hughlander posted:

Just be glad it's not like Babylon 5...

Season 2 Episode 1 premiered November 2nd 1994. Season 2 Episode 22 premiered November 1, 1995. 364 days to air the season.

22 episodes within a year would be an improvement for this show.

The new episode was great.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

"Yum Yum..."

Jesus loving wept!

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

The huge season gap sucked but splitting eight episodes in half is a huge miss.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad Allen is still alive, he's one of my favorite characters.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sardikar posted:

"Yum Yum..."

Jesus loving wept!

That sure was an episode.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ray getting eaten by Komodo Dragon was a gag in the comic. And then the show writers turned it into... that. :dogstare:

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Ray getting eaten by Komodo Dragon was a gag in the comic. And then the show writers turned it into... that. :dogstare:

Are spoilers needed? The episode has been out 24 hours already.

Personally I think they could've just had Komodo chew more vigourously instead of just swallowing her like a pill. That's what I assumed actually happened in the comic.

And maybe irrelevant, but The Boys also had a similar scene at one point. I wonder if the Invincible writers then got the idea to show regrowing won't always work.
EDIT: I guess there were also all those Ant-man/Thanos memes since Endgame.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 15, 2024

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

they sure packed a lot of poo poo into this episode! By the time the end rolled around, I wasn't even aware of how long the episode had been and then the credits started and I was like "aaaaaaaaaaaa you got me good, but wait, what about the stinger? Awwwwwww yeah, that's the good poo poo!"

Next week is going to be loving wild even if they only focus on the earth things as it feels like Allen coming back to Earth will be the cliffhanger for next episode, then they sting us with more unstable Aangstrom stuff

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Does Amazon literally want this show to fail? I had no idea the new episode came out, and even looking at my Prime Video it's not on the front page anywhere. I just don't understand what they're doing to this thing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Phenotype posted:

Does Amazon literally want this show to fail? I had no idea the new episode came out, and even looking at my Prime Video it's not on the front page anywhere. I just don't understand what they're doing to this thing.

it's like the Kung Pow "we trained him wrong" thing. they released the show wrong, as a joke.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

Same. No notifications under “continue watching” , no banner … nothing. If it wasn’t for this thread I would never know. Weirdly enough I’ve watched the Atom Eve special like 5 times but it refuses to show I watched it.

Episode was good. Can’t remember from the comics if this is it for those certain heroes or there is more. Kinda like that I can’t remember much after the cosmic showdown promised this episode. Better loving include Space Racer as I remember loving that guy for some reason. Better give me uncut Battle Beast!

Show is still good but going to be annoyed if Amazon is like “nobody watched the second half premiere that we forced so time to cancel.” MAX has made me paranoid.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The Amazon Video app is garbage.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Phenotype posted:

This won't be the first show they buried.

And they probably don't even know they buried it, since its all black box algorithm tailored per user. All they see is that nobody watched, not why.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Sardikar posted:

"Yum Yum..."

Jesus loving wept!

Maybe it's a komodo dragon reference, but that dude sure seemed eager to eat absolutely everything regardless of any hazard it may have caused :psyboom:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hey, it's not every day you get a free lunch. :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It was right there on my "watch the next episode!" thing for me. Then again, I don't watch a lot of things on Prime these days :shrug:

If The Boys or Invincible isn't on, I pretty much just have it for free shipping and Kindle poo poo

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DogsInSpace! posted:

Same. No notifications under “continue watching” , no banner … nothing. If it wasn’t for this thread I would never know. Weirdly enough I’ve watched the Atom Eve special like 5 times but it refuses to show I watched it.

Episode was good. Can’t remember from the comics if this is it for those certain heroes or there is more. Kinda like that I can’t remember much after the cosmic showdown promised this episode. Better loving include Space Racer as I remember loving that guy for some reason. Better give me uncut Battle Beast!

Show is still good but going to be annoyed if Amazon is like “nobody watched the second half premiere that we forced so time to cancel.” MAX has made me paranoid.

The only reason I knew the new episode came out was because it the new episode auto populated in my Apple TV up next list.

Crazy Apple TV’s continue watching feature worked better than Amazon’s.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DogsInSpace! posted:

This is the sort of thing I'm worried about, like the animation and voice actors are too expensive so they're trying to subtly give themselves a reason to cancel it.

M_Gargantua posted:

And they probably don't even know they buried it, since its all black box algorithm tailored per user. All they see is that nobody watched, not why.

And this doesn't make any sense either, because Invincible is one of maybe a half-dozen shows I've watched on Amazon Video, I think the only other shows I've watched all the way through were The Boys and Upload. You'd think the algorithm would know I'd be interested in watching the other half of the season it knows I've seen.

At any rate, I really enjoyed this one too. Did not expect the battle back home to be as fatal as it ended up being. Holy poo poo. That bit with Shrinking Girl trying to expand herself after the goon ate her, and the goon just crushing her to death inside himself, loving gross as hell lol. Also liked Robot trying to stop Monster Girl from having to de-age herself for training, but apparently never giving a second thought to poor Dupli-Kate getting gruesomely killed every few seconds. I read the comics back when the show first came out, but so much time has passed that I've forgotten most of it besides the biggest plot beats, so all that really took me by surprise.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I gotta wonder why Dupli-Kate doesn't just keep one copy of herself standing at a safe distance during fights.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
If I was Dupli-Kate I would simply stop wearing an outfit that showed the enemy how many copies are left to kill.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Slashrat posted:

I gotta wonder why Dupli-Kate doesn't just keep one copy of herself standing at a safe distance during fights.

I had the same thought, and now I'm pretty sure that's exactly how Rex gets out of this.

^^^ Kate 11 glancing down and realizing she's Kate 1 again

a seagull fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 16, 2024

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Have we ever been told how far the copies can get from the original? They always seem to be hanging out as a group.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

a seagull posted:

I had the same thought, and now I'm pretty sure that's exactly how Rex gets out of this.

^^^ Kate 11 glancing down and realizing she's Kate 1 again

Kate 0 revealing herself:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

they did a great job reminding me how brutal the show is

that might be the worst thing that's happened in terms of shock value

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't think anything beats the Guardian massacre from episode 1 but this latest episode got pretty close.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
So Shrinking Rae just dies without ever really being a character, huh? Like, to the point where she barely even had lines. Every other hero has had at least a glimmer of a personality at least once, but she's a blank slate to the very end. Kinda weird.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, Red Rush literally breaking his fists on Nolan was quite a visceral display. I still enjoy that because it shows how powerful speedsters can be, and then that it still wasn't enough.

I'm still not sure I truly understand what happened to Rae. Is the implication that Komodo is just THAT much stronger and so could contain her as she expanded back to regular size? Or did she already start getting banged up a bit as he was swallowing her, and so she couldn't expand with enough explosive force?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Aces High posted:

Yeah, Red Rush literally breaking his fists on Nolan was quite a visceral display. I still enjoy that because it shows how powerful speedsters can be, and then that it still wasn't enough.

I'm still not sure I truly understand what happened to Rae. Is the implication that Komodo is just THAT much stronger and so could contain her as she expanded back to regular size? Or did she already start getting banged up a bit as he was swallowing her, and so she couldn't expand with enough explosive force?

(Last episode spoiler) Probably a little of both, she got chewed on and Komodo dragons (irl) are built to eat gigantic amounts of food at once and have venomous saliva. Even grosser when you stop to think about it :stonk:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

We already see her explode a smaller member of Lizard Squad so I think it's just Komodo being a beefy enough boy to crush her with his esophagus.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
The muffled sounds of Rae struggling coming from inside his body has definitely stuck in my mind since watching it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At a certain point I'd just shrink back down, unless she has to hit full size before activating again. Like some others have said we haven't spent much time with her so we don't know the details of her ability. And aside from that she appears to be a normal human so combat probably isn't her thing anyway.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair she was likely panicking when her usual trick of "Get full size and splat" didn't work. Even if shrinking back down to just under the circumference of his oespohagus and either lodging herself there until he asphyxiated or trying to climb against the peristalsis was possible, she may not have been in the right mindset to think of it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know it's been a trope since the very first Spider-Man comics, but I'm really sick of "hero tries to attend college and have a regular girlfriend" bullshit.

Cecil needs to sit Mark down and tell him that poo poo is just not going to happen. Hell, offer him free tutors and private classes if he still wants to further his education - all government heroes should be getting that poo poo anyway.

They should be doing languages, crisis negotiations, electrical engineering, and all sorts of weaponry and military stuff. I assume special forces and secret agent types do training in all sorts of poo poo constantly, why wouldn't you want that for your supes?

Your strongest hero who might be called to save the world at a moment's notice should not be distracted by exam stress or worried about missing class.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The thinking is: We would prefer our scary indestructible guardian not to be a socially maladjusted misanthrope. Which is a coin flip for both home schooling and normal school, but forcing homeschooling on a kid that doesn't want it isn't a good starting point. It's a trope for a good reason, telling a child what is best for them only really works* once they already to listen, usually after they experience why. It's good narrative.

*or if they have belief and devotion to the person telling them, but that isn't how most teenagers are built.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'll be kinda disappointed if Kate is actually dead. like why wouldn't you always leave one hiding around a corner somewhere just in case.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Baller Ina posted:

So Shrinking Rae just dies without ever really being a character, huh? Like, to the point where she barely even had lines. Every other hero has had at least a glimmer of a personality at least once, but she's a blank slate to the very end. Kinda weird.

She's based on Shrinking Ray from the comics, who was around longer (due to how the show and the comics arrange events), died in a similar (though less spectacular) way, and was somehow even less of a character.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I don't know why this show needs to be an hour long. You can probably easily split the episodes even with the current story into half an hour and make the pause between (half-seasons!) shorter. I think it'd make the show better too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Adder Moray posted:

She's based on Shrinking Ray from the comics, who was around longer (due to how the show and the comics arrange events), died in a similar (though less spectacular) way, and was somehow even less of a character.

I don't think anyone even cared that Ray died aside from Rex in the moment. Komodo just popped him into his mouth and that was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait, his name was really Ray, as in Ray Romano? So that's why his supe name is Shrinking Ray? Surprised we don't have another speedster in the series named Justin Time.