Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I've noticed that once you have all the upgrades, +50% more ammo, +more hp and better turn speed, the turrets get really nice at high difficulty levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hwurmp posted:

yes, Democracy Officer, this post right here

lol

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

I've tried to contribute to the war effort over the past couple days but the game has gotten so unstable that I'm lucky if I get through an operation without crashing to the PS Menu. Been really enjoying the new Sickle though, taking that with a jetpack, grenade launcher, airstrikes, and EAT and I'm can handle what feels like pretty much anything on the Terminid side of the map.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

If you're on steam and having stability issues try verifying the game files. For whatever reason every so often some files fail to verify and need redownloading. Solves my periodic issues with crashing and other weird things happening.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Are tags still processing?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Section Z posted:

The more I use the slugger, the more it feels like people making a big deal about "But it stagger locks robots!!!" is coping with the fact we only need the stagger against chainsaw bots and devastators due to robots constantly warping 5-10 feet up and down over rocks and fencing :argh:

For every satisfying long ranged perfect headshot with the slugger the moment they are dropped off, is a dozen more cases of "Sure wish I had the defender". Because 60 slugger ammo goes by real fast when every third shot has a robot zero shift out of the way. "I will take cover behind this rocky hilltop I am not allowed to climb while I reload-of course they can dead sprint up it instead of pathing around...."

Good thing autopistol loving rules as the backup option of "Kill 2 or maybe even 3 chainsaw bots" when they pull that poo poo.

Ideally you have a support weapon as plan A against devastators that helps conserve ammo and the slugger is an 'oh poo poo I need to deal with these devastators running me down now' backup. Agreed with the climbing robots though, especially on that one Draupnir layout with loads of rocky spires with valleys between them. I have been caught out too many times walking around without my eyes glued to the map radar only for some mountain goat machine gunner to rain down hell on me from halfway up the cliff.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Darox posted:

Ideally you have a support weapon as plan A against devastators that helps conserve ammo and the slugger is an 'oh poo poo I need to deal with these devastators running me down now' backup. Agreed with the climbing robots though, especially on that one Draupnir layout with loads of rocky spires with valleys between them. I have been caught out too many times walking around without my eyes glued to the map radar only for some mountain goat machine gunner to rain down hell on me from halfway up the cliff.

Something about my habits means I give the grenade launcher another chance when I bring the slugger, so surprise rock climbing can thwart grenade arcs by having it zip between legs, over heads, or "They are now spidermanning inside my safe arming distance". Getting much better at popping jittery walkers with it though, probably thanks to the fact they have open air riders.

Also the maps hate me when I solo with a launcher "This time for sure. I will get better at killing factories with the launcher-" *Every factory is facing the opposite side of my stealth approach* "Ninja technique 500 bomb and airburst it is". Autocannon bias is usually blessed with nice tall rocks to climb facing them for an easy angle shot I don't even need trick deflects for.

Could be worse. Slugger and grenade launcher are good weapons, that only suffer due to jank.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 15, 2024

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Anybody else randomly get the bug where your weapon stops working and you can't do calldowns?

Seems to happen if I get knocked off in the middle of a state where I have a gun unavailable - ex mid calldown or if I'm holding a package.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Turin Turambar posted:

I've noticed that once you have all the upgrades, +50% more ammo, +more hp and better turn speed, the turrets get really nice at high difficulty levels.

I unlocked all the turret upgrades the other day and the AC turret in particular went from "this is pretty good if in the ideal spot" to the only turret I bring, and I even like it on some non-defense/extermination maps. Toss it perpendicular to your escape path and it will either wipe the wave or stay alive long enough to let you get away.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So speak of the Devil, I managed to join a game with a great bunch of people. Loads of teamwork, we were mercilessly efficient, just an inexorable tidal wave of democracy that could not be slowed. Super satisfying. Group synergy was so good, for our final match, we decided to buddy up for recoilless rifle / autocannon faster reloading.

Spoiler alert: it's really poo poo. Coordinating in the heat of battle that closely with someone else is nigh impossible. Lots of situations where one or the other would be awkwardly standing waiting to load, but targets would move behind obstacles and meanwhile there'd be lots of smaller bugs attacking us. It was terrible. We lost the round and I definitely think we would have had better luck either playing those weapons solo, or just using EATs. 0/10 would not recommend.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

if you have a grenade launcher does it fire impact nades if you pick them? i can't decide which ones are best, normal ones can close holes better whereas impact are great for clearing trash

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I am a big fan of the speed and amount of things being added and changed weekly.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

hey mom its 420 posted:

if you have a grenade launcher does it fire impact nades if you pick them? i can't decide which ones are best, normal ones can close holes better whereas impact are great for clearing trash
Grenade launcher is always "Arming distance of ???" until they switch to impact mode. This may explain why I am so poo poo at shooting nests and factories with the launcher compared to the autocannon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/pilestedt/status/1768765861463035956?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Qubee posted:

So speak of the Devil, I managed to join a game with a great bunch of people. Loads of teamwork, we were mercilessly efficient, just an inexorable tidal wave of democracy that could not be slowed. Super satisfying. Group synergy was so good, for our final match, we decided to buddy up for recoilless rifle / autocannon faster reloading.

Spoiler alert: it's really poo poo. Coordinating in the heat of battle that closely with someone else is nigh impossible. Lots of situations where one or the other would be awkwardly standing waiting to load, but targets would move behind obstacles and meanwhile there'd be lots of smaller bugs attacking us. It was terrible. We lost the round and I definitely think we would have had better luck either playing those weapons solo, or just using EATs. 0/10 would not recommend.

It is only ever useful if you both use the same gun because you're not 100% dependent on it. Double Recoiless is pretty good since you can both fire, then swap to loading each other.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Infidelicious posted:

It is only ever useful if you both use the same gun because you're not 100% dependent on it. Double Recoiless is pretty good since you can both fire, then swap to loading each other.

I just read on the wiki that picking up an ammo box supplies your backpack fully as well. So drat, that's actually quite good. Holding the extraction point or one of the battery silos in TCS with a RCL would be so much better. Bile Titans wouldn't stand a chance.

Griz
May 21, 2001

WarpedLichen posted:

Anybody else randomly get the bug where your weapon stops working and you can't do calldowns?

Seems to happen if I get knocked off in the middle of a state where I have a gun unavailable - ex mid calldown or if I'm holding a package.

diving and switching weapons a few times seems to fix this

I also keep getting stuck in the machine gun reload animation if it gets interrupted and then I have to mash R like 4 times for it to fix itself

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

never trust a mortar

not even an ems one

https://i.imgur.com/mp4KDTI.mp4

NEVER

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Janissary Hop posted:

Are tags still processing?

I too await my democracy flair

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ciaphas posted:

never trust a mortar

not even an ems one

https://i.imgur.com/mp4KDTI.mp4

NEVER

yeah the actual projectile still does damage. it owns

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Infidelicious posted:

I've had decent luck running RR + Shieldpack on the Rocket person. Yea you gotta hang out together but it's pretty solid if you're 2-manning a mission. Especially nice for very quickly deleting Bot bases if you can get a vantage point - 3 seconds per factory/building and one for the inevitable dropship then gently caress off again. VS bugs run an ammo pack instead of Shield. But voice is pretty much mandatory.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

BadLlama posted:

Still want a backpack fed minigun I can walk around with predator style.

If there’s any game that has a minigun with a realistic 3000-6000rpm fire rate it’d probably be this one

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Gave the Tesla tower some reps last night and I think I'm a big fan. It's like a big glowy minefield of love. And by love, I mean death to the enemies of DEMOCRACY. Obviously situational, but for tower defense and extraction it's the bee's knees.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

FrancisFukyomama posted:

If there’s any game that has a minigun with a realistic 3000-6000rpm fire rate it’d probably be this one

Closest I've seen games fake it is when the miniguns fire multiple projectiles at once shotgun-style.
Which tbf is the only way to do it when you're trying to spam out multiple projectiles-per-frame.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Lumpy posted:

Gave the Tesla tower some reps last night and I think I'm a big fan. It's like a big glowy minefield of love. And by love, I mean death to the enemies of DEMOCRACY. Obviously situational, but for tower defense and extraction it's the bee's knees.

They're especially good if you can plant them on a rock above a path bugs want to take. If the tower doesn't get rammed by a Charger or ganged up on by Brood Commander heavies, it'll last longer than the cooldown for a new one.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Re: arc throwers, I think the best part is just deleting patrols with no alerts. Except when a brood commander leads bug patrols, snipe them first from a distance first, then arc.

If I can convince teammates not to heroically intervene in a charger honour duel, they die super fast, often before they get a charge off.

I haven't really mastered the flame thrower, I can't get close to the same level of control over alerts and hordes as I can get out of the arc.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Janissary Hop posted:

If you're on steam and having stability issues try verifying the game files. For whatever reason every so often some files fail to verify and need redownloading. Solves my periodic issues with crashing and other weird things happening.

Good tip I did this and had 3 files apparently corrupt for some reason.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Looks like the "shots fired" etc trackers are back up, which is either promising or a sign of Further Nonsense to come.

Inspired by the thread/new warbond I've been playing with the arc turret. That thing is fun. And safe. Definitely safe.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMCCCvfaVeI

Submitted without comment

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 16, 2024

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

HELL (YEAH) DIVERS

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Seedge posted:

Did we setup the TCS yet?

We have signal. Send every Zig!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Section Z posted:

The more I use the slugger, the more it feels like people making a big deal about "But it stagger locks robots!!!" is coping with the fact we only need the stagger against chainsaw bots and devastators due to robots constantly warping 5-10 feet up and down over rocks and fencing :argh:

For every satisfying long ranged perfect headshot with the slugger the moment they are dropped off, is a dozen more cases of "Sure wish I had the defender". Because 60 slugger ammo goes by real fast when every third shot has a robot zero shift out of the way. "I will take cover behind this rocky hilltop I am not allowed to climb while I reload-of course they can dead sprint up it instead of pathing around...."

Good thing autopistol loving rules as the backup option of "Kill 2 or maybe even 3 chainsaw bots" when they pull that poo poo.
Not really sure what you mean wrt "zero shift out of the way", I don't know if I've ever seen robots warp up and down rocks/fences. The only weird movement I've seen from them is hulk and dropship bodies after death.
I do think, however, that the slugger is very, very unreliable to actually oneshot devastator heads. Maybe it's just due to how fat the shots are or maybe it's due to drop, but very frequently you hit just barely off the head and miss it.
That's fine though because that's one of the things I carry an AMR for.

anyways, I've got an idea for an enhanced jumppack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=majM56X8HJA

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Seedge posted:

Did we setup the TCS yet?

3 planets down and the fourth is being dogpiled pretty hard due to peak US hours.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Erata Prime should be done in 3-4 hours unless they gently caress with it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Griz posted:

Erata Prime should be done in 3-4 hours unless they gently caress with it

Gonna be cool when all the bugs are under control due to the TCS. Won't even know what I'm gonna blow up with all my strategems after that... Probably gotta blow up some automatons.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
There's a new bug boss coming. The bug genocide probably triggers it. That, or the blue beams will get you in your sleep.
I'm sure everything will be just fine!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

And the best part is, is that it's perfectly safe.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I'm finally getting good at headshotting Chargers and Bile Titans with the recoilless rifle. It's so satisfying to take down a charger as it's charging, and watch its corpse skid to a halt right in front of you.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I would like to extend a big thanks to the mods for processing what seems like one of the most popular gang tags in SomethingAwful history. THANK YOU!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Finally got the Sickle, and while I think the Slugger might be technically better, this gun certainly feels great. Also feels very Starship Troopers-y when all four players have it and are hosing down some heavily armored bug that refuses to die.