Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Zack being a one man army never the less imperiled by the attentions of maybe 1 to 3 dozen shinra security grunts, especially given how Cloud just runs absolutely roughshod over them in Remake, was funny. I guess even Sephiroth isn't actually immune to getting domed in the back of the head while he's goofing off though. At least, the black cloaks aren't.

Although those guys did to seem to actually survive the boat captain popping them with a rifle before they jenova'd. But bullets did kill Dyne... but he was fine enough after fighting Barret and crap loads of bullets are Barrets basic attack and go to DPS spender...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Cutscene disease gets everyone eventually, from the greatest SOLDIERs to the most fragile florists.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Caidin posted:

Zack being a one man army never the less imperiled by the attentions of maybe 1 to 3 dozen shinra security grunts, especially given how Cloud just runs absolutely roughshod over them in Remake, was funny. I guess even Sephiroth isn't actually immune to getting domed in the back of the head while he's goofing off though. At least, the black cloaks aren't.

Although those guys did to seem to actually survive the boat captain popping them with a rifle before they jenova'd. But bullets did kill Dyne... but he was fine enough after fighting Barret and crap loads of bullets are Barrets basic attack and go to DPS spender...

One must remember the power difference between Cutscene and Gameplay type bullets.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ardryn posted:

One must remember the power difference between Cutscene and Gameplay type bullets.

Barret got cutscene shot! A lot even. Scarlett had to get his hand like 4 times before he lost his grip on Dyne. Dunno if Boat Captain was loaded with cutscene bullets or mid fight cutscene bullets, might be a difference.

Besides I was never actually convinced Barret is shooting real bullets, sometimes in Remake he can unload even when he clearly has his claw weapon attached. He's just directing vibes at people really hard.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just finished the game
multiverse stuff was kinda overwrought but more importantly the ending made me very very sad and i've still got tears in my eyes and I thought I was going to done like 4 hours ago and I should be asleep by now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Still grappling with the absolute insanity of this game's soundtrack, making tracks like this just to use for a single side quest fight, because hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpSkZqeAmj4

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Harrow posted:

Still grappling with the absolute insanity of this game's soundtrack, making tracks like this just to use for a single side quest fight, because hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpSkZqeAmj4

Gus' theme and remixes are all-timers, IMO. There are so many little musical flourishes like that, I can only imagine they plan on re-using a bunch of it in part 3.

e: all of the tracks in Zack's little pocket universe are some of my faves.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

oh my god

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What am I missing here?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

What am I missing here?

What could very well be the tear in the sky, because they sure as hell aren't in space

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

triple sulk posted:

What could very well be the tear in the sky, because they sure as hell aren't in space

Oh! In the background.

It does look similar, you're right.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something I'm thinking about today regarding the ending and the common "Cloud is seeing an alternate reality nobody he created that nobody else can see" interpretation:

Why are people trusting Cloud's POV here? Cloud Strife. You know, the guy whose brain has been steadily melting for the whole game. The guy who's constantly seeing mako-, Jenova-, and Sephiroth-induced hallucinations. One of the most famous unreliable narrators in gaming. Y'know, that Cloud Strife.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Something I'm thinking about today regarding the ending and the common "Cloud is seeing an alternate reality nobody he created that nobody else can see" interpretation:

Why are people trusting Cloud's POV here? Cloud Strife. You know, the guy whose brain has been steadily melting for the whole game. The guy who's constantly seeing mako-, Jenova-, and Sephiroth-induced hallucinations. One of the most famous unreliable narrators in gaming. Y'know, that Cloud Strife.

It's possible Cloud is seeing something but I feel like the fact the dude hard-slams the black materia into his sword should make it clear that anything he sees is suspect.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Harrow posted:

Because "Cloud's just crazy" is something we already know to be true. So going "Cloud Aerith died and actually you're goo goo gaa gaa crazy" at the northern crater kind of fucks with the point of Cloud being crazy. It makes Sephiroth right. I repeat again, that Cloud's reconstruction only works because he really was at Nibelheim and the truth lay beyond what everyone perceived. Making it so "Nah actually Cloud's just crazy here." Kinda makes him fundamentally broken, how do you pick up the pieces from there "Oh yeah sucks you just were insane. Kinda weird how your insanity manifested in seeing a shattered sky that only people in other timelines could see btw."

the issue I take with "Oh he's just crazy" is it's boring as poo poo. Nothing can be done with it, nothing is added or can blossom from it. It's the cheap out answer.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Pollyanna posted:

Slept on the ending and ehhhhhh yeah no I still don’t like it.

For one thing, I don’t think it was a good idea to end right at Aerith’s death. That really wasn’t the time or place for a big ol’ pompous final boss rush. I would have preferred time to decompress and process afterward like you get in the original, then advanced or reorganized the plot to a more appropriate time to fight Jenova (and Bizarro/Rebirth Sephiroth I guess?). I suppose the problem would be going into the final sequence without Aerith, but that’s already the case anyway (which sucks if she’s one of your favorites to play as btw). Also not too hot on blowing the load on Bizarro Sephiroth early, especially not without any Birth of a God remix!!!! :mad:

Another is that the execution and presentation of her death is confusing to the point of annoyance. It’s really unclear what the hell happened, and not in a good way. The constant glitch cuts and the back and forth fakeouts/unreliable 3rd person narrator thing was distracting and took attention away from the moment itself, and I really didn’t wanna spend that time going “wait, what, did she die, did she not die, did Cloud deflect the blow, which if these is the real world, are they just blowing smoke up my rear end???”. You can argue that that’s the point, that the audience is supposed to be confused because Jenova brain etc. etc., but that only works if it’s enjoyable. IMO it’s not, it’s just annoying.

The world hopping(???) was just an excuse to fight Bizarro Sephiroth and have Zack and Aerith in your party. It doesn’t meaningfully affect the story (which I’ll get into) and there’s little reason to include it other than to hint at different story possibilities. I don’t know why we have four or five different universes, each with their own goddamn Stamp, if none even matter in the end. And Sephiroth’s plot being “harvest multiversal suffering for haha-I’m-evil purposes” is an unnecessary twist for the sake of justifying the defying fate/future unwritten elements from Remake, especially when Rebirth walks those back.

Finally, the whispers. I thought the entire point of the whispers was that defeating them freed the remake trilogy from having to follow the original plot arc. Clearly, Square-Enix changed their mind and the overall arc did not change, this isn’t an AU or a rebuild or a meta-sequel or anything. So then…why are they still here? They’re not what they originally represented, they’re Sephiroth’s spirit army or something now. They’re just there to get in the party’s way whenever Sephiroth feels like it, and have no other narrative use. It sucks cause I actually came around on the Remake whispers once I started considering them a metatextual element representing the devs’ desire to change things up as they see fit, and that was genuinely kinda cool. Now they’re just generic filler and now I look like an idiot.

The problem really boils down to Square-Enix getting cold feet. They set themselves up to get weird and creative and new with the ending to Remake, and then just…chickened out. They set up some good mystery and questions with the clear materia, Tifa confronting Cloud early, and the Zack sequences, and then either didn’t deliver or came up with something messy and confusing. I wish they had gone with one of two options:

1. Introduce whispers and what they represent, then go ham on the multiverse and/or defy fate, future isn’t written in stone thing and have fun with it and make it actually matter; or
2. Not introduce those elements at all!!!

To be clear: 90% of the game is great, and the next 5% is decent but is kind of tedious. But that last 5%, holy poo poo man. What a wasted opportunity. What a mess.

Holy poo poo imagine being this wrong about so many things.

Game ruled, sorry you don't like cool things.

Edit: Think of things you liked. Expanding on avalanche and wutai is cool and good. Baby weapons appearing earlier to highlight how loving massive the main weapons will be in the northern crater. We expand the Gi and Nanaki's backstory. We are exploring Cait Sith more, we have Vincient and the turks clearly being expanded. Cid so far isn't beating his assistant so he has potential to be expanded and cool. Plus his tie to Aerith's mom is cool. Expanding on the Cloud psycosis rules since most people who played the original have no loving idea what was actually happening with Cloud. Anything with Zack rules and feeling otherwise is dumb and wrong. I just loving loved all of it.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 15, 2024

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Harrow posted:

There is a lot of weird going on here, just because Cloud is a injured psyche loosely glued together by his SOLDIERsona and doesn't know what his left hand is doing anymore does not mean he didn't get turned into a moogle and have multiple run ins with Greg.

Sometimes it simply be like that, and I think Kingdom Hearts is one of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like Cloud turning into a moogle was the happiest moment of his entire life.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

CPFortest posted:

You get the same flashback scene with Tifa mentioning Zack to Aerith regardless of whether you're with Tifa or Aerith at the Gold Saucer. For me Tifa works a little better since the finale is so Aerith heavy and the Sector 5 alternate universe scene largely does the same thing as the Gold Saucer bit, just more bittersweet than comedic.

I got barret because he's my best bro. I guess I need to do those other dates to learn about my best girl tifa's aerith conversation

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Harrow posted:

Well he saw the rift in the sky that was the same as the one from the universe that we saw when we were playing as Zack and then some version of Cloud and Aerith saw it as well.

So it would be weird story wise for them to show it being the same as that but just be a figment of his imagination.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like Cloud turning into a moogle was the happiest moment of his entire life.

His highs have been very okay and his lows have been extremely distressing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All of the dates are pretty interesting. Yuffie's is the first place where it's really acknowledged that Yuffie knew Zack too.

I'm kind of sad Yuffie and Aerith never got to have a conversation about that because it would have been hilarious.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Icicle Inn/Snowboarding
The Northern Crater
Escaping From Junon/Hijacking the Highwind
Searching For Cloud/Mideel/Cloud Gets His Memory Back
There Ain't No Getting Offa This Train We're On/North Coral/Magus Materia
Fort Condor (Like, the actual one that you see in the distance near Junon)/Magus Materia
Junon/Submarine (Huge Materia)
Rocket Town (Huge Materia/Absolutely loving going to be expanded)
Wutai
The Weapons in general (May be combined with the magus materia stuff)
Return to Midgar
Return to Cosmo Canyon/City of the Ancients revisited
Zack's Whole Thing

Things I expect to get fleshed out/made into sidequests:
Golden Chocobo
Knights of the Round
Typhon (I am betting we get an Ultros cameo)
Chadley's true body
The Gi Tribe. (Probably a Red XIII-centric sidequest)
Zangan/The truth about what happened to Tifa (Probably a Tifa-centric sidequest)
Don Corneo (will either be part of the Wutai plot or will be a sideplot.)
Lucretia (May get fleshed out, give Vincent actual plot time.)
Elmyria/Marlene (She wasn't kidnapped by Cait Sith this time so no idea what's going on with her, probably worked into Return To Midgar. Maybe used to give Reeve/Cait more to do?)

Summons who haven't shown up yet
Bahamut Zero
Hades
Typhon
Kotor

Ancient forest expanded will give us typhon right? That's where you get it normally. Hell they can do a lot with a place called "ancient" forest

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Ancient forest expanded will give us typhon right? That's where you get it normally. Hell they can do a lot with a place called "ancient" forest

Very possible. It depends on how they handle it. If they just give us Typhon I think it'd just be a Chadley arena fight, but if they make it a full goofy sidequest and include Ultros then it would make sense for it to be there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RC Cola posted:

Holy poo poo imagine being this wrong about so many things.

Game ruled, sorry you don't like cool things.

Edit: Think of things you liked. Expanding on avalanche and wutai is cool and good. Baby weapons appearing earlier to highlight how loving massive the main weapons will be in the northern crater. We expand the Gi and Nanaki's backstory. We are exploring Cait Sith more, we have Vincient and the turks clearly being expanded. Cid so far isn't beating his assistant so he has potential to be expanded and cool. Plus his tie to Aerith's mom is cool. Expanding on the Cloud psycosis rules since most people who played the original have no loving idea what was actually happening with Cloud. Anything with Zack rules and feeling otherwise is dumb and wrong. I just loving loved all of it.

My dude, I’m specifically talking about the execution of the ending. Everything you brought up is under that other 90-95% I said was great.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

triple sulk posted:

Yeah, of the game's flaws, I'd say that's definitely one of them. He's even there at the end to help open the path for Cloud. Why not go with them?

I think its partly because we get playable cait, nanaki, and (if you didn't play dlc) yuffie. Lots of new movesets. Its not OG FF7 where you just choose actions. You have to learn these new characters. I think part of it is learning curve.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think the glitchy fakeouts are necessary to show that not everyone is seeing what Cloud is seeing.

I also think, from an emotional perspective, the glitchy fakeout is where the biggest emotional punch is. Going in knowing Aerith died in the original, seeing Cloud break free and change things, giving that one brief perfect moment of "oh poo poo she's going to live" and then snatching it away is pretty much the only way the game can come close to the gutpunch of her being skewered out of nowhere in the original. They might be able to tone things back more after that (though I think the use of blood is effective since the game is otherwise so bloodless) but that moment is critical assuming you're going in unspoiled because you're given a couple of heartbeats of hope before it gets dashed.

I won't speak for others but when I reached that scene, I was going "Oh man, is she going to die? I don't want her to die" and waiting for the moment and the second Cloud broke free I basically cheered, and then having the rug pulled out from under me hit me hard enough that I was willing to give the rest of the scene what it wanted. It's a rare case where I unambiguously think knowing she dies for sure beforehand hurts the scene.

Same. I cried harder at this version than I did at the original. Like you said earlier though, I spent way more time with her in this game. Plus the hope that she might live this time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I guess the difference with me is that others found that rugpull effective instead of cheap.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

RC Cola posted:

After Gongaga I don't want to go anywhere near a remake of the ancient forest

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You’re gonna get XIV 1.0 Gridania and you’re going to love it :colbert:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

OH, another thing I haven't said, but this is the Empire Strike Back moment of despair and I love it. Punch me in the gut so I can reach new highs with my good friend Cid in space

Ardryn posted:

After Gongaga I don't want to go anywhere near a remake of the ancient forest

I disagree but also I get it. I loving love exploring open worlds, and my favorite games are collectathons. Square made the perfect game for RC Cola and no one else and I'm here for it

Edit: So everyone is talking about how busted yuffie is. Why is she so busted? I generally like playing as Tifa and just doing plasma discharge and drop kicking fools over and over again with lightning exploding around me. Is it just access to the ninjitsu of each element? Besides using doppelganger to increase damage I clearly am not using her correctly

Pollyanna posted:

My dude, I’m specifically talking about the execution of the ending. Everything you brought up is under that other 90-95% I said was great.

I retract what I said. I loved the ending and was super onboard for the fan service in the final fight.

Finally caught up with the thread. On hard mode chapter 9 now. The platty is gonna suck. The 3d brawler for middle manager was tough. I assume sephiroth is worse? Also the 2 leg piano song I cannot get for some reason. I feel like it reads my inputs wrong. I have S's on the other 5 songs but can't get a loving A on this one

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 15, 2024

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Nucular Carmul posted:

I have to admit I was team Cloud/Aerith before Rebirth but now I understand the truth. Her song during the Loveless performance was a pretty close mirror to Yuna's song in X-2. Basically singing in front of a huge crowd of people, but the one person both girls are actually singing TO are not there to hear it. I had to go take a fuckin walk after that and sort my thoughts. Rebirth has one clear agenda: breaking the clerith ship for good lol

I feel like it's ambiguous whether it's about Cloud or Zack. Certainly the line about meeting again "at our place" indicates Cloud--she refers to the church as "our place" when you wake up in the other world right before the end

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

Because "Cloud's just crazy" is something we already know to be true. So going "Cloud Aerith died and actually you're goo goo gaa gaa crazy" at the northern crater kind of fucks with the point of Cloud being crazy. It makes Sephiroth right. I repeat again, that Cloud's reconstruction only works because he really was at Nibelheim and the truth lay beyond what everyone perceived. Making it so "Nah actually Cloud's just crazy here." Kinda makes him fundamentally broken, how do you pick up the pieces from there "Oh yeah sucks you just were insane. Kinda weird how your insanity manifested in seeing a shattered sky that only people in other timelines could see btw."

the issue I take with "Oh he's just crazy" is it's boring as poo poo. Nothing can be done with it, nothing is added or can blossom from it. It's the cheap out answer.

I don't think it's just that Cloud's crazy. Red XIII reacts to Aerith's presence at the end as well--clearly there's something real there, and not just a hallucination. Same for the rift in the sky. I just think that doesn't necessarily means that he created a new timeline where Aerith survived. Aerith's actions after being stabbed just seem so... well, "I'm dead and I know it," for lack of a better description.

Part of this is also based on what Marlene says to Zack: that if Aerith wakes up in their world, she will die, and that if Cloud is still sick, he can't save her. Both of those things happen (or don't happen): Aerith wakes up in the other world, and Cloud is still very, very sick at the end. If it was something like "he saved her but Sephiroth twisted the timeline" or "he saved her but the others outside the Whisper wall can't see that timeline" that wouldn't really line up, assuming we believe Marlene knows what she's talking about.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I loved everything before and after the final boss fight but the fight itself felt even more like they just suddenly dropped a bombastic JRPG finale in the middle of the story than Remake’s final boss. Like, I’m not sure what fighting Bizarro Sephiroth even accomplished?

Cloud going “Yep, let’s get going” afterwards was just a loving knife to the gut tho. The game almost made it seem like Cloud was actually getting better but nope, his mind really is just utterly broken at this point.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also I know one-winged angel is the iconic Sephiroth theme and all but it didn’t really feel like it fit tonally for the Cloud+Aerith vs Sephiroth fight

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKUFXhnc9T8
You okay back there, Cloud?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

What is the best new song and why is it jenova

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
throw a dart at the track listing and you'll hit the best song

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Which of the two. I'm partial to the first one with the creepy vocals.
The cave of the Gi has some really cool music for a place that you spend ten minutes in and can't revisit.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RC Cola posted:

it’s actually the desert rush music

I’m glad random metal songs have become a tradition in modern final fantasy games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and we're done. i idiotically chose to repeat the entire final boss fight instead of just the final phase after getting KO'd in the last ten seconds, which took the wind out of my sails a little, but i'm broadly satisfied. no idea how i could possibly clear some of that on hard mode though

my only thought right now is this - zack's final line suggests the trilogy is applying the concept of "reunion" not just to jenova's fragments but also to convergent realities. that's the breadcrumb square's tossing us for rebirth - cloud really did divert sephiroth's blade but our reality snapped back to the one where she died anyway (which might partly be why he's cackling like a maniac), and there's a possibility that the reality corkscrew everyone's undertaking might be able to lead her back home

either way, i figured that she'd either die or live, or as a distant runner-up that they'd do some vague metaphysical cliffhanger. didn't predict all three happening at once

e: further, the reason sephiroth - the "true" sephiroth encountered at the end of remake - is so invested in cloud is that his perspective lies at the nexus of different worlds just as seph's and aerith's do. cloud's basically suffering a slaughterhouse-five experience but through alternate timelines instead of his own personal history, now haunted by both a malignant specter and a benevolent one just as the party's beleaguered by the black and white whispers

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 16, 2024