Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hooman posted:

Woolies is no better, it all comes from the award, same pay for same work should be a bedrock of industrial relations law and instead it's gently caress you if you're under 20.

But they are giving them so much valuable exploitation experience! That's worth a discount surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Scott Morrison’s farewell Shire dinner canned amid lack of RSVPs - Sydney Morning Herald

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 15, 2024

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Scott Morrison’s farewell Shire dinner canned amid lack of RSVPs - Sydney Morning Herald

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I heard that 10 ministers were going to be attending.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
the dinner was overbooked but if turns out all the bookings were Scott

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Non Compos Mentis posted:

lets integrate dutton into the grid
No! My grid is not for toxic shits.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
your grid is safe cartoon

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Went into the Lions Den of Libertarians last night. Their senator John Ruddick was talking poo poo on twitter, asked for a debate, and Jack the Insider was the only one to take him up on it. Jack wrote me a reference when I got arrested over the UAP thing so I hopped on my bike and went down to support. We can either give in to the increasing silo-ification of our society, or we can try and have dialogue, and I think where possible we should aim for the latter.

The format sucked. It wasn’t a debate, there wasn’t even a specific motion, it was just “Covid! Vaccines! Discuss”. 1 x 20 minute speech each, with a handful of audience questions at the end. Cool room though.

The covid stuff didn’t seem fruitful so I put that aside and tried to cut to the chase by asking how he would propose to solve the problem of corruption in the pharmaceutical industry within a capitalistic framework, and he basically said “ratings agencies”. Sadly there wasn’t enough time to unpick the absurdity of that cos the chair shut it down at 7:30 on the dot.

Somehow we all ended up at the same pub afterwards, both sides in their own camps just chatting poo poo amongst ourselves. I half-heartedly suggested that we should be over there talking to them. That was supposed to be the whole point of the evening, to open lines of communication between a culture divided. But they seemed like a pretty insufferable bunch, so it was hard to summon the will.

Eventually one of us did go over and start talking to John at the bar, and I followed in solidarity shortly after to try and continue the conversation we’d started at the thing. He tried talking about the details of the pace of vaccine roll out, I asked ok so what’s your background, he said he was a mortgage broker, and I’m like, ok, so absent any medical qualifications this conversation isn’t really worth continuing then is it.

Ruddick is an idiot, a blustering suit just reciting talking points. But another guy stood up and he seemed a lot sharper and we quickly got into the meat of it.

He’s a tax nerd, fundamentally. His whole thing is looking at the ATO data and analysing impact on government revenue. And he thinks that when Tony Abbott increased the top marginal tax rate (from 47 to 49 I think?), the overall government revenue went down. Because the people affected changed their reporting behaviour to avoid paying that extra 2%.

My fundamental question was “how do we stop corporations from doing harm”, and his answer was “with competition”.

That didn’t really make sense, so I asked how competition stops a coal plant from polluting a river, for example, and his answer was “well who owns the river”. Also the Koch brothers had thrown him some money at some point, but he's not rich, and they're mostly about religion supposedly.

Another guy came up to say bye to his mate. Turns out the tax-nerd I’d been talking to was the founder of the whole party, and this guy was the was the treasurer and the de facto president or something. He mentioned this candidate they were thinking of running in the Victorian senate who was going to be “controversial”. He pointed to me and asked his mate “can we trust this guy” and his mate was like “lol no he's a communist”, but I said who gives a poo poo it’s all going happen one way or another, why is your guy controversial, you mean like culture-war stuff?
“Nah, he’s just been in jail”
“Oh, ok”.
"That's not the problem though, we don't care about drug dealers, it's all the other poo poo he's done."
"... Ah."

By that stage we were a fair few pints in and doing our best to keep it on the rails. The quality of the discourse had been surprisingly reasonable so we quit while we were ahead, said our farewells and headed out into the rain. Got the last ferry back up the river to ride the T-way home.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 15, 2024

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Another guy came up to say bye to his mate. Turns out the guy I’d been talking to was the founder of the whole party, and this guy was the was the treasurer and the de facto president or something. He mentioned this candidate they were thinking of running in the Victorian senate who was going to be “controversial”. He pointed to me and asked his mate “can we trust this guy” and his mate was like “lol no he's a communist”, but I said who gives a poo poo it’s all going happen one way or another, why is your guy controversial, you mean like culture-war stuff?
“Nah, he’s just been in jail”
“Oh, ok”.
"That's not the problem though, we don't care about drug dealers, it's all the other poo poo he's done."
"... Ah."

way to bury the lead, this is actually interesting

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...4ae2d09076d8da6

the obvious guess would be that the libertarians are going to run this guy as their vic senate candidate next year - he's their current federal party secretary and lives in victoria. he's a former president of the young liberals who did extensive fraud as a travel agent and has a bunch of drug trafficking offenses.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
What is the charge? doing a fraud? a succulent extensive fraud?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/PatMesiti/status/1768457039079247878

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

look at pat pull out the boomer whistle right there. that's unfair. they can't resist johnny.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
hes got a real unfortunate head shape going on there with his hair

it looks like a pimple

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Free! Live? Event with ex PM John Howard!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

That'd be the one I guess.

That policy sounds like a reasonable idea at least.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hambeet posted:

look at pat pull out the boomer whistle right there. that's unfair. they can't resist johnny.

you’re still writing him on your ballots

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I didn't realise we had a new thread and thought the thread was locked BC forum mods didn't want to deal with it while amidav was sick it never occurred to me that screaming llama locked it lmao

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I checked my mail for the first time this week and quite frankly it repulses me to admit the lnps election poo poo for the bcc council elections was very engaging as a deadshit with addiction issues

hrm ok that is a pretty funny picture of jono but so far its just standard conflating labor and greens poo poo.

wait wait wait hold on my lizard brain is kicking in i know what to do here. I was born for this

gently caress I was really hoping for 3 "defund the police" gently caress this

I think if I have any critiques its that they should have given each card a 3 of whatever boogeyman they think will play best with the electorate so you feel like you've won something

Also it shows a surprising amount of conceptual intelligence that whoever designed this thought to have "LABOR" just be unable to be scratched off no matter what. I mean I haven't paid much attention to polling but I legitimately thought maybe labor had a chance of unseating schrinner as mayor given how long LNP have held the office for with no major policy wins to brag about but tbh this feels like insanely good marketing to swing voters

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 15, 2024

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

That is the most normal thing I have ever seen

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Also it shows a surprising amount of conceptual intelligence that whoever designed this thought to have "LABOR" just be unable to be scratched off no matter what.

I agree, that's on the sales team at the scratchy company though

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm genuinely amazed scratchie technology is so advanced that you can make part of it so much harder to scratch off that it will stick around until the rest is taken off, what an age we live in

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

QLD Police? A well loved institution in the Brisbane metro area.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I watched 4 beat cops stroll right past a situation on public property very obviously at risk of erupting into a brawl at work tonight lol

E: realistically in hindsight that was probably for the best. Maybe police should just do that all the time.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 15, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I watched 4 beat cops stroll right past a situation on public property very obviously at risk of erupting into a brawl at work tonight lol

E: realistically in hindsight that was probably for the best. Maybe police should just do that all the time.

In an ideal world they'd step in to use de-escalation skills to prevent anything bad from happening.

In the real world they were probably in a rush because they heard a poor person hadn't been sufficiently beaten nearby.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I checked my mail for the first time this week and quite frankly it repulses me to admit the lnps election poo poo for the bcc council elections was very engaging as a deadshit with addiction issues

hrm ok that is a pretty funny picture of jono but so far its just standard conflating labor and greens poo poo.

wait wait wait hold on my lizard brain is kicking in i know what to do here. I was born for this

gently caress I was really hoping for 3 "defund the police" gently caress this

I think if I have any critiques its that they should have given each card a 3 of whatever boogeyman they think will play best with the electorate so you feel like you've won something

Also it shows a surprising amount of conceptual intelligence that whoever designed this thought to have "LABOR" just be unable to be scratched off no matter what. I mean I haven't paid much attention to polling but I legitimately thought maybe labor had a chance of unseating schrinner as mayor given how long LNP have held the office for with no major policy wins to brag about but tbh this feels like insanely good marketing to swing voters

oh no higher pet rego

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

hooman posted:

Dutton disparaging CSIRO.

I noted when the LNP said they support nuclear, that the ABC done a hit job on nuclear power. Saying that it is the most expensive by CSIRO studies (which used the economics of a cancelled prototype SMR reactor in the US for the costs (with the economics they used to cancel it as opposed to plants built in South Korea, UAE, etc), that the there is not a lot of support for nuclear, that some guy said renewables were the cheapest way to get power (up to certain amount assuming un-invented technology will cover the gap in dispatchable power). That's there not enough time to build out a complete nuclear industry in Australia by 2030 (despite there being no question that Australia will have more gas in 2030).

Basically, the ABC demonstrated its ideological opposition to nuclear. Yet when the discussion of why Nuclear has suffered under such resistance that has pushed up its costs, the O&G industry conspiracy is invoked as to why it had to be shuttered in Germany, can't get ahead in Australia, etc.

Dutton is a wanker and seemed to faf the most egregarious parts of that CSIRO report. It is obvious it was put together by someone that is idelogically opposed to nuclear. Him being completely all at sea for the most simple of questions is expected and just shows the depth of talent in the LNP.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I noted when the LNP said they support nuclear, that the ABC done a hit job on nuclear power. Saying that it is the most expensive by CSIRO studies (which used the economics of a cancelled prototype SMR reactor in the US for the costs (with the economics they used to cancel it as opposed to plants built in South Korea, UAE, etc), that the there is not a lot of support for nuclear, that some guy said renewables were the cheapest way to get power (up to certain amount assuming un-invented technology will cover the gap in dispatchable power). That's there not enough time to build out a complete nuclear industry in Australia by 2030 (despite there being no question that Australia will have more gas in 2030).

Basically, the ABC demonstrated its ideological opposition to nuclear. Yet when the discussion of why Nuclear has suffered under such resistance that has pushed up its costs, the O&G industry conspiracy is invoked as to why it had to be shuttered in Germany, can't get ahead in Australia, etc.

Dutton is a wanker and seemed to faf the most egregarious parts of that CSIRO report. It is obvious it was put together by someone that is idelogically opposed to nuclear. Him being completely all at sea for the most simple of questions is expected and just shows the depth of talent in the LNP.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-07/peter-dutton-david-littleproud-coalition-nuclear-reactors/102574782

quote:

The opposition leader said nuclear reactors called small modular reactors (SMRs) could easily be placed on the sites of coal-fired power plants, like the recently-decommissioned Liddell power station in New South Wales.

Real loving mystery why the ABC is using the SMR data here.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I doubt the LNP will lose. They have spent millions on this election whereas Labor have only spent thousands.

I don't know why but Labor always runs dead in BCC elections. My highest expectation is the Greens become official opposition.

My wildcard guess is Sri or Labor win Lord Mayor off preferences but only 60% of BCC voters actually allocate preferences from the 2020 election so it's basically a liberal monopoly with what is essentially a fptp system doing it's magic for conservatives.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

I just came back from voting. I am in the Tennyson ward and our councilor is Nicole Johnston who has been in the position since 2008 and interestingly she is an independent. She also gets kicked out of council chambers a whole bunch of times. I preferenced her after voting 1 to Greens and put LNP last. Not sure how things will go in my ward but I did notice where I voted there were as many LNP supporters handing out HTV cards as the rest of the other parties combined.

lih
May 15, 2013

Anidav posted:

I doubt the LNP will lose. They have spent millions on this election whereas Labor have only spent thousands.

I don't know why but Labor always runs dead in BCC elections. My highest expectation is the Greens become official opposition.

My wildcard guess is Sri or Labor win Lord Mayor off preferences but only 60% of BCC voters actually allocate preferences from the 2020 election so it's basically a liberal monopoly with what is essentially a fptp system doing it's magic for conservatives.

labor's actually been spending nearly as much as the lnp according to the official disclosures, though you certainly wouldn't know it outside a few wards like northgate? they're certainly not trying very hard in general

i don't think lnp will lose mayor but they might lose control of council if it's a good day for the greens, who will gain a few wards at minimum, and may propel labor into winning a few via preferences. there's also a few close lnp/labor wards that labor may be able to pick up despite their lacklustre campaign. i have to assume labor likes to have an lnp council as a scapegoat and doesn't think anything council does really matters.

near-certain greens gains:
walter-taylor
paddington

likely greens gain:
coorparoo

possible greens gain:
central

very likely either greens or labor gain, more likely labor:
enoggera

possible labor gains:
northgate
calamvale
marchant

then on a really bad night for the lnp you might see a ward like holland park fall (to either labor or greens, more likely labor), and there's a miniscule chance pullenvale works out for the greens, but i don't expect it to be a really bad night for the lnp, only sort of bad?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

lih posted:

labor's actually been spending nearly as much as the lnp according to the official disclosures, though you certainly wouldn't know it outside a few wards like northgate? they're certainly not trying very hard in general

i don't think lnp will lose mayor but they might lose control of council if it's a good day for the greens, who will gain a few wards at minimum, and may propel labor into winning a few via preferences. there's also a few close lnp/labor wards that labor may be able to pick up despite their lacklustre campaign. i have to assume labor likes to have an lnp council as a scapegoat and doesn't think anything council does really matters.

near-certain greens gains:
walter-taylor
paddington

likely greens gain:
coorparoo

possible greens gain:
central

very likely either greens or labor gain, more likely labor:
enoggera

possible labor gains:
northgate
calamvale
marchant

then on a really bad night for the lnp you might see a ward like holland park fall (to either labor or greens, more likely labor), and there's a miniscule chance pullenvale works out for the greens, but i don't expect it to be a really bad night for the lnp, only sort of bad?
The polling done indicated a 10 percent swing to the greens for lord Mayor but it's come off Labor rather than the LNP.

Most polling done still has Schrinner on 40 to 45%

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I regret to report it's time to take the Holly Valance posters down from the walls of our childhood bedrooms.

https://x.com/WillKingston/status/1768816213520507105?s=20

Obligatory reminder that this is a product of the toxic disinformation machine.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Why does anyone care about what Holly Valance thinks in TYOOL 2014? Let alone 2024?

lih
May 15, 2013

Anidav posted:

The polling done indicated a 10 percent swing to the greens for lord Mayor but it's come off Labor rather than the LNP.

Most polling done still has Schrinner on 40 to 45%

the single public poll had a 1% swing against the lnp in the mayoral race, 5% swing against labor, and 6% swing to the greens, which would easily retain it for the lnp yeah, so it would be a huge shock if they lost the mayoralty.

wards are a much more interesting story though and that same poll suggests lnp will lose at least a few.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

I regret to report it's time to take the Holly Valance posters down from the walls of our childhood bedrooms.

It’s probably a product of her being married to a British billionaire

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

the perfect T-shirt doesn't exis-

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

“Why would you bother going to your music lesson if we’re all going to be dead in five years. No I don’t want to address the question of whether or not there’s a real crisis so bad that it might depress children. I just want people to shut up about it”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Maybe be a good mother and pump up the kids tyres and show her hope idk. Being a miserable shithead probably isn't helping.