Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Kalit posted:

Biden has consistently pushed back against Netanyahu's public desire to govern/take over Gaza.

Gonna need a better explanation. It sure seems disconnected with what anyone reasonable person would consider pushing back.

Dismissing this as a “conspiracy theory” when it is an obvious reason that the US would invest this amount of resources and Israel’s okay indicates this is one reason they’d allow it, while you’re pushing the conspiracy that actually behind the scenes Biden is secretly trying to help the people of Gaza seems like your picking and choosing what lines to read into.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh that’s what Israel is using all those weapons for

Correct, that is what Biden thinks/wants Israel to use the weapons for.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Gonna need a better explanation. It sure seems disconnected with what anyone reasonable person would consider pushing back.

Dismissing this as a “conspiracy theory” when it is an obvious reason that the US would invest this amount of resources and Israel’s okay indicates this is one reason they’d allow it, while you’re pushing the conspiracy that actually behind the scenes Biden is secretly trying to help the people of Gaza seems like your picking and choosing what lines to read into.

"Behind the scenes"/"secretly"? He's been outspoken about wanting to get aid to Gaza. That's about the furthest thing from a conspiracy that you can get.

Meanwhile, what's your evidence about the US being likely to use this aid port to remove all Palestinians from Gaza? And to get ahead of it, something like "because Israel wants it" is not evidence since the US doesn't do literally everything that Israel wants. Otherwise, Palestine would have been completely taken over by Israel a long time ago.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 15, 2024

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kalit posted:

so your argument is that Biden is just, like, stone-cold stupid?

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

The goal of the United States is the ethnic cleansing of Gaza. You can tell this because the United States is funding and arming the nation performing the ethnic cleansing, and using military assets in its defense. Additionally, they are blocking international action trying to stop it. These actions all have huge levels of bipartisan support in the US government. It’s pretty straightforward.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Hey Kalit while it's still your turn to kramer into the thread and defend genocide, can you please address why we should not be doing everything up to and including using overwhelming military force to sweep the state of Israel into the dustbin of history?

We have a nuclear armed and rabidly expansionistic rogue state founded by an incestous coalition of religious fanatics, dead eyed imperialists, and no-poo poo Nazi collaborators. That for longer than we have been alive, has been engaged in a prolonged campaign of rape, massacre and genocide against any who have the termerity to oppose them. Before I see another goddamn mealy-mouthed word of hasbara from you I want you to explicitly and affirmatively make the case for this abomination. No more running away. Do it you bloodthirsty coward.

E: Irony be my shield, I know it's not your turn to poo poo up the thread but I'd like to see you address this poo poo too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quantum Cat fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 15, 2024

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Quantum Cat posted:

overwhelming military force to sweep the state of Israel into the dustbin of history?

nuclear armed

Obviously not going to step into your conflict with Kalit but you answered your own question there. Even if the US' finally decided it was time to end this tomorrow we're not exactly going to roll up our carrier groups to go get nuked. It's also unlikely that Israel wouldn't just threaten to hit London or something if their existence was threatened.

Look at the difference between the fate Afghanistan suffered compared to Pakistan, even though we basically would've had just as much (bad, I'm not defending the Afghanistan war by drawing this comparison) reason to launch a full scale invasion and regime change. Instead we settled for drone strikes, limited border skirmishes and sovereignty violations. No nuclear armed state has ever faced a military attack with the intent to dismantle or change the regime.

Anyway in news, Hamas put forward another ceasefire deal with a staged approach, something Israel wanted to see when they responded to an earlier offer. Predictably, they are still calling it unrealistic even though it's by far their most timid proposal to date:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/3/15/hamas-new-gaza-truce-proposal-outlines-exchange-of-captives-for-prisoners

Israel says they'll actually send people to the next round, I suspect it's just to appease the State department for the next issue:
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/aid-ship-reaches-gaza-coast-israel-rejects-hamas-truce-offer-2024-03-15/

Israel has finalized plans to go into Rafah, expect the state department and Biden to complain and then not block any arms transfers anyway as the "Israeli government is showing good faith negotiating" or something:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/15/netanyahu-approves-plans-for-rafah-attack-israeli-officials-say

The US is preparing a UNSC resolution, it'll be interesting to see how much they muddy the language or not:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-locks-un-resolution-backing-efforts-broker-gaza-truce-2024-03-14/

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
Isn't Israel having nuclear weapons an unproven conspiracy theory? Why should Biden take that threat seriously?

That's a lot of "shoulds" and "is believed," and the US doesn't recognize that it does, so it's a conspiracy theory at present. If it is a threat, shouldn't the President of the U.S. demand inspections at the very least, and cut funding if it doesn't comply? It seems like the least Biden could do, and it's weird that he isn't, if this theory has any basis to it.

Unless you're implying the US is tied up in a conspiracy that Biden is upholding?

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 15, 2024

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

mawarannahr posted:

Isn't Israel having nuclear weapons an unproven conspiracy theory?

no?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_weapons_and_Israel

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kalit posted:

Biden has consistently pushed back against Netanyahu's public desire to govern/take over Gaza. Stop trying to start a conspiracy about how this aid port thing is actually going to be used to help Israel to do exactly that

Applying scrutiny to the government's stated goals and thinking that they may have ulterior motives is not a conspiracy theory.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
It’s not a conspiracy theory to say Israel has nukes just because the US govt won’t outright say it. Israel doesn’t even deny it (or confirm it). It’s just politically inconvenient for the US or Israel to outright say it, due to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty among other things.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

mawarannahr posted:

Isn't Israel having nuclear weapons an unproven conspiracy theory? Why should Biden take that threat seriously?

That's a lot of "shoulds" and "is believed," and the US doesn't recognize that it does, so it's a conspiracy theory at present. If it is a threat, shouldn't the President of the U.S. demand inspections at the very least, and cut funding if it doesn't comply? It seems like the least Biden could do, and it's weird that he isn't, if this theory has any basis to it.

Unless you're implying the US is tied up in a conspiracy that Biden is upholding?
Here are declassified documents from the LBJ, Nixon, and Ford administrations on the US government's knowledge of Israeli nuclear weapons program. The result of research published in that notorious conspiracy theory rag, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.

To sum up the situation in two parts:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Rebel Blob posted:

Here are declassified documents from the LBJ, Nixon, and Ford administrations on the US government's knowledge of Israeli nuclear weapons program. The result of research published in that notorious conspiracy theory rag, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.

To sum up the situation in two parts:

Thanks. That sounds pretty bad. They should stop sending any weapons.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

If you consider the belief of everyone who studies nuclear weapons, along with a ton of supporting physical and circumstantial evidence which details the progress of their program and supporting infrastructure to be an unproven conspiracy theory then yes

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00963402.2021.2014239

mawarannahr posted:

Thanks. That sounds pretty bad. They should stop sending any weapons.

e: didn't see this before posting. Also sorry my tone was a little much I think.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Kagrenak posted:

If you consider the belief of everyone who studies nuclear weapons, along with a ton of supporting physical and circumstantial evidence which details the progress of their program and supporting infrastructure to be an unproven conspiracy theory then yes

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00963402.2021.2014239

e: didn't see this before posting. Also sorry my tone was a little much I think.

It's pretty amazing what Israel gets away with thanks to the enduring support of the US.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

It's pretty amazing what Israel gets away with thanks to the enduring support of the US.

I agree with your sentiment but don't think this one really applies given the context of proliferation at the time, as well as that it seems credible the US didn't know until it was done. They developed their nuclear capacity during the pre and immediately post-NPT period where plenty of states were doing it and not suffering much in the way of consequences. India, Pakistan and South Africa all developed capacities around that time without the same level of US support or baking, or similar levels of USSR support. None of them faced new sanctions for it at the time, either.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Kagrenak posted:

I agree with your sentiment but don't think this one really applies given the context of proliferation at the time, as well as that it seems credible the US didn't know until it was done. They developed their nuclear capacity during the pre and immediately post-NPT period where plenty of states were doing it and not suffering much in the way of consequences. India, Pakistan and South Africa all developed capacities around that time without the same level of US support or baking, or similar levels of USSR support. None of them faced new sanctions for it at the time, either.
Guess who Apartheid South Africa was working with on their nuke program!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vela_incident

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

cat botherer posted:

Guess who Apartheid South Africa was working with on their nuke program!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vela_incident

Yeah it's also probably likely that Israel couldn't have acquired as much uranium nearly as easily for its arsenal without the deepening of ties to apartheid era South Africa.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Is there any writing on influence/lack of influence of South African apartheid system/ideology on the development of Israeli caste system/ideology? I typically understand everything wrong with Israel as the inevitable conclusion to "land without a people" ideology in a land that is, in fact, full of people. Basically that this is the only road Zionism could have taken once executed in Palestine - but maybe that's discounting the influence of ally states in forming the current regime?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Kagrenak posted:

Yeah it's also probably likely that Israel couldn't have acquired as much uranium nearly as easily for its arsenal without the deepening of ties to apartheid era South Africa.

Didn't the US interfere with the Congo because of they had the biggest uranium deposits in the world. Israel has some soldiers in the Congo for 'reasons'.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Marenghi posted:

Didn't the US interfere with the Congo because of they had the biggest uranium deposits in the world. Israel has some soldiers in the Congo for 'reasons'.

Something like this happened, probably back in the OSS days yeah, they were one of the first places with known exploitable uranium ore:

https://fnl.mit.edu/january-februar...a-and-nagasaki/

Their modern day reserves aren't anything notable compared to a good number of other countries though, and plenty of them have historically produced more. It's unlikely the US was needing to keep these sorts of things up for long after WW2 and domestic reserves were found, though lack of necessity has never stopped the US from meddling before:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_uranium_reserves

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Is there any writing on influence/lack of influence of South African apartheid system/ideology on the development of Israeli caste system/ideology? I typically understand everything wrong with Israel as the inevitable conclusion to "land without a people" ideology in a land that is, in fact, full of people. Basically that this is the only road Zionism could have taken once executed in Palestine - but maybe that's discounting the influence of ally states in forming the current regime?

I'd be interested in this too, but my general understanding was not so much that South Africa influenced Israel this way (or vice versa) but that they both recognized that they were running similar ideologies and systems and so made common cause. I've read some previously about the long relationship but not much on the influence each country had on the other's internal politics, which might be interesting if there's a good book on it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i recall reading quotes from Israeli officials who said they directly based the organization and admin if the West Bank on the bantustans. Someone must have a source on this.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Kalit posted:

It's great that you have intimate knowledge of Biden's true thoughts and desires, but the rest of us don't and are forced to judge by his actions, so given that:

1) Israel's clear goal is the removal of Palestinians from Gaza

2) Biden has not attempted in any way to prevent Israel from doing anything they want, and has repeatedly said there are no red lines

It's completely reasonable to at least speculate that if Israel were to try and use the port to expel Palestinians, that Biden would do absolutely nothing to stop this.

A question for you Kalit, do you behind Biden should face a trial in the ICJ or ICC for his complicity in supporting and enabling a genocide? If not, why not?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

punishedkissinger posted:

i recall reading quotes from Israeli officials who said they directly based the organization and admin if the West Bank on the bantustans. Someone must have a source on this.
I too have read about this, but can’t find sources either. As you say, it was based on the obvious similarities of running ethnostates that necessarily must separate large portions of their population. South Africa would have been a compelling model, given that it was a relatively tiny minority (much smaller than the Jewish population share of Israel and Palestine) ruling over a vast racial underclass while maintaining a remarkable degree of stability.

(the stability was remarkable, but that’s not to say it was good)

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Quantum Cat posted:

Hey Kalit while it's still your turn to kramer into the thread and defend genocide, can you please address why we should not be doing everything up to and including using overwhelming military force to sweep the state of Israel into the dustbin of history?

We have a nuclear armed and rabidly expansionistic rogue state founded by an incestous coalition of religious fanatics, dead eyed imperialists, and no-poo poo Nazi collaborators. That for longer than we have been alive, has been engaged in a prolonged campaign of rape, massacre and genocide against any who have the termerity to oppose them. Before I see another goddamn mealy-mouthed word of hasbara from you I want you to explicitly and affirmatively make the case for this abomination. No more running away. Do it you bloodthirsty coward.

E: Irony be my shield, I know it's not your turn to poo poo up the thread but I'd like to see you address this poo poo too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Of course genocide deniers are getting away scot free and person who calls them out got probated because reasons.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
We will not be turning this thread into a moderation discussion shitshow.

Contact koos or admins or, heck, we have the feedback thread open. Or SAD, I suppose. I think the feedback thread is a better choice but if you decide the moderation of this thread is for SAD that's a you decision.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

he's just so calm and reasonable, you don't want to probate people who are posting calmly reasonably

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Here is more shameful behaviour from a western country. Funny you don’t hear much about this.

quote:

The Labyrinthine Nightmare of Canada's Palestinian Family Reunification Program
Zero Palestinians from Gaza have arrived in Canada under its temporary visa program, including relatives Mahmoud Al-Astal is trying to bring to Calgary.

JEREMY APPEL
MAR 15, 2024

The remains of a home in Rafah pictured after Israel’s first war on Gaza in 2008/09. During the current war, 70% of the homes in Gaza have been destroyed. (Flickr/RafahKid Kid)
Tl;dr

Not one Palestinian from Gaza who applied for Canada’s temporary visa program has arrived in Canada.
The program’s application requires people to disclose information including every job they’ve had since they were 16, and any injuries or scars and how they got them, before their applications are sent to Israeli authorities for approval.

Mahmoud Al-Astal, a Calgarian who came to Canada from Gaza in 2017, says Palestinian visa applicants face an additional barrier of getting into Egypt to have their biometrics taken at the Canadian embassy, yet they cannot enter Egypt legally without the visa they’re trying to obtain.
Gazans whose families have paid thousands of dollars to get them into Egypt say they’ve heard nothing from Canadian authorities.

At the beginning of the year, the Canadian government announced that it would allow 1,000 Palestinians fleeing Israeli bombs and bullets in Gaza to stay with family in Canada for up to three years.

Since then, 986 people from Gaza have completed the application process, out of which a dozen have been approved. Yet, as of writing, zero Palestinians fleeing Gaza have arrived in Canada.

Contrast this with the Ukrainian emergency visa program, which had no limit on the number of applications, resulting in the approval of almost a million Ukrainians, of which just 250,000 arrived.

But the difference isn’t only quantitative. The visa application process for Palestinians is “strikingly different than what is ordinarily required for a visitor visa application” and is even more stringent than a permanent residency application, according to Toronto-based immigration lawyer Pantea Jafari.

Applicants are expected to list every job they’ve had since they were 16, with full details about their roles, responsibilities and any disciplinary issues; every address they’ve lived at; links to all their social media accounts; and, most appallingly for people fleeing what the International Court of Justice says might amount to genocide, any injuries or scars that have required medical attention and how they got them.

The sponsoring relative has to attest that they’re not on welfare, will be able to sponsor them privately and pay all the required application fees, which were waived for Ukrainians.

Once the applicant has provided all these details, they receive a code to apply for a visa. But at the same time, their applications are sent to Israeli authorities — the same people entering the sixth month of bombing and starving them — for a background check.

While they await the go-ahead from Israel, they have to figure a way to get out of Gaza, which is under a stringent Israeli and Egyptian blockade.

This often requires paying a bribe, ranging anywhere from $4,000 to $10,000 (USD) per person to get onto the Egyptian side of the border, with the cost growing daily as the situation in Gaza grows more dire.

Mahmoud Al-Astal has helped settle dozens of refugee families of various nationalities in Calgary since he arrived as a refugee from Gaza in 2017; now he’s navigating the labyrinthine process of getting his family from Gaza to Calgary.

He said he’s never seen a visa application process like this one.

“It’s one of the worst applications you could ever see in your life,” said Al-Astal, who founded the Bridges Association for Newcomers in 2021. “It drives you crazy. Like, come on, guys.”

He said it’s not just Ukrainian refugees who were welcomed to Canada in a way that sharply contrasted with Palestinians.

Canadian authorities immediately prioritized visa applications and waived certain fees for people fleeing Sudan’s brutal civil war, in which 14,000 people have been killed and 8 million have been displaced since April 2023, with no cap on the number of people accepted for temporary residency — similar to the program for Ukrainian refugees.

More recently, the government announced it will accept applications from upwards of 3,250 Sudanese-Canadians to obtain permanent residency for their Sudanese relatives — a program whose limitations and lack of support for applicants have been likened to the temporary visa program for Gazans as “inadequate and discriminatory.”

But for all the Sudanese program’s inadequacies, Al-Astal said the program for Gazans is even worse, borne out by the fact that not a single Palestinian has made it into the country.

The Palestinian visa program’s stringency has been defended on national security grounds.

But even if one accepts that the prospect of Hamas leaders using a temporary visa to flee to Canada is real, one could make the same case of Ukraine’s neo-Nazi Azov Battalion or Sudan’s Rapid Support Forces, yet neither Ukrainian nor Sudanese refugees face the same barriers as Palestinian refugees.

“It is a very, very small share of the population that is, in any conflict, involved in human rights violations and radical ideologies," immigration lawyer Aidan Simardone told the CBC.

It’s only Palestinians who are expected to prove that they’re not violent extremists before they’re even considered for entry into Canada, criminalizing them before they even arrive in Canada — if they ever arrive at all.

Al-Astal has a large family. He said he’s lost at least 225 relatives in the Israeli onslaught — a microcosm of the 31,000 Palestinians killed in Gaza since Oct. 7, when Palestinian fighters killed 1,200 Israelis and took 250 hostages.

Prior to Oct. 7, Al-Astal had five siblings, his father-in-law and father living in Gaza, spread between Gaza City, Rafah, Khan Yunis, Gaza City and Beit Lahia.

All their homes have either been confirmed, or are strongly suspected of being, among the 300,000 homes that have been razed — 70% of the enclave’s total housing — since the war began.

Al-Astal provided The Orchard with video of what remains of the house, which he, his brothers and father helped build, and neighbourhood where he was raised in Khan Yunis.

“All our memories were there,” he said.

Al-Astal applied as soon as he was able for eight of his in-laws and 34 of his own relatives to come to Canada “so that they can start a new life.”

When he spoke to The Orchard on March 8, only his wife’s side of the family had received their application code, but they face a catch-22.

In order to get a Canadian visa, Palestinians need to go to the nearest embassy to have their biometrics entered. If you’re in Gaza, that embassy is in Cairo, Egypt.

But the Egyptian authorities will only let them across the border, at least through official channels, if they have a valid Canadian visa, so they remain stuck in the overcrowded border city of Rafah, which is expected to face an Israeli invasion in short order.

Al-Astal said he suggested an “easy solution” to the Ministry of Immigration, Citizenship and Refugees. They could simply take the biometric machine to the Rafah crossing to process applicants in Gaza.

“That’s it. Easy peasy, but we’ve been stuck right now for two months,” he said.

Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Marc Miller said at a March 1 press conference that he had a “polite conversation” with the Israeli ambassador, in which he expressed his “frustration” with the inability to get fleeing Palestinians across the border into Egypt.

“We are all failing Gazans,” Miller said, as if Palestinians like Al-Astal, who are trying to get their families into Canada, are to blame as much as members of the Canadian, Israeli and Egyptian governments.

Afterwards, it appears that Miller “gave up and then nothing happened,” said Al-Astal, who is far from the only Palestinian-Canadian exasperated by the Canadian government’s apparent ineptitude.

A 20-year-old woman from Gaza with a Canadian aunt made it into Egypt in February, after paying $70,000 (CAD) to a private company. But she told The Canadian Press a month later that she hadn’t heard a word from the Canadian government about her family’s visas.

"They fooled us," the aunt, who paid the required application fees, told CP, who didn’t identify either relative to avoid retribution from Canadian or Egyptian authorities.

"There is a big question mark about the level of effort that Canada is putting on this program.”

Rani Hemaid, who lives in Hamilton, paid thousands of dollars to get his parents, brother and niblings into Egypt from Gaza in December.

Since they escaped Gaza before the visa application process began, it’s unclear whether they’re even eligible to come to Canada. But they’ve heard no word from Canadian authorities and are running out of money.

"We look at it, as Palestinian Canadians, that the Canadian government has scammed us, has fooled us," he said. "They do not care about us."

Palestinian-Canadian community organizer Omar Mansour shared this assessment.

“We’re left in limbo to the point where people actually are saying that this is a whole scam, just a PR thing so the government can look good,” he told The Guardian. “It’s like throwing a bone for a dog. It can’t get more dehumanizing than this.”

https://www.readtheorchard.org/p/the-labyrinthine-nightmare-of-canadas

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I'm sorry is Quantum Cat the calm hitler? They're calling for the complete annihilation of a nation state right?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yeah, "sent to Israeli authorities for approval" made my eyes widen. On an extremely macro level, i have very complicated and confused opinions about mass Palestinian refugee programs, bit on a slightly less macro level every refugee in the world (but especially from Gaza, what with the genocide) should be able to get somewhere safe and be humanely treated.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Hong XiuQuan posted:

This is exactly the argument made by white Boer supremacists up until the end of apartheid.

Dog whistle aside, why would any Jewish person fleeing Israel in this fantasy not go to havens in the US and Germany? At least one million Jewish Israelis have dual nationality, the vast majority outside of Arab countries.

You realise that this feeling has been engendered by the utter erasure of their Arab identities, right? That as soon as Arab Jews rocked up to the doors of Israel, they were covered with louse powder or spray, told they couldn't possibly be Arabs, that their backward nature had to be rejudeified etc? The term "Mizrahim" itself is an offensive exonym that was thrust upon them. Their languages are being erased. Their cultural identity denied. And whatever you think about treatment of Arab Jews there's a remarkable coincidence between the rise of Zionism and the status of Arab Jews.

This is still common in Israel. The PM who's spent 16 years out of the last 30 ruling the country talked about the Yemenis in the Golani brigade being ok so long as they were led by white officers. The whole myth of singular, communal "mizrahim" identity has been manufactured to erase any backwards Arab traits etc.

Oh dear. This would need its own thread.

Can't wait for Italians to batter the hell out of the UK because Romans settled here 2,000 years ago.

The rest of your stuff seems to rely on the completely false argument that people here are arguing for eliminating anyone. Kudos?

Actual Mizrahi or Mashriqi if you prefer here, practicing, go to Temple, native tongue is Masri not English, I admire your spirit but lol I know its origins but please do not speak for me, my identity, or what is or isn't being erased about our culture.

Anyways Free Palestine

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Grip it and rip it posted:

I'm sorry is Quantum Cat the calm hitler? They're calling for the complete annihilation of a nation state right?
Israel is an etho-nationalist nation state currently doing a genocide. Calling for an etho-state to no longer exist is not calm-hitlering. Calmly supporting said etho-nation-state doing said genocide is, however.

That said, I don’t think anyone ITT right now is doing a calm hitler, but Kalit’s views on the Biden admin’s intentions WRT to this situation are heavily divergent from other posters’.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

As you know, calling for the dissolution of a state is not in itself genocidal or "calm hitler". You can find very recent discussion of this topic in this thread, which you have probably seen.

Calling for the end of Israel is not genocidal, in exactly the same way it was not genocidal to call for the end of Apartheid South Africa, or the destruction of Nazi Germany.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Esran posted:

As you know, calling for the dissolution of a state is not in itself genocidal or "calm hitler". You can find very recent discussion of this topic in this thread, which you have probably seen.

Calling for the end of Israel is not genocidal, in exactly the same way it was not genocidal to call for the end of Apartheid South Africa, or the destruction of Nazi Germany.

Asking for the destruction of a country, especially using military force, like the atomic bombings of Japan, can absolutely lead to the deaths of millions of innocent people; even if one can argue such acts (such as the strategic bombing campaign during the Korean War) were necessary to bring the war to an end.

As Quantum Cat literally advocated for, word for word, "using overwhelming military force to sweep the state of Israel into the dustbin of history", if in the result of doing so require similar to the Korean war, bombing and destroying every building in Israel, "dehousing" every single Israeli, the death, destruction, and suffering would be essentially equivalent to the genocide happening in Gaza, and would it not be accurate to suggest that both acts could be genocidal in outcome?

If someone advocates for, "I think China should be destroyed, the United States should use overwhelming force to do so" Would you believe that this wouldn't be to put it very mildly, extremely concerning language that shows a disregard for innocent life in pursuit of this goal? (And no, there's no real substantial difference in policy outcomes between China and Israel, every criticism as to why advocating for the destruction of Israel is okay and just, should also apply to China)

At the end of the day, if the strategic bombing campaign in Korea and Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany were all war crimes (as for example, Youtube Shaun claims), then any similar effort against Israel at a minimum likewise requires war crimes to accomplish, and this is before the ethics of forceful annexation of another country and its people without their consent (its worth pointing out that while Nazi Germany while dissolved, ultimately "Germany" still got to continue as its own independent country, two of them even! After a brief period of occupation; that got to democratically decide to join the EEC and the Comecon respectively, and in the 1990s got to democratically choose to merge). And of course the massive suffering millions of ethnic germans went through who were expulsed from regions they had inhabited for centuries, I'm not sure if this is a great model for success that should be instinctively reached for and replicated.

I think personally in my opinion, that while its fine and I have no personal objection to argue for and advocate for a one state solution, calling for this solution to be implemented via the use of force just seems to me like its reckless as a policy goal that's in all probability impossible and just 99% likely to result in at least a prolonged century of sectarian violence, civil war, suffering, famine, terrorism, and continued instability if the Israeli, Druze, and Palistinian inhabitants of the region continue to not "get along".

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
If the state of Israel was dissolved, nobody would make them wait stateless and under foreign military control for 75 years, for comparison.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Adenoid Dan posted:

If the state of Israel was dissolved, nobody would make them wait stateless and under foreign military control for 75 years, for comparison.

A lot of implied qualifiers and assumptions though here, and not at all in line with the post in question was suggesting. If you can get them to voluntarily agree to dissolve themselves after passing a democratic plebiscite then sure, if there's a negotiated process in which guarantees and a new constitution, probably one that makes the same "Distinct Society" guarantees Quebec currently gets to preserve Quebecois French Culture Against the Anglo Menance, then yeah everything would be better, it'd still have problems just as South Africa and Canada still have problems; and as we've seen with Yugoslavia such countries can still not workout and fall apart, but yeah it'd be better.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Asking for the destruction of a country, especially using military force, like the atomic bombings of Japan, can absolutely lead to the deaths of millions of innocent people; even if one can argue such acts (such as the strategic bombing campaign during the Korean War) were necessary to bring the war to an end.

Yes, it can. That doesn't mean that it will or has to.

Raenir Salazar posted:

As Quantum Cat literally advocated for, word for word, "using overwhelming military force to sweep the state of Israel into the dustbin of history", if in the result of doing so require similar to the Korean war, bombing and destroying every building in Israel, "dehousing" every single Israeli, the death, destruction, and suffering would be essentially equivalent to the genocide happening in Gaza, and would it not be accurate to suggest that both acts could be genocidal in outcome?

There is no reason to assume any of these things, so no, it would not be accurate to draw a comparison between a war on Israel and the genocide in Gaza. There is no reason to assume that a war on Israel would require "destroying every building in Israel" or "dehousing every single Israeli".

Raenir Salazar posted:

If someone advocates for, "I think China should be destroyed, the United States should use overwhelming force to do so" Would you believe that this wouldn't be to put it very mildly, extremely concerning language that shows a disregard for innocent life in pursuit of this goal? (And no, there's no real substantial difference in policy outcomes between China and Israel, every criticism as to why advocating for the destruction of Israel is okay and just, should also apply to China)

I'm sure you believe this, but China and Israel are not remotely equivalent. I think your accusation of "showing disregard for innocent life" is ridiculous, considering we're talking about stopping a genocide. The same exact argument could be made to argue that the Soviet invasion of Nazi Germany was wrong. Is that the position you're taking?

Raenir Salazar posted:

At the end of the day, if the strategic bombing campaign in Korea and Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany were all war crimes (as for example, Youtube Shaun claims), then any similar effort against Israel at a minimum likewise requires war crimes to accomplish, and this is before the ethics of forceful annexation of another country and its people without their consent (its worth pointing out that while Nazi Germany while dissolved, ultimately "Germany" still got to continue as its own independent country, two of them even! After a brief period of occupation; that got to democratically decide to join the EEC and the Comecon respectively, and in the 1990s got to democratically choose to merge). And of course the massive suffering millions of ethnic germans went through who were expulsed from regions they had inhabited for centuries, I'm not sure if this is a great model for success that should be instinctively reached for and replicated.

I don't want to get into a whole thing about "Youtube Shaun", but I think you have not understood the argument against strategic bombing. The argument against strategic bombing wasn't simply that it was a war crime. It was that it was ineffective at its stated goals (demoralizing the enemy) and inefficient at other goals (destroying military infrastructure), and was therefore ultimately unnecessary.

So why would that kind of bombing be necessary against Israel, when it wasn't necessary in these other wars?

I think I'll let your assertion that Nazi Germany was treated too harshly speak for itself. But even if you believe a light touch is needed, that's not an argument against war on Israel. Nazi Germany doesn't turn into West Germany without a war to defeat them first.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think personally in my opinion, that while its fine and I have no personal objection to argue for and advocate for a one state solution, calling for this solution to be implemented via the use of force just seems to me like its reckless as a policy goal that's in all probability impossible and just 99% likely to result in at least a prolonged century of sectarian violence, civil war, suffering, famine, terrorism, and continued instability if the Israeli, Druze, and Palistinian inhabitants of the region continue to not "get along".

We've seen this sentiment a few times in this thread, and at this point I think I'll just be straight and tell you that this is a disgusting viewpoint and ignores what this conflict actually is. It is not them "not getting along".

When you refer to a "prolonged century of sectarian violence" as a result of forcing Israel's hand, I assume you mean in opposition to a shorter period of sectarian violence until Israel completes the killing or ethnic cleansing of the Palestinians? Because that's Israel's plan.

Edit:

Raenir Salazar posted:

If you can get them to voluntarily agree to dissolve themselves after passing a democratic plebiscite then sure

Cool, so the opinions of the Israelis are the only thing that matters here, and the Palestinians can just die.

Esran fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 16, 2024

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Calling for the complete and total dismantling of the apartheid Israeli ethnostate through the swift and overwhelming application of peace and good vibes.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
demanding it's dismantling it through international pressure and sanctions is more realistic, is what most palestinian groups are asking for, and doesn't make you look like some kind of weirdo/dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Esran posted:

Yes, it can. That doesn't mean that it will or has to.

There are few if any wars throughout the history of modern industrialized war you could point to, with the results and approximate military forces required, to avoid such an outcome, I think the burden of proof here is on you to show that "overwhelming military force" somehow doesn't imply what it does.

quote:

There is no reason to assume any of these things, so no, it would not be accurate to draw a comparison between a war on Israel and the genocide in Gaza. There is no reason to assume that a war on Israel would require "destroying every building in Israel" or "dehousing every single Israeli".

Why shouldn't we? Its what it took for other governments such as Imperial Japan, and wasn't enough for Communist North Korea.

It isn't reasonable to suppose that the second you fire a single shot in anger and open up hostilities with the intention of getting another nation to unconditionally surrender that this wouldn't require significant cost in human suffering (on both sides).

As William T Sherman writes:

quote:

War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our Country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out.

Lets repeat that, "War is cruelty", and what is cruelty?

quote:

callous indifference to or pleasure in causing pain and suffering.

quote:

behavior that causes pain or suffering to a person or animal.

quote:

behavior which causes physical or mental harm to another, especially a spouse, whether intentionally or not.

In short, calling for "overwhelming force" would certainly , or at least, to any reasonable individual, can be said to be so likely as to cause unnecessary suffering in outcome, that it is absolutely unreasonable to assert that "using overwhelming force to destroy Israel" suggests that there wouldn't be massive destruction and that it "doesn't need to happen (as a result of overwhelming force)".

Because in short, war is cruelty.

quote:

I'm sure you believe this, but China and Israel are not remotely equivalent.

China is pretty much, by any reasonable standard, pretty equivalent to Israel in that it is (a) an ethnostate (b) is/was committing/ed genocide. (Tibet, Xinjiang)

If calling for the destruction of China can be said to be genocidal in either intent or outcome, or "really really bad amount of destruction that would be concerning for anyone to insist on" if "genocidal" has a bit too much baggage in this context. Which is really the point, to clarify isn't to say that it would be "genocidal" to use "overwhelming force on Israel" but in all practical terms very close in that it would be a massive amount of unneeded suffering and destruction that would fall on the people living there.

quote:

I think your accusation of "showing disregard for innocent life" is ridiculous, considering we're talking about stopping a genocide. The same exact argument could be made to argue that the Soviet invasion of Nazi Germany was wrong. Is that the position you're taking?

I think the more apt comparison here would be the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as these were arguably required to stop a genocide (the Japanese occupation of China), I'm definitely not arguing the Soviet invasion of Nazi Germany was wrong (which is I think a weird way of phrasing it, Germany invaded the USSR, not the other way around? Except in a literal sense in 1945?); but nonetheless that there's fierce debate and controversy about various Allied acts that were used to "stop genocide", such as the atomic bombs, the firebombings of Dresden, the complete and total destruction of basically every major Japanese and German city. The fact that there is this debate, would suggest that it is improbable for advocating for similar towards Israel to not also be at least equally as controversial at a minimum. And not unreasonable for people to take issue with advocating for the same to Israel.

Most importantly of course, Nazi Germany was not a democracy, Israel is, there was no negotiation that could be done that would stop Hitler and Nazi Germany from pursuing its goals; but a new government could always be elected that's more rational and willing to compromise, so these situations are completely different; so the use of overwhelming force should be at a minimum a last resort.

The point though is that of course stopping Imperial Japan, stopping Nazi Germany, required "overwhelming force", I'm not sure how you can suppose that overwhelming force if applied to Israel a country of only several million people and barely larger than New Jersey in size would not in fact, face an incredible amount of destruction and suffering.

quote:

I don't want to get into a whole thing about "Youtube Shaun", but I think you have not understood the argument against strategic bombing. The argument against strategic bombing wasn't simply that it was a war crime. It was that it was ineffective at its stated goals (demoralizing the enemy) and other goals (destroying military infrastructure), and was therefore ultimately unnecessary.

Well without getting into it Shaun is just wrong on those points as he was using not very good sources, modern historiography, like Wages of Destruction by Tooze make the opposite case about their usefulness. Tooze has been on record in interviews that the RAF basically could've crippled German industry early on if they knew how close they were and kept at it. But we can discuss that more in the Milhist thread in Ask/Tell.

quote:

So why would that kind of bombing be necessary against Israel, when it wasn't necessary in these other wars?

The point here, is there hasn't been a war since WW2 that didn't make heavy use of air power and strategic bombing, even with the advent of precision guided munitions, their destruction and harm to civilians in basically every war, has been considerable. And you aren't defeating the IDF without airpower; and it is antithetical to any reasonable definition of "overwhelming force" to suppose this means not using every effort such as strategic bombing such as the kind used by the US in "Shock and Awe" campaigns. Remember the original post we're disputing here used "overwhelming force", but lets suppose that you agree and concede "Okay overwhelming force would probably be bad, but still a war to stop Israel is still moral and justified." That's better, but a war to destroy a country is still problematic, would still probably require "overwhelming force" because well, every conventional military effort has failed thus far; but in any case there's still many plausible alternatives to bring peace.

Whether by hook or by crook, by war, by terrorism, the first resort should be the negotiating table; even the end of Apartheid in South Africa involved years of negotiations between the principle parties involved, and often required them turning around and muzzling more extreme elements who were calling for more extreme measures.

quote:

I think I'll let your assertion that Nazi Germany was treated too harshly speak for itself. But even if you believe a light touch is needed, that's not an argument against war on Israel. Nazi Germany doesn't turn into West Germany without a war to defeat them first.

So you'd agree that the State of Israel, as a democratic but not apartheidy independent state, separate from a Palestinian state, would be desireable outcome? We don't need all this arguing then if the goal in the end is just "West Germany" vs "EU-Germany but by shotgun marriage instead of consensual ascension".

quote:

We've seen this sentiment a few times in this thread, and at this point I think I'll just be straight and tell you that this is a disgusting viewpoint and ignores what this conflict actually is. It is not them "not getting along".

What the conflict currently is isn't relevant for discussions about a hypothetical One State Solution that refused to consider outcomes other than "everyone lived happily ever after and nothing bad happened to them, the end." Because again, just look at Yugoslavia.

quote:

When you refer to a "prolonged century of sectarian violence" as a result of forcing Israel's hand, I assume you mean in opposition to a shorter period of sectarian violence until Israel completes the killing or ethnic cleansing of the Palestinians? Because that's Israel's plan.

What Israel's plan is, isn't relevant to the push back here being "Hey lets not ignore reality and pretend that militarily occupying israel and saying 'you don't have a government anymore, you are a part of palestine now' is just going to work out well for anyone". Because there are extremists everywhere, in both societies.

Because what if Israeli's just form up militia's and start engaging in their own terrorism (again?) until whatever military force occupying them is forced to withdraw? There's not many examples in the modern day of a occupying force on a hostile land working out in the long term; there's no moral or ethical solution to a insurrection that doesn't involve negotiation and compromise, just look at Iraq and Afghanistan.

quote:

Cool, so the opinions of the Israelis are the only thing that matters here, and the Palestinians can just die.

Both their opinions matter is the point. Because there's no way of forcing them without it likely to still result in violence without well, greater application of violence, which just continues the cycle without any end short of well, the thing you're trying to stop.