Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Only time torrents have ever really been tracked is for Hollywood poo poo, and I don't know if they even bother anymore. And yeah PIA has been dodgy for region blocking lately, the IP address you get assigned will sometimes be in like Romania or Czech even though you set it to Baltimore or Kentucky.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

wash bucket posted:

Reddit seems to block VPNs outright now. “We see you’re using a VPN. Kick rocks.”

I use a VPN and have for years, and I have never seen this message. Must be a specific block of IPs used by a particular VPN that gets flagged.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Only time torrents have ever really been tracked is for Hollywood poo poo, and I don't know if they even bother anymore.

I've accidentally torrented stuff with my VPN off in the past 5 or so years and comcast sent me a mad letter about it. So yes, they do, but the consequences are dubious.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The last time I got a letter from my ISP was maybe 2012 or so, I moved to Japan shortly after that and decided to get a VPN because downloading Aliens.DC.1986.x265.mp4 seemed like really stupid way to get deported if it came to that. I've had a few friends get letters but they all seem to be of the "we have detected piracy" variety, not the "you owe us money" variety.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

wash bucket posted:

I think it was Wirecutter that recently tried to write an article for the best microwave to buy and they discovered that like 12 of their microwaves were actually the exact same microwave just in a different housing. Most of them were name brands you've heard of.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-microwave/

quote:

We found evidence that most countertop microwaves sold in the US are manufactured by just one company, Midea. We confirmed with Midea that it makes and sells Toshiba, Comfee, and Black+Decker ovens. We’re also confident that GE, Whirlpool, Sharp, Breville, Insignia, Magic Chef, Hamilton Beach, and others also sell microwaves that were originally built and probably designed in large part by Midea, though all parties that we contacted declined to comment. But here’s why we think Midea is the original manufacturer.

The first clue is that at a given capacity, there are usually at least four different models with the same wattage and dimensions. They have identical contours inside the oven and identical patterns in their ventilation grates, too. They sometimes have the same FCC ID (to be sold in the US, any piece of hardware that can create radio interference, like a magnetron, needs one). And some of them say plainly on the rear label that they’re manufactured by Midea.

Import records (which are public information) also confirm that Midea supplies microwaves to those brands.

We took the covers off of some microwaves (please don’t do this at home), and the similarities were even more striking: Many of them use the same magnetron (the key component in the oven that creates the actual microwaves), transformer, and capacitor. We usually found a Midea logo printed on the interior-facing side of the control panel, too.

From left, an RCA-brand model, manufactured by Galanz, and models from Amazon, Black+Decker, and GE, all manufactured by Midea and built around the same core components, with minor differences among the other parts. Photo: Michael Murtaugh
Some brand representatives we spoke with said generally that they work with a “factory partner,” though none would confirm a relationship with Midea specifically.

None of this is to say that all microwaves are truly identical. Although the cheapest models are essentially generic ovens designed and assembled by Midea, some brands do play a part in their microwave designs.

A Breville representative told us that although the company uses some of its factory partner’s standard components (without explicitly confirming or denying that the partner is Midea), it is “actively involved in component design and fabrication,” a process that often includes visiting sub-suppliers and working directly with tool makers on various components. Breville also performs “additional quality control measures above and beyond the standards normally used by our factory partner.”

GE (again without confirming a relationship with Midea) told us that it’s also involved in some of the aspects of the design and does additional quality-control testing.

Even among microwaves that are intended to be identical, Schiffmann said there can still be functional differences from unit to unit. But for the most part, you can expect the Midea-made microwaves from all the brands we’ve listed, of a given size and power rating, to be very similar.

What about the other microwave suppliers? Galanz is purported to be the world’s other mega-microwave-manufacturer (and it’s based about a 30-minute drive away from Midea). Galanz may have a big foothold worldwide (40 percent as of 2013, according to the book Brand Breakout), but it seems to have a small share of the American market these days, mostly supplying bottom-tier brands like RCA. LG and Samsung each make their own microwaves. Panasonic makes its own mid-range and high-end countertop units, though its budget models seem to be made by Midea.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got a VPN last year because Spectrum shut off my internet for pirating. All of the emails went straight to my spam folder so I never saw them. I got the VPN and never saw another email from them again. :)

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

At the height of the Suprnova era my ISP was sending me 10+ physical letters per month and nothing ever happened.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

At the height of the Suprnova era my ISP was sending me 10+ physical letters per month and nothing ever happened.

You just flat out ignored everything?

Lavender Spliffs
Nov 12, 2023

I've ignored every warning my ISP has ever sent. Piracy 4 lyfe dawg.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I read this as

Rochallor posted:

The last time I got a letter from my ISP was maybe 2012, so I moved to Japan

Mental image of sadly fleeing the country due to one ISP warning letter

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lavender Spliffs posted:

i do use a vpn and just don't deal with that poo poo anymore though

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Dip Viscous posted:

What was the "height" of Suprnova? I stopped using it around 2006, but in those days there wasn't really a moment my modem wasn't torrenting something and I've still never gotten a warning, not back then, and not now (though I don't really torrent much now). I never use a VPN, I use Comcast, how come I never get yelled at??

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

credburn posted:

What was the "height" of Suprnova? I stopped using it around 2006, but in those days there wasn't really a moment my modem wasn't torrenting something and I've still never gotten a warning, not back then, and not now (though I don't really torrent much now). I never use a VPN, I use Comcast, how come I never get yelled at??

that’s how stats work. sounds crazy, but it’s true :spooky::ms::spooky:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

There was a brief period in the early 2000s where shady law firms in the UK were sending out letters saying you had to pay thousands of pounds because you pirated something, or they'd sue you.

Thing is, they were sending them seemingly at random, probably just to everyone on a mailing list they bought. So people who didn't even own a computer, including elderly people who didn't even know what the gently caress an MP3 was, were receiving these threats. And lots of them were so scared that they paid out.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

rafikki posted:

I’m gonna ask the evergreen question - why are you using a VPN (like nord or proton)? If the answer isn’t bypassing geo blocks for Netflix or maybe torrent stuff, you’re probably doing it wrong.

I have many linux torrents, thank you. Also I trust Proton more than my ISP for tracking me. And I occasionally lock myself out of some cloud machines with ban by IP

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

DemihumanResources posted:

I have many linux torrents, thank you. Also I trust Proton more than my ISP for tracking me. And I occasionally lock myself out of some cloud machines with ban by IP

do you pay for things in stores with either a debit or credit card?

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

credburn posted:

This really depends on *what* as well. I'm guessing popular TV shows and new movie releases get more attention than obscure 1980s bootleg anime

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

TrashMammal posted:

do you pay for things in stores with either a debit or credit card?

Some things I pay for in cash for those reasons, like the weede store

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got a VPN last year because Spectrum shut off my internet for pirating. All of the emails went straight to my spam folder so I never saw them. I got the VPN and never saw another email from them again. :)

Did you check your spam folder?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Armacham posted:

Did you check your spam folder?

I do occasionally!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Lavender Spliffs posted:

This because I'm Canadian and the media companies can't do a goddamn thing to me and my small ISP does not actually care; they're just obligated to forward the letters and that's it. Still got PIA anyway because it's like a buck a month and I wanted to use it to watch US Netflix, for which it does not work at all but all the YT advertisers still tout a VPN as the way to do this (not saying "Netflix" outright of course) to sell subscriptions.

I now use it for the gooniest reason: to watch anime on SEA-only YT channels.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

redshirt posted:

You just flat out ignored everything?

I mean, yeah. Violate ISP's terms of service for no consequence and turn their letters into free stove kindling or pay VPN fees for no gain.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

DemihumanResources posted:

This really depends on *what* as well. I'm guessing popular TV shows and new movie releases get more attention than obscure 1980s bootleg anime

I've never received angry emails for movies or shows but textbook pdfs? Oh yeah lmao

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Diet Poison posted:

This because I'm Canadian and the media companies can't do a goddamn thing to me and my small ISP does not actually care; they're just obligated to forward the letters and that's it. Still got PIA anyway because it's like a buck a month and I wanted to use it to watch US Netflix, for which it does not work at all but all the YT advertisers still tout a VPN as the way to do this (not saying "Netflix" outright of course) to sell subscriptions.

I now use it for the gooniest reason: to watch anime on SEA-only YT channels.

They also advertise to use it to get regional discounts on steam, which I think is something that can get your account banned

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mobby_6kl posted:

Mullvad is the only VPN I ever tried and it worked great with no bullshit. You know they're legit because they don't do scammy podcast/youtuber ads.

:same:

Also Nord sucked for doing :filez: anyway, it was always something with that one. Mullvad is great and I rarely need to do more than switch servers every so often.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I can't imagine not using a private tracker for my Linux ISOs, no VPN needed

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have Nord and the only complaint I have with it is the actual application blows. It's slow and freezes sometimes for no reason.

Even going through the VPN I almost always have the lowest ping in games.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

They're nice when you're in one but it's tough to break into that scene, and when I finally do, I get a couple golden years before they get shut down. rip what.cd and oink

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

skooma512 posted:

They're nice when you're in one but it's tough to break into that scene, and when I finally do, I get a couple golden years before they get shut down. rip what.cd and oink

I just found my what.cd seedbox in my parents garage and am excited to turn that thing on and see what is on it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have Nord and the only complaint I have with it is the actual application blows. It's slow and freezes sometimes for no reason.

Even going through the VPN I almost always have the lowest ping in games.

i mentioned it above but they should let you use openvpn as the client. i have the same experience re: ping though when i forget to turn mine off sometimes.

it just no longer works for getting around eg. blackouts on mlb.tv or for watching streaming services like hbomax that arent available in other countries when i travel which sucks

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

I can.
Doesn't have what you want.
Isn't usenet. (which has its issues)
You don't want to spend the time getting into a private tracker to get into a better private tracker to get into a top tier private tracker.
You don't want to be uploading constantly to maintain ratio/don't want to deal with a seedbox.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 16, 2024

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Dip Viscous posted:

I mean, yeah. Violate ISP's terms of service for no consequence and turn their letters into free stove kindling or pay VPN fees for no gain.

i like your style kid

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

big mean giraffe posted:

:same:

Thats also why some of you get randomly busted for things - the ISPs are comparing source IPs with known :filez: sites

also force encryption on your torrent-program-of-choice, there's zero reason for your ISP to know which linux iso you're downloading

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What if my ISP’s IT guy wants to commend me for my fine taste in distros.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

I can.
Doesn't have what you want.
Isn't usenet. (which has its issues)
You don't want to spend the time getting into a private tracker to get into a better private tracker to get into a top tier private tracker.
You don't want to be uploading constantly to maintain ratio/don't want to deal with a seedbox.

In my limited experience, you'll be uploading but no one will download because they also can't expend ratio because nobody downloads. You then have to figure out how to download things to upload at a profit basically, or wait for a ratio jubilee period where everyone starts leeching at once and you can finally get some uploading going.

I really liked on a soccer tracker that they would give you credit based on time seeding rather just data transfer. Sports have a shelf life so they have to let people earn ratio somehow.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

skooma512 posted:

In my limited experience, you'll be uploading but no one will download because they also can't expend ratio because nobody downloads. You then have to figure out how to download things to upload at a profit basically, or wait for a ratio jubilee period where everyone starts leeching at once and you can finally get some uploading going.

I really liked on a soccer tracker that they would give you credit based on time seeding rather just data transfer. Sports have a shelf life so they have to let people earn ratio somehow.

It all just reeks of people wanting a super secret club and feeling special while maybe for some things being a bit better than much easier options. Don't tell anybody the name of the secret club!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 16, 2024

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I wish we had a super secret club. We could charge a small fee for membership.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Really noticing right now how lovely conversing in Discord is.

If a chatter starts to feel uncomfortable, they start spouting random stuff and try to push the conversation up, because they know people won't scroll up to read.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 16, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Really noticing right now how lovely conversing in Discord is.

If a chatter starts to feel uncomfortable, they start spouting random stuff and try to push the conversation up, because they know people won't scroll up to read.

What are you saying? When people get uncomfortable they start spouting random stuff? It sounds like the people are the problem, not Discord :confused:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Literally A Person posted:

I wish we had a super secret club. We could charge a small fee for membership.

"Who keeps the Bitcoin system down? We dooo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
People have been ignoring conversation context on IRC for years, it's nothing to do with Discord.

Plus, Discord actually offers useful features like replies, message links, and threads (although I'm not sure threads are actually good, but they do offer them!) so if people use them properly it really helps.