Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Does the game have traditional dungeons?

I tried going to the blue dungeon icons on the map, but the NPCs won't let me in at 30. I assumed that's where the Duty Finder was sending people, but that seems to be its own thing then? Which makes sense since those instances barely last minutes and don't need me to heal at all yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The duty finder is how you access dungeons. They are all essentially roller coasters. There aren’t really any overworld dungeons in this game.

What exactly are you looking for when you say “traditional dungeon?”

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
All the dungeons will be gated behind quests, most of the time the main story, and will be queued/entered through the duty finder (premade party or not.)

Between a decade of power creep, level and item syncing, and overall design philosophy, most content doesn't require a strong healing presence. Trials and raids at each level cap are better, depending on their syncing, but even then you probably won't feel necessary as healer for a long time, or run into a dungeon that's a complete clownshow.

Even then, healing is a generally planned and minimized activity. Even at the high difficulty content, 70+% of your actions will be damage focused, and nearly all of your global cooldowns will be for damage spells. The last savage fight this tier, for example, which is the highest difficulty below the Ultimate raids, I only use 3 or 4 healing spells - and that's for safety, not necessity. The rest is all damage, and I sneak in healing / mitigation with my non casted abilities.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 11, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I find the healing itch gets scratched once dungeons pick up in possibility of things going wrong and the punishments become more severe in mini-raid encounter style, probably from 60-70 and up. There's also quite a few famous spicy pulls in the 70-90 leveling range. Finally, you never know when an outlier will hit like Aurum Vale.

There's content where unironic healing can be handy like variant dungeons(90s) and deep dungeons(various, earliest is Palace of the Dead.) If you and your friends are learning them than a babysitter can be very handy and variants include extra actions to help bridge the DPS gap. You can also try to provide maximum support in pvp, though everybody has a self heal and 3/4 of the healers are secretly great at damage.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 11, 2024

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I was thinking something that'd take 10 to 30 minutes, with a series of isolated encounters. Maybe with a couple of mini bosses before the final fight.

I guess I just miss a way to socialize as a group. It's how I got to know people in old MMOs. It makes sense if that's outdated design though, and it's more about getting in there and blasting fools now.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Gridania is pretty chill. My only problem with the the city states is that they're so spread out so you have to teleport around if you want to go from the lancers guild to the conjurers guild for example unless you want to spend a couple of minutes on foot.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Attack on Princess posted:

I was thinking something that'd take 10 to 30 minutes, with a series of isolated encounters. Maybe with a couple of mini bosses before the final fight.

I guess I just miss a way to socialize as a group. It's how I got to know people in old MMOs. It makes sense if that's outdated design though, and it's more about getting in there and blasting fools now.

That's pretty much all the dungeons below level 50 in my experience.

TBH though, there's rarely any communications beyond a /wave at the start of it as the tank will usually chain pull several groups to let everyone use their AOE's to clear stuff out quickly.

The Dungeon running population is pretty healthy, even for low level stuff, thanks to daily roulette which provide a steady supply of level-synced end-game players to fill out parties.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gotta get those tomestones and materia vouchers. That and leveling alt jobs are the only reason I do roulettes anymore.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
There really aren't any open world dungeons in final fantasy xiv. By that I mean areas like WoW's zul-whatever in Hinterlands, or the silithid nests in Tanaris, or Scarlet strongholds in north Western Plaguelands (before cataclysm, at least, when there were few to none quests that sent you there before).

There are a few rough areas that are difficult to survive in solo, though. I think the one area that gave me the most problems personally was the sahagin area to the west of... Aleport? Especially whenever a fate was also running with those tempered pirates there and airborne jellyfish. Think the only reason I was out there was to wrap up some hunt logs.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The MSQ takes you out there but not until the 2.X patches to fight leviathan. Used to be you had to do a fate out there for Crystal Tower unlock but that's been removed.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

drat, Blue Mage is powerful. You defeat a kracken at level 1 with your auto attack.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Yeah that's basically how dungeons in FF14 go. Four trash packs that can be mass-pulled in pairs, then a boss. Repeat two more times.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hey sometimes they mix it up. They change the number of trash mobs or give them mechanics you actually have to watch out for. Sometimes both, and sometimes they let you pull three packs.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It feels like they wanted to go for an "overworld dungeon" vibe with the beast tribe home areas, as they have a lot of enemies packed into narrow corridors, but there's really not much point going in them until you can fly anyway.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

It feels like they wanted to go for an "overworld dungeon" vibe with the beast tribe home areas, as they have a lot of enemies packed into narrow corridors, but there's really not much point going in them until you can fly anyway.

Yeah that's very much what they were originally designed for but those kinds of sensibilities got ironed out over time with the acknowledgement that flight trivializes all of them and the only real content you could get out of them were dailies. Heavensward and Stormblood do have tribe stronghold areas in zones but they're less onerous to traverse, largely because you already have flight by the time those dailies are an option so there is little point in trying to make a labyrinth on the map. By Shadowbringers they're phased out altogether. Tribal quests from then on just send you out to the broader zone in general.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Even though they're mechanically pretty pointless I hope we get them or something like them back in DT. The Shadowbringers and Endwalker zones are all gorgeous but most of them are ultimately pretty unexciting to actually navigate in.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I just did Sastasha in the level 15 ARR MQ "It's Probably Pirates", and that was exactly what I was looking for when I asked about dungeons. Sorry for the confusion.

My conjurer is 31 and I'd previously been doing Guildhests up to "More Than A Feeler", mistaking Guildhests for dungeons. So yeah, I lacked the knowledge to ask what I was trying to ask in a way that would make sense to the thread.

I'm super relived that there's stuff like Sastasha though. That was fun!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I liked the level 50 hard mode version follow up to that. "It's Definitely Pirates". The boss fight is kinda goofy.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I just did Sastasha in the level 15 ARR MQ "It's Probably Pirates", and that was exactly what I was looking for when I asked about dungeons. Sorry for the confusion.

My conjurer is 31 and I'd previously been doing Guildhests up to "More Than A Feeler", mistaking Guildhests for dungeons. So yeah, I lacked the knowledge to ask what I was trying to ask in a way that would make sense to the thread.

The dungeons get better and better as you go through the game, so you have a lot to look forward to! I also think you'd really enjoy raids, both the normal and alliance flavors. The latter especially as there's a lot of players involved, plenty of minibosses and actual bosses to fight, the works.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Dungeons like Sastasha are one of the core gameplay modes in the game so you will be going through many of those, which it sounds like will be great news for you! The other core thing you'll come across soon using Duty Finder is called a Trial, which are single boss fights but longer and, in time, with more complicated mechanics than dungeon bosses.

Also good news: Guildhests are phased out after ARR content and you can ignore them if you'd like. Further ones attempt to teach some mechanics but really it's better to just play through the game and learn mechanics through dungeons and boss fights. Dungeon content has been updated through the years but Guildhests are still in their original form as far as I know.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Well the good news is you'll eat up a lot of dungeons during ARR MSQ and more optional dungeons will become available in ARR patches, they tend to be a little more rare in the recent expansions but they are always a good spectacle, although you could argue also too much on rails and formulaic.
Current dungeon blueprint is 2 packs of mobs > barrier so you can deal with them > 2 packs of mobs > boss, 3 times

With Enwalker post patches they introduced a new type of dungeon : Variant dungeon, which are instances you can solo or go in with 3 people, which have 3 paths at the start and 2 bosses per path.
Now the cool thing is you can alter the routes in each path by doing certain actions (like finding a hidden passage, or interacting with something) and the last boss will have different mechanics depending on the route you took. And they have a hidden last boss with the most complicated path you can take. All variant dungeons have 12 routes and there is currently 3 variant dungeons.
But it's not over yet, all the variant dungeons also have a very hard mode, Criterion dungeons, with very hard trash mobs and 3 bosses with complicated mechanics. Then they also have a savage version where when you wipe to a boss, you need to restart from scratch and battle again all previous trash mobs and bosses.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fantastic! To add onto things people said, the blue quest markers will unlock things like dungeons and trials outside of the ones unlocked in the main story quest.

Since you're low level, don't forget there are also guildhests you can unlock that will be small but useful experience when leveling. Also, every class has a hunting log. You can press ctrl+H to open it up and see the monsters you need to kill. Those bonuses are really useful under level 50. Once you get above 50, it's not near as useful, so make sure you do it at lower levels.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Man if you were into Sastasha you have some real sights to behold. To be a sprout again :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also, don't be afraid to unlock and try out other jobs. If you just stick with one, you're going to massively overlevel the content very quickly. MSQ is currently designed to give enough XP to keep two jobs about even.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

so I've played through the latest expansion for the story, mostly solo, and never really raided. If I came back, are there goon orgs active I could join or is everyone in their own thing these days?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

JainDoh posted:

so I've played through the latest expansion for the story, mostly solo, and never really raided. If I came back, are there goon orgs active I could join or is everyone in their own thing these days?

There are Goon FCs. Check the first post or two of the thread.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjXio2OjNpY

Mog Station posted:

These items, or ones otherwise equivalent, were available during a past in-game event.

That tonberry attire :catstare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97VORvkq9PU

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Is there any etiquette about the party finder? I picked up Blue Mage and have been having fun collecting the spells (mostly). I noticed there are occasional groups in party finder going for the higher level dungeons to get spells, but I don't know if it's considered rude to just drop in to one with no fanfare.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just join, most spells are pretty easy to get. Just make sure to not kill the boss/add until you see the spell you want, and read up on which enemy actually does the spell in question.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

nullEntityRNG posted:

Is there any etiquette about the party finder? I picked up Blue Mage and have been having fun collecting the spells (mostly). I noticed there are occasional groups in party finder going for the higher level dungeons to get spells, but I don't know if it's considered rude to just drop in to one with no fanfare.

Nah just jump in, say hello, and have fun getting your spells. Party Finder is just meant to let you get together a party of randos with maybe more specific/broader goals than just running a dungeon/trial/raid. You're all there to get spells or help other people get spells.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also people playing blu are generally having a goofy ridiculous fun time, as it's a goofy ridiculous fun job. Good folks. Nobody's gonna be a sweatlord about it outside of like tome grind events

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

nullEntityRNG posted:

I'd recommend getting aetheric mimicry early if you haven't nabbed it yet, along with ram's voice/ultravibration. People will usually expect you to get those before tackling much content post-Heavensward because of how massively it speeds up runs.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, Ram's Voice and Ultravibration are easy to grab solo post-50 and are huge for running dungeons as BLU. Aetherial Mimicry should also be pretty easy (I think it's adds from the first boss of Pharos Sirius Hard, so you don't even have to finish the dungeon?) and is all upside.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Gotcha. Thanks! I was overly cautious and sent a private tell once and got no response, so I was questioning if there was some sort of taboo I crossed.

I have pretty much the first 99 spells already and got the essentials to speed run most lv 70 dungeons and trials. Got to say I enjoy the class a lot despite half the toolkit being: "Does 220 damage to one and 50% to every other"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

nullEntityRNG posted:

Gotcha. Thanks! I was overly cautious and sent a private tell once and got no response, so I was questioning if there was some sort of taboo I crossed.

this is because the game's code is held together by wishes and prayer, so when people send tells through the pf interface it's nearly impossible to respond in another tell. if you got questions to a party leader it's pretty much always best to just join and ask in party chat

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
i just made it past the aery in the churning mist and holy gently caress do these side quests ever end. i literally counted 40 in my quest log and they just each keep spawning like 4 quests more
like they're actually fairly interesting getting specific divisions on which parts of the islands belong to which brood is cool but jesus there's just so many it's hilarious

Also that said man people were not lying Heavensward is such an insane step up over ARR in like every sense imaginable it's insane. All the maps have been really cool as well, the scale and the way you progress through them feels incredibly cool. Except for the Sea of Clouds doing poo poo there is annoying as gently caress

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Polderjoch posted:

i just made it past the aery in the churning mist and holy gently caress do these side quests ever end. i literally counted 40 in my quest log and they just each keep spawning like 4 quests more
like they're actually fairly interesting getting specific divisions on which parts of the islands belong to which brood is cool but jesus there's just so many it's hilarious

Also that said man people were not lying Heavensward is such an insane step up over ARR in like every sense imaginable it's insane. All the maps have been really cool as well, the scale and the way you progress through them feels incredibly cool. Except for the Sea of Clouds doing poo poo there is annoying as gently caress

Their quest structure for a long time operated under the assumption that you'd be breaking from the MSQ in each zone to do a good chunk of the sidequests to hit the level gates needed to progress, so the endless Christmas tree of quest markers you get in every new settlement reflects that. They began to move away from that model in Stormblood quite explicitly, and Shadowbringers and Endwalker both assume that you're only doing the MSQ and, like, a couple of roulettes to get all the EXP you need, with the sidequests there purely for Aether Currents and flavor. I'm sure the adjusted EXP numbers make the huge number of sidequests seem bizarre, but you really had to clear out a good chunk of those fuckers to proceed or, if you were me, spam the same dungeon like 10 times in a row to get past them.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 17, 2024

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Vermain posted:

Their quest structure for a long time operated under the assumption that you'd be breaking from the MSQ in each zone to do a good chunk of the sidequests to hit the level gates needed to progress, so the endless Christmas tree of quest markers you get in every new settlement reflects that. They began to move away from that model in Stormblood quite explicitly, and Shadowbringers and Endwalker both assume that you're only doing the MSQ and, like, a couple of roulettes to get all the EXP you need, with the sidequests there purely for Aether Currents and flavor. I'm sure the adjusted EXP numbers make the huge number of sidequests seem bizarre, but you really had to clear out a good chunk of those fuckers to proceed or, if you were me, spam the same dungeon like 10 times in a row to get past them.

That's fair, it was just surprising because I'd been clearing out all the sidequests I could as soon as they popped up... and then just one main quest later I went back and like 10 quests popped up which all branched into more; I counted 26? level 55 quests that popped up just after that one msq and then even more showed up the very next one. Again I don't exactly mind because at the least I think these are way, way more interesting than ARR's generic quests but man it was a lot at once

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The moogles are also uh. Infamous for the number of their quests. So they’re kinda of especially bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If you ever want to do crafting and gathering for the beast tribes associated with them (do this - they are all top notch) you'll be happy you did those dozens of Churning Mists quests ahead of time