Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Just don’t play Mithradhum, because someone thought an entire mission tree about condottieri would be fun.

Actually, what are the cool holds? I’ve wanted to do a Verkal Dromak run since I first heard about it, but it sounds like an utter pain in the dick to form. I assume Er-Natvir has some funny railway nonsense to do- does Ovdal Lodhum do anything interesting with the Love Dwarfs thing?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Just don’t play Mithradhum, because someone thought an entire mission tree about condottieri would be fun.

Actually, what are the cool holds? I’ve wanted to do a Verkal Dromak run since I first heard about it, but it sounds like an utter pain in the dick to form. I assume Ea-Natvir has some funny railway nonsense to do- does Ovdal Lodhum do anything interesting with the Love Dwarfs thing?

Verkal Dromak is best formed by deliberately tanking a Command start and then tag switching with console.

Verkal Ozovar is a weird one, not overly similar to other dwarves since you have no other mountains and instead are just turning all of Haless into loyal vassal swarm through mind control.

Silverforge is another weird one, start out as shameful surface dwarves and strip mine eastern Anbennar to the bedrock

Hul-az-Krakazol requires starting as Rajdhanaga and surviving till you get a formable event. Bizarrely extensive craft brew themed mission tree

I hear Dur-Vazhatun has cool missions now but haven’t tried

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you want an actual cool (heh) hole then Krakdhûmvror is all about harnessing the power of ice and wizard-smith dwarves.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Rynoto posted:

If you want an actual cool (heh) hole then Krakdhûmvror is all about harnessing the power of ice and wizard-smith dwarves.

Speaking of, in my grombar run currently I went and vassalized them, is there anything I can do to make them make me more money? Should I be doing anything?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

In Anbennar I keep going back to the various adventurers in Escann. It’s like…this is what happens when you win your D&D campaign: your characters found a kingdom and have kingdom type problems. It’s great! Closest experience to that old Birthright game.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Escann is the most purely fun and innovative part of anbennar and the formables are fantastic.

There's other fun countries depending on play style though. Jadd is fun for blobbing along with azkare in not-asia.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Azjakuma in Haless is great for becoming the Ogre Magi overlord of NotAsia. A true Demon Empire of Oni.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Azjakuma in Haless is great for becoming the Ogre Magi overlord of NotAsia. A true Demon Empire of Oni.

This is super fun but be warned it's a pretty hard start. You start as a monster hater by everyone and right next to superblob command (albeit with a renewable truce but it goes away eventually)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It’s not TOO hard if you really grasp the tools available to you. Oni magic, and ogre military, is extremely powerful. You can win basically the first 50 years of war by declaring wars and then letting people bleed out in the nightmare that is the Demon Hills

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
While they've got some nice tools for it, you don't even need to play defensively as Azjakuma even if their start is a tad precarious. Between mission rewards, ogre military, and oni magic (mainly trance induced rage and korashi talismans, eventually you'll be able to have both active at the same time), you can stack so many shock damage/shock damage received modifiers that your armies will be absolutely tear through others in the early game. If anything, putting off fighting the Command for too long will only make the fight harder as fire damage overtakes shock and they stack more discipline.

Also note that Grombar is called Frozenmaw at the start date. This can be a tricky part about being new to Anbennar since a lot of countries start out with a different name before they get to their main formable tag, and it's usually the latter that people familiar mod use when they discuss countries.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, Escann is my favourite part of Anbennar, so much variety in the starts and how the region consolidates in the first century.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Groke posted:

No, I had fun making Pirate Japan some patches ago. Your coastal raids give you enough cash to afford the most powerful navy in Japan and mercs above force limit, which is good enough to give you an edge over most other daimyos and their allies. Find a weak spot and take over some of the others and build a base strong enough to challenge the Shogun. Tip: Concentrate on taking over one of the smaller islands in Japan proper first, then you can be clever and block off straits at will to trap armies etc. when fighting the other guys.

Be aware that as a republic you cannot usurp the Shogunate, only destroy it; and forming Japan as a pirate republic will just create pirate republic Japan. (You can get out of being a pirate by taking the Mandate of Heaven though. But tall colonial pirate Japan is a pretty fun game.) Also like any daimyo you cannot really expand outside of Japan until the Shogunate is taken down, except by colonizing (which will at least give you better raiding range; but you might well be able to take Kyoto before you even unlock any idea groups).

I united Japan as a pirate republic by 1488 but had yet to get admin 4 because of all the coring I did. I then went exploration/expansion and began to colonize Cascadia, California, and Oceania. I have most of the islands in Malacca/Moluccas (except three islands owned by Spain and Portugal who showed up way too early, and 3/4 of the island with a land connection to Malacca) and can raid coasts from northern Manchuria to the tip of India. I get so much loving money from raiding it is absurd. I've made enough manufactories off raiding that I can now make 3 or so of them a year off of normal income.

My navies can't be beaten even by Spain+Portugal but I made the mistake of making Philippines and everything south a trade company. With only Japan and Taiwan as states I can only field roughly three armies.

My main issue is I've not played a republic possibly ever before and I do not know how to juggle republic tradition effectively. So there are times when I've got plentiful mana points and other times when I'm just dire on them. The result is I'm 1-2 techs behind the Europeans/Korea at all times.

Spain+Portugal just declared war on California, dragging me and Cascadia into the war. I'm pretty sure they'll win but I'm not playing it out because I made enough mistakes and plan on trying again after the next patch. Mainly I need to learn how to juggle Republican Tradition so I can have strong rulers most consistently. And maybe I won't colonize North America because my colonies there are so weak compared to Mexico that it's inevitable I"ll get into a war where I just lose them.

Still it's been a fun game. I've never tried a daimyo swarm Japan game (last time I played Japan before this was before that was added as a mechanic) so maybe I'll try that as Hosokawa or Oda or something. I just need to take Kyoto, not form Japan, and make people outside of Japan my vassals, right? I'm confident I can unify Japan and then expand no problem since I just did it with So and that's a much rougher spot than any other daimyo.

e: Also I was the unluckiest motherfucker when it came to events regarding stability and republican tradition. I lost 20 republican tradition in one year just due to events and I could never get stability reliably above +1 because of all the events dragging me down.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 16, 2024

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

For anbennar spawnables … would this work? Turn on observer mode, let the game play itself, then a bit before the spawnable is able to spawn, take direct control of the mother nation?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jay Rust posted:

For anbennar spawnables … would this work? Turn on observer mode, let the game play itself, then a bit before the spawnable is able to spawn, take direct control of the mother nation?

I don't see why it wouldn't. But you could also just wait for the spawnable to spawn and take control of it, no? Though the AI would have time to gently caress up before you noticed the spawn, I suppose.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've been having fun playing as the Vizier of the Raj. Raj disaster too hard? Just be the Vizier and don't deal with it yourself!

The first Vizier, Ravhidaraj, even has it's own MT all about becoming obsessed with stamping down corruption and Radiant Sun moralism. And the last missions imply some kind of Jadd syncretism, but I haven't reached it yet.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Just play the mother nation normally and when you get the spawnable event make a save, that way you have a save to go back to to keep playing the mother nation if you ever feel like it

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
If you can set a goal for yourself during the limited time in the original nation, then even better! As Wineport I spent the time waiting for Isobelin to spawn kicking the poo poo out of Lorent to slow them down and make the colonial game a bit less of a race against time. Of course, I ended up regretting it later as it turned out I'd manage to permanently cripple them, leading to Wineport annexing them and reforming an even richer Lorent that immediately went hostile with me and forced me to fight them to finish the mission tree (since you need to own or be friends with the owner of the province that spawns Isobelin).

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

While i'm sure it's fun to see how your first country does over the decades after you've set it up for success, it's a big time commitment (for my playstyle)

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

More cheevos :toot:

Probly could have gotten this way earlier but I did most of Ming's mission tree before starting the snake in like 1600. Fun mission tree, can be done without a single war if you get lucky with a few events.

Pictured: Snake, after this I bought Shetland off of Scotland for like 8k before invading England/Scotland a bunch.

Shoutout to these 2 small rear end hidden buttons for giving me something to do while devving and waiting between truces :v:

(Expand Infrastructure is actually really good if you can spare the admin cap and I've been using it for a while it's just hidden on a tiny button)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I do enjoy playing spawnables because it is like a fresh start a century in, which lets me see more of the mid-late content. Only time I saw the Phoenix Empire form was when the I played the Sun Elf Cortez and the AI finished what I began.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Jay Rust posted:

While i'm sure it's fun to see how your first country does over the decades after you've set it up for success, it's a big time commitment (for my playstyle)

If you have any existing save games, I find the easiest thing is just find one near the spawnable date and tag switch over to the spawning country using the console.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I do enjoy playing spawnables because it is like a fresh start a century in, which lets me see more of the mid-late content. Only time I saw the Phoenix Empire form was when the I played the Sun Elf Cortez and the AI finished what I began.

I think i see the phoenix empire like one out of every three games now, when the Great Conqueror option is turned on at game start

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Incidentally escann ALWAYS goes orc

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
AI Irrliam can get Phoenix Empire pretty easily. It’s rare for me to see anyone else form it.

The Escann orcs usually last just long enough to form their nations, then get stomped by Gawed/Grombar/Bjarnrik/whoever else got the top of the map. Are any of them fun to play?

I feel like Tugund Darakh forms more often than Cyranvar nowadays. Can’t tell why this is happening because playing in the deepwoods gives me a headache.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Orcs strong. The deepwoods got a bunch of new provinces in the bitbucket and a unified deepwoods can be pretty scary now. As Crathanor I declared war on a not even fully unified Tugund Darakh expecting to take a couple defensive battles in Daravan's Folly and win, but they handed my rear end to me at a numerical and terrain disadvantage and I was totally unable to prevent them from taking my line of inland forts. I only white peaced them by ferrying my armies between Gemisle, Bahar, and my coastal forts including Nathalaire to catch their smaller armies in sieges again and again until we both ran out of manpower. Later on I got better tech and crushed them. I didn't want land in the deepwoods so I didn't even get anything out of it but I had to eliminate the threat.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I should do an Escann Orc run, though I've never been good at Thunderdome starts in EU4

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've been having fun playing as the Vizier of the Raj. Raj disaster too hard? Just be the Vizier and don't deal with it yourself!

The first Vizier, Ravhidaraj, even has it's own MT all about becoming obsessed with stamping down corruption and Radiant Sun moralism. And the last missions imply some kind of Jadd syncretism, but I haven't reached it yet.

Oh neat! I was thinking about taking a spin as the Vizier some time. Lemme know what you think when you finish their MT.

I just got done with a long and satisfying Azjakuma run. So, so much MagicCrime.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

VideoWitch posted:

I should do an Escann Orc run, though I've never been good at Thunderdome starts in EU4

Orc thunderdome is scary strong as almost no one outside of Escann cares what happens there. The adventurers will band together pretty well early but you can pretty easily pick them apart if you aggressively hunt down their armies before they can consolidate with your superior units.

The problems start afterwards with being surrounded by enemies.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Some things I'm discovering about EU4 from Anbennar and why I'm hopeful for EU5 is that there's a lot of mechanics like Artificers in Anbennar where I'm like "What the gently caress is this" and I have to ask how to use and how easily you can miss whole mechanics, also applies to EU4 vanilla.

But anyways, I've managed to reach the eastern Ocean by the Lake? Confederacy.

Jesus they have so many troops. :stare:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah the lake confederacy is one of the top powers/regions in the world, in some ways it's more like vanilla HRE than Anbennar itself.

It also almost always unifies to become a top ~5 power, usually on the higher side

Actually thinking about it it's a bit like vanilla Italy maybe? Obviously culturally it's more towards Finland, Japan and Inuits.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sadly my Grombar probably lost its chance to really be one of the world's great powers, I'm barely neck and neck with the Halflings.

I hope to see more of the map to my east so I can keep chaining my merchants I guess?

The thing I'm not sure about is trade.

I'm collecting in Bay of Chills, but I'm told that maybe it might be better to collect in Vorensbay because of Serpent's Head? The Gnomes dominate Serpent's Head and will dow me if I try to compete there.

I've got like a merchant in Ogre's Steppe as I don't see Zernuuk yet, I need to steal their maps.

Currently I'm like in 7th place in income.

I'm almost out of things to spend my money on, I am vastly underutilizing my lands for manpower and force limit buildings though, but I also need to dev up a lot of my lands to do so.

I've had my focus being on Admin for nearly the entire game. =/

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

You got unlucky with Castanor (western roman empire/early HRE) forming and with how powerful Phoenix Empire (early Arab conquests) and Command (Imperial Japan, kindof) became, but you're doing pretty well IMO. Grombar is a bit like a weaker Russia, it's not that easy to play.

I think your trade setup isn't bad but yeah I'd collect one node earlier (and also in the downstream one to reduce leakage), I think you'll get more that way, maybe? Also try to siphon more from the lake fed via trade ships if you can.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

shoutout to small country

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Private Speech posted:

You got unlucky with Castanor (western roman empire/early HRE) forming and with how powerful Phoenix Empire (early Arab conquests) and Command (Imperial Japan, kindof) became, but you're doing pretty well IMO. Grombar is a bit like a weaker Russia, it's not that easy to play.

I think your trade setup isn't bad but yeah I'd collect one node earlier (and also in the downstream one to reduce leakage), I think you'll get more that way, maybe? Also try to siphon more from the lake fed via trade ships if you can.

And to clarify this is a multiplayer game so those are all players.

Is there something I'm supposed to do as Grombar for my military at around this time? I notice against some of the AI nations in the Empire that my moral seems a little weaker. I went Revalian so I got the Infantry Combat bonus and the Moral Bonus.

And yeah I basically only recently got to the East, and hadn't thought about building trade ships here yet, I'll get on it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

My lord that map seems enormous.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Raenir Salazar posted:

And to clarify this is a multiplayer game so those are all players.

Ah okay, that makes sense.

The Grombar army is generally a bit weaker later on (also like Russia). Maybe you can get artificer inventions to help out. Also try to get/use war wizards whenever possible, they can absolutely eat enemy stacks for dinner.

e: This is all simple stuff but the answer is that I can't think of anything special, really. Take related ideas like Quality I guess? Also getting absolutism/drill/professionalism always helps.

Ultimately your land isn't anywhere near as nice as lake fed, Cannor (Europe), or Rahen (Asia/India) and you're more limited in expansion, so outside of colonial game it might be tough to expand more. If not playing with other players then conquering the serpentspine/dwarves or expanding to lake fed or cannor would be the natural next step, but it might be tough in late MP.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 19, 2024

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I had a Grombar campaign once where after a brief period being a powerhouse i suddenly got really poor and was struggling to catch up to my rivals.

Turns out the event that i had been clicking without reading, where minorities move to my high dev provinces gave 10% devastation or something insane like that every time. My capital had been sitting at 99% devastation for decades, oops.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Private Speech posted:

Ah okay, that makes sense.

The Grombar army is generally a bit weaker later on (also like Russia). Maybe you can get artificer inventions to help out. Also try to get/use war wizards whenever possible, they can absolutely eat enemy stacks for dinner.

e: This is all simple stuff but the answer is that I can't think of anything special, really. Take related ideas like Quality I guess? Also getting absolutism/drill/professionalism always helps.

Ultimately your land isn't anywhere near as nice as lake fed, Cannor (Europe), or Rahen (Asia/India) and you're more limited in expansion, so outside of colonial game it might be tough to expand more. If not playing with other players then conquering the serpentspine/dwarves or expanding to lake fed or cannor would be the natural next step, but it might be tough in late MP.

The kobolds are also players and currently my allies helping me expand into the Lakefed. :)

Yeah I started drilling, I've often been at war or dealing with rebels often enough that I never had the time; currently I'm helping Small Country in a war against Verne because Verne decided to support one of Small Countries colonies in independence so I'm sitting in Small Country as peacekeepers (as I'm defender of the Revalian faith), building boats as maybe I can build a big enough navy to fight Verne's? I think they had only like 25 large ships.

But yeah generally at this point its cleaning up Dalr and expanding east into the Lake.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Frionnel posted:

I had a Grombar campaign once where after a brief period being a powerhouse i suddenly got really poor and was struggling to catch up to my rivals.

Turns out the event that i had been clicking without reading, where minorities move to my high dev provinces gave 10% devastation or something insane like that every time. My capital had been sitting at 99% devastation for decades, oops.

There's a couple different ones and I'm not sure if Grombar has any special ones, but I think only trolls cause devastation, the rest mostly add autonomy (and sometimes increase development too). Still kindof bad but not necessarily the worst, as long as you remember to decrease it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
The best events are when your primary race migrates from another county, because you can then take the option to steal their stuff without the corresponding loss of tolerance.

Christ that's a hosed up sentence.