Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
One thing I like about 5e is how it kinda simplifies a lot of this kind of numbers inflation even if the result is not as flexible as I'd like at times. Not enough "horizontal" progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Contrast/compare this to the earlier discussion about Polymorph Other and you might get an idea of why 3.5 was considered a caster edition.

On top of what's been said, they might have had only NPC classes.

The whole Polymorph family of spells in 3.5 is pretty ridiculous. Polymorph Any Object in particular stands out as "how could the designers possibly have considered that OK?"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Because wizards can do anything,

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Caphi posted:

Because wizards can do anything,

It ain't called Fighters of the Coast.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Capfalcon posted:

However, next we get into the most important (and most tedious) part of high level 3.5 combat: stacking buffs and bonuses.

Thankfully (for our purposes), this was effectively an ambush, so the only thing that likely applies is Elan's bard song, which is probably a +2 morale bonus due to his dashing swordsman prestige class.

They actually do probably have other buffs considering Mind Blank is active on Roy and V and it wasn't cast at the start of the fight. Telepathic Bond is still active too which suggests that some of the buffs they cast to ambush Xykon are probably still in effect. But that's all off panel so there's not much way to calculate it.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Wizards get to be the wizards of all the elements, of illusions, of mind-reading, of creating grand magical prisons, summoning both the dead and creatures from other planes, and of manipulating matter. You may specialize in one of these, but you're still perfectly capable of doing them all, with very few exceptions.

But if a Fighter wants to be an absolute master at both really big sword and slightly less big sword? Woah, WOAH. Reel it back in here, let's not get too crazy.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Sometimes I get the impression that the role balance was supposed to be a rock-paper-scissors kind of deal with Rogues as the third element that can one-shot Wizards but gets facetanked by Fighters.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah, Belkar is painted as one of the most lethal and minmaxed people in the party, so he clearly knows something we don't.

Not really, he pretty consistently gets shown up by Roy.

He comes off as super lethal because he never really has any major adversaries of his own, so he always ends up either fighting large numbers of relative weaklings or jumping someone who can't really stand up to a melee fighter in a head-on 1v1 fight.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They explicitly didn't! And he trashed Hayley's personal rival and the head of the Thieves' Guild, the former at least is narratively required to be equal level to Hayley. But I'll accept that he mostly dishes out death to mooks, not Big Bads.

As the Belkster put it himself, "Wow, it's almost like I'm a seasoned warrior and you two are glorified pickpockets!".

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Sometimes I get the impression that the role balance was supposed to be a rock-paper-scissors kind of deal with Rogues as the third element that can one-shot Wizards but gets facetanked by Fighters.

Nah. The OG White Box D&D only had "fighting-man", "magic-user" and cleric, no thieves. It explicitly described the wizards as a 'carry' class that needs protection early on but becomes the most personally powerful at high level, while high-level fighters and clerics become lords of armies.

Thieves were added iirc in AD&D a few years later at the same time as druids, paladins, monks, and a half-dozen more.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

NihilCredo posted:

Nah. The OG White Box D&D only had "fighting-man", "magic-user" and cleric, no thieves. It explicitly described the wizards as a 'carry' class that needs protection early on but becomes the most personally powerful at high level, while high-level fighters and clerics become lords of armies.

Don't forget "Elf".

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Thief was pretty much a nerf to fighters fighting man because many thief abilities had been presumed fighter abilities.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Don't forget "Elf".

Contrary to the popular factoid that circulates nowadays, elf/dwarf/hobbit (later halfling)weren't classes in White Box DnD; they were indeed races.

quote:

Elves can begin as either Fighting-Men or Magic-Users and freely switch class whenever they choose, from adventure to adventure, but not during the course of a single game. Thus, they gain the benefits of both classes and may use both weaponry and spells. They may use magic armor and still act as Magic-Users. However, they may not progress beyond 4th level Fighting-Man (Hero) nor 8th level Magic-User (Warlock). Elves are more able to note secret and hidden doors. They also gain the advantages noted in the CHAINMAIL rules when fighting certain fantastic creatures. Finally, Elves are able to speak the languages Ons. Hobgoblins, and Gnolls in addition to their own (Elvish) and the other usual tongues.

https://archive.org/details/dungeons-dragons-white-box/page/n9/mode/2up

e: the source of the confusion is likely DnD's precursor, the fantasy add-on for Chainmail, which added elves, dwarves, wizards, dragons, balrogs, etc. as optional units to be deployed in the medieval wargame, each with their own point value

Schwarzwald posted:

Thief was pretty much a nerf to fighters fighting man because many thief abilities had been presumed fighter abilities.

Knock and find traps were already present as wizard and cleric spell, respectively, in the White Box. It's mildly funny that they were regularly (and correctly) accused of being 2nd level spells that invalidated a Thief's entire class, since in fact they pre-dated the class.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 12, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Speaking of classic D&D I thought the "stump with a rabbit on it and tentacles" was just a gag Rich made up and didn't know it was a real thing called a wolf-in-sheep's-clothing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Knock and find traps were already present as wizard and cleric spell, respectively, in the White Box. It's mildly funny that they were regularly (and correctly) accused of being 2nd level spells that invalidated a Thief's entire class, since in fact they pre-dated the class.
I've never understood that. Why would anyone waste their limited spells on something another character can freely do all day long? Aren't wizards supposed to have a high int score?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Poil posted:

I've never understood that. Why would anyone waste their limited spells on something another character can freely do all day long? Aren't wizards supposed to have a high int score?
Early D&D had your wizards start with a random selection of spells. Maybe your spellbook has Web, Magic Missile, and Sleep! More likely it has Feather Fall, Tenser's Floating Disk, and Detect Gold. You loaded up on oddball spells because sometimes that was all you had.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

"Halfling" and "Thief" were interchangeable in the beginning.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should note their damage against Calder should be lower cause they are attacking him in Antimagic

Calder should have DR 20 deactivated by magic. So that should be a lot of damage he’s not taking.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 13, 2024

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Poil posted:

You don't prepare knock/find traps, you put them on scrolls and wands.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I should note their damage against Calder should be lower cause they are attacking him in Antimagic

Calder should have DR 20 deactivated by magic. So that should be a lot of damage he’s not taking.

Good point about the enhancement bonuses and other magic items being turned off. However, DR/magic is a supernatural ability, so it is also turned off in anti-magic.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Dragon fire breath is also turned off by anti-magic lol

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Capfalcon posted:

Good point about the enhancement bonuses and other magic items being turned off. However, DR/magic is a supernatural ability, so it is also turned off in anti-magic.

Breath is turned off, but DR is not stated as being a SU ability, and everything is pretty clearly marked.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Breath is turned off, but DR is not stated as being a SU ability, and everything is pretty clearly marked.

From the Rules Compendium:

quote:

When magic can overcome a creature’s damage reduction, a weapon that has a +1 or higher magical enhancement bonus is required. If a creature has this kind of damage reduction, such as DR 5/magic, it also has the magic strike ability (see page 101). This kind of damage reduction is supernatural. Ammunition fired from a projectile weapon that has an enhancement bonus of +1 or higher is treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Going through the various types of DR, most of them are supernatural in nature. Only DR that can be overcome by a weapon type (piercing, slashing, or bludgeoning), an adamantine weapon, or nothing at all ("-" after DR value) is extraordinary and thus still works in an anti-magic field.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The_Other posted:

From the Rules Compendium:

Going through the various types of DR, most of them are supernatural in nature. Only DR that can be overcome by a weapon type (piercing, slashing, or bludgeoning), an adamantine weapon, or nothing at all ("-" after DR value) is extraordinary and thus still works in an anti-magic field.

Thanks I missed that. I was looking around the ability and the entry for the dragon.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

NihilCredo posted:

Contrary to the popular factoid that circulates nowadays, elf/dwarf/hobbit (later halfling)weren't classes in White Box DnD; they were indeed races.

e: the source of the confusion is likely DnD's precursor, the fantasy add-on for Chainmail, which added elves, dwarves, wizards, dragons, balrogs, etc. as optional units to be deployed in the medieval wargame, each with their own point value

You're correct that they weren't a class in White Box D&D. A later revision of the D&D Basic Set, the Red Box by Moldvay, had Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling as classes. This was a revision to the Basic Set rules and was meant to help streamline it and, if I remember correctly, act as a stepping stone to AD&D which was also being printed at the time.

https://archive.org/details/set-1-basic-rules-box-set/page/n25/mode/1up

Robviously fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 14, 2024

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

Early D&D had your wizards start with a random selection of spells. Maybe your spellbook has Web, Magic Missile, and Sleep! More likely it has Feather Fall, Tenser's Floating Disk, and Detect Gold. You loaded up on oddball spells because sometimes that was all you had.

The old edition discourse made me look up the version of ODD I bought from DTRPG back in ye day- around 2013 or so. Now I can't tell exactly what version it is- it seems to be a new layout of the original text, with new and detailed cover art for each booklet and the Wizards Logo and updated copyright, but it seems to be aiming for the original box.

And uh, it doesn't actually say what spells you start with. Like it tells you your spells per level, and that you have books for spells (apparently one per level), and the cost of replacing them and the cost of researching new spells, but the way you decide what spells a Magic User has... apparently was not in the book at first. The original game was not 100% complete and I imagine this was one of the first things they had to clarify.

(And part of the confusion re: demihumans is that the booklet lists Elves, Dwarves, and Hobbits- er, Halflings (and the book I have uses the updated non-infringing term so presumably that's another tweak) listed after Fighting Men, Magic Users, and Clerics- but when you look at the entries for each they actually say that Elves can be Fighting Men or Magic Users, Dwarves and Halflings can only be Fighting Men, and their level limits.)

(In retrospect it's amazing this game got anywhere.)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Maxwell Lord posted:

The old edition discourse made me look up the version of ODD I bought from DTRPG back in ye day- around 2013 or so. Now I can't tell exactly what version it is- it seems to be a new layout of the original text, with new and detailed cover art for each booklet and the Wizards Logo and updated copyright, but it seems to be aiming for the original box.

And uh, it doesn't actually say what spells you start with. Like it tells you your spells per level, and that you have books for spells (apparently one per level), and the cost of replacing them and the cost of researching new spells, but the way you decide what spells a Magic User has... apparently was not in the book at first. The original game was not 100% complete and I imagine this was one of the first things they had to clarify.

In AD&D the thing they "clarified" is "your GM makes it up however they see fit," so it's not actually much better since that's the implicit rule anyway, it just confirms you're not missing anything.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Adnd is a hair off game design outsider art

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Adnd is a hair off game design outsider art

Calling it that implies there was established art to take inspiration from and a knowledge base of best practices, with respect to rpg design. I suppose my knowledge of gaming history has a lot of holes in it, but wasn't D&D pioneering that field?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Calling it that implies there was established art to take inspiration from and a knowledge base of best practices, with respect to rpg design. I suppose my knowledge of gaming history has a lot of holes in it, but wasn't D&D pioneering that field?

D&D is weird because it was an extension of existing wargames. The bolted on collaborative story telling came later, and even had a fair amount of pushback on it. These are things that existed before but the synthesis of them was messy and "outsider"-ish since the people building it up in those earliest of days didn't really understand any of the building blocks they were using.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

There were several notable games prior to AD&D, most obviously OD&D, but also Empire of the Petal Throne, Tunnels & Trolls, Chivalry & Sorcery, and Traveller. But yes, it was still very early, before or at almost the same time as Gamma World, RuneQuest, Villains and Vigilantes.

I think the implicit comparison people are making when they call AD&D “outsider art” or whatever is to B/X D&D, which is much more important to modern “old-school” gaming.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's amazing how at the beginning there was always Rule Zero but it still took multiple official editions before DMs stopped being assholes about playing like as Dragon People or Tieflings.

Like yes, it can be fun to have that Pathologic level of difficulty of "everyone hates you" but sometimes you just want only a little fantasy racism directed at you and you just wanna look cool.

I remember before any stats for Dragonborn existed I played a game where we took some homebrew rules for "monster level progression" for Sivak Draconians but made it so I could weave between progressing in my monster levels (higher hitdice, special abilities, being able to fly, etc) and PC class levels; that was genuinely an interesting mechanic. Probably not balanced at all but it's interesting; modern D&D doesn't have that level of crunchiness anymore I think?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
5e mostly doesn't have that level of crunchiness because there are kinda shockingly few splatbooks for it. I started volunteer DMing for a group of middle schoolers at an afterschool program and I was really surprised how FEW official options there were to work from for some of the concepts they wanted to play. I ended up having to tweak some stuff for most of them.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Instantly reminded of the story about the OD&D game where the player wanted to play as a vampire. So the DM made them start as a 1hd skeleton and work their way up. Allegedly they did make it to full on vampirehood... until they got into an aerial battle with other vampires. Apparently level drain worked on the undead. And losing more than one level meant becoming undead that was incapable of flight...

Googling the story this was probably made up for RPG codex.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Oh, the days before a dm could just say "find a homebrew from dndbeyond that isn't mass downvoted and if it doesn't look op you can use it"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I don't know where a vampire falls on the power scale (especially in OD&D), but I'm not sure if it would be THAT hard to make a 20-level class for it, with you starting off basically powerless and slowly gaining your abilities and enhanced stats as you level up, and the capstone being the equivilant of a normal vampire.

Yes, I'm saying "Congrats, your class is Vampire, no you don't get a second class on top of that. Don't make me break out the multi-class and dual-class rules!"

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Probably not entirely without powers, as they start off with a fair few weaknesses, and adds a fairly common roadblock a GM can use to 'nudge' the party in changing plans - rivers and such can't be crossed.

Something along the lines of a Magic-User xp line, adding powers that could align with the type of spells a MU can use at that level.

Although there can be plenty of 'dead' levels where the change is mostly the Fighting Man/Magic-User saves and a +1 to hp, seeing as they'll end up with 9HD and the best saves of a 7th level Fighting Man and a 12th level Magic User.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Yeah, vampires are the sort of creature where race-as-class actually makes sense. It’s a logical mechanic if you want to play as, say, a balrog (something OD&D specifically suggests GMs might want to homebrew a class for). The actual implementation of race-as-class in B/X is for creatures that are basically just short or pointy-eared humans, though, which feels pointless; the Halfling in particular feels insufficiently distinct from the Thief.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LashLightning posted:

Probably not entirely without powers, as they start off with a fair few weaknesses, and adds a fairly common roadblock a GM can use to 'nudge' the party in changing plans - rivers and such can't be crossed.

Actually, just thinking about it, even things like the weaknesses could be fairly mild early on, and as the class developes and you hit higher and higher levels, the weaknesses become more pronounced. Some of the effects like "Being always evil" would have to be fudged, but it's not the first time a class has had a "Is always considered to be X alignment for effect purposes"... I think.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The 1e PHB has a line like, "if players want to play as something that isn't covered here, for instance a dragon, just have them start off as a very weak baby dragon and slowly work their way up." So unusual PC species were actually right in there from the start, albeit in the wooliest way possible.

1e was also simplified enough combat-wise that it would have been easy to homebrew stuff. Your hypothetical dragon probably just advances as a Fighting Man with a slight level deficit and unlocks a couple of spells as they grow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Randalor posted:

I don't know where a vampire falls on the power scale (especially in OD&D), but I'm not sure if it would be THAT hard to make a 20-level class for it, with you starting off basically powerless and slowly gaining your abilities and enhanced stats as you level up, and the capstone being the equivilant of a normal vampire.

Yes, I'm saying "Congrats, your class is Vampire, no you don't get a second class on top of that. Don't make me break out the multi-class and dual-class rules!"

4e actually did this - it wasn't particularly flexible/powerful but it was a full 1-30 class that had:

* bloodsucking
* incentives to borrow blood from your buddies
* life draining
* potential death by sunlight (but it let you away with wearing a cloak)
* regeneration turned off by radiant damage
* lots of variants of 'disappear into a swarm of bats and reform'
* hypnotic beckoning upgrading to various mind control variants
* consuming blood for physical might /
* bat polymorph
* spider climb

all in there. Pretty fun, I am a big fan of specific class design like this.

Famously there was a vampiric-heritage-themed race and a vampire-blood feat so you could be a triple vampire if you really wanted to.