Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
One can only aspire to be as big a hater as Serie

https://twitter.com/Dino_illus/status/1768777524455059709?s=19

Is this peak Fern

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Fern's final form is a perfect, furious sphere.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Blaze Dragon posted:

It just dawned me how much of a sick burn that was. In this episode, Frieren pointed out that Serie's way of choosing who passes is actually fully correct, because her instinct is. And Serie's reasoning to fail everyone is consistent with what we know of magic - imagination is very, very important. Everyone who went in could not imagine themselves passing, and if your vision is that limited, you have no place as a first-class mage where imagining yourself defeating extremely powerful demons is very much your job (at least, as seen by Serie). Frieren essentially locked herself into a defeat by acknowledging Serie would never let her pass, and Serie knew fully well Frieren would think that way and fail the test. Meanwhile, Fern had no such issues, so she passed.

What am I getting into here? Serie is extremely serious about having the broadest imagination, because she's the most powerful mage. Flamme told her, to her face, that she could never defeat the Demon Lord because she couldn't imagine what comes next. She mocked Serie's very principles to her face, and she was absolutely correct at that.

'you can't be a first-class mage because you can't imagine yourself being one' makes some vague sense with the other chumps but when used with the circular logic of 'you think i am a giant baby who will fail you out of spite, therefore you fail' it just becomes the equivalent of serie nailing a 'no frieren(s) allowed' sign to the door of her clubhouse. which is her right, but also lmao

e; also yes fern grumpily double-fisting skewers is the most fern she's ever been

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 16, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sharkmafia posted:

'you can't be a first-class mage because you can't imagine yourself being one' makes some vague sense with the other chumps but when used with the circular logic of 'you think i am a giant baby who will fail you out of spite, therefore you fail' it just becomes the equivalent of serie nailing a 'no frieren(s) allowed' sign to the door of her clubhouse. which is her right, but also lmao

Hey she did also give her a chance by saying "tell me your favorite magic is not garbage baby magic" too.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It's probably a decent statement of the priorities of this show that, in this episode, the conclusion of the test that determines whether the protagonists get to continue their journey or have to wait for three years is given roughly the same amount of time as the story about a lady getting mad because her surrogate mom didn't understand her.

(This is why I like the show.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's probably a decent statement of the priorities of this show that, in this episode, the conclusion of the test that determines whether the protagonists get to continue their journey or have to wait for three years is given roughly the same amount of time as the story about a lady getting mad because her surrogate mom didn't understand her.

(This is why I like the show.)

I mean, it's just three years. What can you do with that, buy a banana?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Freiren just going "CYA" when Serie failed her.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 16, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Somehow the dialogue in this show is more riveting than the battles

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Pootybutt posted:

Fern being the only pass goes so crazy.

So far...

I was amused by Leirnen admitting he'd be unable to challenge Frieren. I mean, what could they do?

"You will be fighting a ravenous, 70M tall, magic resistant, three-headed Mage Muncher. Only two of them have ever been killed in all of history."

Frieren: "We got the first one when I found out they are susceptible to being hit on the heads in a certain sequence and to the beat of 'Turkey In The Straw.'"

"Second one died when Heiter threw up on it. We were all sad about that."

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Somehow the dialogue in this show is more riveting than the battles

With the effort they've put into the fight scenes for the anime, that is really saying something.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
*Serie crafting and upholding a hierarchical system of magecraft based on fear, political backstabbing, secrecy and lethal trials*

Serie: How come everybody is too intimidated to be able to see themselves as first class mages

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Serie should probably not be taken as a reliable source on Frieren's skills, especially in the context of "who's a better mage, Serie or Frieren."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Serie's intuition is spot on in that Frieren does not give a flying gently caress about being a first class mage and, in fact, does everything in her power to duck out on matters of state service.
She's just there to support her daughter, dang it.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

While Serie is obviously full of poo poo* and just looking for a way to flunk that one lady she doesn't like, her test actually makes the most sense out of any of them, given what First Class wizards are meant to be - a representative from the wizard's guild should not be freaking out whenever they meet someone stronger than them.

*"Frieren carried them"? The first test was competitive, and the second scaled with the power of the participants.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Das Boo posted:

Serie's intuition is spot on in that Frieren does not give a flying gently caress about being a first class mage and, in fact, does everything in her power to duck out on matters of state service.
She's just there to support her daughter, dang it.

Yeah, a first class mage has some responsibilities, which comes into play later.
And Frieren's clearly not the strongest mage she could be, because she's not that into combat and power for their own sake. She's got immense amounts of mana and apparently genius-tier magic ability but instead of "studying the blade" she focused on suppressing her mana and apparently hosed off to live in the forests for centuries until she ended up in the hero's party.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rody One Half posted:

Serie should probably not be taken as a reliable source on Frieren's skills, especially in the context of "who's a better mage, Serie or Frieren."

By Serie's standards, she's almost certainly the better mage. But Frieren doesn't give a poo poo about those standards, and that irks her. The flashback during the second test tidily outlined their differing philosophies. They both know a renaissance of human magic is approaching. Serie is somber about it, focused on the shifting power dynamics and the personal threat that it represents. Frieren is elated because it means lots of fascinating new magic and mages to witness.

Put even more succinctly,

Brutal Garcon posted:

While Serie is obviously full of poo poo* and just looking for a way to flunk that one lady she doesn't like, her test actually makes the most sense out of any of them, given what First Class wizards are meant to be - a representative from the wizard's guild should not be freaking out whenever they meet someone stronger than them.

Frieren even says that Serie's intuition is unerring.

It's a really one-sided rivalry because Frieren's worldview accommodates Serire, but Serie's doesn't have any room for Frieren.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Brutal Garcon posted:

"Frieren carried them"? The first test was competitive, and the second scaled with the power of the participants.

arguably, frieren was the major impediment in the second test. a bunch of people got down to the bottom without even encountering any mimics, so if hers hadn't rushed down there to lock the door, they'd have just won easily

okay, maybe the demon would have sent not-Sense down there instead, but whatever

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Pretty sure they said the monster uses the strongest as the boss.

So depending on who the monster thought was more powerful, Denken or Sense, it probably would have been easier without Frieren. They had a hard counter to Sense.

The problem is the test was too easy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Guyver posted:

The problem is the test was too easy.

Agreed. Like Batman, Wizards are always at their best when they have information and time to prepare. Their ability to pool data and set the terms of the engagement gave them a tremendous advantage since the clones couldn't collectively plan or strategize.

That said, if they hadn't eventually agreed to work together, then they'd all have gotten mulched.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Fern being the youngest mage to hit 1st class (I’m assuming) is perfect. A quirky subdued personality amongst a cavalcade of quirky subdued personalities.

What are the odds the group of 1st class we see attending for Serie this episode represent the bulk if not all them? How many are out doing field work or are attending for various kingdoms?
Also, “Lernen”? lol

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

What are the odds the group of 1st class we see attending for Serie this episode represent the bulk if not all them? How many are out doing field work or are attending for various kingdoms?

I think they mentioned there being ~40 1st class mages in the bit where Fern is talking about the overall population.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I’m also somewhat ticked that we didn’t see Denken’s adjudication. I’m gonna be so loving mad if we don’t get some sort of interaction between him and Serie and he just gets passed/failed offscreen.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I’m also somewhat ticked that we didn’t see Denken’s adjudication. I’m gonna be so loving mad if we don’t get some sort of interaction between him and Serie and he just gets passed/failed offscreen.

The episode did end with Serie saying "next" so I assume we'll see some or all of the other applicants.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

We haven't seen Denken, Methode, Ubel, or Wirbel. Maybe others but I remember those ones.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Of those, I'm only certain that Ubel will pass. She's casually killed two first class mages including one who was considered an absolute master of defense. Seems right up Serie's alley.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

pork never goes bad posted:

Of those, I'm only certain that Ubel will pass. She's casually killed two first class mages including one who was considered an absolute master of defense. Seems right up Serie's alley.

The whole "Magic is all about imagination" and "You have to imagine yourself as a first class mage" dicsussion Serie had seals the deal that Ubel is getting passed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The show went out of its way to show Denken's willingness to fight and consider ways to overcome difficult problems, so I'm reasonably sure he's going to pass, too, at the very least.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Yeah I'd bet on every one of those four but Ubel's the only one I'd go all in on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

pork never goes bad posted:

Yeah I'd bet on every one of those four but Ubel's the only one I'd go all in on.

"You sure have a lot of hair. Be a shame if something happened to it..."

Das Boo posted:

Fern's final form is a perfect, furious sphere.

Fern is actually the angry eyed American box art Kirby.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 16, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Perfectly countering Ubel by being bald.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://twitter.com/tentenchan2525/status/1769004460968485117?s=19

What's the joke here? Does frieren say her favorite spell is endless potato chips or something?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Centzon Totochtin posted:

https://twitter.com/tentenchan2525/status/1769004460968485117?s=19

What's the joke here? Does frieren say her favorite spell is endless potato chips or something?

“I’ll give you one chance. What’s your favorite spell?”

“The spell that removes the stickiness from my fingers after eating snacks”

“Oh I use that one a lot…”

“You fail”

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Thank you for your service

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

junan_paalla posted:

Yeah, a first class mage has some responsibilities, which comes into play later.
And Frieren's clearly not the strongest mage she could be, because she's not that into combat and power for their own sake. She's got immense amounts of mana and apparently genius-tier magic ability but instead of "studying the blade" she focused on suppressing her mana and apparently hosed off to live in the forests for centuries until she ended up in the hero's party.

At the same time, Frieren is the mage who has cleared the most dungeons of anyone in history, killed more demons than anyone in history and defeated the Demon King. All in a mere 10 years. By virtue of accomplishments, Frieren could easily be said to be the strongest mage. Serie said that it would have been a better use of time to train conventionally but it's just sour grapes since that's likely what she did and she hasn't accomplished anything like what Frieren did. Even if Serie could beat Frieren in a fight, she can't beat her in a way that actually matters.

Serie is a good reflection of pre-Himmel Frieren, in that she's content to sit on her rear end and quietly let the world spin, refusing to engage with it. All she can say to her 50 year-long apprentice is that he's a disappointment because he'll die too fast. Meanwhile Frieren has made more of a connection to Fern in a tenth of the time.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 16, 2024

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

How many more episodes are there? I keep expecting each episode to be the finale but then there's an episode preview. Just want to know how long the magic will last!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

How many more episodes are there? I keep expecting each episode to be the finale but then there's an episode preview. Just want to know how long the magic will last!

one more :cry:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I once said that this series is about how Frieren used to think that having infinite time meant that she'd have time to do everything she would ever want to do, and how she came to realize that that is really, really not the case.

Serie has not yet had that realization.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nephthys posted:

At the same time, Frieren is the mage who has cleared the most dungeons of anyone in history, killed more demons than anyone in history and defeated the Demon King. All in a mere 10 years. By virtue of accomplishments, Frieren could easily be said to be the strongest mage. Serie said that it would have been a better use of time to train conventionally but it's just sour grapes since that's likely what she did and she hasn't accomplished anything like what Frieren did. Even if Serie could beat Frieren in a fight, she can't beat her in a way that actually matters.

Serie is a good reflection of pre-Himmel Frieren, in that she's content to sit on her rear end and quietly let the world spin, refusing to engage with it. All she can say to her 50 year-long apprentice is that he's a disappointment because he'll die too fast. Meanwhile Frieren has made more of a connection to Fern in a tenth of the time.

It is possible that Serie couldn't easily beat Frieren in a fight even. As Frieren has pointed out and experienced personally, having more mana doesn't automatically mean you win. Frieren might have more recent and relevant combat experience even, due to her 10 years spent in the hero's party. Or Frieren may know of the existence of a bad matchup for Serie.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It was really loving funny that Serie was like, "Human apprentices are bullshit, I'm never doing this again." and then practically smash cut to inviting Fern to apprenticeship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

“I’ll give you one chance. What’s your favorite spell?”

“The spell that removes the stickiness from my fingers after eating snacks”

“Oh I use that one a lot…”

“You fail”

Lmbo