Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Doesn't fish shell kinda do that? I've been meaning to check it out but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Subjunctive posted:

great time to get off VMware, just migrate everything tomorrow and get off their licensing disaster

simple as

great time also to move to Oracle's VirtualBox if you want to do Vargskelethor-style destructions

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

JAnon posted:

great time also to move to Oracle's

going to stop you right there

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

never download the extension pack lol

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
There's nothing wrong with qemu. For local VMs that is. For enterprise, yeah, you probably need some support around it. And that's just proxmox as far as I know.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

post hole digger posted:

going to stop you right there

"lol"
- former oracle engineer for oke

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
because oracle was a joke

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
does oracle still maintain their linux

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
yeah, OL with the unbreakable kernel is still a thing afaik.

does this thread like spicy CAB forum chat or is that too in the weeds. either way, this seems...uh... https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1883843

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Winkle-Daddy posted:

yeah, OL with the unbreakable kernel is still a thing afaik.

does this thread like spicy CAB forum chat or is that too in the weeds. either way, this seems...uh... https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1883843
yeah we love this poo poo

quote:

We have not stopped issuance and we are not planning to stop issuance or to revoke certificates issued, we do think that this miss alignment between baseline requirements and the EV guidelines was an unintended oversight of SC-62v2 as explained in the root cause analysis. Revoking these certificates would have unnecessary big impact to our customer and the WebPKI ecosystem overall.

The reason to mark the policyQualifiers as NOT RECOMMENDED is that this would add additional bytes to the certificates of which the information is available within the issuing CA already and this was seen as a bad practice. We do not want to re-introduce a bad practice on the basis of a misalignment between documents.

During the investigation we identified 24819 EV TLS Certificate with the cPSuri missing, as we have not stopped issuing this number of certificates wil keep growing. We don't mind uploading a list of these certificates but do not think this will add any value in this particular case, including that they are all available through CT.

Entrust has implemented several linters, and performs pre and post issuance linting with one or more linters (including zlint and a custom linter). This particular issue is only being detected by pkilint, which was already scheduled to be added to our post issuance checks as also indicated in the action items.

A draft ballot SC-72 to fix the source of the problem has been created and we are actively looking for endorsers to move the ballot forward.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

really looking forward to the “but dad, I don’t waaaaannaaaaaa” non-revocation incident too

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

really looking forward to the “but dad, I don’t waaaaannaaaaaa” non-revocation incident too

it's so loving wild and terrifying to me that such a fundamental part of web trust is basically non profits and corporations in loose agreement to follow some BRs. this_is_fine.jpg

e: this seems pretty flagrant. I've not seen any appetite for disciplinary action in years. kind of hope this changes that...

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 16, 2024

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah reading into it now and they have a separate issue where they had a couple of servers doing ocsp responses with sha-1 over 1.5 years after that had been sunset: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1879602

they're also not responding to questions there on compliance self-assessments. that they're continuing to mis-issue certificates and push their own policy change forward ignoring that it isn't retroactive is comical. also imply they can't handle a full revocation and reissuance within 24h which uh..

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Winkle-Daddy posted:

it's so loving wild and terrifying to me that such a fundamental part of web trust is basically non profits and corporations in loose agreement to follow some BRs. this_is_fine.jpg

e: this seems pretty flagrant. I've not seen any appetite for disciplinary action in years. kind of hope this changes that...

Entrust isn’t big enough to invoke MAD. they can say that they are revoking their root with 90 days public notice and let people migrate, without there being enough people to push back on it

when I did CA/B forum and Mozilla root stuff (meaning that Kathleen Wilson did stuff and I paid her invoices and forced code changes) there was an implicit escalation path to some US and EU government agencies who were ready to take strong action, but we never had to invoke it (even for digitrust or whoever it was that did the Dutch govt stuff before I got to death sentence them). I assume it’s still available, though Entrust is a Canadian company so maybe slightly more complicated

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

also imply they can't handle a full revocation and reissuance within 24h which uh..

well, they imply that their customers can’t because they’re all doing manual management of certs, which is certainly plausible (and likely for EV since I don’t think there’s a way to automate issuance of them yet? loving EV, I should never have gone along with it)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

well, they imply that their customers can’t because they’re all doing manual management of certs, which is certainly plausible (and likely for EV since I don’t think there’s a way to automate issuance of them yet? loving EV, I should never have gone along with it)
and yet they make a song and dance out of pushing for automation therefore they should be treated differently which also lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

and yet they make a song and dance out of pushing for automation therefore they should be treated differently which also lol

for all I know their ACME stuff for EV is cool and good, but they still hosed up issuance and the remedy for that is crystal clear. they’re also still issuing bad certs, making the problem increasingly worse for them and their customers. wish I could hear the support calls with “so you knew these certs were invalid and likely subject to revocation, but you took our money and issued them to us anyway?”

also lol at 24,000 certs that were recently issued (meaning that someone at the customer knows how to install a new cert) being treated as some apocalyptic disaster if revoked. extremely rookie numbers, especially since those sites can trivially get a non-EV cert to replace it in about 8 seconds with ACME

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

fuckin' lol that entrust guy on the mozilla bug is the vice chairperson of the CA/Browser forum

https://cabforum.org/about/leadership/#current-cabrowser-forum-chair-and-vice-chair

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

there’s no yet, automating EV issuance is impossible by definition. EV CAs are required to verify things like whether a subscriber is an authorized representative of some entity like a corporation or a government. that’s not something you can write an rfc for and automate the way that you can for verifying control of a DNS name for DV.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fun times but tmi

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 17, 2024

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Late to password manager chat but we use secret server which is equal parts good and frustrating

Better than a shared keepass file, at least

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

shackleford posted:

fuckin' lol that entrust guy on the mozilla bug is the vice chairperson of the CA/Browser forum

https://cabforum.org/about/leadership/#current-cabrowser-forum-chair-and-vice-chair

... I'm just gonna scream into my pillow for a few minutes. brb.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i thought you knew that it was in the comment section

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

alright, I'm either super dumb or super uncaffinated; either way i'm not fully sure what's so dumb about what's going on.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Neito posted:

alright, I'm either super dumb or super uncaffinated; either way i'm not fully sure what's so dumb about what's going on.

I'm no expert on this, but the gist of it that I got was that Entrust:

• Were notified that they were issuing certificates that didn't comply with currently established rules.

• Acknowledged this to be the case, but concluded that the non-compliance wasn't causing any trouble for the purpose these certificates had been issued.

• Submitted a proposal to the rules-making body to change the rules so that their certificates would be compliant.

• Made no effort to immediately issue new compliant certificates, or even stop issuing non-compliant ones during the entire process, even though their proposal is not guaranteed to be accepted, and the rules for rule changes state that they never retroactively apply to already-issued certificates anyway.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I know nothing about it and have no reason to professionally care but I still love reading about certificate drama

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah we love this poo poo

lol holy poo poo, when was the last time the cab just ripped a motherfucker out entirely?

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

lol i just went window shopping for an EV SSL cert and you can buy these things for like $40/year now? i haven't touched an apache in like 15 (?) years but EV SSL certs are now cheaper than regular SSL certs in the bad old internet explorer days, even before factoring in inflation?

quote:

EV certificates are standard X.509 digital certificates. The primary way to identify an EV certificate is by referencing the Certificate Policies extension field. Each issuer uses a different object identifier (OID) in this field to identify their EV certificates, and each OID is documented in the issuer's Certification Practice Statement.

lol is this true? there is no standardized OID for EV certs? you have to grovel around in some PDF on a CA's website and find a CA-specific OID value? why does anybody pay for this poo poo any more when it's been years since anyone could tell the difference between DV and EV

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
That's why it's only $40, OP.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

raymond t racing’s guide to certificates

Step 1 install caddy
step 2: gently caress off for the rest of the day and bill for the whole day

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Volmarias posted:

That's why it's only $40, OP.

yeah $40 is the bargain basement "SSLs.com" price. name brand entrust EV SSL certs are about $382/year.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

zero knowledge posted:

there’s no yet, automating EV issuance is impossible by definition. EV CAs are required to verify things like whether a subscriber is an authorized representative of some entity like a corporation or a government. that’s not something you can write an rfc for and automate the way that you can for verifying control of a DNS name for DV.

yeah, I don’t know where Entrust dude is headed with his ACME RFC but I’m sure it’s nowhere good

shackleford posted:

nobody wants that position. it’s basically a sign that you don’t have enough work to do at your real job, pure time wasting

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, I don’t know where Entrust dude is headed with his ACME RFC but I’m sure it’s nowhere good

feels like a delay and pray move tbh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Progressive JPEG posted:

feels like a delay and pray move tbh

if I understand the chronology, all this poo poo predated them making the bad change to issuance, so I’m even more confused than if it were just closing the barn door after the horse has burned his house down

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i miss the CA/B forum twitter bot that was supposed to tweet random bits from the minutes but broke and repeatedly tweet the same thing over and over again

by miss i mean "i can't find it anymore"

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I looked around at bugzilla, and another CA having a great time is buypass. back in june they filed a notice[1] that they'd made an error in an issuance, they checked the wrong email address. "this was an error in our manual verification process but don't worry we won't do it again".

someone asked for clarification, and they mentioned that "The CAA record lookup is done using external DNS tools", i.e. https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/.

they of course got dinged for that (as a CA they're not supposed to delegate that to an unaudited third party), and created a new issue[2] to correct that.

then it came out that their automated verification uses 8.8.8.8 for lookups, and guess what, new issue (filed on december 29th[3] too, oof). one of the issues is that google public dns isn't guaranteed to verify dnssec.

but of course all those automated certs needed to be revoked [4]

overall I would say that the people responding to the issues were very professional, and someone questioned google trust services about using the google public infrastructure[5] (and potentially not always verifying dnssec). google got questions that are as "hard" and detailed as the ones buypass got. except of course they had their ducks in a row and were able to answer the questions without going "whoops" every second question

[1] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1838421
[2] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1839305
[3] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1872371
[4] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1872738
[5] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1873739

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

steadfast refusal to understand what a delegated third party is and you've been running certs that way since at least 2017 lol

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
also a "we can't possibly revoke this cert too quickly, it's used in critical infrastructure!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

“if we have to reissue all those certs in 24 hours it proves there’s no difference between us and let’s encrypt/zerossl using ACME”