Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

What are the match brackets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
It's frustrating when ratings and attendance are low because I think the product is really good and I'd like to see it succeed. If there's a way for TK to promote his shows better to get numbers up, absolutely go for it, so long as it doesn't impact the product. But I have no problem if he just puts on amazing wrestling matches as an unprofitable hobby.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fawning deference posted:

What are the match brackets?

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1768827692168671515

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
drat that sucks

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
that's a lovely looking tournament

they should do something cooler like a ten team ladder match

that'll really show everyone how original and smart they are

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wait a goddamn second.

So the BCC, who beat FTR completely clean at the last PPV, aren't even in the tournament, but FTR is?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MJeff posted:

I was promised bracket madness! Where's the fuckin' madness?! There's like 9 fuckin' matches in this thing!

This is the stuff that annoys me about AEW and Tony. AEW is absolutely putting on the best weekly in-ring wrestling and show production in at least,north american history and probably in all of wrestling history. It's been such a breath of fresh air after the nightmare decade+ of only WWE.

HOWEVER, knowing Tony is such a wrestling nerd and fantasy booked his own stuff as a kid makes his misses suck that much harder. When I fantasy booked my promotion as a kid when I was holding a tournament for the tag titles I wanted to make those titles feel so loving prestigious that I booked every person in the promotion into the tournament! If they didn't have a partner then they'd tag with a friend. If they didn't have a friend they'd search backstage for someone who didn't have a partner either. Everyone wanted those loving belts that were up for grabs! Whole stories can be developed out of that!

I'd never expect an insane 64 team tag bracket tournament on national tv that spanned months to unfold, but the frustrating thing is we're so close to seeing crazy poo poo like that because a) it would draw and own if done right (see the continental classic's success) and b) Tony HAD to have thought of doing this like the rest of us. He just doesn't do it and we don't get to see it!

He should be shooting to do crazy poo poo. No one will ever be in as good of a position as he is to think outside the box and he so often refuses to do it.

This is garbage!!!!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't understand someone liking tournaments but not liking big tournaments. take care

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was talking about tony khan. take care

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Take care. Spike your hair.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm annoyed by the fact that the BCC aren't in the tournament, but I'm even MORE annoyed that it's a tiny, dinky, lovely-rear end bracket where in theory AEW's tag division has enough depth and programming to have a significantly larger bracket.

Like seriously what the hell?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

gently caress it, bring in 37KAMIINA or Bishamon or any of the cool CMLL teams I don't know, it's can't have been that hard to pump it up to 16 teams and incorporate partner promotions. Even if the fans know they're not going to win it at least gives the illusion that these titles are ones the world wants to have

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
It's alright, folks. I got myself a genuine Nelson box for my Sorny tv and I'm about to turn this discourse around.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

It does look like a tournament where they didn't want anyone important to lose so the first matches are all against jobbers. some of those jobbers are really good wrestlers but they're still jobbers. But maybe every other wrestler in the company is injured, we don't know that

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SG Bamboo posted:

gently caress it, bring in 37KAMIINA or Bishamon or any of the cool CMLL teams I don't know, it's can't have been that hard to pump it up to 16 teams and incorporate partner promotions. Even if the fans know they're not going to win it at least gives the illusion that these titles are ones the world wants to have

Give me every name on AEW's roster and a bottle of whiskey and 5 hours and I'll book you the greatest tag team tournament filled with twists and turns that will dominate both AEW programming and the wrestling world for 3 months and set up a dozen feuds for the rest of the year. This is my promise to you. AEW presents Spring Slam, a 64 team tournament to crown the new AEW Tag Team Champions.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

It does look like a tournament where they didn't want anyone important to lose so the first matches are all against jobbers.

This describes like every loving single-elimination tournament in AEW.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

that's loving dogshit

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

tiny tourney tony needs to be taken out

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Give me names! I want to book a 64 team AEW tag team tournament!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
are the mulkeys still alive

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

MJeff posted:

I was promised bracket madness! Where's the fuckin' madness?! There's like 9 fuckin' matches in this thing!

buncha teams dealing with injuries. They could've got to 16 with teams like Dark Order/Righteous/Hardys/2.0 though I suppose

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

On one hand the bracket is boring and uninteresting. OTOH we don't have jobber teams like Dark order in it. truly the land of contrasts

But really, should of got some CMLL guys in or added BCC. 16 teams would of been cool and it would of filled programming

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

FullMetalJackoff posted:

It's alright, folks. I got myself a genuine Nelson box for my Sorny tv and I'm about to turn this discourse around.

he called it nelson ha ha

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
AEW went bad when CM Punk told Tony to cancel Dark.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The JeriHook experiment lasted a whole week lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MJeff posted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you can’t trust Tiny anymore 😔

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

Give me every name on AEW's roster and a bottle of whiskey and 5 hours and I'll book you the greatest tag team tournament filled with twists and turns that will dominate both AEW programming and the wrestling world for 3 months and set up a dozen feuds for the rest of the year. This is my promise to you. AEW presents Spring Slam, a 64 team tournament to crown the new AEW Tag Team Champions.

it would suck rear end like every booking idea

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

That is a weird bracket. I guess in order to get the last match on PPV it's short and dinky but no BCC, no Bullet Club Gold, no Acclaimed? No Daddy Magic and Cool Hand? Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to why those teams are not in but The Infantry gets a shot. Very strange.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Also I have been hoping for a Daddy Magic Cool Hand push since they started ripping incredible promos. Not sure why they're pure jobbers in AEW, I love those guys. They'd be a fresh face in the division.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Ship Jericho back to his palacial estate, he's cooked with the crowds right now

Critical fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 16, 2024

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Phony Pawn’s Itty Bitty Brackets

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

MJeff posted:

This describes like every loving single-elimination tournament in AEW.

It's true and it's shameful.

Tony Khan should borrow some dice from Brandon Cutler and use them to randomly decide the winner of each match for a little while so he can get out of this weird mentality where the top guys can almost never lose but 90% of the time they're wrestling against jobbers so they don't even look strong in victory.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The JeriHook experiment lasted a whole week lol

Jericho is beating Hook for the FTW title and it's going to be so funny

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

You announce a tourney to coincide with March madness. You give the Infantry promo time. Then they only get a play-in win before losing to FTR instead of a little Cinderella run to put them over.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I watch Dynamite every week and usually Collision and I have no loving idea what "The Infantry" is.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Captain shawn dean and the other fella. I think they'll beat the Hob for "tournament upset" that everyone knows and loves from College madness

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I'm sure HOB will lay down for "The Infantry" 👉🤪

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

The captain will shoot on them