Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pictures taken just before disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Are all the new warbond guns just loving terrible? Because I spent 270 medals to get all the warbond guns and they all seem loving terrible.

The JAR-5 Dominator and Incendiary Breaker seem great, in comparison.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The sickle is likely the best primary gun in the entire game and can completely obsolete ammo pickups?

It's like a liberator if it had over twice the mag size and infinite ammo and no reload because you just swap off it for a few seconds.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It seems to do gently caress all against the big fat green bugs, but then I'm pretty used to only engaging those guys with either punishers or machine gun drops. Still I feel like 60 rounds from a liberator would kill one, wouldn't they? While when I put a whole sickle battery of equivalent damage beams into the thing it doesn't even flinch.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

It seems to do gently caress all against the big fat green bugs, but then I'm pretty used to only engaging those guys with either punishers or machine gun drops. Still I feel like 60 rounds from a liberator would kill one, wouldn't they? While when I put a whole sickle battery of equivalent damage beams into the thing it doesn't even flinch.

Shoot them in the head. They will die surprisingly fast.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Novasol posted:

Shoot them in the head. They will die surprisingly fast.

That works against the yellow versions but the green ones are armored.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

For the green ones you want heavier weaponry anyways. Railguns pop them in one hit, grenade launchers to the sides will two shot them, etc.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The sickle is likely the best primary gun in the entire game and can completely obsolete ammo pickups?

It's like a liberator if it had over twice the mag size and infinite ammo and no reload because you just swap off it for a few seconds.
You get so many heat sinks so you can also just literally reload it and keep firing without worrying if needed too

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
You can also just huck an impact grenade or two at the big green bile spewers and they'll explode just fine. I usually use a flamethrower or arc thrower for taking them out if I don't have many grenades to spare, though.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, there's no shame in struggling with Bile Spewers, they're probably the most technical enemy we have right now. Everyone is on the up-and-up about shooting their butt only with explosives, but from the front their head and body have separate health pools as well. It's not uncommon to land a few shots in each and dramatically extend the bug's lifetime. Between that and the armor and the waggly legs it can sometimes take a dozen slugger shots to put one down. Shot placement is key, but it's not easy - and doubly so when you've got a few coming at you and you have to juggle to keep them stunned. The ability to crawl through their dead friends - impromptu cover until the last second - how deceptively fast and quiet they are, Bile Spewers are extremely demanding. Keep your finger on that grenade key, grenades are a limited resource but reinforcements are morso.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

raverrn posted:

Yeah, there's no shame in struggling with Bile Spewers, they're probably the most technical enemy we have right now. Everyone is on the up-and-up about shooting their butt only with explosives, but from the front their head and body have separate health pools as well. It's not uncommon to land a few shots in each and dramatically extend the bug's lifetime. Between that and the armor and the waggly legs it can sometimes take a dozen slugger shots to put one down. Shot placement is key, but it's not easy - and doubly so when you've got a few coming at you and you have to juggle to keep them stunned. The ability to crawl through their dead friends - impromptu cover until the last second - how deceptively fast and quiet they are, Bile Spewers are extremely demanding. Keep your finger on that grenade key, grenades are a limited resource but reinforcements are morso.

While everyone was screeching about Bile Titans and Chargers, I know these fuckers were the real enemy. Nothing on the bug front is quite as consistent in killing me as spewers, and they're the big reason I started using the Slugger against bugs. It's got enough penetration to punch through a Bile Spewer's face plate and the stagger keeps them from 360-no-scope-perfect-tracking me.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The spewer acid is by far my leading cause of death— if it doesn’t just oneshot me I’m left with a sliver of health no matter what. Bile spewers in general are just kinda unfun and one of the reasons I prefer bots to bugs.

E: Yes I realize bots have rocket raiders but they’re much leas of a pain to take down.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finally had a satisfying round vs diff 7 bots at Draupnir with this setup:

Heavy armor with explosive resist, Stamina booster always if someone else on the team doesn't take it. I've had enough rocket deaths from the fog in this lifetime, and you need stamina as a heavy armor user.

Slugger main, Spear heavy weapon, Impact grenades. Slugger is my best friend against bots, Spear is the clincher: thanks to a good friend of mine for the inspiration because it can smash cannon turrets and fabricators when it works. But when it does, man, nothing like clearing an outpost and loving off instantly to move on. Impacts suck against fabricators but you have other tools, and Impacts gently caress over chicken walkers instantly.

Eagle Airstrike, 500KG/Railcannon, and Eagle/Orbital Smoke: Airstrike over Cluster since it can also blow up fabricators when the Spear fails. 500KG vs. Railcannon is a mood: 2 charges of 500KG is plenty of boom and it's the guaranteed "please kill this loving eye of robo-Sauron thing before the team spends all our reinforcements on it" option at the cost of having to land it properly; in contrast, Railcannon reliably deletes a big thing but I've seen it diverge from a detector or cannon tower kill to pick a tank or hulk, and TBH I very much prefer those towers dead.

Smoke is the secret sauce, especially with heavy armor: there's no outrunning a gunline, but you can blind them and gently caress off to safety, which in truth you should be doing an incredible amount of against bots which I am not a fan of but that's the price of being able to earn super rare samples. Blow up targets from as far away as you can manage, smoke out when it gets stupidly hot, which is often, and just keep running and not taking fights. It's not worth it, it sucks but it is what it is.

That said I do wonder if it's feasible to switch to Recoilless over the Spear just so I can actively shoot poo poo instead of relying on the dodgy lock. No idea if it can blow up fabricators from a distance, and I know the reload speed is significantly worse. Also wondering if Orbital or Eagle smokes are better, because multiple smoke charges is nice but not having to mind the Eagle cooldown mechanic is very good.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 16, 2024

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

IMO it's just as easy to blow up a fabricator with an impact grenade as it is with regular grenades. I've had so many regular grenades bounce off the flaps at a bad angle instead of going in until I switched to impacts, and once you know the angles (lower than you think, though that's probably partially due to my throwing armour) it's not hard to pop them with impacts.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I tried the spear just now on bots 7 and this piece of poo poo locked on to dick all the entire match. Staring with a fab fully in the circle? No lock. Wiggle it around? No lock. Aim at a tank? Lock a minion nearby. Hulk coming at us? No lock. Cannon turret? No lock.

Very frustrating experience. Getting elevation, getting level, crawling underneath poo poo, none of it helped.

Darox posted:

IMO it's just as easy to blow up a fabricator with an impact grenade as it is with regular grenades. I've had so many regular grenades bounce off the flaps at a bad angle instead of going in until I switched to impacts, and once you know the angles (lower than you think, though that's probably partially due to my throwing armour) it's not hard to pop them with impacts.

Yea with impacts i found that you kind of want to skim the bottom line on a straighter trajectory rather than trying to arc it in there (cuz it will just explode against the flap) - worked about 50/50 for me. Throwing through the door is easy with impacts tho.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Yea this is it, you find a map with some nice SC amounts, deploy -> collect -> alt-F4 -> deploy -> collect -> alt - f4

So what are the earnings/hour, if 1000 SC is 10 bucks? Will it be over or under minimum wage?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Also why games feel like they descend into madness unless I bring a GL with an ammo backpack? Somehow teammates always generate more bugs&robots than they can deal with, and GL kills everything efficiently except hulks/chargers and tanks/bile titans.

The heavily armoured enemies don’t seem to be a problem for teams, but out of control amount of fodder are if you can’t kill them fast enough. And GL fits the job perfectly, wiping out any amount of trash mobs.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I'm enjoying the electro shotgun, paired with the grenade launcher and a backpack feels about right

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Ihmemies posted:

So what are the earnings/hour, if 1000 SC is 10 bucks? Will it be over or under minimum wage?

I just do it on company time while listening to podcasts so I'm getting paid to do it. If you get a good seed you could probably get around 2000+ in an hour if you actually have to spend free time on it.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
note the scorcher (plasma AR primary) demolishes nursing spewers hardcore and is a great weapon in general.if you're good with your secondary and you have a non explosive support weapon

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Ihmemies posted:

Also why games feel like they descend into madness unless I bring a GL with an ammo backpack? Somehow teammates always generate more bugs&robots than they can deal with, and GL kills everything efficiently except hulks/chargers and tanks/bile titans.

The heavily armoured enemies don’t seem to be a problem for teams, but out of control amount of fodder are if you can’t kill them fast enough. And GL fits the job perfectly, wiping out any amount of trash mobs.

I bring either a grenade launcher and pack or an autocannon often on bug missions because it's rare to find someone else with anti spewer stuff should the mission have them. It's nearly always all anti-bile titan stuff. If there's no spewers my guns are still excellent, but I find missions are much harder if they're there and noone's brought a kit for them

bandaid.friend fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 16, 2024

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it's a lot better than when you'd load into a party and see the other three all rocking the railgun but a lot of people still feel the need to rambo half a dozen bile titans and squads tend to lack hoard clear as a reault

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Jerkface posted:

I just do it on company time while listening to podcasts so I'm getting paid to do it. If you get a good seed you could probably get around 2000+ in an hour if you actually have to spend free time on it.

As a student, 2000SC/hour sounds lucrative. Even 1000SC/hour would be worth it, so I'll give it a try. I'll probably end up earn ingonly 200SC/hour though so welp :v:

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

bandaid.friend posted:

I bring either a grenade launcher and pack or an autocannon often on bug missions because it's rare to find someone else with anti spewer stuff should the mission have them. It's nearly always all anti-bile titan stuff. If there's no spewers my guns are still excellent, but I find missions are much harder if they're there and noone's brought a kit for them

Grenade launcher or standard issue MG seems to be decent go to for people who dont want to lose backpack for AC on popping bile spitters.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I just played a game with three others - two ran towards an enemy base as I pinged the jammer directly next to it. I warned them, went for the jammer and one of them died immediately on entering the base. They kept slamming the reinforce request while I told them I couldn't help, and quickly ragequit, just before I got the jammer offline, taking their friend with them

You should not be playing level seven, fellow

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm surprised at the lack of voice chat used by pubbies. No one really bothers with it.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

bandaid.friend posted:

I just played a game with three others - two ran towards an enemy base as I pinged the jammer directly next to it. I warned them, went for the jammer and one of them died immediately on entering the base. They kept slamming the reinforce request while I told them I couldn't help, and quickly ragequit, just before I got the jammer offline, taking their friend with them

You should not be playing level seven, fellow

But that is entry level for super samples. Maybe level 8 is more chill?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Honestly, 7 seems to be where most people congregrate now, as the level where Super samples are present, but the game doesn't dump a ton of Bile Titans/Hulks on you. So unfortunately a bad 7 won't really tell you whether or not you should be going up in difficulty or not.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Janissary Hop posted:

That works against the yellow versions but the green ones are armored.

This explains a hell of a lot about why I was unloading breaker ammo into them all night last night since they were in every map I ran but never freaking died.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Fellow Democrats I just learned about the Maginot Line and how Germany cheated in WWII by going around it.

It's a good thing bugs cant turn right or left though.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
There's no stratagem that's particularly efficient at sealing bug holes, is there? Airstrikes drop in a pretty narrow line and depending on angle can miss a bug hole right on its path, and the 500kg bomb seems to not do any damage to something if there's even an inch of occluding terrain in the way. When you get some massive hive with 9+ holes to seal in a circle around a big crater, it seems like there should be a better way of dealing with that other than running around and popping each hole one by one with grenades or explosive support weapons, especially on solo runs where that's an even greater hassle.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jossar posted:

Honestly, 7 seems to be where most people congregrate now, as the level where Super samples are present, but the game doesn't dump a ton of Bile Titans/Hulks on you. So unfortunately a bad 7 won't really tell you whether or not you should be going up in difficulty or not.

I don't really need supersamples anymore and 5 or 6 are just more fun to roam around in with friends, I'm honestly more starved for green samples atm

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vanguard Warden posted:

There's no stratagem that's particularly efficient at sealing bug holes, is there? Airstrikes drop in a pretty narrow line and depending on angle can miss a bug hole right on its path, and the 500kg bomb seems to not do any damage to something if there's even an inch of occluding terrain in the way. When you get some massive hive with 9+ holes to seal in a circle around a big crater, it seems like there should be a better way of dealing with that other than running around and popping each hole one by one with grenades or explosive support weapons, especially on solo runs where that's an even greater hassle.

Grenade Launcher

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah with only one more ship module for me to unlock I'm content with doing Difficulty 6 at max. If I'm with friends we'll do 7s and 8s because we all at least know we're competent enough.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Vanguard Warden posted:

I use Eagle Cluster Bomb on bug nests and it'll eradicate most - if not all - bug holes. I love it for bug nests, it's completed before we even set foot inside. For egg missions where you gotta go destroy those big egg bases, it's hit or miss because of the geometry of the surrounding landscape. I used to use grenade launcher but I found it underwhelming for killing armoured bugs so I prefer running with an EAT.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Molrok posted:

Fellow Democrats I just learned about the Maginot Line and how Germany cheated in WWII by going around it.

It's a good thing bugs cant turn right or left though.

I'm gonna history nerd on this for a second: the Maginot line did what it was supposed to do in channeling German forces through Belgium. That was the entire purpose of the line, they weren't trying to build fortress France and forgot a gap, they were trying to dictate where battles happened. If the French forces had been quicker and the German slightly slower there would have been a much longer fight.

What's the takeaway here? Obviously, that if the TCS fails to contain it will be because of insufficient helldiver elan on our part.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Saraiguma posted:

note the scorcher (plasma AR primary) demolishes nursing spewers hardcore and is a great weapon in general.if you're good with your secondary and you have a non explosive support weapon
Yeah after using the Sickle for a bit I was really dissapointed at how bad it is against green spewers (which have become quite common it feels like) so I went back to the Scorcher. Plus if you hit the ground underneath nearby bugs for the splash damage it greatly lowers the chance of you hitting yourself with it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Last night I was in a game that was hopeless. I was the last man standing with 10 minutes remaining and the shuttle not even called. Instead of wasting everyone's time with a definitive loss, I just called down every strategem available on top of myself, cooked a grenade, and let the bugs engulf me.

Entire group all wrote "For Democracy!" as I went out in a blaze of glory.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Benagain posted:

I'm gonna history nerd on this for a second: the Maginot line did what it was supposed to do in channeling German forces through Belgium. That was the entire purpose of the line, they weren't trying to build fortress France and forgot a gap, they were trying to dictate where battles happened. If the French forces had been quicker and the German slightly slower there would have been a much longer fight.

What's the takeaway here? Obviously, that if the TCS fails to contain it will be because of insufficient helldiver elan on our part.
Yup, the Maginot Line was is pretty unfairly maligned. It did its job; unfortunately the rest of the French army still got beaten in the field despite it shunting the Germans through Belgium.

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more about elan in HD2. The idea that if soldiers just had more enthusiasm and verve they could overcome more meaningless things like "crippling absence of supply and communication lines" or "overlapping artillery and machine gun kill zones across broken fields" seems pretty on point for the SEAF.

Anyway, I'm only on difficulty 5 but whooo boy why are people so keen to teamkill you if you touch their samples after they die?

Also, hunters and spewers are definitely my biggest enemies. Chargers suck but I'm getting better and EATing their face when I remember to crouch before firing so the rocket doesn't fly sideways. Is there a good way to kill them if they are charging an ally besides just slamming rockets into their sides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Bit late, but on the subject of open mics... change the loving batteries in your smoke detectors.