Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I would listen to an infinite number of 15 second Chadley monologues if they stopped with the enforced slow walking on rails poo poo for part 3.

Just make it a cutscene I will happily watch those forever, if I can’t influence the outcome or gently caress off and do something else then I don’t need to be pressing any buttons!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Any tips on UPA coliseum?
  • For the first fight, you can sleep one of the two mobs and just completely kill the other one while the first one takes a nap.
  • For the second fight, swap your equipment/materia so that everyone has instant death resistance. That pretty much trivializes the fight.
  • The third fight is really easy.
  • For the fourth fight, once again you can use sleep on the Jokers which makes it much easier. I recommend just sleeping one so you can focus on the other one, the frog isn't too bad but consider keeping a Cleansing materia ready.
  • The fifth fight is pretty easy again.

Notably, many of the mobs in the UPA coliseum are not immune to sleep, stop, or petrify, so you can also just completely CC them and stop them from doing anything dangerous. Barret with Lifesaver and Chakra/Prayer allows him to keep the party healthy without spending any MP, so you can use the MP on all your other members to just lock down the dangerous mobs.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Hyper Inferno posted:

• For the first fight, you can sleep one of the two mobs and just completely kill the other one while the first one takes a nap.
  • For the second fight, swap your equipment/materia so that everyone has instant death resistance. That pretty much trivializes the fight.
  • The third fight is really easy.
  • For the fourth fight, once again you can use sleep on the Jokers which makes it much easier. I recommend just sleeping one so you can focus on the other one, the frog isn't too bad but consider keeping a Cleansing materia ready.
  • The fifth fight is pretty easy again.

Notably, many of the mobs in the UPA coliseum are not immune to sleep, stop, or petrify, so you can also just completely CC them and stop them from doing anything dangerous. Barret with Lifesaver and Chakra/Prayer allows him to keep the party healthy without spending any MP, so you can use the MP on all your other members to just lock down the dangerous mobs.

I always forget about sleep, I might try that strategy! Thanks!

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Is there another round of minigames that unlock after you beat the game? I've cleaned up all the hard mode minigames that unlock during my first playthrough (Fort Condor, Gambits/Gears, Cactaur Crush) and was wondering if any of the other minigames unlock a new difficulty on hard mode.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

I would listen to an infinite number of 15 second Chadley monologues if they stopped with the enforced slow walking on rails poo poo for part 3.

Just make it a cutscene I will happily watch those forever, if I can’t influence the outcome or gently caress off and do something else then I don’t need to be pressing any buttons!!!!!!!!

I can only imagine that these came about because of complaints about too many / too long / too frequent cutscenes in previous games...

and somebody's brilliant idea for "fixing" that ended up making it so, so much worse...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like there's far less slow walking than in Remake tbh?

E: I guess it mostly got replaced with slow climbing

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

But I enjoy an environmental traversal mechanic. Shoulda kept the grappling hook about after Corel.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

there’s a lot of it in the final stretch

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Augus posted:

his voice is fine it’s just the part where he stops the gameplay to have you stare at a watch while he stares back at you vacantly for 5 seconds before finally talking and it’s just “good job finding that lifespring, cloud, onto the next one” that gets grating

That's fair. I actually like the MAI ones before the battle trials, though. Get to hear lore about the critters I'm about to murder.

My favorite was the big spiky guys in Gongaga where MAI just goes "despire their appearance, these are friendly social creatures who only attack humans when defending their young" and you still murder them. Later you fight a red version that actually is corrupted by mako and violent/dangerous, just to drive home that you were basically just killing these poor innocent animals in the other trial.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
There's a part at the beginning of the final chapter where you're forced to walk 400y really slowly.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
One thing that was crazy to me is they give you relatively fast wall climbing/running as Red in his dungeon and it's genuinely pretty fun and zippy, then bafflingly they make you slowly amble along the yellow ledges for the entire rest of the game.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah.

This chapters theme is mountain climbing with chocobos. I wonder what kinda cool climbs I'll see?
Oh, they're just vertical walls with arrows and chocobo tags and you slow walk up them?
And there's no animation change from normal walking, just assets flipped 90 degrees sideways.
characters are just sitting on chocobos normally. There's no gravity.
Also you can slide the vertical walls down, except the chocobo is wrong way around to do that kind of nail braking.
Talk about low :effort: climbing.

Same thing with Barret in ch3. He just does the climbing and jumping like cloud except with one hand, which look pretty stupid.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 16, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's kinda dizzying how this game swerves wildly back and forth between exuberant lavish excess and cheap thrifty hacks, between finely tuned elegance and jank. Frankly I find it fitting with FFVII (and the ReGames) tonal swerves so I'm not even sure I'd class it as a problem in and of itself but it's very funny.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

My recent "... what why" moment is chapter 10 chocobo gliding being an annoying nuisance and chapter 11 immediately showing how to do it fun and zippy. They figured it out a chapter later but decided to just leave it be.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

True.

The wall climbing would have been cool, if it was something like almost vertical natural wall with small footholds.
Too hard to climb for Cloud, but Chocobo would climb and jump up like a mountain goats.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

thebardyspoon posted:

One thing that was crazy to me is they give you relatively fast wall climbing/running as Red in his dungeon and it's genuinely pretty fun and zippy, then bafflingly they make you slowly amble along the yellow ledges for the entire rest of the game.

Same with yuffie being a ninja who does standing backflips every 10 seconds, having to shuffle along the ledges the exact same way as Cloud.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Son of Rodney posted:

My recent "... what why" moment is chapter 10 chocobo gliding being an annoying nuisance and chapter 11 immediately showing how to do it fun and zippy. They figured it out a chapter later but decided to just leave it be.

Yeah I didn't even realize the Nibel chocos had a glide function since the water blast was doing most of what I needed, but after starting to use the glide it really started being a joy to control.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Cosmo Canyon's layout is so much better than Gongaga. The map is visually better where you can see where the ramps are to the higher part areas.

Also, the Cosmo Observatory is so cool. I turned on Graphics mode just to look at everything in the area.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
How the poo poo is Sephiroth easier than the Party Animal in 3D Brawler

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How the poo poo is Sephiroth easier than the Party Animal in 3D Brawler

attacks are easier to read in exchange for sky high stamina. thank god for the pause exploit

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Rabid Snake posted:

Cosmo Canyon's layout is so much better than Gongaga. The map is visually better where you can see where the ramps are to the higher part areas.

Also, the Cosmo Observatory is so cool. I turned on Graphics mode just to look at everything in the area.

Gongaga's map is just so hard to read without topography. The thing that wild to me in Cosmo Canyon is the psycho who made camera stick also work as glide controls!

What I if want to look at something without soaring to it???

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 16, 2024

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Just rolled credits after about 100 hours. I'm exhausted.

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
Had a great session tonight, did the Quetzalcotl beast thingy (double cast blizzara ftw) and scraped a pretty sloppy victory on the serpent thanks to the absolute tanks that are Barrett and Red XIII.

Also I've not seen it mentioned here, perhaps because yous are all better at the game than me, but if you're in dire straits you can do a "Backline Ability" move, where you team up with someone who isn't in the active party. Pretty cool!

Edit: Oh, and Chadley sucks

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I think MAI should have been involved in more than just the combat world intel. Chadley is at his best when he has her to bounce off of.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Selene if you have hover jets why didn't you just fuckin' hover over the cacti

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

What’s everyone’s party setup/strategy for the super final protorelic boss fights? I got to the island and did one right before bed and near finished it before getting party one shot by gigasomething

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What’s everyone’s party setup/strategy for the super final protorelic boss fights? I got to the island and did one right before bed and near finished it before getting party one shot by gigasomething

easy mode, unless you don't want to tackle it until NG+. the final opponent of that quest is far more manageable if only because you're not being ping-ponged between two top-level bosses at once

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm practicing the Aerith's Theme piano, and the vast majority is fine, but I have no loving idea what it wants from me at the very beginning. The notes are simple, but for some reason it instantly says I've missed the beats immediately following the first beat. Like I play the first note (which is fine and logged as "Great"), and the next couple instantly become Misses before I can play them. It's extremely bizarre and I'm starting to wonder if it's a bug, because the rest of the piece is fine. But I haven't once been able to prevent it from instantly changing the notes after the first one into Misses. First time anything like this has happened in any of the piano pieces.

Edit: I paid really close attention the last few times, and the instant I hit the first note the other two incoming notes Miss.

Edit2: it's every single trio of notes like the one in the beginning, after playing the first double note (with both sides) the following two always become Misses. I'm very confused.

Edit3: I found a trick to at least reduce the damage. If I deliberately skip the second note in each of those trios, it lets me play the third. Second is still impossible to play, for whatever reason.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 16, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kin posted:

For me it's that the repeated animations are just that little bit too long.like the chocobo stations.

Every time cloud does that little sign adjustment, I'm like come on already. Same with the use of cushions.

You can pick up the sign while riding a chocobo, and animation feels a lot shorter (it's also cooler since the chocobo does it with one foot).

Ror posted:

I’ve been exposed as a phony, blinded by my dislike of Johnny.

Most of the characters that are on the fence for me turn out be be EU characters, like I didn’t know who Cissnei or Glenn were but I definitely didn’t care about them as much as the game seemed to want me to.

Then again new characters like Roche exist so maybe it’s all just a matter of execution and taste.

Speaking as someone who actually liked Cissnei in Crisis Core, I really disliked her cameo in this game because it felt so pointless. Like, it was so blatantly trying to cash in on nostalgia that even someone who should be nostalgic for her found it insulting more than anything. It would've been better if they'd treated her like they do the new characters.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Unlike the battles in the simulator, you're allowed to use items in these fights. I used a team of Cloud, Yuffie, and Barret for all the fights. Barret has all the items perk materias and the healing bonus accessory, along with Chakra and Prayer. His sole job in all these fights is to keep Lifesaver up and tank for the party. If he has excess ATB, then he just constantly throws Focused Shot to just build stagger a little quicker. If you go into the enrage attacks with full HP, you can pretty easily survive and heal back up since Barett blunts it so much on the other two.

Also, in the very final fight, you get overworld support if you fall into critical HP which lets you get a free Synergy attack off.

Barret is easily the MVP for helping me survive a lot of the seemingly difficult fights throughout pretty much the entire game. I barely pay attention to dodging or blocking because Lifesaver just absorbs so much pressure and coupled with Barret's own healing passives, Chakra can easily keep him healthy which in turn keeps the party healthy.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ror posted:

I’ve been exposed as a phony, blinded by my dislike of Johnny.

Most of the characters that are on the fence for me turn out be be EU characters, like I didn’t know who Cissnei or Glenn were but I definitely didn’t care about them as much as the game seemed to want me to.

Then again new characters like Roche exist so maybe it’s all just a matter of execution and taste.

Hard same, cissnei just registered as kinda tryhard and maybe some fanfic character from a writer who really wanted her in, figuring out that she's from crisis core made so much sense.

As much as I'm a FF7 ultra, I never played any of the accompanying games and I still feel no compulsion to do so.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Crisis Core has the exact same writer as this game. Using "fanfic" as a dismissive pejorative is weird.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I looked up the platinum trophy list for this game and holy poo poo. I’m not doing that

Great game though just it has one of those platinums that seems to be “do literally everything”

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Started replaying the OG for the first time in 20 years

Holy poo poo my perception on how long Midgar is has really been warped over the years. 3 hours in and Red is already in my party

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
To be fair the Midgar portion is longer if you take your time exploring and talking to people for the first time and that's probably what people remember.

Still nowhere near remake tho

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I feel real bad that Red is never in my general use party.

Supernal Fervor is great but he feels like doodoo to play, I literally only charge up Vengeance Mode by letting the AI handle him for a bit while I play someone else. I'm up to chapter 12 and I feel like his in-party time ended with his narrative arc too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Maybe you should block more, it's great.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Clarste posted:

Maybe you should block more, it's great.

I block lots, Cloud is fun and easy to Punisher mode!

Red's wonky swipes and short range make him genuinely feel worse to play than Cait Sith who (at least once the moogle is out) will happily barrel into an enemy and stunlock weaker ones with no effort. "Needs a First Strike materia to feel good in battle" is a small price to pay considering he hits like a truck and also Moogle Magic is a hilarious ability.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Crisis Core has the exact same writer as this game. Using "fanfic" as a dismissive pejorative is weird.

In fact, he's also got one of the story credits for the original FFVII, too. He didn't write Dirge of Cerberus (he just gets a special thanks), though, so can't blame him for that I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cissnei is written as if the player already cares about her and therefore sees no reason to make her do anything that would make the player care about her. I don't care that it's the same writer who originally wrote her; if anything that just makes it worse. If it's the writer's pet character then it is literally the kind of fanfic writing being complained about?