Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

edit accidental post

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
The Republic of Caspia and the DPR Black Sea agree: Taste the Feeling

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

soviet elsa posted:

"1. France is a more multi-ethnic and multilingual state than Russia."
uhhhhhhhh

That's a really funny thing to say when you're invading a country with a different national language than your own.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

That's a really funny thing to say when you're invading a country with a different national language than your own.

there've been many recent developments on this subject

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_policy_in_Ukraine

quote:

The 2012 law On the principles of the State language policy [uk] granted regional language status to Russian and other minority languages. It allowed the use of minority languages in courts, schools and other government institutions in areas of Ukraine where the national minorities exceed 10% of the population.[1][2] The 2012 law was supported by the governing Party of Regions and opposed by the opposition parties, who argued that the law undermined the role of the Ukrainian language, violated Article 10 of the Constitution,[2][3][4] and was adopted with an irregular procedure.[5][6] Immediately after the 2014 Ukrainian revolution, on 23 February 2014, the Ukrainian Parliament voted to repeal the law. This decision was vetoed by the acting President Turchynov.[7][8] In October 2014, the Constitutional Court started reviewing the constitutionality of the 2012 law[9] and declared it unconstitutional on 28 February 2018.[10]

In April 2019, the Ukrainian parliament voted a new law, the law "On supporting the functioning of the Ukrainian language as the State language". The law made the use of Ukrainian compulsory (totally or within quotas) in more than 30 spheres of public life, including public administration, electoral process, education, science, culture, media, economic and social life, health and care institutions, and activities of political parties. The law did not regulate private communication. Some exemptions were provided for the official languages of the European Union and for minority languages, with the exclusion of Russian, Belarusian and Yiddish.[11][12] The Venice Commission and Human Rights Watch expressed concern about the 2019 law's failure to protect the language rights of Ukrainian minorities.[12][13] On 8 December 2023, the Ukrainian parliament passed a bill that claimed to have fixed this issues and was adopted in order to meet one of the European Commission’s criteria for the opening of Ukrainian European Union membership negotiations.[14]

Following the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, on 19 June the Ukrainian parliament passed two laws which placed restrictions on Russian books and music. The new laws ban Russian citizens from printing books unless they take Ukrainian citizenship, prohibit the import of books printed in Russia, Belarus and the occupied Ukrainian territories, and prohibit the reproduction in the media and public transport of music performed or created by post-1991 Russian citizens, unless the musicians are included in a "white list" of artists who have publicly condemned Russian aggression against Ukraine.[15][16][17]

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

What the hell, talk about shafting Finland.

If you want to shaft Finland, you'd want to give them Sweden and possibly Norway. That's just basic geoanatomy

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The Fernando Alonso projection

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So is that supposed to mean that all the red areas combined have 328 million trips per year, while the blue area alone has 466 million trips a year?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Torrannor posted:

So is that supposed to mean that all the red areas combined have 328 million trips per year, while the blue area alone has 466 million trips a year?

Weird how when one side of the ledger excludes all US cities with a non-bus public transport system and the other has Vancouver that’s what you get.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Weird how when one side of the ledger excludes all US cities with a non-bus public transport system and the other has Vancouver that’s what you get.

Vancouver doesn't even have underground rail though, so the point still stands.

Plus it's not like Texas has no big cities or anything.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Even if you just limited it to only buses Vancouver would still have more, Canadian cities just have way more transit ridership per capita than US cities that aren't New York.

edit: okay maybe not more, but the numbers look at least close

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 16, 2024

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Private Speech posted:

Vancouver doesn't even have underground rail though, so the point still stands.

Plus it's not like Texas has no big cities or anything.

??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaletown%E2%80%93Roundhouse_station

If that’s the standard you’re holding cities to goddamn Chicago doesn’t have a metro.

And it’s not that there are no big cities, it’s that there are no big cities that don’t require a car to live in.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

If that’s the standard you’re holding cities to goddamn Chicago doesn’t have a metro.

Debatable IMO.

And it’s not that there are no big cities, it’s that there are no big cities that don’t require a car to live in.

Well yeah that's the point.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Llamadeus posted:

Even if you just limited it to only buses Vancouver would still have more, Canadian cities just have way more transit ridership per capita than US cities that aren't New York.

edit: okay maybe not more, but the numbers look at least close

This is quite the chart.

Now show one with say Paris or Tokyo or Shanghai

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

yes congratulations you got it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

i say swears online posted:

there've been many recent developments on this subject

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_policy_in_Ukraine

The focus should obviously be on the ongoing war, but it'll be really interesting to see how the linguistic situation in Ukraine evolves in the future. Once a certain language (in this case Russian) has been established as the relatively prestigious lingua franca, and it has tons of native speakers in the major cities, which traditionally function as cultural centers that project their influence outwards, it is very difficult to dislodge it from that position.
On the other hand, Putin's invasion has already surgically removed the most heavily Russian-speaking parts of the country, and speaking Ukrainian (which the vast majority of Ukrainians are at least theoretically capable of doing regardless of which language they use in daily life) is now framed as an act of patriotism. Both of these trends could eventually contribute to Ukrainian becoming the sole national language, in practice and not just in terms of policy, but that would take a while.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I'm pretty biased posting from here and all, but Dallas is a great example of how technically good public transit is not the same as actual.

We have trains. We love trains. Everyone I talk to loves riding trains and opines "drat, sure would be nice if we had more trains here." Choo choo motherfucker. But the sad reality is the trains suck rear end. You can get from downtown Dallas to Denton, alright, I know that route well as do many an inebriated student. If you're in downtown Fort Worth, want to go to say, the Dallas Aquarium without braving the eternal traffic jam that is the entire middle part of DFW, great.

For 99% of what people actual need transit for in their daily lives, it's cars or bust. And the people in charge are the people who are scared that a train might bring a homeless person into their peripheral vision, and own several trucks with all the extra features, so, well, gently caress us. We are as bloodthirsty as the Aztecs, and our god is named Ford.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The only way to advance better forms of transport is to disadvantage cars.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Using caltrops.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

FreudianSlippers posted:

The only way to advance better forms of transport is to disadvantage cars.

I advocate for speed bumps everywhere and state-sponsored comfy shoes

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, by Wikipedia's metrics, Dallas has the longest light rail* system in the country by mileage, but it lags way behind in actual ridership numbers because people just don't live densely enough for there to be many people near stations, and even if you are relatively close to a station, DFW is generally not a good place for pedestrians, so it's hard for people to get to a station unless they already are willing to get into a car. Some suburbs actively fought off plans to build rail lines nearby.

Of course there is more ridership than I expected, and as the DFW has grown, it has this whole weird multi-core edge-city thing going on where there's a lot of separate areas of higher density that could really use mass-transit connections between eachother, but the system is not yet designed to take advantage of that; it's really only good to get you to downtown Dallas and back. Maybe connect to some of the worst Amtrak lines in the country if that's your fancy.

*a separately listed category from "rapid transit" systems like the NYC subway.

Phlegmish posted:

The focus should obviously be on the ongoing war, but it'll be really interesting to see how the linguistic situation in Ukraine evolves in the future. Once a certain language (in this case Russian) has been established as the relatively prestigious lingua franca, and it has tons of native speakers in the major cities, which traditionally function as cultural centers that project their influence outwards, it is very difficult to dislodge it from that position.
On the other hand, Putin's invasion has already surgically removed the most heavily Russian-speaking parts of the country, and speaking Ukrainian (which the vast majority of Ukrainians are at least theoretically capable of doing regardless of which language they use in daily life) is now framed as an act of patriotism. Both of these trends could eventually contribute to Ukrainian becoming the sole national language, in practice and not just in terms of policy, but that would take a while.

Yeah, if you dig into internal Ukrainian politics before the invasion (and y'know, aside from the technical civil war that the Russian-sponsored separatists were engaging in before the invasion), it was pretty deeply unwell, and their ex-comedian president was fairly unpopular, but there's nothing like a shared existential struggle like this one to build a stronger national identity to cut through all the strife (and weirdly now that they're in open war with Russia, that means that all the Russian-sponsored people who seeded political strife can now be shut down with charges of treason). It's anyone's guess how Ukraine will be after the war, but that probably depends on how the war ends anyways.

There's also the ethnicly Ukrainian population of Russia to consider, and I'm not really sure how they've been doing during the course of the war, and whether Putin hs been working to marginalize or purge them like his forces have been in the territories they occupy. I haven't heard much about that. No telling how that'll be after the war either.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm going into battle and I need your strongest maps.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

So sick of all these Penguin supremacists.

On some idiot projections, Africa is bigger than Greenland.

brb googling strong maps.

ok this one is really funny and yeah, checks out.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Econmic

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ukrainian and Russian are also pretty close, as far as I know they're mutually intelligible, especially if you aren't from Eastern Russia where you wouldn't normally hear Ukrainian (whatever that means in this context, I think Kamchatka was populated with Ukrainians to Russify the place). I have Russian and Ukrainian coworkers (the Russians are not in Russia anymore) and they just speak whatever feels natural to each other as far as I know.

But yeah, nationalism is rarely a good outcome, even if it makes sense in the context of being invaded.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BonHair posted:

Ukrainian and Russian are also pretty close, as far as I know they're mutually intelligible, especially if you aren't from Eastern Russia where you wouldn't normally hear Ukrainian (whatever that means in this context, I think Kamchatka was populated with Ukrainians to Russify the place). I have Russian and Ukrainian coworkers (the Russians are not in Russia anymore) and they just speak whatever feels natural to each other as far as I know.

But yeah, nationalism is rarely a good outcome, even if it makes sense in the context of being invaded.

You would be incorrect.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Why is Antarctica labeled "EMO", upside down?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've tried driving in Köbenhamn, Stockholm, and Göteborg.

It was a nightmare. Pure poo poo.

I've also tried using public transport or just walking around in the same places and it was 10000% better.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mutual eligibility is more a spectrum than a real yes or no. There's crossover in a lot of vocabulary and grammar. The things I saw while googling said that it was easier to understand between Ukrainian and either Belarusian or Polish than it was to understand Russian, but they're still related, so who knows how much the average person could muddle through.

I went looking for some kind of visualization, and found this map in Italian, which I don't know, but my knowledge of spanish and english helps me figure some of it out. I actually tried to dig a little deeper for the source information, but while I found one of the cited papers, that one doesn't actually go into the eastern slavic languages in its data.

Possibly the general cultural presence of Russian things in Ukraine would probably give a lot of Ukrainians extra understanding of Russian anyways, which confuses the concept further. But I'd also expect there to be some other cultural/ethnic signifiers that they may differentiate themselves by, but god knows what. They're about the same religion.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Muscle Tracer posted:

Why is Antarctica labeled "EMO", upside down?

You'd be pretty emo if you had to live in Antarctica all the time

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Possibly the general cultural presence of Russian things in Ukraine would probably give a lot of Ukrainians extra understanding of Russian anyways, which confuses the concept further. But I'd also expect there to be some other cultural/ethnic signifiers that they may differentiate themselves by, but god knows what. They're about the same religion.

IIRC, until about 2 years ago, Russian was mandatory to study in Ukraine, so basically every Ukrainian knows Russian. Very few Russians would ever bother learning Ukrainian (most would consider it beneath them); but most would assume it's barely different.

Look, I was born in Ukraine, and I am a native speaker of Russian. I had something like 7 years of Ukrainian in school, though some of it was still based on Soviet curriculum, which used a rather Russified dialect. I cannot reliably understand all Ukrainian text, and more formal stuff basically needs a dictionary.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 17, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

OddObserver posted:

IIRC, until about 2 years ago, Russian was mandatory to study in Ukraine, so basically every Ukrainian knows Russian. Very few Russians would ever bother learning Ukrainian (most would consider it beneath them); but most would assume it's barely different.

Look, I was born in Ukraine, and I am a native speaker of Russian. I had something like 7 years of Ukrainian in school, though some of it was still based on Soviet curriculum, which used a rather Russified dialect. I cannot reliably understand all Ukrainian text, and more formal stuff basically needs a dictionary.

What the gently caress even is language??? My native language is "Arabic." But it sounds a bit like when I went to Morocco. Everyone understood me, because of TV broadcasts using my accent, but guess how long I lasted before begging for English instead? Or there is Hebrew. A notably weird case I studied very religiously for years. Can't ask for the bathroom in Tel Aviv without us having to revert to using Bible quotes.

But these are both single "languages."

Map for the map gods.

EasilyConfused posted:

You'd be pretty emo if you had to live in Antarctica all the time

Penguins love MCR. Everyone knows this about penguins.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

soviet elsa posted:

Can't ask for the bathroom in Tel Aviv without us having to revert to using Bible quotes.

Is there a Biblical quote about asking where the little messiahs' room is?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

soviet elsa posted:

What the gently caress even is language???

Famously, a dialect with an army and a navy [1].
You are right, of course, that it's very political.

Russia frequently doesn't want Ukrainian and Belarusian to be considered their own languages for reasons of imperialism and sometimes tied in national myths when they get really loopy.

You would probably have a better answer than me as to why people who speak Arabic consider it the same language, but I would guess it has at least something to do with the prestige of the corresponding liturgical language and various notions of overall Muslim community?

Then there is of course the whole thing with what's happening in Serbia, Croatia, and Bosnia.

Personally, I am just annoyed by people repeating that "Russian and Ukrainian are basically the same thing!" which they probably heard from a bunch of Russians (or Western "experts" who never stepped a foot from outside Moscow). Grammatically, yes, though Ukrainian keeps vocative, and vocative is fun. Lexically? Hell no.

[1] Ironically said in Yiddish, which never had either, but is generally considered a language.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I was wrong about Ukrainian and Russian being mutually intelligible, sorry. I guess my misunderstanding comes because the Ukrainians I know have no trouble speaking to Russians, but I guess they're speaking russian or possibly some hybrid like some Scandinavians do across languages.

And yeah, what constitutes a language vs a dialect is super vague and political. In the specific case of Hebrew, I'm pretty sure the common thing is to refer to biblical Hebrew and modern Hebrew as separate languages which are obviously related, but don't trust me 100% on this.
As for Arabic, I know a bit more. Moroccan is famously quite far removed from the other dialects, to the point that I've heard that teaching kids to write is essentially teaching a foreign language on top if they have to write in standard Arabic. But there's a strong political desire to label all the Arabic dialects as the same language. And as you noted, Moroccans in general have no trouble understanding Egyptian or Levantine dialects because of TV and also guess who defines the standard. And to complicate matters, it's a continuum of increasingly "weirder" language the further west from Egypt you go, and putting the dividing line at the national border is slightly arbitrary.
Maltese is technically descended from Arabic, but at this point it's so far removed and latinized that no one considers it a dialect.

The real fun language/dialect example is "Chinese" which is so very clearly a language family consisting of several quite different languages, except the official narrative is that it's dialects.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

But that's flat out false, it's harder than it should be to live in a city without a car in America, but I know lots of people who do it.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

soviet elsa posted:

What the gently caress even is language???

we say, as we post in english - a language that barely has regional variants, let alone full-blown dialects*

*or at least none that anyone other than the speakers of the dialect would know. and linguistics, i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Aren't there some varieties of Indian English that are basically gibberish to pedoph islanders?