Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My job doesn’t refer to forklifts/pallet jacks/etc as powered industrial trucks, which is the standard term and is the one used in OSHA regs.

No, it refers to them as powered industrial vehicles. Or PIV for short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My job doesn’t refer to forklifts/pallet jacks/etc as powered industrial trucks, which is the standard term and is the one used in OSHA regs.

No, it refers to them as powered industrial vehicles. Or PIV for short.

I would guess "trucks" was chosen instead of "vehicles" by OSHA specifically to avoid that confusion/hilarity.

I've been at my current job for about a year now, and it still hasn't stopped being funny to hear my nearly-70-year-old manager say something like "We need a couple more gaylords in the storage bay when you get a chance."

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Mar 13, 2024

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I've been playing through the remaster of tlou2 and the plot of that game is my pet peeve. There is so much to admire, and so much money and talent being poured into it, it's just such a shame to waste it all on this dour, convoluted story filled with people doing stupid poo poo that makes no loving sense.

So I guess more my generalised peeve is... Stories which have aspirations of maturity or complexity, which depend upon its characters making bizarre decisions in order to progress the plot.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I run into this peeve a lot so maybe it's something I'm doing, but -- I hate when I ask someone to clarify something, but they just repeat the part I already understand. Like so:

"Parasol, can you put this into a spreadsheet for me? Anything over $500 is classified as X, anything under $500 is Y."

"Sure-- oh, what about this charge for Z? I see it's over $500, but does that also mean it counts as X?"

*sigh* "Right, so like I said, anything over $500 goes into X.."

"Right, but do charges for Z count as 'X' in this case?"

"... Oh. No, that's separate."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Perfect Element posted:

I've been playing through the remaster of tlou2 and the plot of that game is my pet peeve. There is so much to admire, and so much money and talent being poured into it, it's just such a shame to waste it all on this dour, convoluted story filled with people doing stupid poo poo that makes no loving sense.

So I guess more my generalised peeve is... Stories which have aspirations of maturity or complexity, which depend upon its characters making bizarre decisions in order to progress the plot.

It’s fun blowing people up though.

And it makes no sense because revenge and anger drive people to be insane.

I played the game years after all the freak outs and I thought it was pretty great and had a super fun time so i don’t 90% of it

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Tryed to play Red Dead Redemption 2, just the single player campaign, as I've wanted to for nearly a decade...

And it wants me to make a Rockstar Games account, then rejects my email because apparently at some point I must have made one for GTA years and years ago so I gotta reset my password and blah blah blah

End result: gonna refund RDR2 on Steam and just not play.

You could just let me play the video game, Mr. Rockstar.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That takes like a minute tops lol

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

CelticPredator posted:

That takes like a minute tops lol

It should, but I've been through a good twenty minutes of back-and-forth of my apparently-existent Rockstar account and its password. It is not working as intended, and furthermore, why the gently caress should I need an account to play single player expensive games?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I never needed to make an account to play it as I recall. Played GTA V for the first time recently and it prompts you with that but you can just skip it. Is that definitely not an option in this case?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I got really annoyed when Paradox "gifted" me a healing potion in Pillars of Eternity for making an account. I know it's just a healing potion, almost worthless, but something about it felt so weird and bribey.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I guess most of this peeve is actually my garbage brain but some of it is also unclear wording. I got lightly in trouble in a new workplace once when the admin assistant sent an email that said "You can do X now, you don't have to do Y!" This actually meant "Don't do Y anymore, do X from now on." Y was harder and way less convenient for us compared to X so it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't be okay to do it anymore. In my defense though, the other new people in my area also didn't realize that the email meant "stop doing this" so I felt slightly less stupid.

Thanks to situations like that I have to occasionally ask for clarification I and try so hard not to sound like a pedantic rear end in a top hat but it still happens sometimes anyway :negative:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

The Perfect Element posted:

Don't know what issues you were having with the story but the characters and their actions made complete sense to me given the context and themes. It is very dark and dour and brutal though.

My pet peeve is game too long. Hire an editor Druckman.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

HOLY gently caress posted:

I guess most of this peeve is actually my garbage brain but some of it is also unclear wording. I got lightly in trouble in a new workplace once when the admin assistant sent an email that said "You can do X now, you don't have to do Y!" This actually meant "Don't do Y anymore, do X from now on." Y was harder and way less convenient for us compared to X so it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't be okay to do it anymore. In my defense though, the other new people in my area also didn't realize that the email meant "stop doing this" so I felt slightly less stupid.

Thanks to situations like that I have to occasionally ask for clarification I and try so hard not to sound like a pedantic rear end in a top hat but it still happens sometimes anyway :negative:

There's a tendency in corporate culture to assume that NEW THING is automatically better; if people need to get on board with NEW THING anyhow, then they might as well spin it as a good thing. Unfortunately once you get enough people drinking the kool-aid they forget the part about actually trying to spin it and just reflexively assume that any new thing they present will be received as an improvement. Theoretically once you catch on you can read between the lines but you shouldn't feel bad that your brain doesn't naturally operate on however many levels of gaslighting they're on.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The accordion is just the dumbest instrument ever

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

the holy poopacy posted:

There's a tendency in corporate culture to assume that NEW THING is automatically better; if people need to get on board with NEW THING anyhow, then they might as well spin it as a good thing. Unfortunately once you get enough people drinking the kool-aid they forget the part about actually trying to spin it and just reflexively assume that any new thing they present will be received as an improvement. Theoretically once you catch on you can read between the lines but you shouldn't feel bad that your brain doesn't naturally operate on however many levels of gaslighting they're on.

Thank you, I feel better now :unsmith:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Parasol Prophet posted:

I run into this peeve a lot so maybe it's something I'm doing, but -- I hate when I ask someone to clarify something, but they just repeat the part I already understand. Like so:

"Parasol, can you put this into a spreadsheet for me? Anything over $500 is classified as X, anything under $500 is Y."

"Sure-- oh, what about this charge for Z? I see it's over $500, but does that also mean it counts as X?"

*sigh* "Right, so like I said, anything over $500 goes into X.."

"Right, but do charges for Z count as 'X' in this case?"

"... Oh. No, that's separate."

This, and also when people incorrectly anticipate your question multiple times in a row. Was wrapping up a vet appointment where my dog had blood drawn and wanted to know if this test was related to his upcoming teeth cleaning.

'So this blood work is-'

'The results should be back in under 24 hours'

'Right, and it's for-'

'It's no extra cost, just a procedural thing'

'Okay, and you did the blood test because-'

'It's just a couple drops of blood, he'll be fine'

'... nevermind. '

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Henchman of Santa posted:

I never needed to make an account to play it as I recall. Played GTA V for the first time recently and it prompts you with that but you can just skip it. Is that definitely not an option in this case?

If you skip out of it for me, now, it just crashes to desktop. Or really ctd isn't even it, it just quietly stops being played and woops you're back to normal Windows experience.

Maybe I'm having insane pregnant lady hallucinations but either way, for God's sake, 1. gently caress all these style prompts, and 2. Please, let me go on the cowboy adventure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I tell people upfront I have adhd so I’m going ask a lot of questions and have you clarify because I’m going to forget lol. But if you help me I’ll listen and we square

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I loving hate people who say they have ADD. Not you, CelticPredator, but I mean, people who just want to be quirky or have something "fun" about them. I have ADD and it's a loving nightmare, it interferes with my life, and I'm dependent on medication that gives me nausea just to function, so gently caress off with your quirky ADD poo poo. YOU MISPLACED YOUR KEYS it doesn't mean you have a disorder

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I get it. I don’t really hate it because language is a fluid wet goopy mass and I just can’t be bothered to turn what someone is using as a turn of phrase as a soap box moment.

I’m only gonna get mad if they use it as an excuse when they don’t have any medical proof of it or whatever.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

oldpainless posted:

more like oldWeirdAlless

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

credburn posted:

I loving hate people who say they have ADD. Not you, CelticPredator, but I mean, people who just want to be quirky or have something "fun" about them. I have ADD and it's a loving nightmare, it interferes with my life, and I'm dependent on medication that gives me nausea just to function, so gently caress off with your quirky ADD poo poo. YOU MISPLACED YOUR KEYS it doesn't mean you have a disorder

It’s definitely a nightmare. I was on adderall for a year and a half and it was amazing being able to function like a normal person but now that I moved and changed jobs getting back on it is a nightmare. A lot of doctors try to filter for drug seekers by making you jump through a lot of complicated hoops but it really has the opposite effect- seekers can get through the hoops but if you have ADD navigating them is awful. The worst part is that I know what it feels like to have a functioning brain now so the ADD sucks more.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

oldpainless posted:

I used to play one.

Can confirm.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

Depends if it happens on a daily basis

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I would simply refuse to have it and thus live a life free of complication and problems.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

credburn posted:

I feel the same about OCD. My life was a nightmare before my doctor found the correct medication and dosage for me. It’s not a little thing like my sister getting annoyed when a picture is crooked, or there is a chip on her plate. But you could not tell her that.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Ooh, and anxiety/panic disorders too!

Oh, you're stressed out about work and worried about the direction the world is headed? That's very rational, we've been living in 'interesting times' for a couple decades now.

I became fully convinced I was about to die due to a random chest twinge or leg pain about once every two weeks, leaving work and social gatherings to go to the ER and be told that actually I'm fine, and a stronger benzo was the only thing that stopped it (mostly). My mind goes off on tangents where it tells me the worst ways all of my loved ones could die, and probably will, and wouldn't that just be the worst?

And yeah, language changes and I'm sure a lot of people do have anxiety in some form, but people self-diagnosing stuff like that and ADHD/OCD just feels like it leads to the rest of us not being taken seriously. If you've got a niece who says she's "got anxiety" but is still able to function normally in everyday life, why should you believe that your employee who "has anxiety" can't just suck it up and get back to work?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Autism. I have two friends who have autistic children. One is on the spectrum, the other is full-blown and needs constant care. People who self-diagnose as autistic because they have no social skills or are just assholes really piss me off.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And then they say “b-b-but it costs so much to get it diagnosed so I’m gonna keep saying I have it so you treat me special thanks!!”

sorry but no. You might have it! But get it checked otherwise I think you’re just making excuses

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

CelticPredator posted:

And then they say “b-b-but it costs so much to get it diagnosed so I’m gonna keep saying I have it so you treat me special thanks!!”

sorry but no. You might have it! But get it checked otherwise I think you’re just making excuses

Some of us live in countries where "get it checked" means an entire paycheck for the appointment, and the only available therapist is one working in the gig economy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It used to be that when you had an album saved on your Bandcamp wishlist, you could listen to it on demand. Now Bandcamp will let you play one or two tracks (if that) before you're locked behind a "Time to open your wallet!" nag popup. I'm happy to support indie artists on there, but I really dislike guilt tactics like that. I'm sure it has to do with Bandcamp being bought up by some major company.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

soviet elsa posted:

Some of us live in countries where "get it checked" means an entire paycheck for the appointment, and the only available therapist is one working in the gig economy.

yeah well don't say you got something until you have it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

yeah well don't say you got something until you have it.

Autism is a collection of personal characteristics. There's absolutely no reason why people shouldn't self identify as autistic if their experience matches other peoples' experience. It's not a disease.

As far as I can tell the majority of the autistic community at least in the parts of the internet I hang out in have no issue with self-diagnosis. Getting a doctor to say the thing can be prohibitively expensive and sometimes legally risky, and doesn't actually add anything to someone's life unless they need to apply for disability support.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess I just disagree. I looked up traits of being autistic and I for sure have a lot of that. But I just find self diagnosis pretty cringy so I refuse to even suggest I have it unless I decide to get it tested. :shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The modern online video approach of doing subtitles a single word at a time is poo poo.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The modern online video approach of doing subtitles a single word at a time is poo poo.

How else am I gonna fit all those words in my vertical video where I talk a mile a minute?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

My first mobile phone wouldn't record video if you held it vertically, it played a short animation showing how to rotate the phone. Why did that go away?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
when i was a teen in the 90s doctor told me I have Asperger's but didn't want to record it in my chart because having a documented issue can cause more problems than it solves if you don't require accommodations, which at the time i did not seem to. am i diagnosed or not? a doctor said so but it's not official, so where do i stand on the diagnosis purity test

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

having a documented issue can cause more problems than it solves if you don't require accommodations

How so? Why not put it into the chart and recommend that no accommodations are needed, with an option to change if ever necessary? Does having a diagnosis open you to discrimination or other hurdles of any kind? Seems like a no-win situation, that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I hate hate hate this so much. The first time I saw it I thought it was a gimmick, like an intentionally bad joke. Then it became a trend? I'm not watching a fuckin second of that, it's distracting and it feels like it's making a point by doing it but it's not, it's just subtitles but in a bad way.

InediblePenguin posted:

when i was a teen in the 90s doctor told me I have Asperger's but didn't want to record it in my chart because having a documented issue can cause more problems than it solves if you don't require accommodations, which at the time i did not seem to. am i diagnosed or not? a doctor said so but it's not official, so where do i stand on the diagnosis purity test

I've been wondering about this, too, because while I have some things I have that have been put to a test, there's a lot of things doctors have just told me I have. Like, one doctor told me I had COPD. I only smoked cigarettes for like a year, and had problems going on, and she definitely told me I have COPD. Well, a few years later, I don't think I do. In fact, I definitely don't think I do, and I don't think I ever had it. But she told me I had it. Was that a diagnosis? Or just a doctor saying something?

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Mar 16, 2024