Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scouse is a pretty good accent to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I used to think Scouse was the one exception to my "I love all British accents" policy.
Then I realised Alexei Sayle is scouse and I love Alexei Sayle so now scouse is a-ok with me.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Beeswax posted:

I used to think Scouse was the one exception to my "I love all British accents" policy.
Then I realised Alexei Sayle is scouse and I love Alexei Sayle so now scouse is a-ok with me.

I always thought he was the weakest part of the young ones

I haven't seen it since I was a teenager though so maybe I just had/have bad opinions

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

boofhead posted:

I always thought he was the weakest part of the young ones

I haven't seen it since I was a teenager though so maybe I just had/have bad opinions

Yeah he wasn't great there but he's a very funny old man these days

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Jesus isn't real but if he was then he would eat chippy tea on Friday like all true Christians the Sephardi Jews eating Shabbat meal, who introduced fish and chips to Britain when they migrated there in the 1860s

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I remember getting a dumb joke book as a kid and one of the jokes was about a kiwi going into a shop and ordering some fush and chups. The bloke at the counter laughs and goes oh, you must be a kiwi. The kiwi gets annoyed and leaves, spends the next six months practising his accent, finally marches back in and goes hey, I'd like some fish and chips please. The guy answers, I bet you're from new zealand. The kiwi is mad as hell, he could have sworn his accent was dead on, that's six full months wasted. He demands to know how the guy could tell??

The guy shrugs and goes, well.. this is a furniture store

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

boofhead posted:

I remember getting a dumb joke book as a kid and one of the jokes was about a kiwi going into a shop and ordering some fush and chups. The bloke at the counter laughs and goes oh, you must be a kiwi. The kiwi gets annoyed and leaves, spends the next six months practising his accent, finally marches back in and goes hey, I'd like some fish and chips please. The guy answers, I bet you're from new zealand. The kiwi is mad as hell, he could have sworn his accent was dead on, that's six full months wasted. He demands to know how the guy could tell??

The guy shrugs and goes, well.. this is a furniture store

I've heard this same joke except it's a Polish guy asking for Polish sausage in a hardware store. Nice to know it can be spun differently.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I get mad whenever I'm reminded that not all Americans talk like they're from Fargo.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

I get mad whenever I'm reminded that not all Americans talk like they're from Fargo.

I am American and I share your outrage. If it helps at all, my partner and I do the accent all the time as a goof.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

syntaxfunction posted:

It's even worse than that. My wife was born and raised in Fargo and her parents still live there. Very very few people from Fargo talk like that, it's a Minnesota thing. :smith:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Very few people from Minnesota talk like that either. Sorry life isn’t like the movies.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
There’s nothing more enjoyable than a bunch of people trying to phonetically type out words in a particular accent in an online forum

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ishamael posted:

There’s nothing more enjoyable than a bunch of people trying to phonetically type out words in a particular accent in an online forum

Chris Claremont would be proud.

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave
If you're not going to offer at least a broad IPA transcription, what's even the point?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

If you're not going to offer at least a broad IPA transcription, what's even the point?

No, no, not this again, please

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

It was such an eye opener when I met two Brit’s abroad, one from London and one from Birmingham. The London guy sounded like a character from Downton Abbey and the Birmingham guy sounded like a rough-and-tumble street orphan from Bleak House.
John Oliver says that his accent marks him as hopelessly lower-class in England, but Americans think it's very classy because British.

A dear friend of mine, a Lancaster resident, once called me in deep distress. I could understand maybe half of what she was saying. It was awful. I wanted to give her a shoulder, and I did the best I could. RIP Susan Hall, IP solicitor and very fine writer.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

boofhead posted:

The guy shrugs and goes, well.. you're loving a sheep

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Long ago I saw a video of a stand-up set, where she brought up that the Aussies think the Kiwis are loving the sheep, the Kiwis think the Aussies are loving the sheep, etc

"Frankly I think it's the sheep that are the sluts"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My perception of national stereotypes is that the Welsh are the least trustworthy around sheep, followed by Kiwis, Scots, Aussies, and the English, in that order.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

ChthonicMasturbatr posted:

Please don't start another beer derail.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Platystemon posted:

My perception of national stereotypes is that the Welsh are the least trustworthy around sheep, followed by Kiwis, Scots, Aussies, and the English, in that order.

this is the only context in which the English have ever been ranked as "most trustworthy"

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Platystemon posted:

:canada: too cold here for sheep to survive

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

madmatt112 posted:

:canada: too cold here for sheep to survive

The animal covered head to toe in thick wool?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Lobok posted:

The animal covered head to toe in thick wool?

The animal you have to sheer regularly to get the cash crop?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/lovesickdoe/status/1768875564012536187

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leon Sumbitches posted:

The animal you have to sheer regularly to get the cash crop?

We have them in Canada so maybe the sheep just ask for a little off the top.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Are you telling me a shrimp friend this rice?

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Text

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://twitter.com/megigogi/status/1721354484679405995

and an all-time classic
https://twitter.com/papyuuno/status/1381659696424235020?lang=en

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I didn’t realize we were at reliable, consumer-grade full-body vtuber technology now, that’s pretty rad. What are they using to do that?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm guessing it's something they're wearing that a program like, real time scans/edits/interpolates them out of the scene and replaces them with an anime catgirl.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

I swear to god i thought that was a croissant

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Huhhhh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnCSmc5q9l8

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

anime

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
is real

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Thanks Obama

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I don’t understand how anyone likes anime, but I’m not mad that they do, and I certainly wish Obama had made anime real instead of bombing a bunch of civilians

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

kazil posted:

Thanks Obama

Finally.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/mrsballs69/status/1769039774550053236

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket