Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Geisladisk posted:

A bunch of pictures of print sheet from the unannounced-but-everyone-knows-its-coming-anyway 4th edition AOS rulebook.

Someone at GW is sending extremely furious emails to the company that does their printing.

While there are leaks for several other items for the new AOS edition, this one is definitely some kind of Daemonhunters-related book for 40k.

There were previous rumours of a new Imperial Agents codex this summer, and a popular theory now is that GK and/or Deathwatch may get merged with their related Inquisition Ordos. This "Book of the Warp" page reminds me a lot of how the last daemon codex was split into several sub-books for each sub-faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

A bunch of pictures of print sheet from the unannounced-but-everyone-knows-its-coming-anyway 4th edition AOS rulebook.

Not only that, but shots of the finished book as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of leaks, there's been a new one in regards to Imperial Guard.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheAstraMilitarum/comments/1bfpmw2/leaks_leaks_leaks/

A pair of highlights:

Read the rest in the post backwards to forwards. (For some reason.)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

And you decided not to highlight the ratling combat patrol?

Edit: I mean price wise it wouldn't save you any money, but at least that means they should be back in stock.

Edit2: Honestly all of those look good. A bunch of options that fix the weird order poo poo going on with the guard, it's not perfect but much better than the mess we have now.

Edit3: There's a Rogal Dorn Tank commander now? This is starting to look like a wish list.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 16, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Finally gonna get me a full krieg army with ratling snipers lol.

Also full armor regiment hell loving yes

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
God Krieg are the lamest regiment besides Cadians, can we please get a Catachan refresh, or even better some Vostroyans or Tallarn or something actually cool?

However, all is forgiven if the Ratling Kill Team is half as good as the Blood Bowl gnomes.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
If elysians return then all is forgiven

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I hope tank commanders get a longer range to issue commands

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Cooked Auto posted:

Speaking of leaks, there's been a new one in regards to Imperial Guard.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheAstraMilitarum/comments/1bfpmw2/leaks_leaks_leaks/

A pair of highlights:

Read the rest in the post backwards to forwards. (For some reason.)

I’m hoping this one’s bullshit because combining the mechanised regiment with superheavies will suck.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I’ve decided these AP speed paints are more annoying than they are useful - it’s just too hard to tell how they’ll dry, color wise, and even with/maybe especially with medium added, it’s SO thin and runny. Yesterday I was using the warrior skin to give a guy a Black skin tone, and the only way to get it to actually dry in a visible way requires a couple layers - I guess it got in the cracks because it fuckin dissolved the super glue and the model’s arm fell off. It actually finally dried and looked fairly opaque and like a decent color when I was done, as it had the first time I used it, but flowing onto other parts, being annoying, and being kinda unpredictable is just all too much for me. I’m gonna retain them and try to use them on things that I slapchop and for layering but I’m gonna go to the GW store today and get some more citadel paints, they’re just insanely easy to work with in comparison and look a lot better when they dry.

Anyway I need, like:
A basic white (I have screaming skull but that’s obviously a bone color, works great for tusks but it’s not a sufficient base for a slapchop dry brush)
A basic red
A bright red
A basic green
A basic purple
A basic earth brown

And probably a handful of colors I’m not remembering. I’ve got a decent pile of citadel paints already; brass scorpion, iron whatever, abaddon black, a couple blues, Ork flesh, a red contrast and a blue shade, etc but they’re almost all things that I probably should’ve gotten after getting more “basic” colors. Anyway I’m just wondering, what would y’all recommend as far as that goes? In terms of specific stupid citadel paint names

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ro5s posted:

I’m hoping this one’s bullshit because combining the mechanised regiment with superheavies will suck.

Going by some of the comments about the naming of somethings, it might just be.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Al-Saqr posted:

Its pretty clear that infantry wise the agents would be a mix of Arbites, Deathwatch and Inperial Navy as well as the inquisitorial retinue kill team, assasina and rogue traders, thats alot of interesting variety and i already have many of these guys!

The real question is what will be their vehicles or anti-monster capabilities

roll scions into the list and you'll have some nice vehicle options

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

soviet elsa posted:

God Krieg are the lamest regiment besides Cadians, can we please get a Catachan refresh, or even better some Vostroyans or Tallarn or something actually cool?

However, all is forgiven if the Ratling Kill Team is half as good as the Blood Bowl gnomes.

Sorry but it's really funny to call Krieg the lamest regiment and then start begging for more lovely Catachan Rambo-cosplayers

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Krieg leaks look fake, like someone saw all the printing leaks and decided to make up their own.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

neaden posted:

Krieg leaks look fake, like someone saw all the printing leaks and decided to make up their own.

Most likely yeah. Apprently it first appeared on 4chan, which is a strong sign for the bullshit-ometer.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

soviet elsa posted:

Yeah that would be so nice. Returning to the hobby it’s a bummer, I had a big 2000+ point IG army I built in 2007-11 or so and it had a bunch of Tallarn, some Vostroyans, Steel Legion, Catachans, and of course some of the newer Cadian filler they were releasing back then. I loved it but it looked like poo poo because I was a lazy painter and eventually I sold it to buy drugs. obviously I regret that now because all the new guard options are just Cadians, though I did have a laugh when I saw they were still selling the same Catachans I got when I was a kid in the late 90s/early 2000s. The whole appeal of the guard for me is the big assortment of culturally distinct people representing a diverse array of lifeways, skin colors, etc that have been scraped together into a standardized forced, hammered into a disciplined unit while retaining those distinctive features, etc. now the only option is the most generic one or the second most generic one with bad vibes and that’s a bit of a bummer

You’d think they’d have the Tanith as an option at least

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

There are uncountable 3rd party options for every vibe of Imperial Guard imaginable, there is no need to limit yourself to GW's offerings

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

There are uncountable 3rd party options for every vibe of Imperial Guard imaginable, there is no need to limit yourself to GW's offerings

This is very true, there are just so many good options out there.

I think that it would be fun for GW to expand the guard range, but instead of a refresh of what already exists, they could just make a whole new force they have not done before. Given how much better the sculpting and design has got over the last 10 years, and we can see how cool the AoS stuff they are coming out with, a blank slate could allow for some really, really cool armies or concepts.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah that’s fair, Wargames Atlantic and Anvil both seem to have things that would work pretty well, it’s just the former is slightly off scale in a weird way head wise, it seems, and the latter are the same price as GW models already. I’m sure there are medians between them that have stuff I’m not familiar with though

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

AnEdgelord posted:

Sorry but it's really funny to call Krieg the lamest regiment and then start begging for more lovely Catachan Rambo-cosplayers

I am sorry m'Ham but Cadians got so much range refresh, all keeping their dumb Football Player (US) with a Space Gun look. Krieg got to be plastic instead of costing five million dollars for squad.

Catachan is ready, beautiful, buffer than you, and ready to go :argh:

For real I'll also recommend Warlord Games. I've been eyeing historicals recently, and seen their stuff right next to Guard models in my store. Unsurprisingly as a miniatures company from Nottingham, their models have the same chonk proportions that match GW, and they've got plastic everything from Romans and Celts to WW2. For someone into converting, you're a few spare aquilas away from a custom Guard Regiment.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 16, 2024

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Frog Act posted:

So I’ve decided these AP speed paints are more annoying than they are useful - it’s just too hard to tell how they’ll dry, color wise, and even with/maybe especially with medium added, it’s SO thin and runny. Yesterday I was using the warrior skin to give a guy a Black skin tone, and the only way to get it to actually dry in a visible way requires a couple layers - I guess it got in the cracks because it fuckin dissolved the super glue and the model’s arm fell off. It actually finally dried and looked fairly opaque and like a decent color when I was done, as it had the first time I used it, but flowing onto other parts, being annoying, and being kinda unpredictable is just all too much for me. I’m gonna retain them and try to use them on things that I slapchop and for layering but I’m gonna go to the GW store today and get some more citadel paints, they’re just insanely easy to work with in comparison and look a lot better when they dry.

Anyway I need, like:
A basic white (I have screaming skull but that’s obviously a bone color, works great for tusks but it’s not a sufficient base for a slapchop dry brush)
A basic red
A bright red
A basic green
A basic purple
A basic earth brown

And probably a handful of colors I’m not remembering. I’ve got a decent pile of citadel paints already; brass scorpion, iron whatever, Abaddon black, a couple blues, Ork flesh, a red contrast and a blue shade, etc but they’re almost all things that I probably should’ve gotten after getting more “basic” colors. Anyway I’m just wondering, what would y’all recommend as far as that goes? In terms of specific stupid citadel paint names

I don't believe you're supposed to thin speedpaints at all, even with mediums, because the viscosity is already too thin. Maybe others in the thread who use the AP 2.0 speedpaints can comment.

This link has a bunch of pics of GW colors over textured bases with different undercoats.

This link does add well, but the textures are flatter so you can see pooling on the faces which is also useful

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I dont thin ap speedpaints or vallejo xpress color, theyd be unusable if you did that

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I do thin speedpaints and xpress color with SP2.0 medium but mainly to use as a glaze. When just using them as paint, I do the same dance as contrast: start in a recess, apply evenly, wick away pools, let it dry to see how it's looking, apply more if you want more intense coloring.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Geisladisk posted:

will people be mad if i use the wargames atlantic Les Grognards as my guardsmen? I like their Napoleonic look and I don't want my guardsmen to look cool.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

See it as a litmus test, those who get mad about it are people you should avoid playing with.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AnEdgelord posted:

Post+Username combo

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Ominous Jazz posted:

will people be mad if i use the wargames atlantic Les Grognards as my guardsmen? I like their Napoleonic look and I don't want my guardsmen to look cool.

If you don't want them to look cool why are those who you would choose????

but also and more importantly

Cooked Auto posted:

See it as a litmus test, those who get mad about it are people you should avoid playing with.

This. Warhammer lore is designed around (spending King Charles' paycheck as well as) fielding your custom poo poo. Like I bitched about playing my store's Knights player earlier. It is rough! Make better rules James! But I still play him, because his Knights are awesomely painted and detailed. My disgusting evil space elves love to kill such things. And he's just a chill dude. So bring the robots on. The only thing that matters is having fun with someone who isn't an rear end in a top hat. Then you get into the heated arguments about lore over a six pack, go home happy that you've owned that doofus who thinks Space Wolves are cool when Thousand Sons are standing right there, and know that at least you got to slam minis.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 16, 2024

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Eej posted:

Post+Username combo

I yam what I yam

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

soviet elsa posted:

If you don't want them to look cool why are those who you would choose????

they're great looking but they're not trying to convince you they're cool,

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frog Act posted:

Yeah that’s fair, Wargames Atlantic and Anvil both seem to have things that would work pretty well, it’s just the former is slightly off scale in a weird way head wise, it seems, and the latter are the same price as GW models already. I’m sure there are medians between them that have stuff I’m not familiar with though

Seem the same scale as the new GW models to me

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

“Finished” painting my spare parts Techmarine today, not completely happy but it’ll do for now

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Nothing But Hate posted:

“Finished” painting my spare parts Techmarine today, not completely happy but it’ll do for now

Considering you started off with half a model, he looks great- and easily reads as a techmarine too, so job well done imo

In celebration of finishing my first infiltrators squad, I took a family photo and added some (cringy) fluff to it, and gave them all suitably punny/referencial warhams names

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nessus posted:

As I enter the end stages of building this combat patrol box, I wanted to ask what the recommendation would be for which of the Marine boxes to obtain. The generic brand Space Marine was... underwhelming, although I suspect it might still be a money saver with the two champion units. However, I'm not sure how deeply committed the various boxes are to the specific fluff of those armies, and there are like four. Advice welcome on the best bargain/most flexible choice.

I mean aside from the existing Combat Patrols, you could also get the Vanguard Strike Force box and a Phobos librarian for the vanguard combat patrol that came out n White Dwarf, but I don’t know how it stacks up against the other Space Marines combat patrols. It would come in at more expensive since you’d need to get the White Dwarf and Librarian separately at least.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

Anvil sized their stuff off the original Cadians/Catachans. The new guard did not get any larger (except the Kasrkin who are bigger), GW just tweaked their proportions to be more realistic.

Anvil's older sculpts will have the more cartoony 'old Cadian' proportions but they were never as cartoony to begin with and the newer sculpts look even better even if they're not as realistically sized.

The Anvil bits will mesh seamlessly with GW bodies but yeah their prices are actually higher. Their casting is flawless. Having said that if you're looking for an army of their figures the best way to do it is probably to buy a printer and print em yourself.

Edit - Where is your AV from?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean aside from the existing Combat Patrols, you could also get the Vanguard Strike Force box and a Phobos librarian for the vanguard combat patrol that came out n White Dwarf, but I don’t know how it stacks up against the other Space Marines combat patrols. It would come in at more expensive since you’d need to get the White Dwarf and Librarian separately at least.
Looks like it's technically $5 cheaper at MSRP and you get more marines :v: But I assumed the Unbranded Marines combat patrol had a lot of utility from the two hero-type units.

e: I am innumerate as well as illiterate, it's $15 more

Nessus fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 17, 2024

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Anvil sized their stuff off the original Cadians/Catachans. The new guard did not get any larger (except the Kasrkin who are bigger), GW just tweaked their proportions to be more realistic.

Pretty sure the Cannon Fodder sets from Wargames is also sized of the older Cadians. The heads have the same shallow socket like those, and fit pretty well too.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
got myself Asmodai as a treat, welcome home buddy. :unsmith:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The Deleter posted:

If they release an Ordo Chronos character I need them to have an ability that shuts down time shenanigans with a "no, this is the date according to this calender and gently caress you" ability. Just someone so mad that we left the lunar calendar that it affects the world around them.

A schism formed in the order between members who think seconds should be counted as thousands vs Mississippis.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

A schism formed in the order between members who think seconds should be counted as thousands vs Mississippis.

The Ordo Chronos special ability is "One and Done" - no rerolls for you today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
No rerolls against your army is an incredibly powerful rule every time it shows up so it makes perfect sense they'd give it to some random shmucks that no one cares about to move product