Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

nine-gear crow posted:

There was supposed to be a retrofitted Spacedock that had additional external docking spaces for big honking chonkers like the Galaxy-class, but I think it was either too expensive to alter the Spacedock model or they just didn't have time to do it for the episode, but there's concept art of it out there done by Andrew Probert.

also someone on DeviantArt did this, which :lol:

https://www.deviantart.com/somebuddyx/art/ENTERPRISE-D-ENTERING-EARTH-SPACEDOCK-806131398

It wasn't so much "supposed to be" as it was Probert fighting as hard as he could to convince the producers not to just fly the -D through the space doors. The money for his proposal was never there. Even just setting up the existing Spacedock model to shoot new footage would almost certainly have been too much, let alone modifying it and believably compositing the Enterprise into docking with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Remember when they reused the Captain's Log shot from TNG in Generations and even slapped a Captain's Log on it? And it looked like poo poo because they had to recolor it so much? Good times.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

CPColin posted:

Remember when they reused the Captain's Log shot from TNG in Generations and even slapped a Captain's Log on it? And it looked like poo poo because they had to recolor it so much? Good times.

No.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
(sighing and firing up ffmpeg)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I haven't thought off ffmpeg for so long I thought you were just posting tags for your fanfic

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I have indeed accidentally spelled it wrong in that way and wondered why it wasn't working lol

But it was just a typo! I swear!! No Enterprise fanfic here!!!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CPColin posted:

i don't think it got recolored so much as it just looked a bit off from the other shots because i think the model got touched up a bit for the new footage they shot, plus the film being seven years old and they may not have been as careful with recompositing from the original negatives

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

lol I rewatched Generations last year and I noticed that too. "Holy poo poo, they just colour graded stock footage from the TV show!"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It gets all blurry too!

https://www.crappycomic.com/stuff/CaptainsArgh.mp4

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The real reason saucer separation was designed. Park the Eng hull first, and then the saucer can go in diagonally and sideways like USPS trying to put a manila folder in your mailbox

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

lol I rewatched Generations last year and I noticed that too. "Holy poo poo, they just colour graded stock footage from the TV show!"

While they did colour shift it to try to match it to the new battleship-blue-grey paintjob in Generations, the reused shot in Generations is actually still closer to the original show-era model paintjob than what we saw on TNG, where they drained almost all the colour out of the hull pass during compositing (to the consternation of Probert). Photo during model build, but with the final paintjob:

That shot in Generations is the nearest we ever come to seeing the original Probert pale teal green+eggshell blue color scheme onscreen.

For comparison, the new paintjob for generations with extra detailing:

CPColin posted:

It gets all blurry too!

And the escape pods are suddenly mysteriously just white squares instead of detailed.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 15, 2024

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

That shot in Generations is the nearest we ever come to seeing the original Probert pale teal green+eggshell blue color scheme onscreen.

Ehh, there's a flyby in 11001001 which looks even closer than that Generations shot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phy posted:

The real reason saucer separation was designed. Park the Eng hull first, and then the saucer can go in diagonally and sideways like USPS trying to put a manila folder in your mailbox

Just slot it in sideways with thrusters. It's shaped like a drat oval!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Captain's log stardate 45891.2: Commander Data got the saucer stuck in Spacedock again so we are now waiting on an emergency supply of industrial lubricant from the USS Cerritos to restore the Enterprise to proper working order. In the meantime, inertial dampeners are still offline, so the crew is still adjusting to operating at a 45 degree angle.

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

I remember seeing this shot in the cinema as a kid at the time and it being the first time I was consciously aware that film just fundamentally looked and felt different to TV.

Sounds dumb for a then 8 year old SFX shot that was cheaply reused to save budget on a low budget franchise cash in movie , but I noticing that one thing planted a seed that ended up with me at film school 10 years later to try and learn the secret to why that same shot looked so much better.

It turns out, the secret is, 35mm film is just really, really loving expensive.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DavidCameronsPig posted:

I remember seeing this shot in the cinema as a kid at the time and it being the first time I was consciously aware that film just fundamentally looked and felt different to TV.

Sounds dumb for a then 8 year old SFX shot that was cheaply reused to save budget on a low budget franchise cash in movie , but I noticing that one thing planted a seed that ended up with me at film school 10 years later to try and learn the secret to why that same shot looked so much better.

I remember also seeing it in the theatre as a kid and instantly pegging the Bird of Prey explosion from Undiscovered Country and going "Did they reuse the same effect in two different movies? :raise:"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DavidCameronsPig posted:

Keep in mind that those miniature shots are not a single piece of film, either, but several camera passes that are then composited together. Which makes shots with multiple ships in frame even more impressive, because each of those ships are almost always filmed separately.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think the shot of the Enterprise-D docked at DS9 over Bajor was something like 20 layers.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkkoKg5_bO0

This video featuring the Okudas does a great job explaining just how complex the special effects were for TNG as well as some other roads not taken, namely early CGI.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I love the couple of times the enterprise is in a really dark place so they didn't use the full light pass and just had the illumination, it looked so pretty.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Penitent posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkkoKg5_bO0

This video featuring the Okudas does a great job explaining just how complex the special effects were for TNG as well as some other roads not taken, namely early CGI.

Oh wow those loving Bablyon 5-esque CGI shots, holy poo poo. Bullet dodged there.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The late 80's was not a great time for CGI. And yeah thank god we ended up with the beautiful model work we did instead of that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dr_rat posted:

The late 80's was not a great time for CGI. And yeah thank god we ended up with the beautiful model work we did instead of that.

Yeah, shows like B5 and Captain Power and the like have their charm, but if TNG had tried what they did, it wouldn't have made it to Yesterday's Enterprise, it'd be DOA in a second.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah. Although honestly, that final go at the Enterprise in CGI in 1987 is incredible for 1987.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/daveblass/status/1768860986558284076

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

Its one of the things where Ronald Moore was right; Voyager should have aged, and ended up being a collection of things juryrigged, stolen and kept as a loot by the end of the show, with increasing number of crew being just random non-Federation species given varying degrees of non-com officer badges they designed because of O'Brien in DS9.

Kind of like a small microcosm of the federation? So that after all the "we're on our own out here, no time for the prime directive"bullshit they realise that the way home relies on them embracing federation values?

drat, that would have owned

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Voyager should’ve ended with the crew bored and miserable at a Welcome Home celebration with Starfleet brass and ambassadors, realizing they miss the adventure of truly exploring the uncharted. Then quietly excusing themselves one by one, they all sneak back to Voyager’s bridge, at which point they steal the ship and warp off to parts unknown.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
quote is not edit

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

This was neat, and I had no idea they totally moved the bridge set between soundstages during the season 1-2 break.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Voyager should’ve ended with the crew bored and miserable at a Welcome Home celebration with Starfleet brass and ambassadors, realizing they miss the adventure of truly exploring the uncharted. Then quietly excusing themselves one by one, they all sneak back to Voyager’s bridge, at which point they steal the ship and warp off to parts unknown.

At the award ceremony the federation president is handing out medals, and when he puts one on Chakotay, Chakotay stabs him in the neck, killing him, and shouts "Long live the maqui!" He is teleported before security can do anything. The pilot of the ship that just picked him up... Michael Eddington!?!? I thought he died!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

At the award ceremony the federation president is handing out medals, and when he puts one on Chakotay, Chakotay stabs him in the neck, killing him, and shouts "Long live the maqui!" He is teleported before security can do anything. The pilot of the ship that just picked him up... Michael Eddington!?!? I thought he died!

Get out of here Terry

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

It turns out he's back! In Borg form!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Somehow, Michael Eddington returned.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Neelix: I knew you guys couldn't stay away forever. The Delta Quadrant has a certain allure for the adv--

Janeway: Fire torpedoes. Full complement.

Tuvok: With pleasure.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Irresponsible Captain Janeway

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This, but it is Seska who beams him out

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

they should've unveiled a prototype ship running on cheese

after all, why waste resources constructing gel packs when you can have bacteria do it for you

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It would have been cool if Seska had stuck around on the crew, it would have been a real good point of conflict and it's not like Janeway could complain given that she had snuck her own saboteur onto the Marquis ship.

I guess we'll add that to the pile of things that could have been with Voyager.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Somehow, Michael Eddington returned.

Sisko: I can fix that :blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Both Seska and Lon Suder should have survived until season 7, Seska as the recurring foil who keeps somehow staying in the same area as Voyager despite constant 10,000 light years transports, or she dies multiple times but each time they do their time travel episodes she escapes the past to live again. Heck, have one Seska be good but is murdered by another Seska. Use Lon Suder as the guy they pull out to do the crazy commando missions once a season and has a Rambo-style crisis because he's now a man of peace (until someone dies). At least one episode he saves the day by not killing anyone, another he helps Tuvok who has reverted to violence like Tuvok helped him, one episode Tuvok notices all the plants Suder is growing are either carnivorous or poisonous