Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

I said come in! posted:

Elite dangerous is still the exact game that Star Citizen promised.

Evochron Legacy SE is made by one person and meets Star Citizen’s kickstarter goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The problem they have with 1.0 is that while they can retcon whatever they want in the list of features, claiming that all that is there right is enough gameplay to qualify as "1.0", that's still not going to solve their spaghetti networking. If they dare a release in the current state, the PR fallout from average players trying it out and refunding due to crashes/desync or lost progress would absolutely kill them. So unless they have magically fixed everything in the background but are keeping it secret for some reason, my take would be that this is all PR aimed at buttering up the commandos (so they keep paying) and the investors (so they don't exercise their options when the window opens up post commandocon).

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

MrTargetPractice posted:

Feature complete generally means all the final systems etc are in place. Content complete means that everything is done and ready for polish/testing.

For an example:
A system that supports side quests - feature

All the side quests themselves - content

That being the case it does seem like another minor misrepresentation...What he said at citcon was that they were now in the polish phase, not that they were now approaching the stage just before it.

But at this point who cares

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Dark Off posted:

content pipes are finally unclogged. But seriously i wonder how director change suddenly brought in progress unless stuff is getting cut out.

I think this whole thing is actually the biggest news in the letter. Rich Tyrer is now in charge of overall direction for both titles, basically at the level of Chris Roberts.
It's hard to believe but I can't see Chris doing something like this unless he actually intends to take a backseat for the remainder of development as far as overall direction goes. I feel like the bits about directing "alongside" him etc. are bogus to quell the citizenry losing their saviour since there would be quite the uproar if he actually announced taking on more of a "design consultant" role.

If it truly is Rich taking control then development could accelerate significantly with Chris not reviewing every pixel. For extra fun, we could speculate that there has been pressure from the investors to get this thing out the door for once, hence that option to extract their money. The investors don't have direct power but they do hold the money power, and that could be enough leverage to make Chris get out of the way. Who knows!

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Is the distinction between 'Feature Complete' and 'Content Complete' common in the wider games industry, or is this another development innovation peculiar to CIG?

They don't necessarily use those words but those map directly to Alpha and Beta phases so I wouldn't say it's unusual to use those terms.
That said, going by their promised features they are not anywhere close to Feature Complete which is why I interpret this shakeup in hierarchy as an announcement that they are going to be cutting every non-critical feature they can so they can get a 1.0 release out. They'll then potentially be re-added to the roadmap as very long-term things that will be patched in as they arrive.

I suspect that they will now only be holding back an official release for as long as it takes them to get the remainder of their core tech finished. Whenever this meshing crap is done they'll announce the release and no more features will be added until after that except maybe for whatever is already far along.

Yes, I'm reading a lot into this letter.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Fidelitious posted:

It's hard to believe but I can't see Chris doing something like this unless he actually intends to take a backseat for the remainder of development as far as overall direction goes.

I am going with him knowing the people with big money aren't going to like not seeing a 1.0 and will like it flopping The Day Before style even less. He gets an out in saying that people just couldn't realize his incredible vision. It's bullshit, but IGN isn't going to investigate and his pre-1.0 exit from control lets him paint the narrative of an ambitious auteur tragically let down by technology and the people making the game. Anyone from the cult some website interviews for a piece is going to sing his praises and condemn everyone else.

Surely he'll be hired as a bigtime Hollywood director now.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
When I read “Feature Complete” all I can think of is a banner that actually reads “A Feature Complete.”

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It's citcon, wait 5 months, hype up the next citcon, repeat.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/lTFOg8H.mp4

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

phosdex posted:

It's citcon, wait 5 months, hype up the next citcon, repeat.

It's the citcon preparation half of the year, you can't expect them to get any work done

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I will always say that the fundamental difference between SC and [insert other underwhelming space trucker game] is that AFAIK, SC stands alone with its disgustingly whale-fishing finance programs. Like, asking for jpg.s to the tune of hundreds of dollars a piece is not something NMS and ED has done, for all their faults.

If SC was exactly the same but financed wholly by, say, a core purchase to the tune of 60USD or so, it’d just be a bad video game. As it currently stands, it’s a monstrously unethical grift that constantly tries to claw more bucks from your pockets.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

It would be less ethical to let those idiots keep their money imo

Anybody spending thousands on ship jpegs has at least guaranteed the money is going to somebody less stupid and wasteful

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Chris has written a new Letter from the Chairman, finally something's happened.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19848-Letter-From-The-Chairman

There it is, officially wiping the "100 star systems at release" from memory. Also great description of what release is "In other words, it is no longer Alpha or Early Access", thanks for clearing that up for us CIG.

Rarely have so many words been used to say so little to so few readers.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The way that letter is formatted in general is just obscene. All this before facing its true crime, burying the lede that player MrTrash was the first to pass through the space colon

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

salartarium posted:

Evochron Legacy SE is made by one person and meets Star Citizen’s kickstarter goals.
Including being completely inscrutable!

But I get to fly from place to place and watch a number go up, which is all I ever wanted from Star Citizen and they still haven't loving managed it.

Fidelitious posted:

If it truly is Rich taking control then development could accelerate significantly with Chris not reviewing every pixel. For extra fun, we could speculate that there has been pressure from the investors to get this thing out the door for once, hence that option to extract their money. The investors don't have direct power but they do hold the money power, and that could be enough leverage to make Chris get out of the way. Who knows!
Why the gently caress are there investors at all?! :psyduck:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

LividLiquid posted:

To pay for advertising!

Also, to make sure they don't have to rely on some money-grubbing evil “publisher” that doesn't understand game development and only want to make a profit. Which is wholly different from what investors are like!

Duh!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

this letter from the chairman is indigestible

"Our development journey" lmao

quote:

The second key executive to join our ranks is Marc Beaudet, who was the CEO of Turbulent and becomes our Senior Vice President, Studio Operations, in charge of the operations and welfare of the thousand plus people working on Star Citizen and Squadron 42, spread between our five offices in Austin, Texas, Los Angeles, California, Manchester, England, Frankfurt, Germany, and now Montreal, Canada.
Who writes like this????

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That letter is a lot less entertaining than I'd hoped it be, it really doesn't say anything new except patting themselves on the back for being able to implement an animated load screen.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

12 years and we finally dropped a load

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

Because you don't make real money by running a business. You make it by acting as a ~concierge*~ to a billionaire oligarch, which is probably what Chris thinks he's getting his foot in the door to do for the Calders

*money launderer

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Them having investors amuses me to no end after all that big talk about not being beholden to publishers.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 15, 2024

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

lol

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Thanks this was what I wanted and saw but couldn’t make my memes not be dreams.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Bofast posted:

Rarely have so many words been used to say so little to so few readers.

CIG owes around $120m to the Calders. This letter is one more desperate attempt at hyping and pushing sales as far as they can. See the lates F7C MkII thing where players have to grind first in order to get a token that allows them then to pay more money for a new better upgraded ship. By now they are at a rate of around 1 sale event per week. And on and on.

They are are doing everything they can to push those sales. Everything except the only thing that would actually make them really serious money: A good game.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 16, 2024

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MedicineHut posted:

CIG owes around $120m to the Calders. This letter is one more desperate attempt at hyping and pushing sales as far as they can. See the lates F7C MkII thing where players have to grind first in order to get a token that allows them then to pay more money for a new better upgraded ship. By now they are at a rate of around 1 sale event per week. And on and on.

They are are doing everything they can to push those sales. Everything except the only thing that would actually make them really serious money: A good game.

Do you think the Calder's are going to cut off Chris's Thumbs?

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
It will be hard to revolutionize the gaming industry without thumbs. :smith:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MedicineHut posted:

CIG owes around $120m to the Calders.

Is that $120m now? Any decent contract is going to have interest involved, or at least some way that if CIG has the money longer they get more back.

TuxedoOrca posted:

It will be hard to revolutionize the gaming industry without thumbs. :smith:

Hey, no worries, just ask musk to neuralink them up to their machines!!!

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
What I've gotten from a quick google is the calders invested $46 milion in 2018. So I guess it's $120m now.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

TuxedoOrca posted:

What I've gotten from a quick google is the calders invested $46 milion in 2018. So I guess it's $120m now.

Well, if they actually get that, not a bad return on their investment.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
You don't really have to guess. The Calders invested $46m in 2018 and $17m in 2019 for a total of $63 million. Half of that went into the UK group $31.5m. The UK group according to PricewaterhouseCoopers had a liability of that investment in 2022 of £48m (based on three years revenue of $277m). Given three year revenue of ~$350m you can assume a 26% increase. So the UK group would owe at present (2024) value have a liability of £60m. Double that to include the US group it's £120m. Convert it to dollars for our American friends and the current value of the puts would be $154m.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TuxedoOrca posted:

The Calders invested a total of $63.25 millions for CIG shares in two steps. First the main one of 46m in 2018: https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cloud-imperium-investment-fact-sheet The second of 17.25m in 2020: https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cloud-imperium-additional-investment-from-existing-investors

Half of that was for shares in the US, the other half for shares in the UK.

The investment agreement included an option for the Calders to make CIG buy back their shares at a pre agreed markup mechanism based on the CIG revenue of the last 3 years and with a minimum return of 6% annual. It works in essence like a loan. The financials just posted for 2022 show CIG itself in Note 28 estimating their own debt towards the Calders just for half the shares (the shares in the UK) at £47.8m (or around $60m).

The total debt of CIG towards the Calders, including the US shares, would therefore be of around that times 2, £95.6m (or $120m). As @shrach says, given that 2023 revenues were an actual alleged record for CIG the figure is now likely even higher.

The Calders can action the buy back (i.e. call back their "loan" with the corresponding interests) either in Q1 of 2025 or wait and do it in 2028.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 16, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Don’t worry $154m is only $1.069mil/month for 12 years

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Can´t see this discussed in Spectrum yet. Are they just playing na, na, na didn´t hear, or something?

Sempai Smart would be proud of this ELE.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Worf posted:

Don’t worry $154m is only $1.069mil/month for 12 years

Star Citizen: $154m is only $1.069mil/month for 12 years

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I forgot to mention how absolutely insane it was to open that letter with a "quote" from Marcus Aurelius. Pretty pretentious for a crappy videogame.

First it's not even quoted correctly, and secondly Marcus Aurelius never wrote that and it is one of the most frequently misattributed quotes.
It is in fact "what we do in life echoes in eternity" and it's a line that was written for the Gladiator movie.

So many places say it's a quote from 'Meditations' and yet not a single source points to the actual quote. It's also completely at odds with stoicism and would make no sense for Aurelius to write that, particularly in Meditations.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Fidelitious posted:

I forgot to mention how absolutely insane it was to open that letter with a "quote" from Marcus Aurelius. Pretty pretentious for a crappy videogame.

First it's not even quoted correctly, and secondly Marcus Aurelius never wrote that and it is one of the most frequently misattributed quotes.
It is in fact "what we do in life echoes in eternity" and it's a line that was written for the Gladiator movie.

So many places say it's a quote from 'Meditations' and yet not a single source points to the actual quote. It's also completely at odds with stoicism and would make no sense for Aurelius to write that, particularly in Meditations.

IIRC Aurelius didn’t even say that in the movie. It was Crow’s character Maximus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Fidelitious posted:

I happen to have Meditation on my bookshelf. I haven’t read all of it, though.