Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

koolkal posted:

I generally assumed at the time (and still do) that it was primarily Biden or his admin's idea and they just pushed Schumer to actually say it for the optics. The idea that he did it without Biden knowing seems pretty implausible

Would be pretty cool if this was Biden's idea, it would further support the idea that Biden is trying to do what he can behind the scenes to reign in israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The tl;dr summary seems to be:

- Not a lot of data, need more to be 100% sure.
- Transwomen undergoing testosterone suppression or who had a female puberty/puberty blockers have no real major advantage over cis women 99% of the time.
- The exception seems to be running and swimming at "the elite level" and there seems to be about a 4.8 second improvement. But, once again, going off of a very limited data set.
- There's no real basis for separating out trans athletes at the "non-elite" level if their hormone levels meet guidelines.
- There might be some small argument about it at the elite level where those few extra seconds can make a difference, but data is limited.

And all of those tl;dr points come from a limited set of data.

So, maybe, at the very top level for running and swimming. Not really any impact for most other situations if they have been undergoing HRT for at least 5 months and/or had puberty blockers/female puberty.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9331831/

There's also the issue of ciswomen who happen to produce more testosterone than average, do they not get to compete because they have an 'unfair' yet totally natural advantage?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

This is a minor point but saying "transwomen" is not correct. It's like saying "blackwomen" or "gaymen" which nobody ever does for those groups.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1768727701601357912

I was actually surprised and then surprised I was surprised, because I didn't realize that I thought that Pence probably would endorse him

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DarkHorse posted:

There's also the issue of ciswomen who happen to produce more testosterone than average, do they not get to compete because they have an 'unfair' yet totally natural advantage?
The answer appears to be yes to this, based on the career of Castor Semenaya

She is a cis woman who produces elevated testosterone levels, and the IOC has said before that she cannot compete without taking testosterone blockers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s understandable, the pattern of people claiming to be anti-Trump until he locks in a win and then they roll over and forgive him for whatever is very well established

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

She is a cis woman who produces elevated testosterone levels, and the IOC has said before that she cannot compete without taking testosterone blockers

Can this even be shown to produce a competitive advantage?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

- The exception seems to be running and swimming at "the elite level" and there seems to be about a 4.8 second improvement. But, once again, going off of a very limited data set.

I'm not much of a sports person, but I know enough to say that 4.8 seconds could be HUGE at the elite level (although obviously how huge depends on the distance).

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

- Not a lot of data, need more to be 100% sure.
- Transwomen undergoing testosterone suppression or who had a female puberty/puberty blockers have no real major advantage over cis women 99% of the time.
- There's no real basis for separating out trans athletes at the "non-elite" level if their hormone levels meet guidelines.
- There might be some small argument about it at the elite level where those few extra seconds can make a difference, but data is limited.

And all of those tl;dr points come from a limited set of data.

So, maybe, at the very top level for running and swimming. Not really any impact for most other situations if they have been undergoing HRT for at least 5 months and/or had puberty blockers/female puberty.

I'm not going to pretend to know a drat thing about this, but I wonder if any competitive advantage could be explained by height/size. With the average male being taller than the average female, could even going through some kind of puberty as a male before transitioning give enough size to have an advantage after the fact? Height is a benefit in the majority of sports so it would make sense if the taller athlete was in general the more successful they would be.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
The whole trans women have bio advantages bullshit also ignores that plenty of cis people have bio advantages over their peers anyway. You're not going to get into high level sports unless you are built for the sport which is all dna lottery and early developments nutrition.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

the moose posted:

The whole trans women have bio advantages bullshit also ignores that plenty of cis people have bio advantages over their peers anyway. You're not going to get into high level sports unless you are built for the sport which is all dna lottery and early developments nutrition.

It also ignores that trans people have been able to compete in the olympics for like, 20 years, with medical requirements for certain hormone levels etc, and haven't won anything. Empirically if there was truth that it was going to be a problem, it would have happened, and they would've been able to revise the rules

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

the moose posted:

Right.

At the high school or college level, there may be the top 1% difference with a trans athlete in specific situations, but there is also the 1% of kids with freak genetics who are 6'5" in 8th grade or have superhuman lung capacity.

With private professional sports at the elite level that have gender separations, I guess they can do whatever they want legally, but most of the trans panic involves public schools or youth athletics and there isn't much basis for it.

Even at the elite level and with the very limited data we have, it looks like track and swimming are the only sports with maybe any data to back up looking at it further. Even those situations have so little data because the top 1% is already such a tiny group of people and top performing trans athletes in that group are an even tinier percent of that tiny population. And even that data shows that 99% of the time, if you enforce HRT rules and hormone testing, then there is almost no measurable advantage.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
fair matching making sounds like communism, i thought were suppose to celebrate the best people running up their bank scores the game score

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

FlamingLiberal posted:

She was banned because she's black and made a white woman cry

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BBC has a good article about the pier they’re going to build in Gaza and JLOTS.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68534370

They have eta on the pier getting installed at about two months. That’s a good estimate.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Here's a tweet chain from a major California realtor explaining her side of the story on the new DOJ settlement with the National Association of Realtors.

Here primary argument is that this will drive a ton of realtors out of the profession, especially on the buying side where it takes a lot more work and you might never get a commission if they don't buy something, and force the remaining realtors to represent sellers because that is where the money will be now. This will cause buyers to be unrepresented from the shortage.

This is BS because buyers agents do hardly any work and sellers agents do a lot more (although still not worth 3%). I've gone through two transactions with different agents and buyer's agents provide nothing even close to the value of what they are charging. Literally nowadays they just set up a search on MLS filtered to what you are looking for that automatically emails you when a house is listed that meets those criteria. So they aren't even finding potential properties for you. You give them a time you want to do a walkthrough and they call the listing agent and meet you over there to unlock it.

Their only real value add is for first time buyers that are very ignorant of the process and incapable of using Google or asking their friends questions about how it works or in situations where they prevent some shady poo poo from going down because they have the experience to see a bad deal that a new buyer wouldn't necessarily know. But none of what they do is worth even close to the multiple thousands of dollars they are making. It already is setup so that they don't get paid unless they actually get a sale so that isn't changing. Our last transaction was more complicated than usual due to a few factors and the agent made around $30k for less than 10 hours of work. It's ridiculous.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

DelilahFlowers posted:

She was banned because she's black and made a white woman cry

She was banned because she is intersex. AFAB but has undescended testes and a Y chromosome. It’s not as simple as “her testosterone is high.”

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

bird food bathtub posted:

Good christ heads need to roll over this poo poo. The brief time I worked in aviation years and years ago I had to sign for every single tool I took out of the cut-foam tool racks, sign out every last nut, bolt, hinge, whatever I was going to use for whatever process was on the work sheets, have two-person integrity at all times checking off the steps of every procedure taken, and then sign back in every single tool I used and worn/broken/replaced nut, bolt, whatever was used during the process. That poo poo was kept on file for five years and they made goddamn sure we knew it.

That paperwork either absolutely existed and they've :airquote: lost :airquote: it all, or they're very, very, very specifically not generating that paperwork anymore on purpose.

I worked at a software subcontractor to McDonnell Douglas in the early 90s and work was meticulous. I thought all IT worked that way until I switched to another major software company a couple of years later and the difference was night and day; at the subcontractor we had very specific tasks and a meeting each week to see our progress. At the major software company a coworker and I were given tasks and told it would take about six months to complete - we had it done in about two weeks and asked them to check over our work and they never had time. Never assigned us any other tasks, too! I came to work every day and played civilization or studied C or just read a book. My coworker would sleep in and ask me to give him a call if anyone was looking for him, which happened once in the six months.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

D-Pad posted:

This is BS because buyers agents do hardly any work and sellers agents do a lot more (although still not worth 3%). I've gone through two transactions with different agents and buyer's agents provide nothing even close to the value of what they are charging. Literally nowadays they just set up a search on MLS filtered to what you are looking for that automatically emails you when a house is listed that meets those criteria. So they aren't even finding potential properties for you. You give them a time you want to do a walkthrough and they call the listing agent and meet you over there to unlock it.
Yeah I really feel this. We went through two realtors before settling on our third and we're not particularly inspired by them either. It's pretty much this.

When we were buying in here original ... nearly two decades ago (drat), we found a buyer's broker that has turned out to be exceptional. She had been in the area most of her life and knew which builders had done which subdivisions 20-30 decades ago and what their problems all were. She was up on some of the code shenanigans people pull and would tell us when somebody had done something to a house that we'd strongly risk having to completely tear out. She retired a few years ago but we still just kind of talk to her about stuff, although lately it's been ranting a lot about the process in area to which we're trying to move.

Now it's basically, "Nice house you found on Redfin! Totally worth $50k over. We doing this?" That's when they actually respond and don't forget about their appointments you set up with them before flying across the country to look at places.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I really feel this. We went through two realtors before settling on our third and we're not particularly inspired by them either. It's pretty much this.

When we were buying in here original ... nearly two decades ago (drat), we found a buyer's broker that has turned out to be exceptional. She had been in the area most of her life and knew which builders had done which subdivisions 20-30 decades ago and what their problems all were. She was up on some of the code shenanigans people pull and would tell us when somebody had done something to a house that we'd strongly risk having to completely tear out. She retired a few years ago but we still just kind of talk to her about stuff, although lately it's been ranting a lot about the process in area to which we're trying to move.

Now it's basically, "Nice house you found on Redfin! Totally worth $50k over. We doing this?" That's when they actually respond and don't forget about their appointments you set up with them before flying across the country to look at places.

Yeah this kind of agent has an argument for that level of commission because you aren't getting that knowledge anywhere else but they are probably one in every hundred agents if that.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think there's a valid question around how we handle the separation of trans persons in sports (and even cis persons based on biological sex, as other people have pointed out hormone distribution is hardly uniform even among cis people) and I think the society we live in is not even remotely mature enough to address it and it makes make actively anxious to think about. Like if we can settle on 'it doesn't matter in 90% of cases and people should be able to compete with their chosen sex/gender' that would be swell.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

Which governor is going to start promoting their OnlyFans first and why is it Ron DeSantis?

It's because of dat Ron DeSant-rear end.

It's also kind of darkly hilarious that car dealerships lived up to their stereotype so much that the FTC had to go out of their way to specify that "selling service contracts for oil changes on an electric vehicle" is illegal.

Jesus that's grim. How the gently caress was that happening so much that they had to do that?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
All realtors are bastards

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Oh boy.

Maybe Aaron Rodgers actually is RFK Jr's VP pick.

Just randomly clarifying that you never said Sandy Hook never happened and were just questioning the official story.

https://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12/status/1768318406560760224

He seemed so normal in his 20s…

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I think there's a valid question around how we handle the separation of trans persons in sports (and even cis persons based on biological sex, as other people have pointed out hormone distribution is hardly uniform even among cis people) and I think the society we live in is not even remotely mature enough to address it and it makes make actively anxious to think about. Like if we can settle on 'it doesn't matter in 90% of cases and people should be able to compete with their chosen sex/gender' that would be swell.

Or even stop differentiating based on arbitrary societal norms and find measurable KPIs to group competitors.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bel Shazar posted:

Or even stop differentiating based on arbitrary societal norms and find measurable KPIs to group competitors.

There are very good reasons to differentiate and have competitions targeting certain groups of people. An example brought up often is chess. People often ask why there are women's only competitions when there appears to be no advantage gained by being a man? In this case being a man is the advantage. For a whole lot of reasons, societal, cultural, norms, etc, being a man is an advantage in and of itself. Men don't systemically get told to stay in the kitchen, and men in general don't have to face the sexism and vitriol that women do when they participate in a male dominated things.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

There are very good reasons to differentiate and have competitions targeting certain groups of people. An example brought up often is chess. People often ask why there are women's only competitions when there appears to be no advantage gained by being a man? In this case being a man is the advantage. For a whole lot of reasons, societal, cultural, norms, etc, being a man is an advantage in and of itself. Men don't systemically get told to stay in the kitchen, and men in general don't have to face the sexism and vitriol that women do when they participate in a male dominated things.

Clearly the solution is wholly anonymized sports. Blur the competitors for any potential teevee viewers, identify them by their numbers only, and let the chips fall where they may.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is all true, but it also misses the key sexism behind that reasoning: men do not want to lose to women.

Rappaport posted:

Clearly the solution is wholly anonymized sports. Blur the competitors for any potential teevee viewers, identify them by their numbers only, and let the chips fall where they may.

Tie it into superhero aesthetics and give 'em costumes and masks.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Young Freud posted:

Tie it into superhero aesthetics and give 'em costumes and masks.

I was thinking of the 'lube man' from Watchmen, but prominent boobs or external genitalia would still be a slight problem.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Somewhat encouragingly, I've noticed folks changing the way they talk about Trans/non-binary, seemingly in a positive direction.

I think it's due to more siblings, grandkids, nephews/nieces, or family friends identifying as non binary. A lot less casual cruelty wrt mocking or complaining about pronouns (though I still hear people, especially older, openly saying they "don't understand it" but with some empathy).

I also think its been harder for people to not see the loud craziness of the right, and they are being more careful not to be labeled as that.

There's still plenty Trump and gently caress Biden flags if you look, though. And the sports thing is very contentious, seems only committed leftists are willing to dismiss the idea of regulating trans participation.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

He seemed so normal in his 20s…

I think he probably was but then he got hit in the head several thousand times by giant monsters out for blood. Personality changes aren't surprising.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rappaport posted:

It's good to have a face and a person for people to look up to. Young Susie Jane isn't going to aspire to be an x because of competitor #36533. She's going to be inspired by someone "just like her" with a similar story and background.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

One of those high-society groups, the Opperman Foundation, has been handing out the "Ruth Bader Ginsburg Award" since 2019. Well, they changed something about the award for this year...

CNN posted:

The Ginsburg award “celebrates leaders who have demonstrated extraordinary accomplishments in their chosen fields,” according to an announcement by the foundation on Wednesday.

The award has “has previously recognized women of distinction,” the announcement read, but was expanded this year to include trailblazing men and women. The 2023 honoree was Barbra Streisand.

“Justice Ginsburg fought not only for women but for everyone,” said Julie Opperman, chair of the foundation, in a statement accompanying the announcement this week. “Going forward, to embrace the fullness of Justice Ginsburg’s legacy, we honor both women and men who have changed the world by doing what they do best.”
Now that equality prevails across the land and anyone can be awarded in RBG's name, which "trailblazing" figures won it this year you ask? Elon Musk and Rupert Murdoch.

RBG's family is not involved with the award and, like anyone who isn't a wealthy ghoul, isn't happy.

CNN posted:

The family of the late liberal Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg wants her name pulled off an award after the foundation in charge of doling it out named SpaceX CEO Elon Musk and conservative media mogul Rupert Murdoch among this year’s recipients.

In a statement obtained by CNN, Ginsburg’s family said that, with the selection of this year’s honorees, the Opperman Foundation had “strayed far from the original mission of the award and from what Justice Ginsburg stood for.”

Ginsburg’s family said they were not affiliated with the award and called the choices of honorees this year an “affront” to the justice’s memory.

They added that the family supports a letter by Trevor Morrison, a former Ginsburg clerk. “(N)ot everyone on this year’s slate reflects the values to which the Justice dedicated her career, and for which the Justice is rightly revered around the world,” the letter states.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BRJurgis posted:

Somewhat encouragingly, I've noticed folks changing the way they talk about Trans/non-binary, seemingly in a positive direction.

I think it's due to more siblings, grandkids, nephews/nieces, or family friends identifying as non binary. A lot less casual cruelty wrt mocking or complaining about pronouns (though I still hear people, especially older, openly saying they "don't understand it" but with some empathy).

I also think its been harder for people to not see the loud craziness of the right, and they are being more careful not to be labeled as that.

There's still plenty Trump and gently caress Biden flags if you look, though. And the sports thing is very contentious, seems only committed leftists are willing to dismiss the idea of regulating trans participation.

What's wrong with saying "I don't understand it" ?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Nothing, if it's an honest and earnest attempt to explain confusion or the like, followed by an equally sincere attempt to the find a way to understand. However, like so many other things it's far too often used as a bad faith dodge to avoid facing up to the reality on Tran/non-binary people existing and deserving all the dignity and respect of everyone else. You know, a dismissive handwave "well I just don't understand it" implying it's nonsense and the person in question needs to stop acting/being so weird.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Shooting Blanks posted:

Well, I guess it's one of the steps between being reactively fearful/intolerant, and accepting people being what they feel (and rightfully opposing those who would scapegoat and make war on a minority targeted by the culture war).

Let's face it, crazy uncle Frank probably isn't posting on SA from his lumber mill, but things have a way of polarizing when it comes to these discussions. Somebody who is a conservative (not necessarily republican) may be seen as a transphobe or troll JAQing off, should they reveal their ignorance or more traditional views. Whereas in real life "I don't understand it, but what's all the fuss about?" is a win as far as I'm concerned.

So whats wrong with "I don't understand"? Nothing necessarily, to me (I am not Trans or queer fwiw). But that kinda person is gonna bite on "mtf Transal athlete wins competition" every time, in my experience.

*edit* "why are Republicans so loving obsessed with peoples genitals and sex lives, you want the government in your pants and bedroom?" has been effective with some non leftists, in my experience. Doesn't much help with the sports issue, though.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 16, 2024

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

D-Pad posted:

I think he probably was but then he got hit in the head several thousand times by giant monsters out for blood. Personality changes aren't surprising.

Nah he’s always been like this, he cut out his weird toxic religious family early in his career and has always held ridiculous grudges even by football standards

The football hasn’t helped things, to be fair

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

BRJurgis posted:

*edit* "why are Republicans so loving obsessed with peoples genitals and sex lives, you want the government in your pants and bedroom?" has been effective with some non leftists, in my experience. Doesn't much help with the sports issue, though.

I don't see why not, the rhetoric for sports might be about one athlete winning an NCAA swimming race but the policy solution Republicans offer is having state appointed genital inspectors at middle school volleyball games.

You do have to convince them that that's the policy solution Republicans offer, but it's the same thing.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

James Garfield posted:

I don't see why not, the rhetoric for sports might be about one athlete winning an NCAA swimming race but the policy solution Republicans offer is having state appointed genital inspectors at middle school volleyball games.

You do have to convince them that that's the policy solution Republicans offer, but it's the same thing.

That's not the solution that Republicans offer. That's the solution liberals think they're offering, because they view everything through a lens of equality under the law, including equality of oppression.

The Republicans' policy solution is "We get to enforce whatever we choose, whenever we choose, against anyone we perceive to be stepping out of line. Don't worry about the details, we'll know it when we see it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Rebel Blob posted:

One of those high-society groups, the Opperman Foundation, has been handing out the "Ruth Bader Ginsburg Award" since 2019. Well, they changed something about the award for this year...

Now that equality prevails across the land and anyone can be awarded in RBG's name, which "trailblazing" figures won it this year you ask? Elon Musk and Rupert Murdoch.

RBG's family is not involved with the award and, like anyone who isn't a wealthy ghoul, isn't happy.

Are they updating the purpose of the award to recognize people with problematic racial inclinations, because that would track.