Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Well, almost made it to empowereds on my first ever character, but interest is starting to wane with DD2 and the next PoE league coming up. That said, this game is in an incredible place and well worth the price of admission. Will 100% be back in the future.

It’s been said a million times, but the foundations this game rests on are amazing. If this game stays on the PoE-lite trajectory it can carve out a very nice niche in the ARPG market.

- The crafting is intuitive and very player friendly while still having enough rng to make it fun
- Monoliths are a great starting point for an endgame loop. Fun alternative to PoE maps, although fairly lean in comparison. This will get better with time
- Factions are a stroke of genius. Despite playing PoE trade exclusively, SSF is really how I prefer these kinda games. Progression involves more variety than just farming the same high-value activity repeatedly
- Itemization and skills are actually fun too. Again, lean compared to PoE, but the room for growth is substantial. Interested to see how EHG cultivates build depth going forward. This game is down one “depth multiplier” (Skills x Passives x Items versus Skills x Supports x Passives x Items) compared to PoE, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

In 3-5 years we could have a real gem on our hands. It’ll be fun to play getting there too, ofc. If I had any real complaint, it’d probably just be the lack of cosmetics lol. And that feels wild to complain about in the GaaS mtx hell of 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I know the factions are getting universal praise but.. I kinda wish I could just do both at the same time. Profecies are fun, but so is finding stuff and selling it. Would being able to do both really be such a bad thing?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
That's kinda the point?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I finally just threw some Runes of Ascendance at cstalyst & got my Fragment of Enigma so I could swap my spellblade over to the full spark charge/lightning blast/static setup & it feels pretty great. When the Mana Strike/Frost Claw/Lightning combo procs it just deletes everything, and if there’s enough stuff to hit (tbh like 3-4 mobs is plenty) my Static is at full charge almost instantly. Just need to work on bumping up my % crit now so the Static refill is guaranteed every time, and then fill out attack speed and a few other things. Idk how much corruption it can push but it’s a pretty nice two-button build right now.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Erulisse posted:

That's kinda the point?

I get that the point is having to choose between 2 good things. My point is I would personally enjoy the game more if I didn't have to.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mikojan posted:

Would being able to do both really be such a bad thing?

That would shift the meta and expectations towards having to do both things.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
the whole point of cof is to give ssf players a tool to keep up with trade players, which it does fairly well imo

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
COF is fun and keeps the game from going stale too quickly for me.

Will you currently get your perfect gear faster in trade league? Sure, but how much do you enjoy sitting in front of the auction house window instead of actually playing the game?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I probably should have just started off playing in the trade faction. My entire stash is 90% filled with cool items I'll never use because I don't care that much for making dozens of characters. And I'm too burnt out to start from 0 (since all the cool gear I have is CoF limited).

Tonetta posted:

the whole point of cof is to give ssf players a tool to keep up with trade players, which it does fairly well imo

Well you could argue you could just not make the factions mutually exclusive, since SSF characters cannot use the AH anyway.

The only players left out would be the ones that want to trade with close friends though, but noone is forcing you to use the AH

Also, the idea that everyone is somehow in competition with eachother and that SSF isn't just a self imposed challenge but needs tools to 'keep up' is kinda weird to me

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 16, 2024

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Mikojan posted:

Also, the idea that everyone is somehow in competition with eachother and that SSF isn't just a self imposed challenge but needs tools to 'keep up' is kinda weird to me

It isn't just a self-imposed challenge. Plenty of people don't enjoy trading with other players, and giving those people an avenue to get good gear in a reasonable amount of time whips rear end.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The SSF faction is also for offline players who can't access the market regardless and so do in fact need options to keep up with trading players.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yeah, gating everything behind CoF 5 sucks for alts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my hot take is that it's good that playing SSF is balanced as just a normal game, and not only as some kind of sadomazo challenge, and i'd play poe a lot more if SSF was playable for normal people and not just streamers who play 20h/day so i'm glad cof exists

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Ghostlight posted:

The SSF faction is also for offline players who can't access the market regardless and so do in fact need options to keep up with trading players.

Yeah this has been nice. I started offline because of the launch issues and so I can pause and walk away whenever, wasn’t trying to impose more of a challenge. I’ll probably do online and the bazaar with the first season.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Do legendaries created from CoF keep the rank from the exalted?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ya

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I am REALLY struggling w/ the Empowered Reign of Dragon's boss and I want to pull what little hair I still have out :shepicide:

I'm a 87 Druid running a Bladeform build. I got the unique's (that isn't a high bar mind you with the build) I need w/ decent rolls but I just feel like my damage against bosses is too low. It takes me too long to burn through phases and I get nuked because I'm 1 second too slow jumping out of his instadeath bubble. Maybe I need to farm up better exalted's and come back?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my favorite thing about warlock is being able to hit ghostflame and just stand in poo poo lol. on my first character that attack straight up one shot me. on this character i can just channel through it and not move.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Unfortunate.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Awesome! posted:

if anyone else is looking for a merchant guild specific "valuable poo poo" filter i just found this one https://arreatsummit.gg/last-epoch/loot-filters/65f475d57b1bedde122822c8

thank you. i came here to ask about exactly this. i’m done with cof. it’s a nice idea because i really dislike game economies but it loving sucks in its current state.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think my only big wish for CoF is one of the tiers adding boss drops to the general loot table or prophecies or something.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

started a new mage to use some of the uniques I found. Between Avarice, Calamity, Prism Wraps, Firestarter's torch, and Tome of Elements, you can be pretty much kitted out by level 10

Spreading Flames also seems sick early on when you throw out a fireball and a whole pack insta-dies because it has 200 base damage, but I suspect that doesn't scale well. Fireball has some interesting nodes though. Not much synergy with other skills. Fireball doesn't seem to proc any other skills and nothing seems to proc fireball. Meteor buffs it a little though

Issakhar
Sep 10, 2009

Are Factions the seasonal (Cycle) gimmick or just a recent game feature?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The latter.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
What’s seasonal then? The exiled mages?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Issakhar posted:

Are Factions the seasonal (Cycle) gimmick or just a recent game feature?

we won't get seasonal gimmicks until season 3 or 4. everything coming up to then is base game content.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
I think this season is "the game exists" and will be included in all future seasons.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

shimmy shimmy posted:

I think this season is "the game exists" and will be included in all future seasons.

Well poo poo, there goes the possibility of a Schrödinger's Cat season :argh:

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Hit empowered monos, it seems like Monos But More and I might check out of the game for this season. It's really good and has a ton of potential but the endgame does seem a bit weak right now, which is totally understandable given the state of things. Will see if I get more of a reason to keep playing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there a target HP goal most people shoot for? Right now I’m at ~1500 HP and resistance capped on my Falconer for corruption 250 monoliths, which with my bird’s life leech is enough to withstand most first hits but still rather fragile against a lot of boss attacks. In this kind of kill or be killed environment, stacking Endurance seems somewhat useless. I have 35 crit resistance and recently picked up some boots that reduced critical hit damage by 45%, which seemed to make a huge difference. So I’m beginning to think crit mitigation is probably the most important EHP stat in the game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So what are factions? I stopped doing the main story after the kraken boss guy and just went after monoliths because loot and xp (and I had already gotten my bonus passive points and idol slots). Should I go back and finish the main story?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Dirk the Average posted:

So what are factions? I stopped doing the main story after the kraken boss guy and just went after monoliths because loot and xp (and I had already gotten my bonus passive points and idol slots). Should I go back and finish the main story?

one gives you access to the market, the other gives you buffs for finding drops. it opens up halfway through act 9 which i think you're really close to. after you get to it once (per season?) subsequent alts can join factions at the first town. worth doing

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phobeste posted:

one gives you access to the market, the other gives you buffs for finding drops. it opens up halfway through act 9 which i think you're really close to. after you get to it once (per season?) subsequent alts can join factions at the first town. worth doing

I just realized on my current alt that I never finished the campaign so I don't have access to my CoF Observatory buddies. Guess I have to go back and pick up act 9. Just have to figure out the fastest way to get there.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Going through temporal sanctum

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alts can go to the first town and reselect their faction. At least mine could.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

exquisite tea posted:

Alts can go to the first town and reselect their faction. At least mine could.

Oh I selected the faction, just need to open up the observatory waypoint so I can go there. Also I suppose I can bonk snake lady on the head for +1 attributes.

euphronius posted:

Going through temporal sanctum

Thanks.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Got up to 20 with my alt before remembering that leveling alts is terrible. I'm not going to do the whole campaign again, and I'm not going to practice every dungeon until I can dodge/tank every single mechanic with my eyes closed.

like, you mean to tell me I can't get hit by ANYTHING? without losing my whole key? I just wanna level an alt to try out a unique, not join a world first raiding guild.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Add movement speed everywhere. Don’t kill everything you see. You don’t have to do every side quest. Beeline through the maps. It’s not that bad

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

A Moose posted:

Got up to 20 with my alt before remembering that leveling alts is terrible. I'm not going to do the whole campaign again, and I'm not going to practice every dungeon until I can dodge/tank every single mechanic with my eyes closed.

like, you mean to tell me I can't get hit by ANYTHING? without losing my whole key? I just wanna level an alt to try out a unique, not join a world first raiding guild.

I tried to level 2 alts with not great twink gear (this probably would have helped but campaign again doesn't sound appealing at all). I didn't even get to 20. I think anymore I'm a one and done type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
That's what my mom said.

Wait.