Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zero_Grade posted:

Oh yeah, that was an extremely absurd detail juxtaposed against an otherwise serious part of the game, so very on-brand for Kojima. Also the only weapons you could use with it on are your most James Bond-rear end gadgets.

And it's even in character for Snake, showing how badly he functions in any context that's not being a sneaky soldier. Kind of a running theme in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey, how well does it hold up that Snake is revealed to not be who he says he is because Volgin grabs his nuts? On one hand I feel like this is kind of playing into that "bisexual villain" trope but it was also played kind of straight. I played MGS3 in a place and time and age where if our arms accidentally touched my bros and I would have to make a big show about how EEWWWWWW NOT GAY MAN I'M NOT GAY that is, and I felt really... impressed, how it played out?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

Hey, how well does it hold up that Snake is revealed to not be who he says he is because Volgin grabs his nuts? On one hand I feel like this is kind of playing into that "bisexual villain" trope but it was also played kind of straight. I played MGS3 in a place and time and age where if our arms accidentally touched my bros and I would have to make a big show about how EEWWWWWW NOT GAY MAN I'M NOT GAY that is, and I felt really... impressed, how it played out?

However that bit about Volgin originally came across, there's immediately a big oof moment where The Boss calls your disguise a "fairy mask" and mentions that it might rub off on you. So if you're like me and forgot what's covered by the outdated thematic content warning whenever you boot up the game, it's that :yikes: moment right there.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

DMorbid posted:

Ultimate Carnage did always have achievements, but only through Games for Windows Live (lol, lmao) and this new release just replaces all the GFWL bullshit with Steam stuff so you can get Steam achievements and have functional multiplayer.

Online multiplayer is gone in this version. Local and Lan only.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

However that bit about Volgin originally came across, there's immediately a big oof moment where The Boss calls your disguise a "fairy mask" and mentions that it might rub off on you. So if you're like me and forgot what's covered by the outdated thematic content warning whenever you boot up the game, it's that :yikes: moment right there.

That whole character is specifically a joke about the fan reaction to Raiden in MGS2.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Sininu posted:

Online multiplayer is gone in this version. Local and Lan only.
Oh, oops. Should've read the announcement more carefully. :eng99:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

credburn posted:

At least that makes a tiny amount sense since Volgin and Raidenovich are actually a couple, the one in MGS2 where the President just grabs Raiden's balls because he thinks he's a woman is just weird? Like why the hell is his first reaction to just sexually assault his rescuer?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of course it fools the guards but not the actual scientists. I wonder if Hitman got ideas from it with the social stealth aspects, since it works a lot like disguises do in the trilogy, where people who just see the lab coat are fooled but not the ones who actually know their co workers.

Probably not because they were already three games into the series when MGS3 released, and even the first Hitman had certain people see through disguises before even MGS2 released. And the one time they went full on "disguises are worthless against the ones you are pretending to be" was Absolution in 2012, which was widely hated, so much that 2016 brought it way back to just certain enemies seeing through it.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Hel posted:

At least that makes a tiny amount sense since Volgin and Raidenovich are actually a couple, the one in MGS2 where the President just grabs Raiden's balls because he thinks he's a woman is just weird? Like why the hell is his first reaction to just sexually assault his rescuer?
The president of the US of A being a gross creep is perhaps the least unlikely thing in those games, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Come to think of it most of MGS2 is also Raiden suffering comical indignities. He literally gets pissed on.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Thanks whatever goon it was that mentioned Starcom Nexus, it's filled with a lot of great little things. (Sure, some of the quest design does drag the main thing down, but I'm curious how it improves in the sequel.)

There's just a ton of fun little what-if stories spread through the game, I just love flying around and discovering little individual stories.
Like the factory planet that accidentally destroyed it's home civilization because it had a buffer underrun and ended up producing and shipping back trillions of trinkets with a mass driver.
(Said constant rain of cheap crap burned up in the atmosphere and slammed the planet into a nuclear winter of sorts.)

I also really like how the big mystery unfolds, and a lot more of the things you discover make sense afterwards, as the pieces start clicking together. And the game respects you enough to let you figure it out on your own.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Frosty Mossman posted:

The president of the US of A being a gross creep is perhaps the least unlikely thing in those games, though.

Remarkably prescient of the game to predict "grab them by the pussy"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Frosty Mossman posted:

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Playing Jagged Alliance 3 and goddamn I love how deadly an MG42 with exposed targets can be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's some fun incidental dialogue in Helldivers 2. Like the current objective in the war is to activate anti bug gas to clear out some planets. Upon returning to my ship I was informed that while the gas is lethal to bugs it is "100 percent" safe for all other life forms.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Come to think of it most of MGS2 is also Raiden suffering comical indignities. He literally gets pissed on.

The very first action available to Raiden when he arrives is slipping and falling down into a pile of seagull droppings.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

The very first action available to Raiden when he arrives is slipping and falling down into a pile of seagull droppings.

That's a great bit. I like how it starts off as a silly gag, but it's gotten me both times I've played through the game, when you go back there later and it turns out falling on your rear end is not the best tactical move now that it's a hostile environment.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
I put off playing The Void Rains Upon Her Heart for months because I'm old and infirm, weak and peaceful now, and my frail eye joints can no longer handle shmups generally. But now I've given it a go and I have to say despite it being a darling in at least three threads I regularly read nobody has quite sold how goddamn adorable it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

I put off playing The Void Rains Upon Her Heart for months because I'm old and infirm, weak and peaceful now, and my frail eye joints can no longer handle shmups generally. But now I've given it a go and I have to say despite it being a darling in at least three threads I regularly read nobody has quite sold how goddamn adorable it is.

Huh. I played it and enjoyed it but I've never seen anyone talking about it. I must be reading the wrong threads.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Huh. I played it and enjoyed it but I've never seen anyone talking about it. I must be reading the wrong threads.

It pops up in the roguelikes thread when they're not having insufferable arguments about genre classifications. I assume there's a shmups thread somewhere, too.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
There is!

Following both threads is great because at the same time the roguelike thread is like "Hmm yes, I had an adequate time with my 996 hours on RogueClassic: No Graphics Edition but the iconography was a bit maudlin for my taste. I guess it's worth a look if you're desperate for a roguelike that isn't a deckbuilder. (slur)" And at the exact same time the poor content-starved shmup thread is going "Yes! Finally! GooSoft Business Service 3 is putting out an arcade-perfect port of Boobie DeluXe 2: Fourth Trimester Luvbotomy (the 28th game in the Boobie DeluXe series) with 720p upscaling! We're living in the future!"

And hell, they're both right.

SkeletonHero has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Mar 14, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It pops up in the roguelikes thread when they're not having insufferable arguments about genre classifications. I assume there's a shmups thread somewhere, too.

Neat. It's a fun game but a bit hard to recommend. I pointed it out to a friend who compared it to the comic Love Is... and I can't say it's an unfair thing.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

In an Infinite Wealth minigame which usually has an alternate battle system I was wishing Kasuga could just skip that system and just straight beat up this one guy and then I won the battle and the guy ended up picking a regular fight with me and I kicked his rear end, it was great. I went from "I wish I could just punch him" to "OH MY GOD I GET TO PUNCH HIM :swoon:"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Solenna posted:

In an Infinite Wealth minigame which usually has an alternate battle system I was wishing Kasuga could just skip that system and just straight beat up this one guy and then I won the battle and the guy ended up picking a regular fight with me and I kicked his rear end, it was great. I went from "I wish I could just punch him" to "OH MY GOD I GET TO PUNCH HIM :swoon:"

That's always been the fun trick with Yakuza minigames, whenever things escalate there is the convenient dispensing of cathartic over-the-top violence.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I picked up Mario Odyssey again for my next casual time-wasting game, and I always forget about all the 8-bit throwback stuff since it's not the big primary gimmick. But it's so much fun, feeling like the original but with updated sprites and mechanics, and the way it's laid out over the main 3D environment is just really neat. I dunno what else to say about it, except gimme more of it, Nintendo :pray:

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's always been the fun trick with Yakuza minigames, whenever things escalate there is the convenient dispensing of cathartic over-the-top violence.

I was so mad that I didn't get to do any punching in the business minigame in 7, this was way better.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Leal posted:

Healers in Unicorn Overlord will use their heal ability if you kill the enemy before they use it normally. Always nice when an RPG, especially ones where you can't use the heal abilities outside of combat, don't punish you by immediately ending the combat worse than if you let the enemy live just slightly longer for the heal cast to go off.

I do appreciate that, trying to keep an enemy alive just to continue another round to cast healing is occasionally a fun challenge, but usually just frustrating and/or tedious.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Solenna posted:

I was so mad that I didn't get to do any punching in the business minigame in 7, this was way better.

Omelette is taking care of the legbreaking side of Ichiban Holdings

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm sure the literal office supplies ninja has nothing to do with it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ms Adequate posted:

I love slapping people with the cock during the shareholder meetings.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mierenneuker posted:

I love slapping people with the cock during the shareholder meetings.

I know you just said it so I would change the thread title. Of course it worked, I can't say no to a dick joke

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Philippe posted:

I know you just said it so I would change the thread title. Of course it worked, I can't say no to a dick joke

Oh, I've whipped that one out several times before in several places, so there's not more to it. But I'm always thrilled when it is appreciated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mierenneuker posted:

Oh, I've whipped that one out several times before in several places, so there's not more to it. But I'm always thrilled when it is appreciated.

Makes sense; It is the favourite little things thread, after all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Makes sense; It is the favourite little things thread, after all.

Brutal

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
The Saboteur recently became available on steam for $5 (USD) and it still holds up in a lot of ways (the soundtrack is so good). The thing I'm posting about, though, is arguably not a "little" thing: it's the way they use color. Areas of Paris that are under Nazi control are in black and white (and red), and color returns to the area when you liberate it (blow up enough stuff/do a specific mission). They use this in a pretty effective way near the end of the tutorial. You've been introduced to the color thing already, and Sean (the protagonist) and his best friend Jules are in a colorful area getting up to shenanigans (revenge on a Nazi who cheated during the race). Spoilers for anyone who somehow still hasn't played The Saboteur: Sean and Jules then get captured by Nazis and tortured. When the head Nazi finally gets frustrated enough to kill Jules to try to get Sean to talk, the color drains out of everything as the camera focuses on Sean's screaming and crying face. I think it's a really cool way to mix story and game mechanics. Anyway, then you escape and begin the long but satisfying task of exploding every Nazi in Paris and singing along to Ella Fitzgerald and Nina Simone (that last part isn't in the game, that's just me :shobon: ).

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the bare tits code that came with my copy didn't work

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Marcade posted:

Playing Jagged Alliance 3 and goddamn I love how deadly an MG42 with exposed targets can be.

I lied. My new favorite little thing is sniping a boss with my sniper armed with a supressed .50 loaded with SLAP rounds.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

There's some fun incidental dialogue in Helldivers 2. Like the current objective in the war is to activate anti bug gas to clear out some planets. Upon returning to my ship I was informed that while the gas is lethal to bugs it is "100 percent" safe for all other life forms.

There's some really good lines.

quote:

All of those friendly fire incidents were completely unavoidable.

High casualty rate missions imply the existence of low casualty rate missions and I think we can all take solace in that.

The helldivers have some good lines too like "sweet liberty, my arm!" or deranged laughing when you shoot a weapon for several seconds straight. Their tone gets more stressed and panicky if you're in a fight or people are dying.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I have been a long-time neutral party when it comes to Yakuza, but games 0 through 6 were on sale for 40 bucks, so I bought them. I've been told a "good" order for the games is Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 0, then the rest in order, so I'm doing that now

I just left the funeral in Kiwami 1/Beginning Chapter 4. Kiryu is such a numbskull, Shinji is such a badass, and I really can't wait to free roam around this place. I really thought I would far around for a while and then save/quit like I've done a couple other games lately, but I'm invested :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

bawk posted:

I have been a long-time neutral party when it comes to Yakuza, but games 0 through 6 were on sale for 40 bucks, so I bought them. I've been told a "good" order for the games is Kiwami 1, Kiwami 2, 0, then the rest in order, so I'm doing that now

I just left the funeral in Kiwami 1/Beginning Chapter 4. Kiryu is such a numbskull, Shinji is such a badass, and I really can't wait to free roam around this place. I really thought I would far around for a while and then save/quit like I've done a couple other games lately, but I'm invested :allears:

That is in fact the absolute wrong order, you were completely lied to. Start with 0 and go in order from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eh, keep going if you're into it already. 0 originally came out after 5, I think.